42 calorie macaroni and cheese!

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was super curious about this, so I did a little number crunching using the food database here, and I got numbers that were between 43 and 49 calories. So just a liiiiittle bit off, but damn those are still some really low numbers! :)

@SherryTeach That's too bad! I was just thinking that I was going to try this recipe myself… What was so bad about the mac and cheese you ate? Was it the shirataki noodles? I've never heard of them before...

It was the shirataki noodles, which even though I followed all the recommendations for preparing them, were weird in texture and taste. Also, there is no way that cottage cheese can substitute for good cheddar! Maybe other people would like it. Let me know!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Wow in one day I went from hating the forums to defending the "haters" ... I had to step back and logically think things through..
    What's happening to me :(
    tumblr_m66w5gnCfO1rotev2o1_500.gif

see?...I told ya (in the hater thread) that if ya hung around here long enough you'd be just like the 'meanies' :laugh:
    giphy.gif
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    about 7 hours to go :tongue:

Doing 1 packet of noodles, 25g cottage cheese, 25g low fat shredded cheese, mustard and spices. I'll dry fry the noodles first as this always works best.
  • MINDyourMOXIE
    MINDyourMOXIE Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for trying this and letting us know how it turns out!! Pics too? Good luck :wink:
  • Starlightstiel
    Starlightstiel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP! : D

I tried this and it was actually surprisingly good! Obviously it isn't as good as the real thing, but for such a low carb/low calorie replacement, it came pretty damn close.

I didn't have reduced fat cheese so I just used regular, but that hardly made a difference with the calories. I also didn't microwave it (I don't like the taste of microwaved food), and I dry-fried the noodles first then added the rest of ingredients and fried it all together til the cheese melted and it was hot.

I would definitely make this again if I had a major macncheese craving. Although it isn't quite as good as real macncheese, it really DOES stop a macncheese craving (which I get ALL The time) right in its tracks.

For people not used to shirataki noodles--try not to let the texture get to you. The taste is honestly not bad, but the texture is what can throw some people off. Dry frying helps.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    just reading it makes me feel sickish:indifferent: :indifferent: :embarassed: :frown:
  • Girlg0yle
    Girlg0yle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    After taking a look at the OP's diary...I'm just going to leave this here, just in case.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

I know how it is to want to lose the weight and want to do it fast, but doing what you are doing isn't healthy at all and it could lead to some serious consequences. Please reconsider what you are doing to yourself.

She only offered the recipe...she didn't say it was all she was eating. She may very well be making as a side dish to a full meal. I love the idea that I could make a side of mac n cheese for only 42 cal...would go well with a bbq chicken breast and a big pile of steamed brocoli
  • Souhaits
    Souhaits Posts: 12
    Options
    I found this recipe while searching for low-carb ideas for my shirataki noodles. Anyone tried it? I'm pretty excited, but I just have a feeling it might be too good to be true. Then again, it has been AGES since I've had mac n cheese, so maybe I won't notice too much : P.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/healthy-recipes/skinny-mac-n-cheese

Ingredients:
    1 bag (7 ounces) shirataki ziti noodles
    1 pinch salt
    2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
    2 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese
    3 tablespoons shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    Directions:
    Wash noodles thoroughly in water and pat dry with a paper towel. Place in a bowl and mix in remaining ingredients, adding pepper to taste. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese is fully melted.

If you were to make a bigger portion, I would say put the milk in a sauce pan, heat it up to a simmer-boil and turn it off. Then add the cheese in it and mix until it is melted or add in whatever else you'd like in . That way you have a nicer, smoother sauce.
    Pour it over the noodles and mix it.

As for the noodles, I personally don't like them. It's too rubbery/chewy for me.. I haven't found a way to make them pasta-like. Just remember to wash them very well to get rid of the smell..

(Spaghetti Squash all the way! :happy: )
  • Tugar4440
    Tugar4440 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For those of you blessed enough not to go into a diabetic coma from a serving or two of real pasta, eat the real thing. Pasta has somewhere between 40-60+ grams of carbohydrate PER SERVING. That's before you add anything.

I have had the shirataki noodles. Rinse and dry fry or add to a homemade ramen stock. The real shirataki noodles are a weird brown looking thing but have zero carbs and the tofu-shirataki are about 2g per serving. I've found them in the package for about $1.60 each. Not cheap as it's about 2 servings, but for very low carb....it works. Made stir fry and soup so far.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    IMG_20140801_195624.jpg

Was pretty good. All the cheese is melted on the inside of the noodles. For just over 100 cals it is decently filling. (There is 350g of veggies in the other bowl as well though)

I haven't had real mac and cheese in a LONG time. Not for caloric reasons, it's just not a big favourite of mine so not a whole lot to compare to.

For the amount of noodles I had, real pasta would be an extra 200 cals so easy to fit in. (But I prefer to use my carbs on better stuff than that :smile:)
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bad-food.gif
  • hookilau
    Options
    Oh, and...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSL3IgpIKFhNnSg2GjFnSIliX6Cu-2q7pP5WTfUkzomhyQUKL4S
    and
    resized_white-knight-meme-generator-suddenly-a-wild-white-knight-appears-05e041.jpg

And what's wrong with"white knighting"? You should try it . You might actually like the role.. She is trying to lose weight by coming here. Yes, the recipe isn't the best, but put yourself in her shoes and see how you feel. I hope all of us are successful at whatever we do and sincerely hope she returns.

and everyone gets a trophy :tongue:
  • hookilau
    Options

And if you've been on the forums awhile, you also tend to notice people who are pro-ana tend to lean towards certain low cal foods (shirataki noodles being one of the favorite choices) in order to fool themselves into being fool while trying to maintain their dangerous lifestyles. I've also known people in recovery from such eating disorders that have admitted this to me. But again, that wasn't the reason I put up the link.

So how is it attacking when someone shows genuine concern of someone else who is seemingly displaying certain behaviours (like habitual low calorie logging) to provide the link to the National Eating Disorder website that provides information and services for those with EDs to get help, again?

THis...a great many people just respond to posts without taking into account the context within which a person is asking a question or for advice. So much is can be found by a little profile creepin' to get a fair assumption about the individual.

By virtue *alone* of OP deactivating after such a mild thread (relatively) can only indicate a couple of things...

1. the whole ED thing touched a nerve
    2. after 2 yrs and only 20 posts, she really didn't care for MFP anyway
    3. rage quit over not getting a trophy

No matter though, it's just the internet :huh: and I say....let there be gifs.
    Lots & lots of gifs.
    tumblr_m1k3xiRtyp1r7e0mc.gif
  • hookilau
    Options
    Bobs-Burgers-Season-4-Fort-Night-2.png
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking one for the team Chris. I have seen these "noodles" but have yet to muster up the courage to try them....I think that the post about them being fishy smelling have further put me off. What is the dry fry method that you mentioned? if you don't mind. I personally LOVE pasta, so I cant see a lasting relationship w/ these...but I guess I will never know unless I try.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

And if you've been on the forums awhile, you also tend to notice people who are pro-ana tend to lean towards certain low cal foods (shirataki noodles being one of the favorite choices) in order to fool themselves into being fool while trying to maintain their dangerous lifestyles. I've also known people in recovery from such eating disorders that have admitted this to me. But again, that wasn't the reason I put up the link.

So how is it attacking when someone shows genuine concern of someone else who is seemingly displaying certain behaviours (like habitual low calorie logging) to provide the link to the National Eating Disorder website that provides information and services for those with EDs to get help, again?

THis...a great many people just respond to posts without taking into account the context within which a person is asking a question or for advice. So much is can be found by a little profile creepin' to get a fair assumption about the individual.

By virtue *alone* of OP deactivating after such a mild thread (relatively) can only indicate a couple of things...

Lots & lots of gifs.

Totally disagree. There are people who have been on MFP who post very few times. So what??? That's her business, so how do you come up with she didn't care about MFP
    Somehow she was labeled with a eating disorder. Really. She stated she wasn't logging all her food. That also is her business
    She came to MFP for a reason like the rest of us did . We don't know how fragile people are and don't know what their lives are like. It's easier to go with the flow and make fun of her, then try to understand her.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Looks like it isn't that bad according to people who tried it. Never knew about dry roasting the noodles! I'm glad some people are sticking to the main point of the thread which is the recipe instead of talking about whether or not the OP has an eating disorder which is definitely not on topic. AHEM.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Totally disagree. There are people who have been on MFP who post very few times. So what??? That's her business, so how do you come up with she didn't care about MFP
    Somehow she was labeled with a eating disorder. Really. She stated she wasn't logging all her food. That also is her business
    She came to MFP for a reason like the rest of us did . We don't know how fragile people are and don't know what their lives are like. It's easier to go with the flow and make fun of her, then try to understand her.

No, she wasn't.

edit: here, I'll help.
    After taking a look at the OP's diary...I'm just going to leave this here, just in case.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

I know how it is to want to lose the weight and want to do it fast, but doing what you are doing isn't healthy at all and it could lead to some serious consequences. Please reconsider what you are doing to yourself.

now where does it say "OP, you have an ED" ?
  • hookilau
    Options

Lots & lots of gifs.

not that I care...but there's a great big difference btw what I said..."care for" vs what you said "care about" MFP....there are other calorie counting sites out there as OP stated, she logs on another site.
    Meh. Who cares?...she's long gone anyway...and it's Friday :laugh:
  • hookilau
    Options