Sugar Addiction Help

Options

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Here's my thesis. If you stop eating it, you will no longer crave it. Just stop for a week or two and you will ask yourself why you even liked to eat sweets. It worked for me and it's worth a shot.
    Pass on that. I don't see the point in not eating it if I really want it

I creeped your profile. First, look at you, you probably burn 2500 - 3000 calories a day just sitting around due to all the muscle mass you have. Second, isn't EMT rather physically demanding sometimes? And you work out. Of course you have calories to spare for treats.

I also notice you say you don't drink soda or eat fast food, right? So what if you want to? How is giving up those things different from giving up other things someone else wants in order to have a healthy weight?
  • 7w6sxChris
    7w6sxChris Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I cant do things in moderation, if I start I keep going! I cut it out completely for a couple weeks and after a bit your taste buds adjust to where it doesnt effect you the same. Artificial sweeters are the worst, dont turn to them!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Oh goodie. Another evil sugar thread.

2mm6a8p.jpg
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    raw
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I didn't. I worked it into my macros where I could and ate other things when I couldn't.

QFT

Um, what does QFT mean?
  • ValGogo
    Options
    For me white bread was like a gateway drug :) I literally would butter a piece of wonder bread and coat it in white sugar. Ok, I know that sounds repulsive, and it probably was, but I loved it.

Nope, sounds good to me. Toast that sugar with a little blow torch and you've got a Wonder Bread Brulee :)

WOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I cant do things in moderation, if I start I keep going! I cut it out completely for a couple weeks and after a bit your taste buds adjust to where it doesnt effect you the same. Artificial sweeters are the worst, dont turn to them!

Then you have a self-control issue, not a sugar or moderation issue. Self-control is necessary to weight loss and maintaining weight loss, so . . . yeah. Good luck.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    If you want to stop eating ice cream and cookies, then the answer is simple. Stop buying them. Stop making them. Don't let friends or family be an excuse to buy them. If, in the event that you plan a treat for say a birthday party, have a serving.

I advise NOT to use artificial sweeteners. They will not help you move away from wanting super sweet things, they will likely make it worse. Science has shown us that when we "crave" sugar we're needing energy, as another response states. A craving for chocolate can be cured by eating a sweet apple. The apple provides much more sustainability.

We are hard wired to look for calorie-dense foods from a survivalist perspective, but we don't need to do that anymore. The way you beat something like this is sheer willpower. Don't buy, don't put it in your face. If you can't do it by yourself, entrust a family member to help you. Buy single serve packets if you do decide to have it so you don't have more than that. Drop the excuses that you use to permit yourself the noms.

This is a smart cookie. Ooops, I said cookie!
  • ValGogo
    Options
    otcg.gif

No but seriously, sugar is not an addictive substance. Your body craves quick energy, sugar provides that. If you're concerned about getting proper nutrients, maybe try eating fruit instead of sugary candy or whatever.

Sugar is like cocain and a poison to your brain, http://www.drperlmutter.com/

Cocaine, and ay dios mio, please stop.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to my fitness pal. I wanted to offer everyone suffering from sugar addiction who is struggling with "willpower" and "changing your habits" an AMAZING thing that worked for me - I've only been doing it two days. It is called the "eat green tea" "diet". You don't DRINK the tea, you EAT it. It sounds "stupid" or "too easy", but I was AMAZED at how it changed my life. Simplified, the people who have done it and lost LOTS of weight are doing the following: (1) NOT changing their diet (it CHANGES BY ITSELF as you eat the tea), (2) NOT exercising (many are so overweight and lethargic that exercise is EXTREMELY difficult), they become more active as they consume more tea. (3) they EAT three green tea bag contents per day and THEN "step it up" by adding 1 then 2 then 3 bags (or more) of OOLONG tea a day in the same way.

Strong 1st post; tea bag eating, reducing cravings. I'll just let that one alone; you may have posted in the wrong section AND wrong thread AND wrong site.

IN for teabagging,
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Here's my thesis. If you stop eating it, you will no longer crave it. Just stop for a week or two and you will ask yourself why you even liked to eat sweets. It worked for me and it's worth a shot.
    Pass on that. I don't see the point in not eating it if I really want it

I creeped your profile. First, look at you, you probably burn 2500 - 3000 calories a day just sitting around due to all the muscle mass you have. Second, isn't EMT rather physically demanding sometimes? And you work out. Of course you have calories to spare for treats.

I also notice you say you don't drink soda or eat fast food, right? So what if you want to? How is giving up those things different from giving up other things someone else wants in order to have a healthy weight?

You left out the part where I lost 75 lbs in order to get to where I am.
    An EMT can be physically demanding. Sometimes not so much.
    3000 calories is actually the amount of calories I bulk on. And so you know my daily intake is about 1900.
    I don't drink soda for the simple fact that I would rather eat a cookie instead of drinking a soda. But if I want a soda I would drink it, and I have. Just not like I used to.

I don't eat fast food because it isn't easy getting in 700 or 1000 calories in of McDonalds, hitting accurate macros and not remaining hungry. I do eat KFC often, have had french fries plenty of time and eat pizza 3x per week. So i guess maybe I do eat fast food.

Fair enough, you didn't specify why you don't drink soda or eat fast food. However, I'm sure you can see how a more sedentary person with less muscle mass might avoid, for example, fast food in order to make it easier to stay under calorie goals and also avoid cookies for the same reason.
  • jeannelabanane
    jeannelabanane Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    At first I quit cold turkey - for a few days, to get my cravings in check.

I was a MAJOR sugar addict. I could eat a box of 20 timbits to myself, two chocolate bars at a time, or eat almost an entire box of oreos.

I can't keep to a plan without sugar. Every time I would try to "diet" cold turkey I would always fall off the wagon. Moderation is key. Now I have sugar through fruit, yogurt and the occasional 2 oreos. :) Usually, if I have a treat like oreos - it's at the end of the day when I know I can fit them into my daily goals - and I take 2 from the bag and do not return.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Have it every day!! I just make it fit in my daily calories!! Moderation is the key word!! :bigsmile:

ETA: spelling
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Easy. Don't buy it.

I have no "treats" in my house. If it's not there I'm way more likely to grab an apple, or just go without.
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    most people say this is making us fat how do we beat it but the thing is i think we shouldn't beat it but we should just control it like set your self a maximum amount of sugar on your diary mine is 120g i know how bad but this is a maximum not a goal and if you want chocolate, apples, dried figs and fizzy cola bottles thats fine but just not all in one go.
    before you actually put the food in your mouth just look at your diary and think i have had blar blar blar today this is a lot of sugar so im not aloud it and i will have to pick something else instead...
    (my tip is if you wait a while the cravings were of)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

No but seriously, sugar is not an addictive substance. Your body craves quick energy, sugar provides that. If you're concerned about getting proper nutrients, maybe try eating fruit instead of sugary candy or whatever.

There are studies that would suggest sugar actually does stimulate the same parts of the brain as other drugs.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sugar+addictive

Everything we eat stimulates the pleasure center of the brain. We are rewarded for eating food, because it is a survival thing. Not because it is addictive.