Veganism

Options

Replies

• fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just a simple question from someone who is still in the learning process. I eat cottage cheese, eggs, butter, fish etc but for the life of me I just don't like the TASTE of animal flesh or shell fish. I simply can't eat flesh, I gag when confronted with all the steaks laid out at the butchers, all the chickens looking like infants. It's nothing to do with how I was brought up, my entire family ate meat and my children and grandchildren eat meat too. I prepare meat at family gatherings, but don't like to. Am I a throwback? Is it possible that a few of us are actually predisposed that way. Just a question for some of you much more learned ones.

Obviously you can eat animal flesh, since you eat fish.
  • Seevan07
    Seevan07 Posts: 23
    Options
    Well, people believe that doing something - abstaining as far as they can - is better than doing nothing...People do the best they can because they believe it's better than doing nothing.

This is pretty much how I feel (though I'm only a vegetarian, but I aim to be cruelty-free).
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    going vegan was the single greatest decision I have ever made
  • Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just a simple question from someone who is still in the learning process. I eat cottage cheese, eggs, butter, fish etc but for the life of me I just don't like the TASTE of animal flesh or shell fish. I simply can't eat flesh, I gag when confronted with all the steaks laid out at the butchers, all the chickens looking like infants. It's nothing to do with how I was brought up, my entire family ate meat and my children and grandchildren eat meat too. I prepare meat at family gatherings, but don't like to. Am I a throwback? Is it possible that a few of us are actually predisposed that way. Just a question for some of you much more learned ones.

Change that to red meat, and I can't eat the fish if it's still in a tank, it has to be prepared
  • SushiKite
    SushiKite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It can be confusing if you re considering a vegan lifestyle. One thing is everything dies. Even humans. Everyone on the planet is doing their own thing, what they think is best for them at the time. If you want to feel better and do your little part to leave the planet better for the next generation then go for vegan. So you have to take a little vitamin now and then. Its better than the other choices in the long run.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm pleasantly surprised.

When I dared open this thread, I thought it was going to be nothing but back-and-forth ridiculousness.

While there has been a little of that, the thread has actually morphed into a good, healthy, rational dialogue for the most part.

:drinker: <<< Vegan drinks for some...

:drinker: <<< Non-vegan for others!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    :drinker: <<< Vegan drinks for some...

:drinker: <<< Non-vegan for others!

Coffee or tea all around! I think we all (or almost all) will agree that coffee or tea is delicious. And, it's acceptable for any diet.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    If you've not done it, your missing out!
    It's the most delicious food you've EVER eaten!
    Having said that, I lean toward vegetarianism, but have done raw vegan before...the best food ever ever ever.
    BUT I really don't think it's a good idea to go long term. Eat some meat and raw dairy!

How is vegan food something that is unattainable for non-vegans?

Can one eat this delicious food only if vegan? Does vegan amplify the flavoring? If I were to make said delicious food, would it be less delicious?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Change that to red meat, and I can't eat the fish if it's still in a tank, it has to be prepared

I'm not sure what you mean here. You can't eat red meat that way either, it has to be prepared.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Having said that, I lean toward vegetarianism, but have done raw vegan before...the best food ever ever ever.
    BUT I really don't think it's a good idea to go long term. Eat some meat and raw dairy!

Can one eat this delicious food only if vegan? Does vegan amplify the flavoring? If I were to make said delicious food, would it be less delicious?

Not to mention, I would venture to guess that any meal that a vegan can prepare....and I do mean ANY meal.... would still be better with a ribeye laid on top :)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Ok folks stop the "Google So & So" train right here.

If you want to provide evidence, provide a link pertinent to your argument.

No one is going to go research your argument that is backed up with no evidence at all besides "Google this."
  • Gawanne
    Options

• rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Let's not forget the con of being a vegan is that you're going to get alot of dirty looks and people avoiding you. People think vegan and then think PETA and obnoxious people trying to control our food.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    All credibility is shot out the window when Lustig is brought up.
    Say his name 3 times and derp appears.

I lold hard
  • Gawanne
    Options

Don't eat red meat at all, will eat fish if it's been cooked for me, say in batter, in answer to your question dbata
  • dbmata
    Options

Not to mention, I would venture to guess that any meal that a vegan can prepare....and I do mean ANY meal.... would still be better with a ribeye laid on top :)

I'd just like to know how I, an ex-professional cook am not able to obtain the sheer deliciosity of vegan food, considering I make a pretty damn fine raw "vegan" coconut cream pie. (Not actually vegan since I utilizing animal based products in my kitchen, even though there are none in this recipe.)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Let's not forget the con of being a vegan is that you're going to get alot of dirty looks and people avoiding you. People think vegan and then think PETA and obnoxious people trying to control our food.

I don't think that's fair. PETA is far and away something else. In my personal experience, they're a domestic terror group.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It can be confusing if you re considering a vegan lifestyle. One thing is everything dies. Even humans. Everyone on the planet is doing their own thing, what they think is best for them at the time. If you want to feel better and do your little part to leave the planet better for the next generation then go for vegan. So you have to take a little vitamin now and then. Its better than the other choices in the long run.

Wow. Way to insinuate that anyone not vegan is somehow a bad person who won't be able to make any sort of contribution to the betterment of mankind. And this^ is partly why people have bad opinions of vegans.

I've tried it and I don't feel that not being vegan is missing out. Nor do I think it's in any way accurate to say that vegan food is the most delicious food ever.
  • TraePalmer
    TraePalmer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Coffee or tea all around! I think we all (or almost all) will agree that coffee or tea is delicious. And, it's acceptable for any diet.
    Indeed. I'm currently having a nice shot of afternoon espresso <3

I've read that Dr Esselstyn no longer allows caffienated coffee on his diet, so that version of the vegan diet tut tuts it. I also intend to have some vegan chili later atop which I will be placing several yummy avocado slices, which some of the very-low-fat versions (Esselstyn, Ornish, McDougall, Barnard, etc) of the vegan diet that make health claims don't allow.

...and this is why I just eat a conventional vegan diet :-/
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

LOL!!!
    I can see that you need some examples.
    I don't know if I feel like posting a bunch of recipes. It's not like you make a non-vegan meal, then just leave out the meat/dairy from that meal. No. It's that you take foods (veggies, nuts, grains, seeds, fruits) and prepare them in ways that you probably had not thought or tasted before. It's really impressive cuisine! I've been posting a few vegan recipes on my wall lately, because I have a favorite raw vegan recipe book out lately.
    Eating this way will really expand your menu choices.