Skinny Bi**h Book

Options
Hi Everyone!

I read the Book Skinny ***** by two models Rory and Kim.
Has anyone else read this book?
I am curious to get everyones opinon on the information in the book!
They explain in graphic detail how badly mistreated animals are and that to loose weight means you need to be healthy. Healthy= Skinny. They say to go vegetarian and always start your day off with fruits.
I like the book but should i really stop eating meat & dairy?
Opinions?

Thank You!!! : )

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ucalegon
    ucalegon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    No.

Exactly. If you're really worried about how animals are treated, then fine! No one has a problem with you doing vegetarian. But research it yourself in actual accounts of the industry that aren't trying to make money. But ethics has nothing to do with being healthy, and barring a medical condition, meat and dairy are beneficial to your health. They're easy sources of protein and calcium, which you need.
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Being healthy is about moderation. You do not need to cut out mean and dairy to lose weight and be healthy.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    No.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I have to ask...do you find yourself obsessing over being skinny?
  • ShannonS921
    Options
    No.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Mostly propaganda written by not healthcare professionals with a clear agenda. Gimmicky name, unprofessional voice throughout, emotional roller coaster, opinions on opinions on opinions with no reliable (keyword) sources on health. Not that it doesn't raise valid points about animal rights issues, but it's got little to do with "skinny" or "health" and mostly just *****ing.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Healthy and skinny aren't synonyms btw. They have little to do with each other and the book promotes inaccurate assumptions on health by religiously following old myths, completely ignoring that correlation is not causation. We've learned a lot more about human bodies since the 80's, especially regarding weight and health.

ETA: Some of us can't start our day off with fruits because we were born with diabetes. Again, why you shouldn't be taking advice from a self-proclaimed healthist quack who isn't even a doctor.
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an allergy or intolerance, meat and dairy can be part of a healthy, balanced diet. Much of the time those stories about the horrors of abused farm animals are exaggerated or completely false. If you are conflicted about this (as in you feel for it but aren't ready to give up meat and dairy), you could try to research local farming operations and ask about having a tour or "open farm day" where they are open to the public to see them for yourself. Buying and supporting local business is always a good option :)
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    nuhno.gif
  • jmariscal3
    jmariscal3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Read the book. Did not know it was written by former models, missed that on the back probably :) After reading it I can believe it was written by ex models as the whole "skinny is best" way of thinking is repeated throughout. They put down everyone and anyone based on what they choose to eat. No good arguments in the book, aside from the abuse to the animals. Perhaps they felt good publishing a book that allows them to curse at others and judge everyone? The book did not change my way of eating. If being "skinny" is the only motivation to work out I can't agree with it. It should be about a lifestyle change, not just fitting into what the most-accepted stereotype is. This is just my opinion of course :) I read it because a therapist friend said it was a great read and changed her life. I now question her as well, which cannot be a good thing LOL. It was a waste of money in my opinion and did not have any useful nutritional info or give strong enough facts to make me want to change my eating and turn my back on meat, dairy, and coffee.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Was it in the comedy section?
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    They explain in graphic detail how badly mistreated animals are

Not all producers treat their animals this way! Find smaller scale, local farmers by visiting the closest farmer's market and ask them questions about what they feed the animals (and why), whether they give tours of the farm, and so on. These people care about the product they sell and, as a consequence, the animals they raise.

Sometimes, in fact, they will talk your ear off for a good 15-20 minutes about various injustices in the system that we don't see, but they are struggling against themselves. One cattle producer I talked to refuses to expand his operation, despite the fact that he could financially, because regulations mean he'd have to use an abattoir whose practices he doesn't approve of. Another one used to sell his slaughtered hogs to industrial meat producers, but they refused to pay him a liveable wage for his product, so he just took it direct to the end purchasers. My egg lady struggles to meet customer demands in winter due to the inherently seasonal nature of her hens' laying.

Find producers who understand the importance of their vocation in our society, and who respect the animals and the land that they earn their living from. Will the increased cost of these products mean you cut back on consumption a bit? Probably. But you're paying the actual cost of what it takes to produce the food we eat, and that money is supporting your local community, building relationships and strengthening your knowledge (and therefore respect) of what's involved in keeping you alive and physically thriving every day.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I haven't read it, nor will I, but I can't help feeling that a random pair of ex-models aren't going to be the best source for health advice.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I closed the book at the chapter that began with "So, now you're a vegan." I was like...."no." Propaganda. That's all it is.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I checked some sample menus posted online. Looked good to me, except the fresh squeezed orange juice. I'd peel the oranges and stick them in the blender and drink them that way rather than toss the fiber out. Hm. I'll have to try that sometime.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and even to me this book sounds ridiculous.
  • natecompton
    Options
    Regarding "Skinny *****,"

Please watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6tTv_DEY7s