Does anyone here eat real food?

Options

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I looked at the "clean eating" brigade, but that's a bit too faddy for me. Our ancestors ate white bread, just not at every meal!
    So my ideal is to try to avoid overprocessed food, eat things with an ingredient list I recognise and is in season if possible.
    As I'm in the UK, some of the suggestions will be a bit transatlantic for me and the available food market here :wink:

(Currently new potatoes are in season, sweet potatoes aren't)

Thank you for all your input so far. Please keep it up. Friend requests also wanted if you think we can motivate each other or swap recipes

The white bread our ancestors ate was significantly different than the mass produced, modern white bread. Bread is easy to make so you can avoid that issue if eating clean. If you don't want to make your own, find a good bakery.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    In for the "chemicals are bad" discussion.

I'm sure it's coming...
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    An ordinary kitchen using ITEMS our ancestors would recognised. Check for sentence construction before putting typing fingers in gear :tongue:
    I still use my grandmothers saucepans!

I cook from scratch every day unless away (often cooking while away as well) and cannot imagine my kitchen without many modern appliances including my KitchenAid stand mixer that is used daily, often multiple times. If you restrict with respect to food prep you will of course limit yourself as to what dishes you can make.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    An ordinary kitchen using ITEMS our ancestors would recognised. Check for sentence construction before putting typing fingers in gear :tongue:

I cook from scratch every day unless away (often cooking while away as well) and cannot imagine my kitchen without many modern appliances including my KitchenAid stand mixer that is used daily, often multiple times. If you restrict with respect to food prep you will of course limit yourself as to what dishes you can make.
    I am looking for recipes that are manageable without food processors or microwaves or fancy expensive equipment I can't afford in money or kitchen space. My kitchen is very small and has minimum machinery other than chopping boards, good knives, wooden spoons, whisks etc. Also an electric kettle and a gas stove. :flowerforyou:
    I don't see that the lack of machinery would limit me overly. I bake bread, make merengues, danish pastry, puff and flaky pastry all without a mixer or processor
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    no I only eat vegan food
  • jamoore94
    jamoore94 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos! I am obsessed with them this time of year.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Nope, I eat fake food.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    no I only eat vegan food

So do I, also I eat vegetarian and meat and fish :wink:
  • doIdaretoeatapeach
    doIdaretoeatapeach Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How about tabbouleh with lots of chopped parsley, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers, topped with some tangy feta cheese? Hmm, maybe I should make that next week for lunch. It's tomato and cucumber season here.

Are courgettes the same as cukes? Or are they something else in American English? :tongue:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I cook up a big batch of ground turkey with mushrooms, peppers & onions on Sunday. You can put that on a salad, tacos, all kinds of stuff. I also steam up a big bag of kale. Never thought I would like kale, but I actually crave it, so good!! That's real food, no fat free crap or processed junk. Could also grill up some chicken breast to have on hand. I'm all about the prep! Good luck!
    Lovin your ideas, yes keeping it simple and pre-prepped is the key!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    How about tabbouleh with lots of chopped parsley, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers, topped with some tangy feta cheese? Hmm, maybe I should make that next week for lunch. It's tomato and cucumber season here.

Are courgettes the same as cukes? Or are they something else in American English? :tongue:

chemical overload
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options
    I'm looking for more ideas for my lunches and dinners, BUT I only eat things that could be prepared in an ordinary kitchen using items that our ancestors would readily recognise apart from minor diversions when I go out to eat! (Ben and Jerrys!):bigsmile:

Lettuce wraps are nice for lunch. You can use a wide variety of fillings including a rice or quinoa mixture with vegetables.
    That's possible! I have a nice lettuce ready for harvesting.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Where do you find the group?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17234-the-perimeter-shoppers
    I cook up a big batch of ground turkey with mushrooms, peppers & onions on Sunday. You can put that on a salad, tacos, all kinds of stuff. I also steam up a big bag of kale. Never thought I would like kale, but I actually crave it, so good!! That's real food, no fat free crap or processed junk. Could also grill up some chicken breast to have on hand. I'm all about the prep! Good luck!
    Lovin your ideas, yes keeping it simple and pre-prepped is the key!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Courgette = Zucchini
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the entire thread...but I do eat all the foods, and since I started logging consistently, we don't really consider anything off limits, because moderation. What we usually do is just cook an extra portion of whatever we had at dinner the night before, and I pack it and bring it to work for lunch.

Because honestly? I don't move too quickly in the morning, so trying to put something together then is just a dumb idea for me, because then there is no telling WHAT is in the box then, LOL... :bigsmile:
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Options

No, courgettes are what you would call zucchini. Tabbouleh sounds good, got a nice recipe?
  • leahking6
    leahking6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My new passion is brocolli slaw. It is in the produce section with the bagged already cut/sliced veggies. I made spaghetti for the kiddos this week and instead of using white pasta for mine I used the brocolli slaw. I opened the bag, added a little ollive oil, a little water to the bottom of the pan and sauteed it until it was slightly tender. Then used it just like noodles. Last night, i fixed it again only this time I used alfredo sauce and a rotisserie chicken I had gotten from the grocery store de-skinned and de-boned and had in my freezer. Made nice leftovers both times for mine and my hubbys lunch.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Industrial, Commercial, or Residential construction?

I love real estate talk :love:

But seriously... pizza is real food. So is every pre-packaged or non-packaged food that goes into my mouth.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for more ideas for my lunches and dinners, BUT I only eat things that could be prepared in an ordinary kitchen using items that our ancestors would readily recognise apart from minor diversions when I go out to eat! (Ben and Jerrys!):bigsmile:

I eat a baked protein like chicken or salmon with a steamed veggie and some sort of grain. Really easy and I make it flavorful by adding lots of spices.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    No, I eat that plastic food that comes with tiny fake kitchens.

Plastic+play+food+toy+1.JPG