Here are some of my tips!

Options

Replies

• lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I understand but this was more about achieving healthy weight loss and a lifestyle rather than rapid. For me, my tips worked.
    [/quote]

Thats all that counts. I see nothing wrong with sharing what is working. You never know, it might motivate someone to move towards a healthier lifestyle. I didn't read anything in OPs post that was dangerous, just some tips she wanted to share that work for her. Some people on this site can't wait to respond and debunk other peoples plan or diet.
  • paulaaah
    paulaaah Posts: 60
    Options
    Yeah, the only thing out of that list that I actually use/do is the planning/pre-logging.

I eat 1 big meal, late in the evening, and a few snacks, and almost always eat all of my calories after 3pm. I usually eat an icky processed ice cream sandwich within 15 minutes of going to bed. And I eat all the same foods I ate before... Just less of it. It's equaled 30 pounds gone in a little over 2 months.

OP, I get that this method worked for you... but I would be completely miserable.

I understand you have achieved rapid weight loss with this method, but it is not healthy weight loss which is what I was trying to promote.

How can you tell me it's not healthy? I haven't lost "rapidly" I had a big drop the first week, and about 2 pounds each week following. I eat, I exercise, and I'm feeling pretty great. Are you my doctor? Because she seems pretty happy with what I've been doing and the fact that both my blood sugar and blood pressure have gone down.

Of course it's gone down, any weight loss and especially your incorporation of exercise will do that for you but I'm talking about MAXIMUM OPTIMAL HEALTH.

Okay, I'll go tell my doctor she's wrong then. :)

I... never said she was wrong lol I literally just said of course you're going to see those results. But that doesn't mean you're as healthy as you could be. Organic produce vs ice cream? Yeah I'm pretty sure the former is going to be healthier and your doctor will agree but ok

What if I make my ice cream at home with organic~ ingredients? Am I then achieving optimal health?

You're definitely doing your body a service by using organic or natural ingredients, yes.
  • paulaaah
    Options
    I understand but this was more about achieving healthy weight loss and a lifestyle rather than rapid. For me, my tips worked.

Thats all that counts. I see nothing wrong with sharing what is working. You never know, it might motivate someone to move towards a healthier lifestyle. I didn't read anything in OPs post that was dangerous, just some tips she wanted to share that work for her. Some people on this site can't wait to respond and debunk other peoples plan or diet.
    [/quote]

EXACTLY. You people are attacking me as if any of tips would harm you so chill out. Thank for this by the way.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. These forums are living in ignorance & do not want to learn & will dismiss anything that proves them wrong. I feel so sorry for all of you. I'm done with these pathetic message boards.

Spoken like someone who just lost all the marbles.

0IDPDWp.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    All this talk is exactly why I always fail at Trying to lose weight.....don't eat after 7, carbs, green tea blah blah blah...I am having a hard enough time just logging my allotted calories a day and sticking to it. I just want to do what MFP tells me and lose weight, is it much more complicated than that?? I really want to stick to it this time and lose my weight...

No it's not much more complicated than that.

Which was my point. That someone like you and me who are struggling to do the bare minimum not have to be forced to incorporate a bunch of new tips instead of just focusing on the CI/CO that might just need to be reexamined or further scrutinized if success begins to elude us at some point.

If you're struggling to do the bare minimum then yes, my tips are not for you. But this about trying to achieve good health and see progress. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, I literally was just offering my recommendations....

When you state it like this, it almost seems like your tips are something to "aspire" to and like once I'm no longer struggling I could achieve them. I can achieve them now. I can afford the teas, I have the time to split my meals all day long (in fact I do but for other reasons, not weight loss), I can stop eating at a certain hour as will power has never been a problem for me.

I just choose not to complicate my method further by adding "tips" which have not been proven to offer further benefit.

It is not the "bare minimum" to do CI/CO it is all that's necessary is what I'm trying to convey.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    1. ***WHAT*** you eat (a 200 calorie homemade smoothie with good antioxidant/fiber filled fruits and green veggies is way better than a zero calorie coke zero) and avoid refined, processed, sugar/salty foods. If you want to take it to the next level, avoid the center aisles in the grocery store altogether except for wheat bread, quinoa, organic peanut butter (if you're like me and will love PB till the end of time) and white tuna in water!

2. WHEN you eat (try to avoid eating past 7 PM as food digest slower while you sleep)
    3. HOW OFTEN you eat (5-6 small meals/snacks a day has proven to be more effective than 3 normal meals)
    4. PRE-PLAN your meals. This is an option but has proven to be extremely effective! Fail to prepare, prepare to fail type attitude. Cooking your meals for the next day each night has helped many stay on track and buying a small cooler will insure that you follow your guidelines because now your food is traveling with you :)
    5. GREEN TEA AND GINGER TEA are so extremely beneficial for people trying to lose weight especially around the tummy area! Not a cure or easy way out but green tea provides energy and speeds up metabolism. I buy 5 oz of tea leaves from my local tea store but organic bagged green tea is just as good :) ginger tea is good for after meals because it promotes digestion. Green tea can also be a replacement for people who are trying to not drink coffee as much.

1. False. Look around this site. Plenty of folks have had substantial and amazing success while still eating those nasty, processed foods. I know, that's so cray, right?!
    2. False. Meal timing is totally irrelevant.
    3. False. Frequency of meals has no bearing on weight loss.
    4. That actually makes sense. Nice job with having something helpful there. Too bad it's buried under all of that misinformation.
    5. False. There is no way to spot reduce... either through exercise or choking down green tea. Stop watching Dr. Oz, mmmkay?

1. Yes they have lost weight but this does not mean they are healthy and I'm sure they had to REDUCE the amount of these processed foods SIGNIFICANTLY to achieve this.
    2. It is not irrelevant at all and I am living proof. It is not NECESSARY but helpful.
    3. IVE ALREADY STATED that this has worked for me and might work for others who haven't tried it but are stuck. It is proven that small meals throughout the day is more beneficial to ones metabolism than 3 large meals. It does not make a HUGE difference but it can take someone to that next level.
    5. Green tea helps diffuse bloating around the stomach area. Not kill fat, you're right but reduce bloating and flush out toxins that usually accumulate around that area.

I am a living contradiction to almost all your points.

1. I have excellent blood markers and I eat processed food all the time.
    2. I always eat a snack immediately before bed (around 9pm)
    3. I often skip breakfast and eat at least half of my calories between 7pm and 9pm. The reason they say frequent meals "boosts" metabolism is the thermic effect of food, but that's directly proportionate to the amount eaten (so bigger meals cause bigger boosts and frequent meals cause smaller frequent boosts).
    4. Yes, pre-planning helps.
    5. I don't drink green tea because it's nasty and I have no bloat. Also, the "toxins" that are in the area that cause bloating are actually vital bacteria.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    What is your snack? That's a lot different than a full meal and WHAT the snack is will also make a difference. And like I said from the beginning, I know it's not a cure all miracle drink. But it does up your energy levels, speed up metabolism, and is great for the skin. I'm not exaggerating, these are just facts. I never stated that it would give one insane crazy energy or speed up the metabolism to astronomical levels or clear the skin up to perfection. No. The effects of green tea are mild but they still are there. Plus I drink
    3-4 cups daily so that also makes a big difference and the brand can also make a big difference. My tips are generalized but not false and can be tailored for ones own success. There is no way that a 100 calorie pack of Oreos will be more beneficial to your body than a 200-400 calorie green homemade smoothie (Example: one cup spinach, 1/2 cup kale, one cup almond milk, 1 cup mixed fruit, 1 medium banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds) but that's my go to smoothie, there are tons of smoothie recipes out there.

Would a smoothie be healthier than oreos..YES But would one lose more weight drinking a smoothie with 100 calories as opposed to eating 100 calsories of oreos..NOPE

UM 100 calories vs 100 calories?? That's the same amount and the smoothie will be healthier so YES you would see greater weight loss and health benefits with the smoothie.

No. 100 calories is 100 calories. Calories are simply energy. You gain weight by giving your body more energy than it needs, and you lose weight by giving your body less energy than it uses in a day.

The smoothie may contain more vitamins/minerals or have a more balanced macro breakdown than the oreos, but the amount of energy you get from each is the same. The smoothie is only a better choice is you haven't met specific macro or micro-nutrient needs that the smoothie will help you fill. If you've already met your nutritional requirements for the day and have 100 calories to spare, why not go for the oreos? You don't get extra credit for eating more "healthy stuff" than your body needs or can actually use.

The smoothie will always be the better choice. If you've ever followed a healthy lifestyle vs just trying to lose weight then you would know that you do get "extra credit" if by that you mean more benefits to ones overall appearance and energy by eating organic foods vs processed. The weight loss might not come as fast as going to the 100 calories packs but it will come and your skin, hair, and eyes will thank you. Perhaps i should have made it more clear that I didn't mean rapid weight loss, but healthy weight loss.

I've lost 80 pounds over the course of 19 months. Do you consider that rapid? I aim to eat a balanced diet, which means I pay close attention to my body's micro-nutrient and macro-nutrient needs and eat to meet them. I also leave room in my day for treats, rarely eat a traditional breakfast, and always eat after 7pm. My skin is clear, my nails are strong, and I have perfect vision. I am now a healthy weight and have significantly reduced my body fat percentage. My fitness has greatly improved; I have gained both strength and endurance, and my cardiovascular health and recovery is great. What is unhealthy about my lifestyle?
  • princess71903
    princess71903 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

1. Yes they have lost weight but this does not mean they are healthy and I'm sure they had to REDUCE the amount of these processed foods SIGNIFICANTLY to achieve this.
    2. It is not irrelevant at all and I am living proof. It is not NECESSARY but helpful.
    3. IVE ALREADY STATED that this has worked for me and might work for others who haven't tried it but are stuck. It is proven that small meals throughout the day is more beneficial to ones metabolism than 3 large meals. It does not make a HUGE difference but it can take someone to that next level.
    5. Green tea helps diffuse bloating around the stomach area. Not kill fat, you're right but reduce bloating and flush out toxins that usually accumulate around that area.

Name a toxin, any toxin that the green tea will flush from your system.

I think you may not realize that you're asking an incredibly complicated question that at this very moment is being investigated by some of the best oncology & drug designers in the world.

It's first prudent to ask IF catechins and (polyphenols in general) actually have an effect in humans -- such as boosting immunity. One of the big issues with green tea derived compounds like catechins is that they aren't that bio-available, which basically means they aren't taken into our body well. Catechins could be the be-all end-all cure to cancer, but currently we wouldn't know what to do with it since we don't even fully understand how catechins are synthesized by our body!

As for the "what do they actually do?" question and how that can help relieve our body of toxins, the mechanism of action is unclear and very likely to be hugely complex. The reason for this is that the molecular targets (what catechins bind to to have effect) are very diverse and there are LOTS of them. Most of this stuff has been figured out in test tubes, so often we can't be so sure if it will be the same in humans. Also, since these kinds of compounds do a lot of different things (cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer's, immune system modulation, allergy, etc.) it is likely benefits are not do to any one process or one specific toxin like you are asking.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3763709/

This article touches on what I mean by that. It's about EGCG, a major catechin compound of interest in a lot of biological research. It's kind of technical if you don't have a degree on metabolics/oncology, but the basic topics are approachable at least.

Some of the suggested broad-level mechanisms of action are removing reactive oxygen species (the so called antioxidant effect), hypolipidemic effects (lower blood fat levels), helping to prevent DNA damage, immune cell activation ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23835657) , and altering the level of important proteins known to help in the prevention of cancer.

And then some mechanisms of action can get really specific, like this study ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16889749 ) looking into catechin compound EGCG effects on the release of effector molecules by immune cells (this is just one example of thousands of equally specific mechanisms for different things).

TL;DR - Catechin compounds(a compound found in Green Tea) are reported to do a lot of different things to a lot of targets, but it is unclear if their effects are truly significant for therapy at this point.

So what I'm getting out of this is...you don't know.

Haha...that also seemed to me to be the most long winded way ever of saying "no one knows, probably nothing".

Goodbye Sprycel and hello green tea! I'm cured!:laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you are at a plateau like myself or are just now beginning your journey, here is what I have noticed makes all the difference:

wait, so a 19 year old that is currently in a plateau is giving advice on losing weight (or anything, really)...and people are actually bothering to read enough of it to dispute any of it?

I've lost over 60 lbs with the tips that I posted so that is why I was trying to give advice. Not just because I randomly felt like it. I also don't believe my age is of any importance. And yes, I'm at a plateau, which is why I've also reached out for help.

if your age isn't of any importance what about the quality of your advice? because, while i'm sure it was well meaning, it was terrible. and patently false. well, #4, pre plan your meals is a damn good idea, but the rest of it is completely off the rails, and you altho many people have given you reasons as to why, you don't seem to have the ability to process that information. yet, because perhaps when you're a bit older you'll develop the ability to listen to others, merge the new information with what you already thought you knew, and then toss out the bad info.

example: your 100 cals of X smoothie vs 100 cals of Y processed food somehow changing the quality and manner in which a person loses weight is patently ridiculous
  • paulaaah
    Options
    I am sooo sorry that any of you would be that offended by me trying to post tips that are not harmful at all that could make a difference in someone's health and weight loss goals and then go as far as saying that I was forcing them on anyone when I was just trying to offer TIPS. Seriously, I was just trying to help so I have no idea how it even got to this point.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and see about the sample sizes of said studies and whether those results have been replicated.

>sample sizes
    You need to apologize to all of us for presenting 3 studies that didn't deal with weight loss, only other factors and the fourth that only talked about the effects of satiety and how the timing 'can' affect it. Plus the third one was only an abstract without even a conclusions section.

>Doesn't even understand how lipids work
    >One is an abstract so you automatically dismiss the other three

Holy crap. These forums are living in ignorance & do not want to learn & will dismiss anything that proves them wrong. I feel so sorry for all of you. I'm done with these pathetic message boards.

I'm sorry that I'm unwilling to "learn" from your studies that don't apply (with any great significance) to meal timing and weight loss. I'm sorry that meal timing is a personal preference and the only thing that people need to worry about (without complicating the matter with clinically insignificant points) is the calories in/calories out equation. They should eat a balanced diet for health but calories are king with weight loss. I'm sorry that I don't like it when people try to complicate the issue. It hard enough to lose weight without worrying about mildly increased lipid metabolism in high carbohydrate diets or any other insignificant weight loss trick.

Oh wait, I'm not sorry.

Good luck with your weight loss.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm done with these pathetic message boards.

This will be the second topic tonight that you have said that in (the other in which you defend a 900 kcal diet while exercising and running), still waiting with baited breath for you to follow through with it.
  • paulaaah
    Options
    If you are at a plateau like myself or are just now beginning your journey, here is what I have noticed makes all the difference:

wait, so a 19 year old that is currently in a plateau is giving advice on losing weight (or anything, really)...and people are actually bothering to read enough of it to dispute any of it?

I've lost over 60 lbs with the tips that I posted so that is why I was trying to give advice. Not just because I randomly felt like it. I also don't believe my age is of any importance. And yes, I'm at a plateau, which is why I've also reached out for help.

if your age isn't of any importance what about the quality of your advice? because, while i'm sure it was well meaning, it was terrible. and patently false. well, #4, pre plan your meals is a damn good idea, but the rest of it is completely off the rails, and you altho many people have given you reasons as to why, you don't seem to have the ability to process that information. yet, because perhaps when you're a bit older you'll develop the ability to listen to others, merge the new information with what you already thought you knew, and then toss out the bad info.

example: your 100 cals of X smoothie vs 100 cals of Y processed food somehow changing the quality and manner in which a person loses weight is patently ridiculous

I believe only one person has given me one reason as to why I'm "wrong" (a website link) but most have just offered their own personal experiences which is also where I based most of my tips on. TIPS. Not die hard facts, JUST. TIPS.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I am sooo sorry that any of you would be that offended by me trying to post tips that are not harmful at all that could make a difference in someone's health and weight loss goals and then go as far as saying that I was forcing them on anyone when I was just trying to offer TIPS. Seriously, I was just trying to help so I have no idea how it even got to this point.

I think it started when you said that our metabolism stops when we sleep. Not being snarky or rude. That's where people put their foot down and had to let you know that there were issues with your claims. The meal timing thing has been discussed many many many times over and there is science supporting all sides, so the best course of action is to eat whenever works for you.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    What is your snack? That's a lot different than a full meal and WHAT the snack is will also make a difference. And like I said from the beginning, I know it's not a cure all miracle drink. But it does up your energy levels, speed up metabolism, and is great for the skin. I'm not exaggerating, these are just facts. I never stated that it would give one insane crazy energy or speed up the metabolism to astronomical levels or clear the skin up to perfection. No. The effects of green tea are mild but they still are there. Plus I drink
    3-4 cups daily so that also makes a big difference and the brand can also make a big difference. My tips are generalized but not false and can be tailored for ones own success. There is no way that a 100 calorie pack of Oreos will be more beneficial to your body than a 200-400 calorie green homemade smoothie (Example: one cup spinach, 1/2 cup kale, one cup almond milk, 1 cup mixed fruit, 1 medium banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds) but that's my go to smoothie, there are tons of smoothie recipes out there.

Would a smoothie be healthier than oreos..YES But would one lose more weight drinking a smoothie with 100 calories as opposed to eating 100 calsories of oreos..NOPE

UM 100 calories vs 100 calories?? That's the same amount and the smoothie will be healthier so YES you would see greater weight loss and health benefits with the smoothie.

I think that you don't understand that just because something is healthy doesn't mean you will lose weight from it. Fact: You will lose more weight by eating 1200 calories of Cheetos in a day, and nothing else, than eating 1500 calories of balanced meals. You will not, however, be healthier. Weight loss is only dependant on your calorie deficit. Your health however, does require more than just whatever number of calories that are going to give you your desired goal.
  • brower47
    Options

Name a toxin, any toxin that the green tea will flush from your system.

I think you may not realize that you're asking an incredibly complicated question that at this very moment is being investigated by some of the best oncology & drug designers in the world.

It's first prudent to ask IF catechins and (polyphenols in general) actually have an effect in humans -- such as boosting immunity. One of the big issues with green tea derived compounds like catechins is that they aren't that bio-available, which basically means they aren't taken into our body well. Catechins could be the be-all end-all cure to cancer, but currently we wouldn't know what to do with it since we don't even fully understand how catechins are synthesized by our body!

As for the "what do they actually do?" question and how that can help relieve our body of toxins, the mechanism of action is unclear and very likely to be hugely complex. The reason for this is that the molecular targets (what catechins bind to to have effect) are very diverse and there are LOTS of them. Most of this stuff has been figured out in test tubes, so often we can't be so sure if it will be the same in humans. Also, since these kinds of compounds do a lot of different things (cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer's, immune system modulation, allergy, etc.) it is likely benefits are not do to any one process or one specific toxin like you are asking.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3763709/

This article touches on what I mean by that. It's about EGCG, a major catechin compound of interest in a lot of biological research. It's kind of technical if you don't have a degree on metabolics/oncology, but the basic topics are approachable at least.

Some of the suggested broad-level mechanisms of action are removing reactive oxygen species (the so called antioxidant effect), hypolipidemic effects (lower blood fat levels), helping to prevent DNA damage, immune cell activation ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23835657) , and altering the level of important proteins known to help in the prevention of cancer.

And then some mechanisms of action can get really specific, like this study ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16889749 ) looking into catechin compound EGCG effects on the release of effector molecules by immune cells (this is just one example of thousands of equally specific mechanisms for different things).

TL;DR - Catechin compounds(a compound found in Green Tea) are reported to do a lot of different things to a lot of targets, but it is unclear if their effects are truly significant for therapy at this point.

So what I'm getting out of this is...you don't know.

That's exactly how I read it too. I even read a few pages of the article she posted. It was a lot of 'maybe this' and 'maybe that' but nothing definitive.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I believe only one person has given me one reason as to why I'm "wrong" (a website link) but most have just offered their own personal experiences which is also where I based most of my tips on. TIPS. Not die hard facts, JUST. TIPS.

many a painful and unfortunate experience has come from offering someone just the tip
  • brower47
    Options

many a painful and unfortunate experience has come from offering someone just the tip

If it's painful, you're doing it wrong.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    OP, I understand that you posted this with the best of intentions. There's an old engineering maxim called KISS (keep it simple stupid). Making the process more complex and adding more steps is usually unnecessary and rarely improves the final product. It does however make the product more liable to break down.

It's human nature to imagine things that seem hard must require complex methods for dealing with them, but the truth is KISS is best for weight loss. Complex plans make the process seem cooler, but rarely do they actually add value.

We encounter all sorts of new "tips" on here all the time. What many of the regular posters object to are not your intentions, but the fact that your tips may cause another individual to over complicate their weight loss plan and increase the likelihood of a future breakdown.
This discussion has been closed.