Does low carb make you lose faster?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I don't know all the scientific stuff.

But I do know that when I did low carb the weight fell off me consistently.

Now it's barely moving.

And since I know someone's going to ask - I weigh everything with a food scale.
    Hold on a second. You asked the original question itt and then give that respose? What was the point of the thread?

Trying to figure out WHY.

It could simply be a cycle I'm in. I may have hit a pleateu with low carb as well.

Why are you getting offended? Because I lost more while eating less carbs?

Are you in a plateau? How long has your weight loss been stalled?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Now it's barely moving.

Wait - Just the other day you were singing the praises of "eating more" and the weight was falling off.
  • sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    I do have PCOS and insulin resistance like many obese people. I don't eat "low carb" but I do eat foods that are low glycemic index. Every time I eat a small amount of carbs (mostly from fruit/whole grains? I make sure the meal includes a little bit of protein to lower the overall gi of the meal. I also eat very small meals about every 2-4 hours (whenever I am hungry), so a meal for me would look like a yogurt and 27 grams of grainola or 2oz of chicken and some whole grain chips with 100 grams of raspberries...

I also track everything I eat and do calorie control.

When I eat like this I lose weight because my calories are at a deficit. Also though, I *feel* better and less hungry than I ever did just doing low calories and high carbs. I sleep better too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Now it's barely moving.

Hold on a second. You asked the original question itt and then give that respose? What was the point of the thread?

It could simply be a cycle I'm in. I may have hit a pleateu with low carb as well.

Are you in a plateau? How long has your weight loss been stalled?

Less than 5 days since his last post on this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1355025-i-thought-the-eat-more-food-people-were-crazy?page=4
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    I want to go low carb to help lose weight faster but I know it's not something I can stick to long term and would just gain the weight back. I'm trying to make this a long term lifestyle change so it's not realistic to eat such low carbs for the rest of my life.

Exactly! I have to have my carbs. I'd be lying to myself and everyone else if I said I could live the rest of my life with hardly any. Lol!. However, I've cut back quite a bit. :smile:

It sure will speed up weight loss, but it'll be temporary once you revert back. Not discouraging you from doing as you please, but if I were you, I'd just try my best to follow a balanced diet that I can live with. From my experience, telling yourself that you can't have something, makes you want it that much more. :laugh:

Good luck on your weight loss! I wish you success! :happy:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member

Now it's barely moving.

Because people have presented you a plethora of information and it seems you've chosen to remain ignorant.

Anyway, weightloss is not a linear process. I've had weeks where I didn't lose a thing, followed by a week dropping 4lbs+. Impatience will be your downfall if you continue to leap from one plan to another.
  • LisaBear1986
    LisaBear1986 Posts: 85 Member
    for most people yes. keeping insulin low(not eating carbs) as long as possible will speed up fat loss. when you eat carbs you secrete insulin. insulin is responsible for shuttling in nutrients to fat cells and limits fat oxidation when its elevated in the blood. a good compromise is dont eat any carbs until after your workout in the afternoon evening. its effective and you wont go totally nuts
    None of that is necessary. Carbs can be whenever, not just after the afternoon workout. Fast loss is not going to speed up to to timing carbs.

On the whole fat oxidizing, you can't just look at the process of when insulin secreted. There are peaks and valleys and the valleys have to outweigh the peaks.

Saying someone will not go crazy eating the way you suggest is your opinion not a fact. I know many people including myself That would find eating like that to be a pain and unnecessary.

Low carb is effective due to a reduction in calories. Not because it's low carb. If you replaced the calories with protein you somehow lose weight because carbs are low. It's about overall calories, not just carbs.

FYI- protein also creates an insulin response.

I've always been a little confused by the peaks and valleys.

If I eat 10 small meals a day, even though in a calorie defecit, won't I consistently be in a peak because I'm eating very often and the body doesn't have much time to go into a valley?
    The body is constantly storing and burning at the same time. The metabolism is like a set of dimmer switches, not a set of on/off switches. in an overall deficit, burning will outpace the storing. The opposite is true for a surplus.

^All of this. Anyone that tells you low carb makes you lose weight faster because of insulin response doesn't understand how the body works. As @MrM27 stated, insulin has a basal level and is always present. Protein also stimulates an insulin response. Low carb will lead to faster initial weight loss due to muslce glycogen depletion (water weight), but fat loss is dependent on calories in vs out. Low carb followers lose weight due to caloric deficit, not the fact that they consume less carbs.

Meal timing/frequency doesn't inhibit weight loss, calories in vs out determines weight loss. So even if you at 20 small meals, your net caloric deficit is all that matters. As @eric_sg61 stated, your metabolism doesn't turn on or off.

I absolutely agree with this. If you take in more carbs/calories than your body needs and you don't burn them, they turn into fat. Gotta find a balance in your diet and exercise regime.
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member

Now it's barely moving.

Because people have presented you a plethora of information and it seems you've chosen to remain ignorant.

Anyway, weightloss is not a linear process. I've had weeks where I didn't lose a thing, followed by a week dropping 4lbs+. Impatience will be your downfall if you continue to leap from one plan to another.

WTF are you talking about? Where did I choose to remain ignorant ... and when was I EVER ignorant? I simply said that I lost weight very quickly eating a low amount of carbs and when I switched to just CICO it slowed down. I THEN said it could have been a coincidence and I'm just trying to figure out why it happened.

So seriously, WTF are you talking about?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    there is no debate. insulin blunts fat loss

fats and protein are essential for survival. carbs are not. protein is more thermogenic in its metabolism and necessary for maintanence of muscle tissue. cutting protein will slow metabolic rate and lead to muscle loss which will also reduce metabolism. reducing carbs is the easiest way to keep metabolism high and lose weight

Bro, do you even science?
  • AnswerzPwease

Now it's barely moving.

No. I'm not offended, that's a ridiculous statement. I don't care how you lost the weight. One thing I will never be is jealous of anyone on MFP.

Just seems like you like to ask questions just to ask questions. Luckily for me is that as of last week I don't see your posts on my news feed.

So your upset because I ask questions ... I see. Didn't mean to hurt your delicate sensibilities.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member

Now it's barely moving.

WTF are you talking about? Where did I choose to remain ignorant ... and when was I EVER ignorant? I simply said that I lost weight very quickly eating a low amount of carbs and when I switched to just CICO it slowed down. I THEN said it could have been a coincidence and I'm just trying to figure out why it happened.

So seriously, WTF are you talking about?
    The very first line in all this quoting.

Also note, I said "it seems", so if I'm wrong, just correct me. No need to get rageful.
  • QuietBloom

Now it's barely moving.

No. I'm not offended, that's a ridiculous statement. I don't care how you lost the weight. One thing I will never be is jealous of anyone on MFP.

Just seems like you like to ask questions just to ask questions. Luckily for me is that as of last week I don't see your posts on my news feed.

So your upset because I ask questions ... I see. Didn't mean to hurt your delicate sensibilities.

No, it frustrating to carefully answer your questions, and then have you start a whole new thread that makes it obvious that you didn't even read the answers.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    bump
  • jeo43078
    jeo43078 Posts: 2
    I love doing low carb.. if you do it right you are hardly ever hungry :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member

Now it's barely moving.

:laugh:
    nosey boop
  • AnswerzPwease

Now it's barely moving.

Haha. The level of insignificance you present in my life actually prevents you from getting me upset.

I do think you like to waste members time with questions that people have already given you the answers to before but you just don't get it.

On your keyboard, there is a down arrow. And on many computer mouses, there is a scroll bottom. All you have to do is simple press down firmly and repeatedly on the down button or scroll lightly on the mouse to move past my thread on the thread list and move on with your life.

Voila - waste of time diminished.
  • AnswerzPwease

Now it's barely moving.

No, it frustrating to carefully answer your questions, and then have you start a whole new thread that makes it obvious that you didn't even read the answers.

Go ahead and show where I asked this question and it was answered... I'll wait.

I started a thread once, where 15 pages into it it may have devolved into this discussion -- but I did not ask it.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    No .. it is stupid. Carbs are needed for energy for your body .. unless you plan on sitting and watching tv all day, have some carbs.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    straw man
  • QuietBloom

Now it's barely moving.

Go ahead and show where I asked this question and it was answered... I'll wait.

I started a thread once, where 15 pages into it it may have devolved into this discussion -- but I did not ask it.

So just because YOU haven't specifically asked a question you cannot benefit from a discussion that involves the answer? More likely that you are can't be bothered to seek out your own answers for your questions or follow discussions that have occurred in your own posts. That is called intellectual laziness.

Well, at least you are finally being honest about it.