Parenting ADVICE NEEDED!

Options
Hope2BFit81
Hope2BFit81 Posts: 77 Member
Here's the situation:

I have a 8 year old daughter and we just moved in with my boyfriend, who has two kids ages 5 and 7. We moved in around the beginning of June, so it's been over 2 months. Before we moved here, she has stayed over plenty of times and things have been fine. We had to rearrange some things to make room, and it resulted in her having her own bedroom and the boys sharing. Her room is down the hall, the boys' room is across from our room.

Ever since we officially moved in and she has her own room, she has a fit of separation anxiety at night. I know it's my fault, because after I got divorced, my income was limited and the only thing I could afford was something with 1 bedroom. So for nearly 3 years we shared. And now I'm paying the price. We all are. She carries on for hours keeping everyone else awake.

She also thinks having medicine will help her sleep, so she makes up aches and pains and cries about that, but only at bedtime. The rest of the day she is totally fine. These things don't come up until it's time for bed. I'm at my wits end, I don't know what else to do. I've started taking things away from her, her privileges and things she likes to do. Any suggestions if you've been here or something I'm not thinking of.

Great first post! I didn't know where else to turn to! I've been a member before but recently rejoined. Please HELP!

Thanks!

Replies

• leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    We have always had some kind of sleeping issue with our kids. When my oldest was little he would wake up all the time nursing, then as a toddler night terrors (which really suck). Our youngest did great as a baby, but then as a 4 year old wakes up and comes into bed with us. So I sympathize. And don't feel bad like you screwed up sharing the bedroom, you do what you have to, she will grow out of it.

8 seems a little old, but you could try something we had to do with our 4 year old. One of us reads books with him then we will lay there with him until he falls asleep. Sometimes it's just for a little while and if it's taking too long, I'll pull the "I'll be right back I need to let the dog out" or "I have to go to the bathroom, I'll be right back" and when I come back he's already asleep. Of course this too will be a thing we'll have to ween him off of soon, but if she is keeping you guys up for hours, snuggling for 15-20 minutes or so seems like the lesser of two evils. When we have a babysitter he seems to just accept that we aren't there and goes to sleep on his own.

Also, the kids are all young enough that it shouldn't be an issue you could always try her sharing a room with one or both of the boys. Maybe not being alone will be enough to make her feel better.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I would feel a lot differently about this if she were four. She's 8. She needs to learn to deal with it. If it is truly separation anxiety and is this severe I would say counseling may help. Knowing my 7 and 8 year old kids though, it sounds like she is just seeking attention. You just have to be consistent. Bedtime is bedtime and she will adapt. If you can have pets maybe get her a cat or something to keep her company in her room, if not try a new stuffed animal. Also, if she doesn't already take one, now would be a good time to start a daily vitamin since she wants medicine to go to bed anyways.
  • Hope2BFit81
    Hope2BFit81 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know that she's too old to be acting like this. She doesn't do this at her dad's or at her grandpa and grandma's. I definitely think it's a mix of separation anxiety and need for attention. She does stay active all day and she should be exhausted at night. We have 8 acres, she swims all day, jumps on the trampoline, runs around like a kid, rides the 4-wheeler, etc. There's no reason she shouldn't be totally wiped out at the end of the day. I've thought about laying with her, but as you said, that's another thing we'll have to wean her off of. As for sleeping in the other kids' room, I see that as a reward for GOOD behavior. She will not get rewarded for bad behavior. It is a privilege. If she can do good, I will let her sleep in with them one night on the weekends. What we're doing right now is just closing our door and ignoring her. We are treating her like an infant or a new puppy.

I KNOW she's too old to be behaving like this, that's why I think she has total control over it. I know she could stop if she wanted to. She has a night light, which the younger kids don't even require. I know the room is foreign to her, but after 2 months, it really shouldn't be this extreme.

As for the vitamin at night, I do love the idea, but I don't want to make her think that getting medicine at bed time is ok. It will have the placebo effect on her, but I don't want to get her into the habit of that. And also, she will still be her getting her way. She is not the one who should be making the rules of bedtime.

I feel bad ignoring her, but I feel like that's the only option left. Ignore her and take away her privileges as long as it continues.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion.

She's already seen separation and what it does to people. Her view could be that her "separation" from you now is permanent and not temporary like when she stays over with other relatives (sounds like grandpa and grandma are separated too?). Probably needs reassuring that you're not leaving her on her own.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You just moved in with your boyfriend, which is a big change. You put her in her own room, away from you. She's now the only person in the family who has to sleep alone. And when she's upset about that, you shut the door and ignore her.

I understand your reasoning in doing that, but think about things from her perspective. She feels replaced and shunned in favor of your boyfriend. I think you might want to consider doing more things all together, as a family, to show that she's not being kicked out on her own. Maybe leave everyone's bedroom doors open for a while, so it doesn't feel like she's closed off from everyone. And if it continues, counseling might be a good option.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    While she is 8 she is still a child and these kind of family changes can be hard. But she's 8. She should understand logic. Sit her down and talk about it. Brainstorm ideas that will make her feel more comfortable in her room (a lamp, a new blanket, some music that plays softly, etc). Get her to come up with some ideas and promise you that if you let her have it she'll agree to stay in her bed and quiet after bedtime. Then if she's up remind her about the agreement, give her a few warnings and reminders that she agreed to whatever it is and hopefully it'll stick. If not after maybe 3 warnings you take the agreed upon thing away for a while and then try again.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion.

She's already seen separation and what it does to people. Her view could be that her "separation" from you now is permanent and not temporary like when she stays over with other relatives (sounds like grandpa and grandma are separated too?). Probably needs reassuring that you're not leaving her on her own.

IDEA Fitness member

this ^ plus, you get to sleep with someone, the boys get to sleep with someone and she is all alone in her room. I'm sure she feels left out. I don't think she's "too old" to be going through this, she has had you to herself, sleeping in the same bed as you and now you are gone. I agree she needs reassurance that you are not leaving her. Lots of changes, new home, new "brothers" new "father" in the house. That is a lot for a child. Get a new nighttime routine with her, bath, hair brushing, reading, lay with her for a few minutes and then to sleep. Just like a smaller child, try to keep bedtime peaceful for her. Perhaps let her pick out a new doll or stuffed animal that can be her bed partner so she has someone special in her room too. Good luck.
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would say just keep at keep consistent. I know its hard mama. my daughter went threw the same thing when she finally got her own room!! it took awhile but I just kept at it and she finally fell asleep.
    if u r givin her meds, what kind r u giving her? my DOCTOR recommended giving my kids melatonin. if u r gonna give her some meds at nite y not something that naturally works with her body to help her fall asleep. I give it to my children sometimes. they have chewable and capsules.
    I also used a behavior chart. if u want more info on this message me and ill tell u exactly what I did. It has turned my children's behaviors around TRAMIDESLY!!!
    best of luck mama, I know its hard but stick with it. it'll get better
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'd let her sleep on the floor for a while. She's just gone through some HUGE changes - she's probably feeling insecure. Slowly encourage her back to her own room and treat her with things when she succeeds (a new book, or a special date night with you).

I'd talk to her ped about it, maybe see if you can use something like Hylands Calms Forte for kids (a bit of melatonin to help start the sleep cycle).

I would NOT be angry or forceful with her. Yeah she's "old enough" to sleep alone, but age doesn't really matter when we're dealing with serious changes and emotions.

Good luck.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    ... age doesn't really matter when we're dealing with serious changes and emotions.

THIS.

Grown adults have major reactions to big life changes. She's not being "bad," she's expressing a feeling that she might not know how to put into words.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you have any sort of bedtime routine with her where the two of you spend some time together reading, etc. That might help with her feelings of displacement/competition with all the new family members and changes in routine.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    While she is 8 she is still a child and these kind of family changes can be hard. But she's 8. She should understand logic. Sit her down and talk about it. Brainstorm ideas that will make her feel more comfortable in her room (a lamp, a new blanket, some music that plays softly, etc). Get her to come up with some ideas and promise you that if you let her have it she'll agree to stay in her bed and quiet after bedtime. Then if she's up remind her about the agreement, give her a few warnings and reminders that she agreed to whatever it is and hopefully it'll stick. If not after maybe 3 warnings you take the agreed upon thing away for a while and then try again.

This is terrific advice in my opinion.

Don't punish her for what is to be expected. Help her work through it, ideally as a family unit if possible.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's more than just sleeping in a separate room. These are major life changes. She's only 8. I highly recommend family counseling to help her adjust.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion.

IDEA Fitness member

this ^ plus, you get to sleep with someone, the boys get to sleep with someone and she is all alone in her room. I'm sure she feels left out. I don't think she's "too old" to be going through this, she has had you to herself, sleeping in the same bed as you and now you are gone. I agree she needs reassurance that you are not leaving her. Lots of changes, new home, new "brothers" new "father" in the house. That is a lot for a child. Get a new nighttime routine with her, bath, hair brushing, reading, lay with her for a few minutes and then to sleep. Just like a smaller child, try to keep bedtime peaceful for her. Perhaps let her pick out a new doll or stuffed animal that can be her bed partner so she has someone special in her room too. Good luck.

I agree with both posts. I went through this exact thing with my daughter. My husband was understanding about it. I ended up in a sleeping bag on her floor until he came woke me up at some time in the night. I only had to do that for a few weeks until she got used to her room. Keeping the doors open is a great idea, and allow her to climb into your side of the bed if she wakes up at night and needs to. My daughter is now 10, and still comes and crawls into bed with me if she has a nightmare. My own parents did that for me as I was an anxious kid. Of course there will be times when your door is appropriately locked.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I think you need to stop treating this as a "behavior" problem. She is still very much a child, and up until recently she slept with you. Now she's all alone, and it sounds like she's scared. Shutting the door on her and punishing her like she's misbehaving is probably only making the problem worse.
    I second that you should lay with her for awhile until she adjusts. Cuddle. Read books. Enjoy the time with her (just the two of you). You can slowly wean yourself off of that once she has settled in.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    What we're doing right now is just closing our door and ignoring her. We are treating her like an infant or a new puppy.

I feel bad ignoring her, but I feel like that's the only option left. Ignore her and take away her privileges as long as it continues.

I just re-read this, honestly these two sentences make me so sad. My daughter at about the same age went through something awful, we were at an airshow and there was an accident, a boy her age near her was killed. She wasn't with me I was working and she was with my friend. For weeks she would not let me out of her sight, she was scared that something would happen to me. I tried to ignore her, to tell her she couldn't sleep me with, I couldn't even go into the bathroom without her. If I went in the garage and didn't tell her I could hear her screaming in the house in panic because she couldn't find me. Finally we went to a therapist who made it perfectly clear to me it was MY JOB to make her feel safe, it was MY JOB to make her little life normal again, not hers. So for a few months, she slept with me when she wanted and talked to me while I was in the bathroom LOL she was attached at the hip was it a pain in my butt, you know it was but it was what she needed from me. In time she was back to herself. Try to keep that in mind when you are taking privileges away, at 8 she is still a little girl.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    She has just had a giant change. I am honestly having a difficult time not judging you. That is an 8 year old child. You just close the door and ignore her, and take things away? It sounds like your family need counseling, maybe to work through what an appropriate reaction is to things. It sounds like your daughter is crying out for help, and you are ignoring it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe you're taking privileges away for this! Seriously, family therapy -- you, your daughter, your boyfriend and his kids. You need professional guidance. You're not handling it even close to correctly. She's 8. You got divorced and now you've moved her in with a stranger (and, yes, he's a stranger).

Everything about her life -- access to you, routine, sleeping arrangements, EVERYTHING has changed.
  • carpetbagger12000
    carpetbagger12000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Get her a pet. A puppy. A kitten. Something that she is responsible for (although ultimately you will end up looking after it) and who will lavish unconditional affection on her. Also, a cup of chamomile tea before bed might calm her enough to get to sleep.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Lots of really great advice!

Beyond sleeping in the same room with her, was there something special the 2 of you used to do together at bedtime? I know with my 2 older children we had a bedtime routine that worked until my daughter turned 13, and my son turned 12.

With my daughter we would go into her room together, talk about the things that happened during the day (even things that may have been discussed earlier in the evening), things that were planned for the next day, read together, watch a show together. After 15 minutes I would tell her to roll over and she would go right to sleep.

With my son, we read together, talked about the things planned for the week, then I would tell him to roll over and he would go to sleep after a little bit more time.

There may be something like that to help her feel special and like it's still the 2 of you.... Remember she has been through a tremendous amount of change... for an adult 2 months is more than enough time to adjust, for a child (no matter the age) it often times takes a considerably longer amount of time! She may very well be feeling like an outsider (like a couple other people have mentioned), remember this isn't really her house yet. The 2 of you moved into another families space, and they already have routines and comfort established.

If you cannot find something together that helps her, it may very well be a sign that she needs someone outside of the family to talk to. And remember, patience really is key when dealing with children. I know there are times it is a HUGE struggle, but they respond much better to patience than to frustration, anger, and being ignored.

Best of luck to you!