Can't give up alcohol - started replacing meals with beer...

Options
Hiya. I am 5ft8 and 146lb (female) and am looking to lose another 20 pounds..

My total calorie goal is 1250 excluding tea and coffee (almond milk no sugar) so probably ends up at 1300

I am finding it hard to fit alcohol into my daily allowance. After work I feel like I need a drink or two and can't imagine not drinking... so to fit into my calorie goal i'm having to skip dinner in favor of beer.

Do you guys know of any really low calorie beers I can buy with good alcohol content? Thanks :)

Replies

• Fentyman
    Fentyman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Are you trolling me!? Am i being trolled!?
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    AA seems like a better option than MFP
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be mean but you might want to seek help. It's not healthy to "need" alcohol every day. As far as low cal beers, doesn't someone make a 64 calorie beer?
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It's already extremely difficult to get full nutrition on such a low calorie goal. Replacing a quarter of those calories with a few drinks a day is quite ill-advised.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5' 8" female and went from 145 lbs to 135 lbs eating 1800 - 2000 cals a day. Beer fits into that goal, a long with regular food. You could probably stand to up your calories, depending on your activity level, and rather than replacing a meal with nothing but a beer, have the drink along with a healthy dinner, and still lose the weight.
  • dalesimpson1
    dalesimpson1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I want a beer I have a Miller 64 or Bud Light 55, although I am a regular whisky drinker.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a party girl.

We likey a party girl!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Beers tend to have high calories due to being mostly not alcohol.

Presses (Flavored Vodka and Soda Water) will be your best bet, coming in at around 100 calories a pop (while a beer will bring you about 140 calories per 12 oz).

If you can keep to two presses, you can rig your dinners to be low calorie and very nutritious still.

Example dinner:

4 oz chopped grilled chicken breast covered in 1/2 diced bell pepper served over a bed of spinach and/or romaine lettuce and a glass or two of water will come in at around 300 calories.

I LOVE to go have a drink too. But if it gets to the point of affecting your nutrition, then it becomes a problem and needs to be scaled back some.

Alternatively, you could pick up exercise to offset the increased calorie intake.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    yea-k.gif
  • hambonester
    Options
    You could drink Miller Lite. 4.2%alc 96 calories/12 oz.. I like it fine for when I'm having a few... then a few more. You will rack up calories if you drink higher carb beers like a micro-brew. Dont waste your time with miller 64 or Amstel lite or Bud 55. they have like 2.4% alc. so if catching a buzz is your goal those brands are a bust. If you like the taste you could save calories with these, but they taste like water anyway. Another option, do any exercise you love (p90x3 is only 30 min) and you can drink those calories without guilt. Party on!
  • jld11050
    jld11050 Posts: 8
    Options
    Most of the lite beers are crap with the exception maybe of miller lite or amstel.. but thats my taste. Do you need the alcohol or are you a bar person. I am aheavy drinker- 3-4 days a week at the bar but have found its the bar not the alcohol so I switched to nonalcoholic beer. Haven't had a drink in 3 weeks - not going to until sept 4th ( opening day football go seahawks!) - Maybe try non alcoholic beer 5 days and reg 2 to start you off.
  • arnostbilej
    Options
    I'd say switch to weed ... but that, unfortunately, opens another Pandora's box of endless munchies. :smokin:
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem: the lower the calories, the lower the alcohol content. If you're drinking to feel the effects of alcohol then you will not be happy with some low calorie beers. Bud Select 55 calorie beer has 2.4% alcohol... 2% more than non-alcoholic beer.
  • jld11050
    jld11050 Posts: 8
    Options
    or switch to vodka on the rocks - 40-60 calories and no fat
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5' 8" female and went from 145 lbs to 135 lbs eating 1800 - 2000 cals a day. Beer fits into that goal, a long with regular food. You could probably stand to up your calories, depending on your activity level, and rather than replacing a meal with nothing but a beer, have the drink along with a healthy dinner, and still lose the weight.

^^this and....
    2cwnz3k.jpg
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Give it up to reach your goal, then add some back in when you reach it. It might fit your diet easier at maintenance.
  • macrylan
    macrylan Posts: 7
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to be rude? smfh.. answer the question or don't answer at all……

but here is my two cents when I NEED a drink or two since some work days leaving you thirsty! I usually have 2 vodka waters with cucumbers or lemon. it's not everyones cup of tea but it works for me! I also have a glass of water for each drink I have! Alcohol makes you retain water so don't give it the chance to by alternating an alcoholic drink and glass of water :-)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

My total calorie goal is 1250 excluding tea and coffee (almond milk no sugar) so probably ends up at 1300

I am finding it hard to fit alcohol into my daily allowance. After work I feel like I need a drink or two and can't imagine not drinking... so to fit into my calorie goal i'm having to skip dinner in favor of beer.

Do you guys know of any really low calorie beers I can buy with good alcohol content? Thanks :)

if this is real, it sounds like you may have a drinking problem.

with that out of the way, add some exercise every day so you have a higher calorie allowance. weight loss really isn't rocket surgery. eat less than your TDEE every day to lose weight. if you don't have room for everything you want to eat (drink), then increase your TDEE or decrease your deficit.
  • Delquin
    Delquin Posts: 33 Member
    Options

FYI, you're already in your ideal body weight zone for your height. Dropping to 126 will make you at the extreme low end, and beyond that well underweight.
    I am finding it hard to fit alcohol into my daily allowance.

So don't. You do know that alcohol is poisonous to your body, right? (And yes, I did drink and occasionally drink.)
    After work I feel like I need a drink or two and can't imagine not drinking...

No one needs alcohol. If you can't imagine not having a drink, you need to talk to someone about your dependency on alcohol.
    so to fit into my calorie goal i'm having to skip dinner in favor of beer.

And if you're skipping nutrition for poison, please go talk to someone immediately.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to be rude? smfh.. answer the question or don't answer at all……

but here is my two cents when I NEED a drink or two since some work days leaving you thirsty! I usually have 2 vodka waters with cucumbers or lemon. it's not everyones cup of tea but it works for me! I also have a glass of water for each drink I have! Alcohol makes you retain water so don't give it the chance to by alternating an alcoholic drink and glass of water :-)

I missed the rude responses. Pointing out that someone may have a drinking problem is not only NOT rude, but could be helpful for this individual moving forward. If I was replaceing meals with alcohol, and seeking ways to fit food into my day around my alcohol, I'd want someone to point out that this could be a red flag. Thanks though. Carry On.......

Oh, and in the interest of answering the question... since I am certain this was a "rude" response by your standards.... I drink bourbon & diet - about 100 calories. Don't like beer, so I can't really help you there.