Tattoos -- Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I got two (phoenix on my shoulder and my cats paw prints on my ankle)

the prints is a work in progress, every fur baby/human baby i have in my life I will add (kinda like a family tree)

planning tat #3 which will be on my arm to represent my transformation from blah to Spartan (not sure on what yet)
  • focused8152
    Options
    Me I will never have one due to health reasons I don't feel comfortable getting one.
    Yes, I believe tats are beautiful no matter what they are cause they are individual to the person that has them. My husband has 4 and plans on getting plenty more. He has one with all four of our kids names and 2 of the kids are his step kids which means a lot to me. Plus he has his wedding band tat on!!! with my initials! But to each their own. Tats are art and I love art.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Mmm delicious.
  • dnaphillips
    Options
    I have no problem with tattoos... but a lot of us here are trying to change our body shape.... doesn't that really jack up 'the look'?
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes!!
  • xJSMommy11
    xJSMommy11 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have 5 tattoos.. but they're large, and at 23 years old, I made sure I got them in places that I am able to hide for work. My mother is covered with sleeves and her legs... and I cant tell you how many times we are judged by them. Even though they are beautiful pieces of art, with flowers, and animals... still we've heard "you'd be so much prettier without the tattoos". We get ours done by Juli Moon, who is a very dear friend, and anyone who has seen her work, knows how amazing it is. Still, even with the beauty and quality.. judgement is still passed, which is ridiculous.
  • MissesBee
    MissesBee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have 8 & am planning on more. I love a guy with tattoos too! x
  • xJSMommy11
    xJSMommy11 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have no problem with tattoos... but a lot of us here are trying to change our body shape.... doesn't that really jack up 'the look'?

If the quality of the ink, the placement, and the elasticity of your skin are really good... then no, it doesnt really effect them.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options

If the quality of the ink, the placement, and the elasticity of your skin are really good... then no, it doesnt really effect them.

Yea, like I just got a giant whale tattooed on my my stomach, and now it just looks like a little fish. Forward thinking!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Absolutely a Ney here. People are free to add graffiti or art to their bodies if that is important to them. I wish they would think about any possible negatives before they start. I am an employer and any visible tattoos mean that you probably are not going to get hired. I have never heard an employer say "I hired the applicant because of the cool tattoos" but I have heard one say the opposite.

I have sleeves. I have an office job making extremely good money. People ask me about my tattoos at work all the time. I've had meetings stop when people want to know the stories behind them.

Tattoos aren't this big taboo like they used to be, sucks that you can't see that though. Congrats on being disciminatory.

I am very conservative in the way I approach things. I spend alot of time and money to present an image to the public. A part of that image is how employees groom themselves. Aside from tattoos, I wouldn't think well of someone who couldn't shave in the morning, bath of get a haircut. Not saying that they are not capable of doing the work. You are right that in many environments Tattoos are not a problem but when selling to the general public I want to limit as many possible negatives as I can. Not trying to get into a nasty exchange with anyone but the OP ask my thought on Tats. I gave my honest answer. I think a reasonable person could admit that even though they see or have no problem with Tattoos is is possible that in the workplace some people "may" not see it the same. I just wanted to suggest thinking about the type and location before you get it would be wise. It is also possible that the individual who wears the Tattoo could change their viewpoint later in life too.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Absolutely a Ney here. People are free to add graffiti or art to their bodies if that is important to them. I wish they would think about any possible negatives before they start. I am an employer and any visible tattoos mean that you probably are not going to get hired. I have never heard an employer say "I hired the applicant because of the cool tattoos" but I have heard one say the opposite.

I have sleeves. I have an office job making extremely good money. People ask me about my tattoos at work all the time. I've had meetings stop when people want to know the stories behind them.

Tattoos aren't this big taboo like they used to be, sucks that you can't see that though. Congrats on being disciminatory.

I am very conservative in the way I approach things. I spend alot of time and money to present an image to the public. A part of that image is how employees groom themselves. Aside from tattoos, I wouldn't think well of someone who couldn't shave in the morning, bath of get a haircut. Not saying that they are not capable of doing the work. You are right that in many environments Tattoos are not a problem but when selling to the general public I want to limit as many possible negatives as I can. Not trying to get into a nasty exchange with anyone but the OP ask my thought on Tats. I gave my honest answer. I think a reasonable person could admit that even though they see or have no problem with Tattoos is is possible that in the workplace some people "may" not see it the same. I just wanted to suggest thinking about the type and location before you get it would be wise. It is also possible that the individual who wears the Tattoo could change their viewpoint later in life too.

But see, if less people thought like you, then they would be totally acceptable. So start thinking progressively, and something abnormal won't seem abnormal anymore.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options

so what would your opinion be of someone with a full sleeve that wears a suit to work be?
  • jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Oh hell ya!!!!!! :drinker:
  • laynerich15
    Options
    Seeing peoples reaction's and attitude change depending on if I am in business attire or causal clothes is amusing.

Part of the fun of being me.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options

so what would your opinion be of someone with a full sleeve that wears a suit to work be?

Out of sight, out of mind.

My husband used to work in construction and always had a harder time getting work in the summer when he wore short sleeved shirts and his tattoos were visible.
  • laynerich15
    Options

My husband used to work in construction and always had a harder time getting work in the summer when he wore short sleeved shirts and his tattoos were visible.

and that is the decision you make when you decided to get visible tattoos. I am more than happy to wear a suit in 40deg weather to be able to have the job I do.

but when tattooed people complain that they have to cover up that is annoying
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options

and that is the decision you make when you decided to get visible tattoos. I am more than happy to wear a suit in 40deg weather to be able to have the job I do.

He's more than glad to cover up when it's appropriate, but I don't think a suit would really be an option when running a backhoe outside in 90 degree weather. When I say he was in construction I don't mean sitting in an office or going out carrying a laptop and making bids. I mean he was actually out running a crew, digging trenches and coming home covered in red dirt from head to toe.
  • laynerich15
    Options

He's more than glad to cover up when it's appropriate, but I don't think a suit would really be an option when running a backhoe outside in 90 degree weather. When I say he was in construction I don't mean sitting in an office or going out carrying a laptop and making bids. I mean he was actually out running a crew, digging trenches and coming home covered in red dirt from head to toe.

sorry that was more about me.

as for finding a new job with tattoos, I would say just cover them for the first meeting, if people get to know you with the stigma attached to tattoos they tend to not care down the track.

oh mine was in Celsius, I guess it is a choice you make when you get them
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I came into this world inked in a way...I have a small birthmark. I have always considered having it incorporated into a tattoo.

Anyone have suggestions on what ink I should get?
  • laynerich15
    Options
    I came into this world inked in a way...I have a small birthmark. I have always considered having it incorporated into a tattoo.

Anyone have suggestions on what ink I should get?

It is a personal choice. what I may be into you may think is stupid.

My advise on what not to get, face, hands or tramp stamps should be last of the list.

Would also suggest to think of something fun. remember you have to look at it every day. so at a bare minim it should make you smile