In your neck of the woods...What do you say?

Options

Replies

• ferniejoy
    ferniejoy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    MI, and I say pop, subs, and lightning bugs.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    And chesterfield. Not couch or sofa
  • mckeep3
    mckeep3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the Chicago area.
    I say:
    Soda pop
    hoagies
    lightning bugs
    sofa
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Soda (never met a person in real life that said "pop", only seen that in the movies)
    Subs
    Fireflies
    (from state of Maine, USA)
    LOL! That's awesome! I've never met a person that said soda! I use it sometimes because I like the way it sounds better and pop doesn't sound like something you drink. But people around here look at me funny!
  • Kirstyjem
    Kirstyjem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Fizzy drink or soft drink, sandwiches and we don't have fireflies.
    But we do have Glow-worms. Not sure if you do. They are a bug that live on the walls of caves and look like a sparkly night sky. Very pretty.
    Oh and i'm in New Zealand :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I live in, and grew up in, Northern California.
    We used to say "coke" for any sweet carbonated beverage. Or we used the specific name for the particular one we were discussing: ginger ale, 7-Up, Orange Crush. Never soda or pop. This might have changed now, as so many new people have come to California. That is one thing about California. People move here from all over, and they bring their baggage and idioms, etc.
    It's a deli sandwich. Maybe a sub. We would understand that term. Hoagie? What the heck is that?
    Fireflies? Don't have them.
    It is a couch. Sofa? Eww!
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Soda, subs, lightening bugs

I'm from North Carolina.
  • WildBillR
    WildBillR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Originally from Florida, and it's "Coke". Drives the Pizza Hut waitresses crazy, because they have to tell ya that it's "Pepsi products"...I usually just order a water since I don't like Pepsi. The second is a "Sub". The third is "lightning bugs".

Couch not sofa.

Additional items - diagonally across the street is "catty-corner", and y'all is any 2 people who aren't me. And yes, the plural of y'all is "all y'all", meaning everyone. The possessive is "y'all's". And yeah, we're fixin' to make dinner.
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Grew up in California - now in North Idaho.
    Soda
    Subs
    Lightning bugs
    Couch
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    pop, sub and lighnin' bugs
  • edgeninja
    edgeninja Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Soda, both, both.

Live in Queens, New York.
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Originally from Philly.

Soda
    Hoagie
    Lightening bugs
    Sofa and couch (use them interchangeably)
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    PA raised (born 15 minutes over the border in ohio)
    Pop but now i use soda
    lightning bugs or fireflies
    sub
    sofa or couch
    rubber bands (not gumbands like in pittsburgh)
    sprinkles (not jimmies like in Pittsburgh)
    I am far enough south in the state to say y'all and yins.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    From Ohio, suburb of Cleveland. Living in the 440.

We say pop. In fact where I work there are customers that just HATE the fact that we advertise our 1.50 "hot dog and soda combo." I work at Costco. One guy said to his mom "I refuse to call pop soda."

Subs and hoagies have different meanings. We say "subs" out here, but there is a complete different thing we call "hoagie." It's like a beef patty thing ( we used to have hoagies at the school lunch back in the day ) on a bun. But basically sandwiches are called "subs."

And then I grew up saying lightening bugs, but I've heard them both ways.
  • StephenNesbit
    StephenNesbit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1. Do you say Pop or Soda?
    2. Hoagies or Subs?
    3. Lightening bugs or fireflies?
    I'm from Louisiana:
    1. Coke. Yes, everything is a Coke. "Do you wanna Coke?" "Sure." "What kind?"
    2. Subs or Poboys. (Don't make the mistake of saying "poor boy".)
    3. Lightenin' bugs!
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Do you say Pop or Soda?
    Hoagies or Subs?
    Lightening bugs or fireflies?

I'm from Ohio but now in PA and I say Pop, subs, and lightening bugs.

Tell me what you say and where you are from and add in new words too!

I'm from Brooklyn, NY and we say soda, subs or just sandwiches,and lightening bugs.
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm from Vancouver, Canada. Soft drinks at restaurants, pop or soda are interchangeable for at home or the grocery store but I defs used pop as a child and have since adopted soda for day-to-day vocab.

Subs for sure, we don't really have any "sandwich shops" other than Subway or Quiznos so sub is kind of a colloquial overuse referring to an actual Subway restaurant/take out sandwich.

Firefly for sure, I don't think I've seen one in real life though. We do have phosphorescence or bio-luminescence in the ocean though. That counts for something.

Bonus: toque instead of beanie, mickey & 2-4 & 2-6 & 40 when it comes to liquor, washroom instead of restroom or bathroom (that caught us very off guard in a Fred Meyer this summer when my boyfriend and I were nearly wetting our pants after crossing the border but the lady had no idea what we were asking her for!), Loonies for dollars, toonies for $2 coins, deke for going somewhere super fast/popping in.
  • osudtudent8
    Options
    i'm from columbus, OH. i say soda but I call it pop if its in a can I'm weird.
    sub.
    lightning bugs!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    MN. I say
    Soda
    Subs
    Both
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm from OK
    I say pop, soda, and coke (Occasionally I break out the really hick stuff sometimes and say soda pop shhhh only with my dad though LOL)
    Subs
    and both on the lightning bug and fireflies
    I also say couch or sofa
    Lastly my mothers TX influence shines through when I part with friends and say Adios Y'all