Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Jewelry as "jew-ler-y."
    Not helped by the alternative (also correct) spelling of jewellery. I think Jewelry is US, and Jewellery is English? (Ha even my auto-correct on Safari says Jewelry is wrong).
    Yes, jewelry is US. I don't get how it turns into jewlery in some mouths, when it says jewel-ry. I spell it jewellery, though.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Yikes! It's one thing to completely mispronounce a word. But to be called ignorant for using your local accent/dialect is pretty harsh.

And I have to say that people spelling things wrong is way worse than people saying things wrong, especially with so many communications these days through email, text, internet forums, etc....

*Hope I didn't spell anything wrong here*

Yes! I get upset every time I'm arguing with someone online and the other person writes "your" when they mean "you're," I cannot continue to take their points seriously. A person who writes "there" instead of "their" just looks stupid. Many of the people who do this on Facebook went to the same school with me, so I don't understand how they don't know the differences.
    My eyes bleed too and English isn't even my first language. I had it for five years only in school, but have managed to pick up all the basics anyway. Punctuation is a weak point still, unfortunately.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Jewelry as "jew-ler-y."
    Not helped by the alternative (also correct) spelling of jewellery. I think Jewelry is US, and Jewellery is English? (Ha even my auto-correct on Safari says Jewelry is wrong).
    Yes, jewelry is US. I don't get how it turns into jewlery in some mouths, when it says jewel-ry. I spell it jewellery, though.
    That must be regional. I say jewl-ry and so does everyone I know.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options

I'm curious... How do you pronounce it correctly? I need some phonetics here.

kike in doll

Thanks I was curious too. I would never have guessed "kike in doll".

My last chance to try to help a fellow "mispronouncer" LOL... :-) Re-posting my 2cents from page two of this feed... moving on to bigger and better things now!

Re-post as follows:

So I looked up the pronunciation and this is what my search returned...

kerr ken doll
    Kuy - sounds like 'Ker' (rhymes with "her")
    kendahl = ken doll, like Barbie's Boyfriend

So" kike in doll" may not be correct... :-) Heck what do I know, I never saw or heard the name/word until now! LOL!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Jewelry as "jew-ler-y."
    Oh but some people stick an e in there like this jewl-E-ry :)
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Jewelry as "jew-ler-y."

I *think* I do. But then I'm British. It also depends on how lazy I'm being.
    I'm still struggling to think how I pronounce Aluminium - over enunciating it slowly is not helping. :) (All I know is I don't say a-loo-mi-num)
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I'm still struggling to think how I pronounce Aluminium - over enunciating it slowly is not helping. :) (All I know is I don't say a-loo-mi-num)
    like minion perhaps? alu - MInion? alu - MInium? I place the weight on MI.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Many of the people who do this on Facebook went to the same school with me, so I don't understand how they don't know the differences.

I am constantly amazed at the difference in overall knowledge in the people who went to the same school I did. It blows my mind -- they had the same teachers and classes at the same time and some are quite competent and others, I don't know how they graduated.

Straying off-topic I know, but it amazes me how some professional people don't know how to spell their OWN fields of study. How can you be a psychologist (or even a freshman psychology MAJOR) and still spell it pyscology? Or the nurse practitioner who constantly refers to herself as "Tammy Reed, RN, nurse pracioner" on paperwork? Scary stuff.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Incorrect past tenses get my goat too. "I won you" is a personal fave. Did you? Are you taking me home?
    [

I can't figure out what "I won you" is supposed to mean. I'm seriously confused. I need some context. When would a person say that?
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

I'm curious... How do you pronounce it correctly? I need some phonetics here.

kike in doll

I work with a woman who has that as a last name. She pronounces it KY-kendall.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Jewelry as "jew-ler-y."
    I know some people do. But I haven't really come across it. That's why I think it depends on where you're from in the US.

There isn't just US vs. British pronunciation with a lot of words. There are regions within both countries where people pronounce words differently from other regions within the same country.

I believe within the UK, to get specific, how one pronounces "pasta" depends on where one grew up. Some say p-ah-sta and some p-*kitten*-ta.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Lol Winnipeg is full of French named streets that are butchered daily.

Lagimodier
    Chevier
    St Boniface
    Notre Dame (Dame like "name" and I don't even know what people are doing with the Notre part)

Also gotta say.. my GPS is the worst offender haha. It pronounces Kenaston (Like Barbie and Ken) like Keeenaston. And Watt Street is "What?" Street.

I'll also add:

- Pellow (Pillow)
    - Melk (Milk)
    and anything like that is very very common here.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Incorrect past tenses get my goat too. "I won you" is a personal fave. Did you? Are you taking me home?
    [

I can't figure out what "I won you" is supposed to mean. I'm seriously confused. I need some context. When would a person say that?
    Maybe it means "I beat you"?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    None of these are incorrect (except that Coke is trade-marked, I believe, yet used as a generic term to describe all similar cola products), but are regional differences:

pop
    soda
    soda pop
    coke
    *Insert additional names here.*
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    This isn't a pronunciation, but I'm from the Philadlephia suburbs, and we eat HOAGIES here. Apparently everyone else in the entire country calls them "subs" or "grinders". Not sure why we had to be special.

Also, people in Pennysylvania pronounce water as "woodder" instead of "wahter". Drives me insane.

Not all of us say "wooder". Just people from Philly.
    Also, we invented hoagies. We get to call them whatever we want.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have two.
    My native Vermonter husband doesn't have ideas, he has "ideers"!!! And the car isn't parked inthe garage, it is in the "gararge"!!
    Makes me nuts!

The thing that makes me most crazy is when people say "you disrespected me". Since when is disrespect a verb?!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Lancaster, PA.

It's pronounced lan-kiss-ter

Easiest way to figure out if someone is local or not.

Thank you, yes, was going to say this.
    Also in Eastern PA we have a town called "New Tripoli". It's pronounced "New Tra-POLE-ee" not like the city in Libya.
  • rml_16
    Options

The thing that makes me most crazy is when people say "you disrespected me". Since when is disrespect a verb?!

Since always:

dis·re·spect [dis-ri-spekt] Show IPA
    noun
    lack of respect; discourtesy; rudeness.
    verb (used with object)
    to regard or treat without respect; regard or treat with contempt or rudeness.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Here in Detroit we have a road called Livernois (French= Li-vern-wah) but you will not find a Detroiter that doesn't say "Li-ver-noise" but we do pronounce "Cadiuex" (Kad-joo) correctly.

And Detroit is actually "Day-Twah" but if you say that in public, you may get shot...

Ok, if you ARE in public you may get shot.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Here in Detroit we have a road called Livernois (French= Li-vern-wah) but you will not find a Detroiter that doesn't say "Li-ver-noise" but we do pronounce "Cadiuex" (Kad-joo) correctly.

And Detroit is actually "Day-Twah" but if you say that in public, you may get shot...

Ok, if you ARE in public you may get shot.

Kinda funny, but true.