Does low carb make you lose faster?

Options

Replies

• linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    No .. it is stupid. Carbs are needed for energy for your body .. unless you plan on sitting and watching tv all day, have some carbs.

I get my energy from dietary fat - coconut oil, avocado, nuts etc, - I do not need carbs for energy. I work 2 jobs and do not sit on my butt for either of them. I have plenty of energy on this woe. 5% carbs, 25% protein, 70% fat
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    No .. it is stupid. Carbs are needed for energy for your body .. unless you plan on sitting and watching tv all day, have some carbs.

fthmh4.gif

There's only one word above that accurately describes your statement.

Carbs (well glucose) are needed by the body, but dietary carbs are not! They are optimal but not essential.

Limiting your intake is healthy, especially if you are someone that currently over indulges.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The body produces sugar on its own by the liver when needed. So no real need for carbs at all
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The body produces sugar on its own by the liver when needed. So no real need for carbs at all
    Not true at all. You seem to be confused on how the body works by saying the body doesn't need carbs at all.

if a person ate 2000 calories from nothing but sugar and took a few omega 3 and amino tabs to stay alive I promise you they would lose weight more slowly than someone eating 2000 from protein and fat
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Not true at all. You seem to be confused on how the body works by saying the body doesn't need carbs at all.

if a person ate 2000 calories from nothing but sugar and took a few omega 3 and amino tabs to stay alive I promise you they would lose weight more slowly than someone eating 2000 from protein and fat

Like twinkies?

27 lbs in 10 weeks is not slow.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

It's probably the opposite. If someone was only getting there calories from sugar and eating in a deficit they would likely lose mainly lean mass. So would lose probably double the weight.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Dietary carbs are not essential for human existence. However they are 'in limited quantities' optimal for best health. And if someone is heavily resistance training or performing a lot of anarobic exercise then a larger quantity is probably best.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

something like that has been observed in a clinical trial, exchanging 100g of glucose for the equivalent cals of fat practically stopped weight loss at least in the short term. 21 g/day protein, 1700 cals, diet 3 has 56g of glucose, diet 4 has 156g :-
    diet4vs3.png
  • charlieibeling
    Options

You are using ridiculous extreme example to try and prove a point and you failed at it.

First of, no one here is saying to eat 2000 calories of sugar so don't try that lame argument. I'm not surprised though due to the quality of your bro posts that you lack the skill to have a reasonable debate.

its to show that there is more to weight loss than calories in vs calories out. if it were this simple then 2000 calories of sugar would work just the same. my science is based on years of teaching it, training in it and training countless other people
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Oh, have we reached the absurd comparisons portion already? I love this part!

Which will help you lose weight faster, 500 calories of organic grass-fed beef from a local farm cow who you helped deliver, name, and crocheted sweaters for in colder weather, OR 500 calories of gelatinous goo-like substance scraped out of a truck-stop deep fryer that the cooks use for "can we fry it" experiments after the dinner rush?
  • charlieibeling
    Options

You are using ridiculous extreme example to try and prove a point and you failed at it.

First of, no one here is saying to eat 2000 calories of sugar so don't try that lame argument. I'm not surprised though due to the quality of your bro posts that you lack the skill to have a reasonable debate.

its to show that there is more to weight loss than calories in vs calories out. if it were this simple then 2000 calories of sugar would work just the same. my science is based on years of teaching it, training in it and training countless other people
    Your example actually didn't show what you are trying to prove.

You are trying to discredit CICO by ignoring TEF, micronutrient necessity and the need for protein and fat minimums for overall health. So again, your extreme example is flawed.

not making an arguement for overall health. just simply weight loss. I find it strange that you use Int. fasting but still take this stance. IF is based primarily on controlling insulin in a fasted state
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Oh, have we reached the absurd comparisons portion already? I love this part!

Which will help you lose weight faster, 500 calories of organic grass-fed beef from a local farm cow who you helped deliver, name, and crocheted sweaters for in colder weather, OR 500 calories of gelatinous goo-like substance scraped out of a truck-stop deep fryer that the cooks use for "can we fry it" experiments after the dinner rush?

eww :laugh:
    barf-city!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a trend with people who post about their weight loss stalling is that they are all on low carb diets.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    ME_463_StrawMan-640x199.png

:laugh:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I attribute my 70-ish pound success with low carb to it helping me be consistent. I no longer had days where I ate well followed by days where I covered myself in shame and cookie crumbs.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Your example actually didn't show what you are trying to prove.

You are trying to discredit CICO by ignoring TEF, micronutrient necessity and the need for protein and fat minimums for overall health. So again, your extreme example is flawed.

not making an arguement for overall health. just simply weight loss. I find it strange that you use Int. fasting but still take this stance. IF is based primarily on controlling insulin in a fasted state

Don't bother. This is an old argument that gets done over and over again. Some will say it's all purely CICO and then in the next breath talk about macros and micros. They don't see the inherent contradiction that if micros and macros are important, then it can't be all about CICO only. The way most try to reconcile it is by making this silly differentiation between health and weight loss, and even that doesn't fully reconcile the contradictions.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a trend with people who post about their weight loss stalling is that they are all on low carb diets.

Really? I've noticed the other way -- that there are more people on IIFYM or CICO based diets that have stall issues, but then that's usually blamed on inaccurate logging. I imagine stalling is not exclusive to either, but more the nature of weight loss for many.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Low carb, low fat, calorie deficit, etc. allows me to have more bourbon.

angelsenvy.jpg