Anybody doing The 21 Day Fix

Options

Replies

• ammossrn
    ammossrn Posts: 43
    Options
    Not loving the calorie burn in this program. I got almost double in Ripped in 30. Anyone have good results because I'm not sure I want to "waste" time finishing this. Might go back to Jillian Michaels.

I love 10 poinds my 1st round, but I didn't just do the fix videos. I also did TurboFire (there's some calorie burn!!). How far are you on the program?
  • lynncartertoler
    Options
    I just ordered.... Has anyone had any sucess with the 21 day fix?
    I need encouragement...
  • jtolman619
    jtolman619 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd week of the 21 day fix and have lost just under a pound. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I've still been logging my food on here, and after I entered the calories that I burned from the workouts, I only had a net of like 1000 calories. I thought your net calories were supposed to be at least 1200. I think I might continue the workouts, but eat the way I was before. I lost 20lbs doing that and logging everything here before I had my 2nd baby, so it seems like that works pretty well for me.
  • EvelynsGmom
    Options
    I think anything that will help you figure out portion control is a win win for you - I measure out my food to take to work and little containers would be nice. I see any program that helps you understand what is healthy for you to eat is not really gimmicky - its just putting your brain in gear and giving you knowledge.
  • L1ftheavy
    L1ftheavy Posts: 1
    Options
    I just ordered it yesterday!. Im going on vacation in the first week of August and have recently put back on the 13lbs that I had lost so im hoping this gets my butt in gear to lose again! Im also reading the new rules of lifting for women.. which is telling me to eat way more than what I thought I should to lose weight. I don't know why this is so confusing!!
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I need encouragement...

I was a huge skeptic when it was released but ordered to get to know the nutrition plan and program so I can help my customers who have ordered it and became an instant convert.

My one piece of advice is to not tie yourself to the calorie calculations in the nutrition guide too obsessively. If you've been working out for a while when you do the workouts on the DVD's you're going to burn more calories than a less fit person would doing the modified moves. Give the initial portion calculation a week, and if you feel sluggish or tired go to the back of the book and recalculate using the maintenance calorie formula.

If you're matching Autumn on the workouts you're going to be kicking your own *kitten* pretty hard. I did a workout with her at Summit this weekend as a part of the big end-of the week super workout and between Chalene Johnson, Tony Horton, Joe & Jericho, Autumn and Shaun T, her segment took the most out of me of all of them. Granted, I was not modifying at all and it was 90 degrees in the MGM backlot, but when you outdo Shaun and Tony you've built a serious workout that is not to be trifled with.

That said, I've been using the portion control system for two months now and I'm leaner, stronger and have more energy than I've had in years. If you get the portions right or your level of activity this will radically alter your body composition. The trick is that if you follow the nutrition plan properly your macros are almost perfectly aligned with fat loss and steady muscle growth.

-Tex
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I need encouragement...

I was a huge skeptic when it was released but ordered to get to know the nutrition plan and program so I can help my customers who have ordered it and became an instant convert.

Wait. So you're someone who essentially sells it to your clients...you were a "huge skeptic" but tried it just so you could help your clients...and then found that you absolutely loved it?

Yeah. Didn't see that outcome coming at all.

Seems legit.

:indifferent:
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    But how do you log the containers on your diary?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Weight and fitness problems are not fixed in 21 days. Ever. I do not recommend. You'll find that the "quick fix" mentality tends to disgust and offend people who have worked hard to reach their fitness goals. It can be taken as a thumbed-nose at all the sweat and sacrifices made to get fit. Just so you know.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I didn't get it as a quick fix. I got it as structure. I did really well on Jenny Craig. But it was too expensive and all the soy was bad for my thyroid. When my doctor just suggested I go on Jenny Craig or something like it, I decided on this instead. I knew that at least I could eat real food.
  • cassidylindenbach
    Options
    I was religiously counting and measuring for a while and developed pretty good habits, so have relaxed about it a bit and am keeping the weight relatively stable (with regular exercise, of course) without logging on here in a while.

But I saw the little tubs and thought, sure, I could see how that could make things a bit easier, especially since I always pack lunches to take with me for the day. So I came back on to see what folks have to say about it and hoping to find some specifics. What I don't understand, and hope someone can clarify, is the weight vs volume part of it.

For example, if I fill my nut container with whole almonds, that's going to be the same volume as if I fill it with almond slivers, but obviously I can pack a whole lot more almond slivers in there, making a huge difference in the weight, and thus the calories. I'm not saying I would do this intentionally to try to game the system or anything, it's just that if what I have on hand are almond slivers, that's what I'll put in the cup. Same issue, I imagine, with different proteins that have different densities - I feel like tofu, for example, is less dense than tuna, so the protein cup might have quite a bit of variation. Are there guidelines in the program for how to deal with these differences? I feel like these could add up to substantial variations in any given day...

there are certain foods, such as almonds, olives or hard boiled eggs where it specifies the amount.
    So it says 2 hard boiled eggs is a red portion, 10 medium baby carrots is a green portion, etc. Then it stops you from jamming too many of those certain foods into the container that either wouldn't fit properly, or would allow you to over-fill.
    Most things its just "if it fits in the container its a portion", but some things where measurements are off, the book gives you specific instructions
  • yosassi
    yosassi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants to hear a success story from the program, let me know! Shoot me a message and I am happy to share my experience with the program.
  • alliran1986
    alliran1986 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started the fix and so far have gained 2.5 lbs. It's still early and I'm following the plan, including my exercise. Is this my body adjusting or what? Also, could it be bloat due to menstration since my cycle is due next week (according to my birth control).
  • tiffaniekaye
    Options
    Is anyone still actively doing the 21 day fix? I want more information before jumping in. Thanks
  • OhJen2014
    OhJen2014 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Tiffaniekaye,

This might be a longer answer than you wanted, but I wanted to be thorough.

Today marks the end of the 2nd week (day 14) for me on the 21 Day Fix. I had seen it for a long time. Wondered what it could really do. I worked out for 12 weeks last summer on Brazillian Butt Lift (great program) and finally lost 10 pounds. Still had 25 to go. I stopped working out during the school year ( I am a teacher and made excuses about how I was too busy). I was able to maintain the 10 pounds off till about March. Then in spring the scale slowly creeped back up and I gained back 7 pounds.

One late night I saw the infomercial for 21 Day Fix. I was hesitant about ordering anything that promoted such results in only 21 days. However, I did like that this had a nutrition component in addition to the workout DVDs. I waited, didn't order, made more excuses. Then one day a friend said she was going to order. Asked if I would do it with her. I gave in. I got the Challenge Pack which means it was the DVD and the Shakeology (nutritional shake) which I had not tried in the past.

I created a blog to journal my experience. I wanted a record for myself (and my friend) to see if we had positive results and experiences. I will share it with you if you like...just message me.

My advice is this.

1. TRY IT. There is a 30 day money back guarantee (less shipping). That means you can run a whole cycle and decide yourself.

2. Don't start the next day. It takes some planning. I got it on Thursday and started Monday. I wanted to plan the meals, grocery shop for what I'd need, do some food prep ahead to make it easier. Especially the first week, it's nice to just look in the fridge and have things already ready to go or to use.

3. Look for recipes on the internet. The book that comes with the kit has some recipes, but there are a ton more online. If you do Pinterest or Facebook, you will find a lot. I have some that I did on my blog site as well.

4. If possible, find a friend who will do it too. I am not saying you can't do it alone, but it is nice to have somebody to talk with, encourage you, keep you accountable! I would be happy to do that for you if you like.

So what you really want to know is results, right? Well, my friend started ahead of me, so she is done with her first 21 day cycle. She lost 8.5 pounds, then gained back 3 over 4th of July weekend and a visit to an amusement park. She is starting a second cycle of 21 days beginning tomorrow.

My results are great so far. I have a week to go. I have lost 7 pounds so far. Hopefully a few more will go next week. I do plan to continue the program. I like the portion control and nutrition part. I love the Shakeology. I really didn't expect to, but I do. I will probably work in a few of my other favorite workouts as well. Like I said Brazillian Butt Lift is my favorite. I also want to try the new PiYo.

Like I said, it's totally worth the try. YOU are worth it. Feel free to message me if you want.

Jen
  • pineappledreams32
    pineappledreams32 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    HEY! i am waiting for mine to come in the mail so EXCITED! i can't wait to learn portion control. thats my problem

add me
  • bananafish80
    bananafish80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The only thing about the 21 Day fix and BB in general that I do not like is that it is an OBVIOUS PYRAMID SCHEME. But if you don't get caught up in that, I don't see a problem with it.

For example, my sister is a BB coach now, and she's really into it everything, which is fine, I don't really care-- she's my older sister, so who am I to judge? But I let her know that hey, I am going to buy the program for the exercise and take the nutrition with a grain of salt. I personally haven't started the 21 DF nutrition aspect of the program because I need to go grocery shopping.

I made a comment on one of our accountability group facebook posts, and said that I won't be buying into the Shakeology thing. And she responds with "but it's only $4 per day!".... That's $120 plus shipping though, and I can get the same thing for $10 at any health food store (my brother-in-law is a manager at a GNC store.) -sigh- I didn't respond to that.

But anyway, don't buy into the gimmicks, stick with the exercises, and you will be just fine. I probably will keep doing these exercises along with my cardio. To be honest, I have been eating totally fine since I started to seriously change my lifestyle, and I am perfectly OK with that (other than the sore muscles! Ugh!) I personally like the exercises, hate counting calories, hate weighing myself.

You really, really don't need the 21DF or any other program to lose weight though. It's all about motivation and pushing yourself.
  • bananafish80
    bananafish80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well that's the thing... I don't NEED to count my calories, hence the reason her program is advertised as an easy solution to eating clean without counting calories, using a kitchen scale, or logging your food. That is the reason why most people do not eat clean because it seems like a daunting task that is overwhelming when you have to count calories, weigh your food and keep a food log. I do know that based on the food list and my weight, my caloric intake is 1200-1499. This is temporary while I am trying to lose weight and my caloric intake will go up as soon as I am content with my weight. Then my caloric intake will support a a meal plan that maintains my weight rather then help me lose weight. After I lose the amount of weight that I want to lose, I will continue to eat clean, just with larger portions. Not sure why your questioning me, or what your point is, but if you have one, you should just get straight to it.

I just find it interesting that you would be on a website that is based on the concept of calorie counting but not counting calories. I'm also curious what you plan to do after you reach GW. Still putting food into color-coded containers, but just bigger containers? This seems at least twice as tedious as the relatively simple act of logging food as you eat it and tracking calories.

I'm not saying your way is wrong...I'm just saying I don't understand it (and so I'm asking questions trying to get a better understanding of it).

But to be clear, my opinion right now is that counting calories is far superior to this pretty containers approach.

Settle down, Walt! (Jk.)

I don't think either is superior, just depends on who you are. A lot of people like to count calories, but I cannot for personal reasons. Don't really use my MFP account anymore-- just googled 21 day fix and thought I'd check here.

BUT, as somebody who is doing the 21DF... it REALLY IS gimmicky. Seriously. It's a pyramid scam. (If you look at the handbook there is LITERALLY A PYRAMID describing their BB coach program!) They sell you stuff even in the workouts on "commercial breaks." It's crazy how invested people are getting into the BB program without recognize that they're probably not going to get much out of it other than a discount (although I do know some coaches that are making top $$)

I like the exercises though! will probably go a few rounds with 21DF because of that, I'm not sure about the containers though. Nowadays I just eat whatever is good in a reasonable portion.
  • SA8787
    SA8787 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm doing the 21 day fit. Seriously, the people who complain on here are ridiculous. How are you complaining that you haven't lost weight and it's a gimmick when you admit that you don't exercise and eat a lot of junk food. This is called the 21 day fix because it takes 21 days to establish a new habit (it's a teaching strategy, look it up). The goal is to create consistency, portion control and balance in your diet. The serving sizes you read really don't matter. I've been counting the calories and doing the containers and it is in my calorie range every time. There is no miracle cure, if you want something, you work for it and you get it. Eating this isn't going to make you lose weight, your attitude and commitment will. You are the one filling these and making sure you're eating balanced. You're the one working out or not. The results are a product of your excuses, the less excuses you have the less you'll weigh (if you're trying to lose weight).

Lastly, I've lost over 100lbs using beachbody products and I can honestly say I know why it didn't work for most people who complain. No effort=no results! Message me if you'd like some help and guidance.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I think its somewhat gimicie in that they use that odd container approach. it would be better to get you in the habit of weighting food.

but there is a woman who is basically an aerobic instructor in my office. she's no stranger to exercising or dieting and is always in pretty good shape, she said that she felt it was effective/worth it... as nearly any exercise/diet plan will be if you are consistent, and its a sustainable approach (ie, not drinking juice and only juice)