How can someone get to 538lbs?

Options

Replies

• gwenlindsay
    gwenlindsay Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You are amazing.thank you for sharing. Close your eyes as all your MFP give you a million of hugs.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    OP, Thanks so much for your candor. Self-examination is hard enough when you plan on keeping it to yourself, but to share it with the Internet without pulling any punches....that takes some stones. I hit 408 because I ate whatever I wanted because I didn't care whether I lived or died, or about much of anything else. It took me a long while, and the love of a good woman to find value in both myself, and in my life. You're farther along than I am, but it's super encouraging to see someone that much further along the road I've been on, and am still traveling. You seem a good man, and I appreciate your sharing!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    OP, Thanks so much for your candor. Self-examination is hard enough when you plan on keeping it to yourself, but to share it with the Internet without pulling any punches....that takes some stones. I hit 408 because I ate whatever I wanted because I didn't care whether I lived or died, or about much of anything else. It took me a long while, and the love of a good woman to find value in both myself, and in my life. You're farther along than I am, but it's super encouraging to see someone that much further along the road I've been on, and am still traveling. You seem a good man, and I appreciate your sharing!

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    A few people have asked to see some images of my loss so far so here it is, the girl in the picture is my new niece Ella. She is much bigger now.

haDGzNR.jpg
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. You are a good writer, and you made me cry. I sometimes feel like I wasted my 20s, too, not just because of weight but because of all the emotional turmoil. I actually don't think that is all that uncommon--I just figure some of us take a little longer to get our *kitten* together. :flowerforyou:

I am so sorry for the loss of your niece. I hope you can find peace with it. Great job on the weight loss and good luck on your journey.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    A few people have asked to see some images of my loss so far so here it is, the girl in the picture is my new niece Ella. She is much bigger now.

haDGzNR.jpg
    Beautiful little girl and your personal angel. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for showing us your friend.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

haDGzNR.jpg

You kind of look like an entirely different person!

You should be so proud of your achievements.
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wow....what an amazing post and story! Congrats on starting this journey and good luck to you on the rest! Don't feel like you have wasted your life! We all have regrets but did not waste our time. We just spent it living a different way! :flowerforyou:
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    You are amazing and inspiring and strong! I'm so sorry about your niece, but I think she would be very happy to see how you've become. :heart: You are still pretty young too! I'm 43 and can honestly tell you it only gets better and you have so much to look forward to! :flowerforyou:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story OP! Three years ago, I tipped the scales at my ultimate highest weight of 428lbs on a 5'1.5" frame. Every move I made was painful, I suffered from extreme edema of the lower extremities which caused my feet to swell so tightly each step I took felt as if the skin were ripping and my lower back hurt so much that just moving from my couch to my bathroom was excruciating. I was miserable and ashamed and I didn't leave the house for over a year because as you know people could be incredibly cruel..especially when it comes to something they don't understand. I wished for death every single day..it really was no kind of life. Like you, I felt the challenges I faced ahead were incredibly daunting and maybe even impossible. How could I possibly lose weight if I could barely move?

Luckily, with the encouragement of my late grandmother I managed to find some spark of hope within myself and I slowly started to make an attempt to change my life around. Prior to MFP I lost 51 lbs following a low carb diet and herbal life (do not recommend), but it quickly grew old (and expensive) and just when I was ready to give up a friend introduced me to this site. I've since managed to lose 169 lbs with MFP for a total combined weight loss to date of 220 lbs. It hasn't been easy, the struggle is mental just as much as it is physical but it's not impossible.

Last Summer I went to Puerto Rico and sat in an airplane seat without the need for an extension or an extra seat. It was surreal and despite the sad events that led me to Puerto Rico (my grandmother's death) I think I smiled that entire flight. Little things like fitting into restaurant booths, or rides at the amusement parks thrill me to the point of tears. I've recently started jogging. JOGGING. I never thought I'd see the day. I was a prisoner in my own body for so long, and now my only regret is that I didn't start sooner.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your niece, but I commend you for finding the strength to move forward. I think you are incredibly brave, and you've come so far already I have no doubt you will achieve all you want and more.

I wish you the very best of luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Princess71117
    Princess71117 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That is an awe-inspiring story, and it must have taken a lot of courage to share it. Thank you for being so brave. :)
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    OP - You have made an amazing transformation. I read your story with tears in my eyes. Your pain and journey are so evident. You should be very, very proud of how far you've come. The picture of you and your younger niece and you after losing 150 pounds are both beautiful for very different reasons. I wish you the best of luck on your journey. And I know there's a guardian angel up there cheering you on. Be so proud of all your accomplishments. Losing weight is just one of them. Seeing why and how you got there and having the drive to fix it is even bigger in my humble opinion.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely amazing!
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Wow...
    This is truly inspiring to read! Thank you for opening up and sharing your story with us!

As many others have said; I'm so sorry about our niece! The loss of a child (whether your own or not) is devastating! I lost both of my daughters in 2009 and that is when I started packing on the pounds. It's how I dealt with my anger, sadness, confusion of it all...I sympathize with you on some level and I'm inspired to see your changes and dedication and to see how strong you are to have gone forward to get healthy!

You're doing an amazing job! I wish you the very best!!
  • mncodergal
    mncodergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What an incredible story. I am so sorry about your niece...
    But so happy you are getting things together. Congrats on your huge weight loss. We all can probably say.. shoulda..coulda..woulda.. at some point in our lives.. maybe more than once.. but we all should pick up and get on like you did.
    Congrats again.. and **hugs** to you!!
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. You have left me speechless and teary eyed. Congratulations on your loss. (((((( hugs )))) :heart:
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I really admire your courage and honesty. Congratulations on all of your work and results!

Every experience has made you who you are, do not regret your 20s and 30s. In fact, I have a trusted friend who tells me that her 40s have by far been her best decade!
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wow...
    This is truly inspiring to read! Thank you for opening up and sharing your story with us!

As many others have said; I'm so sorry about our niece! The loss of a child (whether your own or not) is devastating! I lost both of my daughters in 2009 and that is when I started packing on the pounds. It's how I dealt with my anger, sadness, confusion of it all...I sympathize with you on some level and I'm inspired to see your changes and dedication and to see how strong you are to have gone forward to get healthy!

You're doing an amazing job! I wish you the very best!!

I am so sorry to hear about your daughters. Even though I had a great loss I can't imagine losing two daughters. Just being able to keep on going is testament to how strong you must be, and I know how hard that can be on a mother. I saw my sister suffer so much after my niece died. She had a strong group of friends around her and she has been able to carry on better then I ever thought she would. She still has a good cry now and then because you can never ever really be over it, but time does make things bearable.

Thanks so much for the kind words and I hope you meet your goals.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story so candidly, you should be so proud of all you have overcome. I agree with others that many of us have "wasted" part of earlier years, but still there is today and all those tomorrows, and those tomorrows look pretty darn fantastic! Sending you hugs from California!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    live it up my friend! its never too late. (although i too suffer from regrets regarding my weight.)