Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
HUGE pet peeve of mine. Texas has a lot for example.

Kuykendahl...I'm sorry Houston, but there is no R in that word. Someone down the line couldn't say it correctly with their drawl

Lake Amistad. "Amstead". Seriously, how flipping stupid do you have to be.

Pedernales... I don't care how great a man he was, I'm still not pronouncing it as "perd"

Llano. The name is Spanish. Deal with it.

There are more, but I'll be (h)umble and not post them.

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Ponce de Leon Ave. pronounced in Atlanta: Paansss day Leeeeoyon
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I agree. Texas has a lot of them.
  • _John_
    Options
    Cheniere in NE LA is pronounced locally as shinny. I lived in Monroe for 6 years, and it took me 5 years to get what the hell the exit was they were advertising on radio ads.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Is it because they dip?
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This isn't an incorrect pronunciation, but I dislike when people refer to a city by saying just the Area code like they are some hard gangster or something.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If I can't spell it, I ain't sayin' it. I can't spell much.

Also, c'mon Boston, learn how to say 'car keys' and 'drawer'
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Haha, yes! Everyone back home just says it wrong and accepts that pronunciation.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I had a woman in a teacher conference session I was hosting who had the last name Kuykendahl. She was not from Houston, nor was she from Texas (I think she said Michigan) and it was pronounced the same way the street is pronounced. Apparently that's just how it's said.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options

Kuykendahl...I'm sorry Houston, but there is no R in that word. Someone down the line couldn't say it correctly with their drawl

Pedernales... I don't care how great a man he was, I'm still not pronouncing it as "perd"

I'm from Houston...as soon as I saw this topic title, Kuykendahl was the first thing that popped in my head. :bigsmile: (I pronounce it correctly...just throwing that out there)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all over the South, people say INsurance instead of inSURance. Working in insurance, that always bugged the hell out of me.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    There are many streets with French names in Detroit. Everyone butchers them, and it drives me nuts.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

I'm from Houston...as soon as I saw this topic title, Kuykendahl was the first thing that popped in my head. :bigsmile: (I pronounce it correctly...just throwing that out there)

I'm curious... How do you pronounce it correctly? I need some phonetics here.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Haha, yes! Everyone back home just says it wrong and accepts that pronunciation.

They do say that in Atlanta and will even "correct" you if you say it any other way.
  • _John_
    Options

kike in doll
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Language is a funny, dynamic thing.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say foyer like foy er instead of foy ay. Its a french word... silly me
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Apparently in the mid-west they have problems with French pronunciations of French words. Particularly in the names of their cities and towns.

I'm looking at you Versailles, Indiana (Ver-sales)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    There are parks called Schifferdecker and Schermerhorn in my general area and everyone pronounces them "Shiffendecker" and "Shimmerhorn".

Oh, there's also a restaurant with the name of ____ _____ Espressoria. Everyone just calls it _____ _______ Express (it can't be shortened because there are other restaurants with the same first 2 words in their name). I do it too, because I feel like I'd sound like a pretentious jerk saying 'espressoria' when no one else does. But it still bugs me because I hate when people say "expresso" for espresso!
  • kurt1305
    kurt1305 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeah, listen to old English sometime. They think you do it wrong.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

kike in doll
    I assume it's Dutch. That's not how a Dutch would pronounce it though.