Who has been able to lose with 1200 calorie diet?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I could lose on 1200..but I would also be miserable, hungry, and grouchy. Why put myself through that?
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 14 lbs in a month and a half. Sometimes I eat more, but I am always at a deficit so I don't worry too awful much about it. I also watch my sodium and saturated fats as well as trans fats. I actually eat more now than I use to before I started MFP. I never ate breakfast. So 1200 is good for me. I am losing weight at about a 1-2 lbs a week. Once I get another 20-30 lbs gone, I will add more if I need to. A lot of people will throw a fit and tell you that 1200 is too low but I am 5'2" and considering I eat more now than before, I pay no attention to them.
  • corksterfl87
    corksterfl87 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person! I always stick to 1200 cal a day. It always feels me up unless I'm on my cheat day then I'll go over. I usually lose 2 pounds a week :happy:
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My official MFP limit is 1350, but I rarely reach it.

When I started I was VERY inactive (think slug) but I'm slowly getting into adding more activity to my life, so I may start thinking about adding back a bit from my exercise calories.
  • nelsogr1
    nelsogr1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 22 lbs in 6 months... started at 1200/day for 3 months and lost weight. Started feeling hungry every night after dinner. A friend suggested I up my calories by 50 per day. That worked for a month and I started getting hungry again. I upped my calories to 1300 per day and have been doing that for a couple of months. Now whenever the "hungries" start hitting every night, I grab a jar of peanut butter (a favorite weakness) and a spoon & eat till I'm satisfied (and I don't record it)! That seems to keep the hungries under control for a few weeks. Wishing you much success!
  • KathieZ123
    KathieZ123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :happy: I have lost 12 lbs and am just now really getting into trying to lose weight. It is working for me. I still have my bad days on the weekend, in my food choices. The weight loss is slow but I am picking up steam.
    :bigsmile:
  • KathieZ123
    Options
    I trust the program so I decided not to change my goal to more calories. I thought about it but my ways usually do not work. At little over 100 days I have lost 12 pounds. When I get hungry I try to eat something t hat doesn't have any calories, like celery. Well maybe 1 or 2.:happy:
  • KathieZ123
    Options
    When you stop cheating you will lose, just sayin'. Ha ha! I thought I was never going to lose and I would have to accept that I am a fat woman. Not true, I'm losing and it is just over 100 days/12 lbs. That's my story. Good luck.
  • mojojorox
    mojojorox Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Me!! I started at 151 pounds, I am down to 140 pounds, and I have been on a 1,050 calorie diet. I have not lost a noticeable amount of lean mass, it is all fat it seems. If you eat the right foods, you aren't hungry all the time.

how long did it take you to lose those 11lbs? Just curious!!
  • Sue_Lynn
    Sue_Lynn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely RIGHT!!! :) Everyone's different. You have to play around with the calorie count a little bit. MFP comes really close in its initial estimation, but its only an estimation. I find that anything below 1400 feels like starvation and I end up binge eating after a couple days of that. So, I upped my calories til I found a more comfortable way to lose. I always add back in my workout calories, too. Also, if you're body thinks its starving, metabolism will slow down, further derailing weight-loss efforts.
    Keep in mind that, statistically speaking, the more slowly you take off the weight, the more likely it is fat and not muscle that comes off, and, the more likely you are to keep more of it off.
    Keep in mind also, that if you lose 1/2 pound a week for the rest of the year, you will be 26 pounds lighter at this time next year (if you have that much to lose). That is a lot of weight that will probably stay off. And you won't feel starved. :)
    Be patient with yourself while you take a little time to learn your own nutrition... Lotsa luck!
  • japaneseboy
    japaneseboy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i have been consistently losing 1kg per week at 1200 net calories for 6 weeks now (from 84kg to 78kg).

during this time i have improved my fitness (ran 15km yesterday, doing 30 pullups daily and 300 pushups every other day) and seing great results in my physique.

1200 works very well for me.

P.S.: This is as a 6ft male.