1200 cal is NOT enough

Options

Replies

• LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Kind of weird that MFP is 'wrong' or even dangerous for 98% of users yet still manages this: "MyFitnessPal received an overall satisfaction score of 83 and top marks for maintenance, calorie awareness, and food variety."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/consumer-reports-rates-diet-plans-myfitnesspal-a-free-app-and-website-more-satisfying-than-weight-watchers-185440082.html

And that's because people have tweaked the numbers to make it work. Tell me why 1200 is good for a 28yr old woman who is 180 lbs and 5'8 and ALSO good for a 5'1, 60 yr old, 130 lb woman?? One size fits all? Why so many posts saying "Omg, I'm eating 1200 calories and not losing, please help"?

Sorry but your argument fails because you don't know exactly what each person is doing or how they are using the site. A lot of people use the TDEE -20% method.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    That was my point so how are you contradicting me? Basically what I am trying to say is that most people should not be eating so little, especially people around my height and weight.

You're forgetting that age has a lot to do with it too. There are millions of 40 ish that are obese today because they still eat like they're 18. The older you get the less you need.
  • LSinVA
    Options
    I'm not a heavy eater and 1.2k calories is actually a good amount for me.

If you aren't a "heavy" eater, then why do you need to lose weight? Come on.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,052 Member
    Options
    Kind of weird that MFP is 'wrong' or even dangerous for 98% of users yet still manages this: "MyFitnessPal received an overall satisfaction score of 83 and top marks for maintenance, calorie awareness, and food variety."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/consumer-reports-rates-diet-plans-myfitnesspal-a-free-app-and-website-more-satisfying-than-weight-watchers-185440082.html

And that's because people have tweaked the numbers to make it work. Tell me why 1200 is good for a 28 yr old woman who is 180 and 5'8 and ALSO good for a 5'1, 60 yr old 130 lbs woman?? One size fits all? Sorry but your argument fails because you don't know exactly what each person is doing or how they are using the site. A lot of people use the TDEE -20% method.

Not getting your point? MFP doesn't say 1200 is right for both those people at all.
    If they both put their stats into the calculator with the correct lose rate for the amount they have to lose,they would get given different calorie limits - as they would if they did TDEE method via another calculator.

If people are using the calculator incorrectly or calculating via other methods, how is this a failing of MFP and how does it alter fact MFP does not recommend below 1200 for anybody ( but recommends higher for many )?
  • LSinVA
    Options

And that's because people have tweaked the numbers to make it work. Tell me why 1200 is good for a 28 yr old woman who is 180 and 5'8 and ALSO good for a 5'1, 60 yr old 130 lbs woman?? One size fits all? Sorry but your argument fails because you don't know exactly what each person is doing or how they are using the site. A lot of people use the TDEE -20% method.

Not getting your point? MFP doesn't say 1200 is right for both those people at all.
    If they both put their stats into the calculator with the correct lose rate for the amount they have to lose,they would get given different calorie limits - as they would if they did TDEE method via another calculator.

If people are using the calculator incorrectly or calculating via other methods, how is this a failing of MFP and how does it alter fact MFP does not recommend below 1200 for anybody ( but recommends higher for many )?

That isn't true. If you select to lose 2 or more pounds per week, MFP almost invariably gives you 1200 calories (as long as you aren't severely obese). Most people, regardless of how much they want to lose, will put 2 lbs as a default.

EDIT - Also most people do not know what they should be eating (that's why we're all here to begin with). If the site recommends going with the "guided" option, people will chose that and 1200 is the minimum for the site. It's not perfect. I'm not saying it's not effective for some people but I don't think it should be a catch-all for everyone.
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was around 20 lbs into obesity. Went on 800-1200 cals a day - vegan cals at that, and was eating on something most of the day. And I was exercising often twice a day, every day. My energy's up, lost 25 lbs, and I'm eating 1400, 1500 cals a day, still doing cardio 1-2 times a day, 7 days a week, and strength 5 days a week. And I'm not eating back cals gained by cardio.

I have at least another 15 to lose, hoping for at least 25. But I am eating all the time, even if it's just 1500 cals a day.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with this post.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,052 Member
    Options

That isn't true. If you select to lose 2 or more pounds per week, MFP almost invariably gives you 1200 calories. Most people, regardless of how much they want to lose, will put 2 lbs as a default.

Yes but as I said that is user error, not fault of the program.
    I said their stats "with the correct loss rate for the amount you have to lose"

BTW, I never put 2lb as my loss rate - I had it on 1/2 lb from the beginning.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Sorry but your argument fails because you don't know exactly what each person is doing or how they are using the site. A lot of people use the TDEE -20% method.
    I suspect the Consumer Reports survey respondents were referring to the MFP plan, not some forum variation or scooby or IIFYM plan.

I think the vast majority of MFP users never bother with the forums at all. Which is smart, given the high level of bad information here. It gets better all the time but it's still a hotbed of myth and fear and nonsense.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Newsflash: people are different sizes and have different goals. I have been on 1200 for a few months now. It's fine.
  • matt0401
    Options
    My app tells me to consume 1260 per day for my target. I'm a 24 year old, 6 foot tall male. And I think that's quite reasonable. If I'm not being a complete fatass and getting takeout, 1200ish actually feels quite natural and filling to me! If I make healthy choices in those 1200 calories, my body seems to be quite satisfied, must be all the vitamins and minerals. I'm over halfway done my 50lb+ weight loss goal, and feel the healthiest I ever have!
  • LSinVA
    Options

That isn't true. If you select to lose 2 or more pounds per week, MFP almost invariably gives you 1200 calories. Most people, regardless of how much they want to lose, will put 2 lbs as a default.

Yes but as I said that is user error, not fault of the program.
    I said their stats "with the correct loss rate for the amount you have to lose"

BTW, I never put 2lb as my loss rate - I had it on 1/2 lb from the beginning.

You did it correctly then. A lot of people do not. It's not really user error if someone doesn't know any better.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I disagree. I was just in another post commenting on how people overeact to that number. I ate 1200-1400 for a while and it gave me good results, I lost fat and got lean, I had visible muscle. If I eat 1400-1600 I maintain and I'm 5'7". I never did cardio, only weightlifting and I had enough energy to progress pretty well.

I'm trying to build muscle and eating around 1800 is difficult for me. I feel full - not an excuse simply a fact - and end up reaching for sweets because does contain empty calories and are not as filling as veggies or protein. I posted below what a 1200 day looked like for me and it was pretty fullfilling with good choices.

I agree that there are a lot of people who post that should not be eating so low but for some of us is what works. When I was cutting I tried to go to 1400 and I stopped losing, maintained for four weeks. 1200 with cheat days once or twice a week worked very well for me. Cutting is not forever, so if you are trying to lose weight you won't do it for life, that's what cutting is. Once you reach your goal then you increase. You can't tell someone you can't go that low based on your personal experience because your body is different.

Breakfast
    Sarah Lee Bread - 45 Calories Wheat, 2 slices
    Breakstone - 2% Milkfat Cottage Cheese, 56.5 g,, 4 oz., 1/2 cup
    Jif - Whipped Peanut Butter, 1.5 table spoons

Snack- 12PM
    Beets - Cooked, boiled, drained, 1 cup slices
    Asparagus - Cooked, boiled, drained, 1 cup
    Wholey Guacamole - Guacamole, 4 TBSP (30g)

Lunch- 3PM
    Chicken Breast - Chicken Breast, Skinless, 3.5 oz
    Bella Fina - Baby Yellow Bell Peppers, Deliciously Sweet, 1 ounce (28 g)
    Zucchini - Cooked Zucchini, 100 gr
    Onion - Sauteed Chopped Onion, Yellow, 1 teaspoon
    Carrots, Baby Raw Mine - Raw Baby Carrots, 1 cup

Dinner – 6 PM
    Vegetables - Brussels Sprouts, 1 cup
    Baked Sweet Potato - Baked Sweet Potato, Medium, 0.5 (2" long by 5" long) 130g
    Salmon - Baked or Grilled Salmon, 2 oz

Nightime snack - 9PM
    Jif - Whipped Peanut Butter, 1.5 table spoons
    Dole - Bananas, 0.5 banana
    Deutsche Kuche (Aldi) - Pumpernickel Bread, 1 slice
    Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey (Chocolate), 1 scoop
  • LSinVA
    Options
    I suspect the Consumer Reports survey respondents were referring to the MFP plan, not some forum variation or scooby or IIFYM plan.

I think the vast majority of MFP users never bother with the forums at all. Which is smart, given the high level of bad information here. It gets better all the time but it's still a hotbed of myth and fear and nonsense.

I think you're making some assumptions to fit your argument. Okay.

I do agree there is a lot of nonsense here. People are different and that's fine. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. I don't think it hurts to say that 1200 a day is probably not enough for most people. If someone is searching for reasons why they aren't losing on that amount (barring logging inaccuracies), perhaps eating more is an option. Hey, if it doesn't work, you can always go back to 1200.

I think a lot of times the 1200 calorie "diet" is really more a result of wanting to see losses quickly as opposed to what is recommended for someone's individual height and weight. That's why so many people are defensive in these discussions. I don't really claim to know all or be an expert but I've struggled with eating my whole life.

I felt that in order to lose weight I had to really restrict my intake and that eventually developed in to an eating disorder when I was younger. If someone stops losing at 1200 it could make them feel the same way but perhaps they should be eating more instead. I'd hate to see someone else head down a bad path.

We love those initial drops but many people stall out for awhile. Perhaps it could be avoided if people started with a smaller deficit and gradually reduced their calories every 5lbs or so. Lose it slower but more healthfully?

I do not like the fact that it's going to take me a year to get the rest of the weight off... I want it off yesterday. :) However, it's far better than the alternative of stalling out and getting discouraged and staying fat, imo.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    In for the drama.

1200 isn't enough for me, but I am 100+ lbs overweight and am 5'9" tall. Does that mean NO ONE fits the criteria for a 1200 diet as a deficit? Heck no, and I wouldn't presume anything about anyone else without knowing them very very well. But that's just me. :)
This discussion has been closed.