1200 cal is NOT enough

Options

Replies

• Dayiscoming
    Dayiscoming Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Huh, well I'll let my certified diabetes educator, who is also a registered dietician with the Cleveland Clinic, know that she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about then, because she has me on 1,200 calories a day, and I am not to eat back my exercise calories. Perhaps you should educate yourself before you go spouting off about these things, as you clearly do not know it all.

Perhaps you should read how I corrected myself. For MOST.
    SOME people can do it.

EDIT: (Although I would be a little hesitant to agree with 1200 calories AND a net lower than that? I mean trust your dietitian. She clearly knows more than I do. :-*)

Yeah, I think the dietitian could be wrong here too. I think you should definitely eat back your exercise calories as long as you calculated your calorie burn correctly. I don't believe your dietitian sounds familiar with MFP.

I saw someone talking about feeling weak and shakey. I agree, if you feel weak and shakey, up your calories. I have a friend that has her deal set for 1,000 net goal and eats more on weekends. She is only 5 ft tall and post-menopausal, so her hormones also make it tough to lose. Her fitbit thing tells her to eat less that 1200 too because she doesn't burn that much compared to tall people. So far, she is fine with this. - Not directed at OP, since you clarified what you meant. Just saying in case someone reads this later.
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Huh, well I'll let my certified diabetes educator, who is also a registered dietician with the Cleveland Clinic, know that she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about then, because she has me on 1,200 calories a day, and I am not to eat back my exercise calories. Perhaps you should educate yourself before you go spouting off about these things, as you clearly do not know it all.

I would get a second opinion from a medical professional... like a doctor, *especially* if diabetes is involved. :flowerforyou: Sure OP doesn't know it all but neither does your "registered dietician". I have come to find that a lot of people are "certified" in various fields but are the furthest thing from experts. 1200 and not eating back seems really low. When I did see my doctor she thought I was crazy for attempting it- I was supposed to NET 1200.

It's possible they feel it's more important to get some of the extra weight off of you for insulin regulation (they tried this with my mother) but I don't think that could be a long term diet...?
  • DeWitch
    DeWitch Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with you! For me, I tried 1200 calories a day to "jump start" my weight loss and it has had the opposite effect. I want to eat all the time, no matter how much protein I get, and I feel utterly defeated because I haven't lost weight at that level. I went and calculated my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and it was almost 2500 calories. ANYTHING under that and I will lose weight. Based on the calculator I used I need to eat approximately 1500 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week, which is healthy. I am a woman who is 5'5", 313 lbs, and 45 years old. I do weight training 3 days a week. I've upped my calories and am having more success. Down 38 pounds so far! Yay me!
    Hi there Daisyalahmad ,
    Maybe you should try one of the ADF's. I use EODD* but was bashed by management (and now have one strike against me) for suggesting it - but you could look up the JUDDD group here which is the exact same eating plan and is apparently okay to suggest - Go figure???
    Anyway it works great and is really easy for me
    *Every Other Day Diet
    written by Krista Varady, Ph.D. and Bill Gottlieb, CHC
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/08/alternate-day-fasting.aspx

Why would she do that plan? She's having great success losing now.

???
    EXCUSE ME!
    I had not read it to the end before I suggested and then I saw it and changed it before I even read yours!
    what a bunch of "jump on everyone" nasties here - just like I said in my first reply to the original post
    Oh, I also re-edited to put the name of the person who I was responding to so I am not lying that I first edited it before your post
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It seems most of you want quick and instant results but under eating isnt the way to do it. Permanent and HEALTHY results that you can sustain are going to take time, effort, and certainly a hell of a lot more food.
    I was successful at getting in shape by concentrating on what I was doing, not lecturing others on what they should be doing. 1,200 calories fine for some people.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    The OP is right. All these people disagreeing with her for all the wrong reasons. Some of you saying "im fine on 1200 calories" You are damaging your body. Like the OP said, figure out your bmr and tdee. If you cant lose on more than 1200 calories then you are eating more than you think.

Or you are a shorter older less active woman for whom 1200 is the right amount and you are eating what you think and you are not damaging your body at all.
  • veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I would get a second opinion from a medical professional... like a doctor, especially if diabetes is involved. Sure OP doesn't know it all but neither does your "registered dietician". I have come to find that a lot of people are "certified" in various fields but are the furthest thing from experts. 1200 and not eating back seems low. When I did see my doctor she thought I was crazy for attempting it.

It's possible they feel it's more important to get some of the extra weight off of you for insulin regulation (they did this with my mother) but I don't think that could be a long term diet...?

Agreed!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child. 1200 calories was my lunch yesterday, not a days worth of intake! I don't want to hear any excuses like "I'm never hungry" or that you cant find any high calorie foods that are healthy.

My diet is heavily plant based. Even if my foods are not high calorie, I eat frequently and that adds up!

Furthermore, if you can't meet a simple calorie goal you shouldn't even be exercising and causing further damage to you body.
    1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really) if you want to know how much you should really be eating calculate your BMR and then add calories based on your activity level OR calculate your TDEE which I highly recommend.

It seems most of you want quick and instant results but under eating isnt the way to do it. Permanent and HEALTHY results that you can sustain are going to take time, effort, and certainly a hell of a lot more food.

Some find 1,200 calories enough others don't. Furthermore, 1,200 calories is the value set by MFP. To each their own and if it is working for them, more power to them. I had no problem with 1,200 calories and I'm sure other smaller women have not problem with it either. I did calculate my BMR and TDEE too.
  • veg56kg
    Options
    The OP is right. All these people disagreeing with her for all the wrong reasons. Some of you saying "im fine on 1200 calories" You are damaging your body. Like the OP said, figure out your bmr and tdee. If you cant lose on more than 1200 calories then you are eating more than you think.

Or you are a shorter older less active woman for whom 1200 is the right amount and you are eating what you think and you are not damaging your body at all.

I have already stated this. Multiple times.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Tagging for reference
  • veg56kg
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child. 1200 calories was my lunch yesterday, not a days worth of intake! I don't want to hear any excuses like "I'm never hungry" or that you cant find any high calorie foods that are healthy.

My diet is heavily plant based. Even if my foods are not high calorie, I eat frequently and that adds up!

Furthermore, if you can't meet a simple calorie goal you shouldn't even be exercising and causing further damage to you body.
    1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really) if you want to know how much you should really be eating calculate your BMR and then add calories based on your activity level OR calculate your TDEE which I highly recommend.

Some find 1,200 calories enough others don't. Furthermore, 1,200 calories is the value set by MFP. To each their own and if it is working for them, more power to them. I had no problem with 1,200 calories and I'm sure other smaller women have not problem with it either. I did calculate my BMR and TDEE too.

I stated this multiple times already, and I don't trust MFP for my calculations.
  • veg56kg
    Options
    I was successful at getting in shape by concentrating on what I was doing, not lecturing others on what they should be doing. 1,200 calories fine for some people.

I already addressed this and corrected myself.
  • DeWitch
    DeWitch Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As entertaining as this has been, maybe we should start debating something else.
    WHAT SHE SAID;)
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with you! For me, I tried 1200 calories a day to "jump start" my weight loss and it has had the opposite effect. I want to eat all the time, no matter how much protein I get, and I feel utterly defeated because I haven't lost weight at that level. I went and calculated my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and it was almost 2500 calories. ANYTHING under that and I will lose weight. Based on the calculator I used I need to eat approximately 1500 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week, which is healthy. I am a woman who is 5'5", 313 lbs, and 45 years old. I do weight training 3 days a week. I've upped my calories and am having more success. Down 38 pounds so far! Yay me!
    Hi there Daisyalahmad ,
    Maybe you should try one of the ADF's. I use EODD* but was bashed by management (and now have one strike against me) for suggesting it - but you could look up the JUDDD group here which is the exact same eating plan and is apparently okay to suggest - Go figure???
    Anyway it works great and is really easy for me
    *Every Other Day Diet
    written by Krista Varady, Ph.D. and Bill Gottlieb, CHC
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/08/alternate-day-fasting.aspx

Why would she do that plan? She's having great success losing now.

???
    EXCUSE ME!
    I had not read it to the end before I suggested and then I saw it and changed it before I even read yours!
    what a bunch of "jump on everyone" nasties here - just like I said in my first reply to the original post

Over sensitive much?
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My son lost 65 lbs on 1200 calories a day for 14 weeks. He's 6'1". He also was exercising about 8 hours a day (this was at a spa). Then he came home and upped his caloric intake and lost an additional 55 in about a year. He's still alive and healthier than ever. Not sure how 1200 calories was not enough. I think it's a good way to kick start your program.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options

And you are sure about that?
  • veg56kg
    Options
    My son lost 65 lbs on 1200 calories a day for 14 weeks. He's 6'1". He also was exercising about 8 hours a day (this was at a spa). Then he came home and upped his caloric intake and lost an additional 55 in about a year. He's still alive and healthier than ever. Not sure how 1200 calories was not enough. I think it's a good way to kick start your program.

WHAT
    1200 calories a 6'1 AND exercising that much? Not healthy whatsoever. Good thing he upped his intake, congats on his weight loss I guess
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options

I have already stated this. Multiple times.

My comment was replying to the post I quoted, not actually to you.
  • veg56kg
    Options

And you are sure about that?

I disagree with the last sentence but all i was saying is to eat enough, and if 1200 isnt enough for you it can be very damaging
  • thatsmedrea
    thatsmedrea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This thread was interesting to read :smile: I just got back into using myfitnesspal and never really read the threads until a friend told me about this.

At the end of the day, people need to just do what is best for them. That's all.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I said "1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone"

...you then went on to say " or anyone really" ......

To me, this meant, 1200 is not enough as a universal number or for anyone...... Apologies if this is not what you meant!
    For some of us...and I mean me.... to be absolutely specific!...... Losing weight at TDEE hasn't happened, losing weight at 1200 and eating back exercise calories, hasn't happened also. I am finding it hard to find my numbers! I am glad eating in excess of 1200 works for you... Great! It doesn't for others!!!

If you're eating back exercise calories and your small enough to where 1200 is enough for you I see nothing wrong with that.

Hmm, 19 years old and knows it all! Unless your are extremely brilliant, you aren't old enough to have any credentials to make any of your advice credible. I see no scientific studies backing your position. Quite frankly, I wouldn't accept your attitude from my own kids who are considerably older than you. How about you do you and I'll do me and let everyone else do what they want to do?
This discussion has been closed.