Freelee the Banana Girl

Options
1234568»

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Not everyone in the public health field agrees with you, but I appreciate you are basing your point of view on that study.
    Take a look at this guy: http://youtu.be/FX58PyQwrcI?t=6m1s
    Another bro scientist I suppose.

Exhibit A: a research based article in a peer-reviewed journal.

Exhibit B: A you-tube video.

Tell me which is more likely to be legitimate information and which is probably bro-science ...

Le sigh. A bit more education needed for some people...
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Not everyone in the public health field agrees with you, but I appreciate you are basing your point of view on that study.

Tell me which is more likely to be legitimate information and which is probably bro-science ...

This 98 year old retired physician cites the Adventist studies as proof that the vegan lifestyle is healthier?

There are a couple issues with that. Adventists are also encouraged to abstain from tobacco and alcohol... big confounders. But not only that ...

... the BIG issue is there have been studies done on Mormons as well - who have a very similar lifestyle - EXCEPT they also eat meat. And guess what? The Mormon studies, when compared to the Adventist studies, show the Mormons suffer from statistically significantly less colo-rectal cancer.

But the vegans don't acknowledge or cite those studies, as they very quickly disprove that meat in our diets is damaging to health.

Also of note, none of the physicians you've referenced are IN the public health field. They're in the vegan propaganda field. There is a distinct difference.

I'm not disputing a vegan lifestyle can be healthy - with proper nutrition and supplementation (yes, a vegan diet absolutely requires supplementation) it can be. I'm disputing - and the science supports this - the notion it's healthier than a diet that includes meat, because it's NOT.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

if you want any credibility, I'd suggest changing your display picture.

creating a new identity just to insult someone who you don't agree with in a thread.... :noway:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Strong avi
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

brb rolling an alt account to talk mess.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

I challenge you to post one piece of research indicating that fat makes you fat independent of state of energy balance.

I never made that assertion as you've qualified it.

But look up "Meat consumption and prospective weight change in participants of the EPIC-PANACEA study".

Results: Total meat consumption was positively associated with weight gain in men and women, in normal-weight and overweight subjects, and in smokers and nonsmokers.

"We adjusted for initial BMI, physical activity, educational level, smoking status, total energy intake, and plausible misreporting."

Did you get that? Weight gain associated with meat consumption was determined by the study EVEN AFTER CONTROLLING FOR CALORIES. That's what "total energy intake" means.

What is in meat? Protein and fat. No carbs.

I used all caps not to yell, but I don't want to take the time to mess around with bold and italics because different systems have different html code. Waste of time for me.
    I looked up the study and read it in its entirety.

Weight was self-reported. Meat consumption was based on a 24 hour dietary recall, a tool which lacks sensitivity and reliability unless standardised between interviewers. In a multinational study such as this, it would be unlikely. Weight at follow up was also self reported. There was no follow up dietary information and conclusions were based on the Initial dietary information. The researchers used a regression model that adjusted for some potential confounders, but there would likely be many more that were not included in the study.

Look up hierarchy of evidence for making nutrition recommendation based on epidemiological data (and this is questionable data). This study is not convincing.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    The best thing about this thread is the pics...

And, by the way... Deadmau5, huh? Kung_fu_*****, is that you?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

What?
    I just found it amusing how she acts all holier than thou when she looks like that.

Looks like what?

Headless? The photo isn't headless, MFP cropped it that way. You can see the full thing in my profile, which is quite open.

Chubby tummy? HA. That was a) my "before lifting photo" b) "average" body fat of ~27%. I'm real. I'm not photoshopped or fake. When that picture was taken, I'd carried and given birth to 4 children. No, I'm not going to look like a supermodel. Live with it.
    FWIW, I had my labs done recently. Lipid profiles are golden.Sugar profiles and A1C are perfect. Liver and kidney functions are right where they should be. From eating meat. From eating animal-based fats. And from eating fruits and veggies and grains and a whole lot of other stuff (the "whole lot" is why I was trying to lower bf a bit ... which I did over the following 6 months).

In addition, how on earth does physical appearance have ANYTHING to do with understanding of the most basic principles of research methods? Do you want my qualifications there? I only have a couple of bachelor's degrees, so it's probably not too impressive. But at least I know the difference between a valid research article and an opinion piece, and which one is more likely to give reliable information. If being slightly educated and a bit annoyed at people's repeated refusal to understand analysis of "articles" is holier than thou, oh well.

Maybe I'd be more "believable" if my avatar was a picture of my stuffed bear. Or maybe my latest ultrasound picture?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

What?
    I just found it amusing how she acts all holier than thou when she looks like that.

when she looks like a fit healthy human....? you find it amusing that a fit, healthy human disagreed with you about a health issue?

it's rather hypocritical that you'd throw around insults based on other people's appearance when you don't have pictures of yourself up, and you're hiding behind an anonymous profile you seem to have created for the sole purpose of insulting someone.
  • xteenastyle
    xteenastyle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys but I love fruit and vegetables, not to mention carbs. I could eat rice every single day, I love it. Especially sticky rice.
    Anyway – I started eating this way because I thought the idea of being able to eat as much sweet, juicy fruit as I wanted without needing to restrict and count calories as obsessively would be amazing.
    I've had a short eating disorder a year ago and Freelee's videos helped me recover quickly – I wanted to heal my body asap so that I could eat this way. I recovered and gained all the weight needed in 1 month, instead of their "recommended" 2 months.
    All my pimples disappeared, my skin is much clearer, and even though I haven't lost any weight (think I've gained some fat actually) then I feel much more confident and I love myself. I think that's what matters most – eat whatever you want. And I choose to eat fruits, veggies and carbs :) There's enough protein in fruits and vegetables as long as you get enough calories. I'm just reallllly lazy so I need to start working out a bit with this energy I have.