Does anyone else dislike exercise?

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I would just like to take this moment to point out that you have to be chemically induced to enjoy sex and want to reproduce in what is actually a very similar process to the chemical signals received from exercise, or eating chocolate. So your body forces you in to a chemically induced delusional state to make you do what you should be doing biologically anyways.

Without outside impetus, the most "natural" state for most animals is probably the lying on a chaise lounge eating bonbons scenario mentioned earlier. But since I'm fairly certain most would not argue that you don't "really like sex" you just make yourself do it because of a chemical impetus to reproduce, I think it's fair to just take people's word for it when they say they like exercise.....
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no desire to reproduce.

Does that make my life pointless :huh:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Biologically, yes, but then again mine is too. :wink:
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've never really thought about it before, but when it comes down to it, I'm indifferent about working out in and of itself. I don't love it or hate it. I like the endorphin rush I get after the cooldown, how much I feel better physically (I feel sick and have no energy if I go for more than a week without working out), and because I'm a problem sleeper and I sleep much better when I workout regularly.

Honestly, when I get home from work, I would much rather lay in bed and watch On Demand TV or take a nap until it's time to cook dinner and I enjoy the heck out of my rest days, but I get up and do my workout because it benefits me. Still, I don't see it as onerous or a chore. I'll pick working out over, say, loading the dishwasher or vacuuming any day.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Fair enough - we'll go sit in the corner and be pointless together :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Nobody loves exercise. We do it for the benefits. It's part of being an adult, doing things we'd rather not.

That said, I am never sorry after a work out. But I am almost never pumped to go beforehand. It's always the reward afterward that makes me glad I did it.
    Huh? I love a lot of forms of exercise, including biking, swimming, diving, kayaking, climbing on stuff, lifting barbells, and probably a bunch of other things I didn't think of off the top of my head.

I don't know why someone would think that jumping up and down in front of a DVD over and over, or using a treadmill, would at some point become fun.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Fair enough - we'll go sit in the corner and be pointless together :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is why I love teaching biology to 9th graders, I get to have conversations about why, from a biological standpoint, their only goal is to produce as many babies as possible, and how cheating is a highly effective biological adaptation (if you don't get caught). :laugh: Corrupting youth is so much fun. :devil:

*CYA statement: while I *do* have those conversations with my students it's as part of a larger conversation about biological drives vs. cultural expectations and immediate vs. long term reward. I'm trying to get them to use logic, something most 9th graders need as much practice with as they can get. *
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    If people can cultivate a taste for bourbon, they can darn well cultivate a taste for exercise.

I feel good after exercise, like the feeling I have after sex. The next day the sore muscles feel luxurious somehow.

When I'm in the swing on running it's meditative. When I'm in the swing on weight lifting, it engenders powerful feelings. When I'm swimming I feel weightless.

All of those things can be pleasurable. If I push to hard or make it unpleasant by being careless or injuring myself, it's not so great.

Cultivate a taste for these behaviors; learn how to do these things in a way that positively reinforces them.
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I enjoy is dancing. I used to be in a cheerleader squad and I enjoyed that too. However I generally hate working out mostly because I hate getting sweaty and feeling gross (paranoid that my hair will get lank and my skin will break out...because that's what happens when I sweat too much during exercise, eughhh its just disgusting :noway: :sad:)
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    no. skateboarding is the most fun I can have, and it's a decent workout.

and you are doing it wrong. don't worry about finding an 'exercise' that you like. just find something you like to do that makes you sweat. and do that. you will never be able to stop looking because there are a bazillion things to do on this planet. (skateboarding is just the best :smokin: .)
  • kmgrandstaff
    Options
    I won't lie... I loathe it :) BUT... I fit in whatever I can, whenever I can. Lately, I have been using the "gazelle" set up in my family room... I iron, do dishes, laundry, make dinner..everything I would normally do for the house when I get home from work, but all of it with the tv running in the background. At EVERY commercial break, I run over, jump on that gazelle, and work it like there's no tomorrow.. :wink: As soon as the commercials are off, I go back to what I was doing. It's weird, but over the course of an evening I find that I get all of my regular things done for the family but still manage to fit in at least 45 min of activity... It's also a way to treat myself - put the iPod on and every 5th song I have to get up and move, for the next three songs. I'm not sure how much that counts as "true" exercise, but it gets my heart going and my blood pumping so it has to count for something!
  • jjdiggy
    jjdiggy Posts: 172
    Options
    I can think of more exciting things to do, however seeing the results is what drives me to do it. Some days I wake up ready to run or exercise, some days I wake up and want to go back to sleep.

It all depends on how I feel, but I know for sure when I do actually do the exercise, I feel fantastic by the end of it..not to mention proud of myself.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Even after 12 years in the US Army (Infantry) where hard physical activity is a necessity for the job, long distance runs from5 to 12 miles and long road marching (walking carrying a lot of weight) from 25 to 105 miles................ I always did it and never complained but always hated every second of it.

Now, it is a necessary part of weight loss and I am now limited to walking only for exercise but I do all that I can every single day.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    -Dance
    -Gymnastics
    -Swimming
    -Hiking
    -Horseback Riding
    -Golfing
    -Riding a bike
    -Canoeing or kayaking
    -Playing frisbee
    -Playing a sport, like baseball
    -Gardening
    -Hopscotch
    -Visit the zoo
    -Zip lining
    -Martial Arts
    -Roller Skating

I'm allergic to horses... Don't know how to ride a bike, and I'm afraid of heights (which makes riding a bike difficult too, because yeah, it's THAT bad). I should try martial arts one day though. I've tried most of the other stuff...
    going to the gym and getting in the pool is the highlight of my day. i feel really sorry for anyone who hates themself enough to just plod through a workout they hate every day without exploring other options that might actually be satisfying and enjoyable.

I'm 36, I've tried a lot of things, believe me... still haven't found anything enjoyable except walking. I'm not sure how it means I'm hating myself for forcing myself to exercise though... on the contrary, it's because I don't want to hate myself that I do.

Then just give up.

Dead serious. No one has to exercise, and if you hate it so much and you're going to shoot down dozens of suggestions, maybe it's just not for you.

If you're going to do it because you understand the benefits, then just woman up and do it without whining about how much you hate it. I don't let my kids whine so I don't understand it coming from adults.

Just go work out.

Or

Don't work out. Either way.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people who love working out, doing dvd programs etc... 1.5 year later I still don't. I force myself to do it, typically really doing half of it because I can't keep up. I've tried lots of different things. . None of that 'exercise high'. At this point I realize I just don't want it hard enough.

Is it just me?

you either want it or not-you most certainly won't get what you want feeling this way. My advise, find something you do "enjoy" and do it, a lot!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    i dislike typical exercises, so i do things that help me be active and keeps me moving! I love to dance, so there is that. Then there is walking, hiking, playing sports like badminton, tennis etc and also just fell in love with Yoga!
  • ladybuglucy
    ladybuglucy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    After careful thought I can honestly say "NO"....I do NOT like to exercise at all!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Nobody loves exercise. We do it for the benefits. It's part of being an adult, doing things we'd rather not.

Gosh, really? I love to exercise.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    -Dance
    -Gymnastics
    -Swimming
    -Hiking
    -Horseback Riding
    -Golfing
    -Riding a bike
    -Canoeing or kayaking
    -Playing frisbee
    -Playing a sport, like baseball
    -Gardening
    -Hopscotch
    -Visit the zoo
    -Zip lining
    -Martial Arts
    -Roller Skating

I'm allergic to horses... Don't know how to ride a bike, and I'm afraid of heights (which makes riding a bike difficult too, because yeah, it's THAT bad). I should try martial arts one day though. I've tried most of the other stuff...
    going to the gym and getting in the pool is the highlight of my day. i feel really sorry for anyone who hates themself enough to just plod through a workout they hate every day without exploring other options that might actually be satisfying and enjoyable.

I'm 36, I've tried a lot of things, believe me... still haven't found anything enjoyable except walking. I'm not sure how it means I'm hating myself for forcing myself to exercise though... on the contrary, it's because I don't want to hate myself that I do.

Then just give up.

Dead serious. No one has to exercise, and it you hate it so much and you're going to shoot down dozens of suggestions, maybe it's just not for you.

If you're going to do it because you understand the benefits, then just woman up and do it without whining about how much you hate it. I don't let my kids whine so I don't understand it coming from adults.

Just go work out.

Or

Don't work out. Either way.
    OP, I agree with DavPul and honestly your attitude stinks. Just look at your writings! The least you could do is show some gratitude when people make efforts to help you find something you could love doing. likitisplit's list is excellent yet you focus on exactly everything that was wrong with it. Ugh.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you like exercise you are either crazy or delusional.

You don't LIKE exercise, you like the way you feel afterward, or you like how you look after spending several weeks on a program.

No one LIKES exercise itself.

Want to lose weight?

Learn to control hunger.

Skip breakfast and make your mornings useful without stuffing your stomach.

:laugh: This is perhaps the most absurd thing I've read on MFP all week. (Previous Poster: If you don't share my views, you're insane or delusional.) That's a really dysfunctional worldview. :huh:

I stand by the post.

People aren't made to exercise. Exercise is a means to an end.

People aren't made to eat food.

It is a means to an end.

The point of all humans are to reproduce.

Everything else serves that purpose.

Even if it takes delusions or insanity to serve that purpose.

Of course, all people who say they love exercise aren't crazy- not even half of them. :)

By far most are in a delusional state conditioned by culture, or have a secondary objective, i.e. get people to enroll in their work-out class.

People who are rational know that exercise is not fun. But they need to to look good and be healthy.

We are talking repetitive exercise here and not a competitive sport like tennis or golf.

Truly an exercise in the absurd.
    Reducing the capacity to enjoy things and think to a pure repoductive function is ridiculous.

If the only purpose you have is to reproduce what are you doing on the Internet, Steve?

^^^^ this

plus the fact that natural selection favours animals who enjoy doing what's necessary to be able to survive and breed, because those animals do those things more and that gives them a greater chance of surviving and breeding. That goes pretty much right across the animal kingdom, and enjoyment itself evolved as a mechanism that gives positive feedback to animals that do what's necessary to survive and breed. And for animals that need to exert themselves to find/catch food, that includes enjoyment of the exertion necessary to catch it, i.e. physical exertion, as in physical exertion itself is enjoyable. People who don't enjoy it exist, because of variation and the fact that there's possibly a conflicting selection pressure in favour of people who don't like exercise so much, if they can find ways to get out of it that don't endanger their survival (e.g. in post-neolithic society, learning a craft rather than being a farmer, or you could argue even that you can be a farmer without exerting yourself too much if you pay, persuade or force other people to do the heavy work for you).