1200 cal is NOT enough

Options

Replies

• Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    All I know is, 1200 calories is NOT enough for me to be happy. It is enough for me to lose weight, it is enough for me to have energy, but after months of 1200 calories I get tired, grumpy, and absolutely miserable. THEN....I gain back all the weight. I don't want to have to diet. I want to finally teach myself how to live and eat in a healthy way. I will lose weight at 1700 calories a day, and I will be a MUCH happier person doing it. When I start lifting, I will eat even more....and I will be even happier doing it, lol.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    This argument comes up every single day... In the end, people will always do what they want to do. Instead of telling people what to do, I encourage actively learning from your mistakes! If it's working, great! If not and you fall off the wagon or if you're still not happy, re-assess your methods/goals, research why you failed in the first place, change your methods/goals, and then try again!
  • KHolladay36
    Options
    Veg56K,

The calorie intake is just a guideline. If you need to eat more than 1200 calories do it! This is your body's natural response. If you are hungry, you need to eat. But what are you eating that causes 1200 calories at lunch. Have you ever heard of negative calories and wondered what that meant?
    Negative calories result when the items that you eat take more energy to digest than the caloric intake they produced. For example, lettuce. About a 1 cup serving of lettuce is (estimate) 6 calories. It burns more calories to digest than 6.

You can increase your caloric intake but make sure it is supplemented with activity. Learn what a normal day is for you. Track the calories. Then make small changes. Read food labels. If you need 1500 calories, then eat that amount, but make sure, in order to loose weight, that you increase your activity level. Go swimming, rollerblading, hiking, to the gym. Walk after dinner. What else....Do activities that are fun and get you active. These activities acheive burning more calories, which in turn allows you to eat more calories.
    If there is one thing I hate is feeling hungry. Drinking water can suppress hunger. I hate water, but a small changes is to add lemon juice to it (another negative calorie option, I think), or adding a flavoring that is low calories. Or instead of using dressing on your salads, try salsa! Its great! Although I love Ranch. The way I see it...if you are eating a salad, that is good enough, make it at least enjoyable. Throw vegges on it, eggs, or whatever else you like, but make sure to watch how many things you add and what their caloric intake adds up to. Adding too many extras could be a problem.
    Try this: For breakfast, eat 1 cup oatmeal (provides long lasting fullness), cut up some apple cubes and a little bit of sugar or brown sugar. Excellent breatkfast and will keep you from feeling hungry.
  • shall724
    shall724 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Exactly the reason I keep my diary closed. Nobody's business what I eat.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    This argument comes up every single day... In the end, people will always do what they want to do. Instead of telling people what to do, I encourage actively learning from your mistakes! If it's working, great! If not and you fall off the wagon or if you're still not happy, re-assess your methods/goals, research why you failed in the first place, change your methods/goals, and then try again!

agree with you all the way. when I first started this journey, I kinda knew a thing or 2 but nothing for sure. I used to like to debate with people and offer "advice" even I myself didn't know how it works...I stopped doing that long time ago. it's your own decision. science is often based on assumption and it should not be followed like religion.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I do agree it's absurd. It's possible to get in enough protein with that many calories. But fat and other stuff? It can be pulled off, but you really have to know what you're doing and have good discipline. Most people on here don't know what they're doing.
    Most people don't adhere to minimums for 'fat and other stuff'. And even if they did and ate a whopping 700 calories of protein a day, that leaves an also-whopping 500 calories for 'fat and other stuff'.

For someone who joined 2 weeks ago, you have lost a lot of weight and seem to have the whole population pretty much figured out, and have decided you know more. :huh:
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Eating less than that is required by the body to stay healthy is not going to help you lose weight .Infact it is going to create health problems for you as your body will not be getting the desired the nourishment that it needs.It is necessary to exercise to keep your muscles toned but then to remain healthy you will have to up your calorie intake,so think about it and then take the necessary decisions.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

My sentiments exactly :drinker:
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I do agree it's absurd. It's possible to get in enough protein with that many calories. But fat and other stuff? It can be pulled off, but you really have to know what you're doing and have good discipline. Most people on here don't know what they're doing.
    Most people don't adhere to minimums for 'fat and other stuff'. And even if they did and ate a whopping 700 calories of protein a day, that leaves an also-whopping 500 calories for 'fat and other stuff'.

For someone who joined 2 weeks ago, you have lost a lot of weight and seem to have the whole population pretty much figured out, and have decided you know more. :huh:
    Any chance you get to promote or support someone eating low calories you take. Like that adult male 6' tall, a young male. And your defense is well people don't adhere to minimums on fat intake. That's just ridiculous.

You put no thought into what he might need as far as protein and fat go but automatically say it's fine. Just makes no sense. Especially when you personally have no idea what a 24 year old male needs. You're just spewing randomness.
    I don't promote low calories. I promote the stopping of spreading misinformation like "you can't hit your macros at 1200". You'd have to have some pretty odd macro goals to not be able to hit them in under 1200.

Most fat intake recommendations are expressed as percent of calories, so 1200 doesn't preclude any recommended level. The one organization I know that does set a daily minimum independent of calories is Weight Watchers, which requires 2t. (around 80 calories) per day of healthy oils.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Please do share your sources of minimum fat intake levels while dieting and while overweight. I'm happy to learn.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Because one diet is temporary while the other is long term? Maybe it doesn't matter. I kind of wonder why a 24-year old male would need more fat than a female or older male, too, though.

I've been looking around for fat intake minimums and am not finding anything that isn't based on percent of total intake. Nearly everything is worded as a maximum, also.

I'm not anti-fat. I just think most of us, especially the overweight, tend to naturally get enough and that 1200 doesn't make it hard to. When you eat low cal for a while I think most people learn to pick foods with higher satiety which generally means each meal will include protein, fat and low cal carbs like vegetables.
  • billmartin1612147
    billmartin1612147 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a man weighing 162 lbs at 5'10" - and small boned. I was at 172 a few months ago before I became immersed in myfitnesspal. My goal was to get down to 164. I must be using this application wrong because it says for me to do a net 1530 calorie per day diet to get down to 164. I admit I have not "checked in" with weight. So maybe I should do that and it will raise my daily net calorie requirement. Also on alternate days I burn 660 calories and around 1000 calories, so about 5900 calories per week.

I do mostly cardio workouts (brisk swimming and cardio machines) but do about 20 minutes of weight lifting 3 days a week.

I do see from experience that even for me a net of 1530 calories is too little. I probably should have a net of 1900 calories. And lately I have been eating more to make that number red colored at the end of the day. I feel better about it.

My need is to keep sodium down below 1700 on the average since I'm trying to get off of BP medicine. And I also got rid of added sugar in my diet and eat mostly whole foods, and mostly plant-based.

But for a man even my size, 1500 net is too low.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child. 1200 calories was my lunch yesterday, not a days worth of intake! I don't want to hear any excuses like "I'm never hungry" or that you cant find any high calorie foods that are healthy.

My diet is heavily plant based. Even if my foods are not high calorie, I eat frequently and that adds up!

Furthermore, if you can't meet a simple calorie goal you shouldn't even be exercising and causing further damage to you body.
    1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really) if you want to know how much you should really be eating calculate your BMR and then add calories based on your activity level OR calculate your TDEE which I highly recommend.

It seems most of you want quick and instant results but under eating isnt the way to do it. Permanent and HEALTHY results that you can sustain are going to take time, effort, and certainly a hell of a lot more food.

There is no question that one can lose weight at the 1200 calorie level. Similarly, some people will gain weight at that level. Another fact is that hundreds of thousands of people have had safe, rapid weight loss at well under 1200 calories per day.

When I was losing weight, I ate 800 to 1k cals/day net for 7 months and lost 95 pounds. I'm glad that I took that approach and I recommend that approach to some folks who have asked me about it. My diet was not based on a whim or on "bad science". Quite the opposite.

I chose to lose weight on a low calorie diet that was very similar to that offered by a weight loss clinic in Southern California that has been in business for over 40 years and has 42 clinics in the SoCal area. It's a medically-based plan (people who enroll in the plan are examined by a PA) and people who have significant medical issues are not allowed to participate. People who follow the plan will, on average, lose 10% of their body mass over the course of a 10 week period. Lindora has data going back to 1972 to verify this.

In sum, history and medical science tell us that a low calorie diet is a safe way lose weight and keep it off. You may not agree with that, you may not like it, and you may not understand it but that doesn't change reality.
This discussion has been closed.