Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Options

Replies

• _JustDG_
    _JustDG_ Posts: 1,584
    Options
    Down the mountain there's the tiny town of Snowville, the natives say snaw-vol... It always takes me a minute to interpret.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    How's the incorrect way? Brusch (German, like English brush) - etta?
    Yeah. That would be incorrect,

brroo-sket-tah would be correct.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    How's the incorrect way? Brusch (German, like English brush) - etta?
    Yeah. That would be incorrect,

brroo-sket-tah would be correct.
    :)
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Okay, here's one for the Brits: Gloucestershire. I think I recall it without the "ce" in there, but I'm not sure.

There are many tricky areas in London, too. Marylebone looks to be read Mary-le-bone, but I vaguely remember Maryl-bone.

Yep glos-ter-shire. Same as Leicestershire -les-ter-shire.
    My husband and I both say mar-lee-bone.
    Ah ha! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Missed off a bit... Neither of us are from London so we may possibly be wrong.... Although that'd make everyone I've ever played monopoly* with wrong too. (*it's one of the stations). :)

Edit to add an apostrophe. Just incase it bothers fellow pedants.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    There are many streets with French names in Detroit. Everyone butchers them, and it drives me nuts.

Canadian weighing in.....even though we are supposedly bi lingual we have a road here called Marquis de Lorne trail that everyone calls Markus de Lorne.

Oh, and I live in Calgary, not CallGary :smile:
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    This isn't an incorrect pronunciation, but I dislike when people refer to a city by saying just the Area code like they are some hard gangster or something.

Ugh, they do that in Virginia Beach all the time! Drives me nuts.

They do this in New Mexico ALL THE TIME!!

Its the 505
    or burque (pronounced boodkey)

I dont live there anymore but it confused me when I first heard the second one,, i was like where?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Apparently in the mid-west they have problems with French pronunciations of French words. Particularly in the names of their cities and towns.

I'm looking at you Versailles, Indiana (Ver-sales)

Indiana ain't France... it's their town, they can say the name any way they want....

Do you get upset when the people of New Orleans pronounce in N'awlins? Or Worcester, Mass is pronounced Wooster? Should the good folks in Paris, TX say they live in PARE-ee? (not if they don't want their respective *kitten* kicked)

Language is local and the locals make the rules... if you want French names with French pronunciations, there's always France, or Quebec, or Haiti, or...

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have family on the AZ/NM border. They refuse to pronounce a nearby down as roe-Day-oh, it's Roe-dee-oh, and when I pronounced it correctly, I was corrected.

Yeah, lots of hatred for the people who sneak across the border (and cause trouble) and they take it out on the language.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Apparently in the mid-west they have problems with French pronunciations of French words. Particularly in the names of their cities and towns.

How would you pronounce Des Moines?
    Not Dess Moinsss, but DeMoins. ?

I lived in Des Moines for several years. We pronounced it Duh Moyn. Anyone saying Dez Moinz is obviously an outsider.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    that's West Hull folk for you haha, in the east it will sound more like cowk'ue lol
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    that's West Hull folk for you haha, in the east it will sound more like cowk'ue lol
    :D
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say foyer like foy er instead of foy ay. Its a french word... silly me
    I wouldn't pronounce with an ay in the end, if I spoke French. Americans have a weird way of pronouncing French.

Faux is one vowel in sound yet it becomes two in some miraculous way over there.

And don't get me started on hors d'oeuvres, that one makes my ears bleed.

If it's a French word, why is it in my English dictionary? Isn't it possible to have an English pronunciation? Or better yet an American English pronunciation?

English is nothing *but* borrowed words... I'm guessing <1% are pronounced anywhere near the pronunciation of the original language.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Heh, please come to the city of Pittsburgh. Where words with "ow" sound are pronounced with an "ah" sound.

Dahntahn, ftw.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Nevada

Correct: NE-VA (like VAG)-DUH

Incorrect: NU-VAH (like VOLUME)-duh
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There are many streets with French names in Detroit. Everyone butchers them, and it drives me nuts.

I live in Windsor and it's the same here.

Pierre Ave. gets pronounced 'peery' for crying out loud. :tongue:
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options

I lived in Des Moines for several years. We pronounced it Duh Moyn. Anyone saying Dez Moinz is obviously an outsider.

This is more an observation from Indiana and Ohio. I guess I should have been more specific. :)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Thanks! How I'd spell it DeMoin then :) (My alphabet is very different so the "duh" etc. are a bit confusing to try to "translate".)
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Oh. I forgot!
    bruschetta - dated a woman who actually got in TROUBLE at work (waitress in upstate WI) for pronouncing it correctly. One would think restaurateurs would know better

Grrrr. You took mine.

For the record I learned from a cartoon (Bob's Burgers) to not pronounce espresso with an "x". When Bob said it my thoughts were, "Why is saying that so weird?. I looked up how it was spelled and realized I'm a moron. It's one of those things like bruschetta that 99% of people say incorrectly.

+1 for WI. We have fun cities to pronounce. It's fun to hear southerners pronounce Waukesha. You're putting the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I live in Iowa... and we have several towns with issues

Nevada - pronounced ne-VAY-duh

Madrid - pronounced MAA-drid

but the worst by far is Tripoli - pronounced tri-POH-luh

Yah! Totally know what you mean. Grew up in Iowa.

Peru (down by Winterset) is pronounced Pee Rue.

Stuart was pronounced Stert.

And yep on that too.

Worked in Louisiana for a bit. A town north of Alexandria was spelled Natchichoches. It was pronounced Nak-O-Dees by the locals.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Jaysus, so much tado bout nawthin!