Boyfriends buying junk food...

Options

Replies

• Laurenphipps85
    Laurenphipps85 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just got to be strong and avoid it, my boyfriend is 6"6 and eats whatever the hell he likes and doesn't gain a pound, I often tell him to buy krispy kreme or sweets and just watch him like a slobbering dog..... then have a bowl of porridge with boiling water or I'll have a protein shake which I use as a dessert, PHD vanilla diet whey is soooo yummy!! :-D

Don't want him to change for me, it's just will power xxx
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    If you live with him, move out.

If you don't live together, spend less time with him.

Eventually, you two should just break up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Keep your food stash separate- that's the easiest most realistic way- keep it in a place where you don't regularly go in the pantry- put it up high- or down low where it is out of eye site.

that will go a long way to helping.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a boyfriend who loves to buy junk food?

Well, I do. And it's bloody difficult.
    I'm trying to cut that kind of stuff out of my diet, so I can finally start to lose weight again'. But he seems to buy a load of junk food when he's at home on the weekends.

I know I should be able to control myself but I'm human and fat, so I can't.

I've tried to get him to stop but he seems to be addicted to sugar or something, so he isn't going to stop buying this stuff.

How do I resist the urge. What am I supposed to say to myself? What am I supposed to do?

JSF. You either want it or you don't.....And I mean really want it....not just say you want it. When you really want it you will be able to resist the junk food.....or eat it in moderation.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Self control. :wink:
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This is your journey, not his.
    Be proud of yourself for staying away from his junk.
    I buy junk food for my husband, I do not touch it, it is his!
    ( It works for me)
  • hutsonerik
    Options
    dont eat it
    or...
    Allow yourself to work it into your day...in my opinion giving yourself permission to have a serving of something takes away that obsessive thinking about it as if you will never have it again.

Weigh a serving on your food scale and log it...enjoy and move on.
    This, if you can fit it into your daily allowance it will have no impact on your overall diet.

Relationship wise, if its bothering you that much then you need to talk with him. As you lose more and more weight you will most likely see him in a different light and end up breaking up with him if he doesn't jump on board. Might as well get it over with now.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Dump him. You're not compatible. Find someone who is more interested in a healthy lifestyle. It's a lot easier when (as a couple) you can work together as a cohesive unit to achieve a common goal. My fiancé and I were both very overweight when we started dating. He is stronger at maintaining healthy eating habits and I am more motivated to work out (harder and more often). We are able to use our own individual strengths to balance out each others' weaknesses. I know I absolutely CANNOT have junk food in our house; I WILL eat it. I don't have the discipline to just walk away...my inner fat kid will take over every single time without fail.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have a wife that likes to buy junk food and bake a lot of sweets. I get onto her about it but it's honestly not even worth the fight. When she complains that she wants to lose weight I use the opportunity to tell her that she needs to quit eating like **** if she wants results. She's not fat at all but she has been in better shape in the past.

I am pretty good about staying away from it unless I've planned a cheat because I gain weight sooooooooo much faster than anyone that I've ever met. Eating a couple bad meals has disastrous results for me so it makes it easier to stay away.
  • kirstiejm
    kirstiejm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep mine is a sugar addict!! Come Friday night our cupboards are full of chocolate, cake, icecream, crisps etc! He is such a feeder too and keeps telling me I deserve a day off :(

He is really supportive but in his opinion I don't need to lose weight so tries to feed me up!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    self control, I have none when there is a lot of temptation around. I would ask him to put his stuff in another place where it is not right in front of my face. If you can compromise it will work. My husband use to order pizza when I first started losing weight. He would go back in the computer room or downstairs to eat it. He was very supportive. But like the others have said, he should be able to eat what he wants. I have my snacks in a different place and it works for us.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Keep his snacks somewhere in a cabinet in the kitchen that you don't use all the time (like on top of the fridge in a cabinet, or somewhere down below). Make sure he knows where they are, but by not having them out right in front of you all the time when you're in the kitchen, you may be less tempted to grab a handful of something when you're in there. I know I do that... if we get chocolate or chips or something, I keep it in a cabinet, and when it's not out in plain sight, I don't eat it unless I actually have the calories for a snack and make a conscious decision as to what I want to eat, and how much of it I'm going to weigh out and eat.
  • basicbaby
    Options
    Um, YES!
    First two weeks of getting back on the portion control and watching what we eat I would come to break at catch him with a soda and donuts/cake or something. Im like WTH??? YOu want to do this 'together' without the 'together' part. I am so confused. You want to portion my food on my plate and watch what I eat, but not do the same??? He is a large man, so he does require an extra snack(I buy him bars/healthier crackers/healthier chips or something to help with the extra calories) He also eats more than me, thats okay. But dont eat donuts and drink soda in front of me. Thats like lighting up a cigarette infront of someone who decided to stop smoking yesterday.

As far assnacks at home, I keep cheeses, crackers and little things in the house for us, and I love to snack while we are cooking (Half the reason is because my toddler cant wait for supper because daycare stops feeding thing to early) and I am like honey, want some cheese? Want some crackers to hold you over? Of course he isnt, because he is to busy drinking soda and eating powered donuts on his last break. I offered to buy him a huge container of nuts and I always get a no. *le sigh*
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    you can totally stop - if you want to!
    tell yourself whatever you need to but just stay away from it...
    I like to tell myself - that's going to make me sick, die of cancer, diabetes or some other fun disease.
    Honestly it's easy because most things with Carbs give me major tummy issues - you can tell yourself that.
    Willpower is a muscle that needs to be exercised/flexed.
    You CAN do anything you set your mind to!!!
    If you say "I can't" you'll be right.
    If you say "I can" - you'll also be right.
    You can't force him to change his habits but maybe after seeing your successful weight loss and lifestyle change he might want to give it a try too... You can't make him though - he's got to come around to it himself.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I buy junk food for my boyfriend who can eat anything and everything he wants. Its my responsibility to say no to it not his reasonability to not have it in the house. Sometimes I have some, sometimes I don't BUT its always my decision and my accountability.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, he buys a lot of it. And fast food.

I told him to, though. My diet shouldn't change his eating. He likes to eat that crap and doesn't care about his health. No reason he should give it up because I no longer swallow it.

I don't eat it because I don't want to. It don't just want a thin body - I want a healthy one.

Asking other people to change because you can't isn't really fair, KWIM?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Learn some self control.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,426 Member
    Options
    [warning: I'm going to give a brutal opinion. Here be dragons]

Is it REALLY that hard to NOT eat something that doesn't fit whatever program you're on?

I always get a laugh out if threads like this. YOUR health is YOUR issue, not your partner's. If you don't want to eat the chips, cookies, whatever food is on your "do not devour" list, don't eat it. If you do, that's your problem. Trying to foist your own lack of control is what you eat onto your purported loved ones is simply avoidance of your own responsibility in your eating.

My wife forever buys things I used to eat regularly, two years on in my weight loss and fitness then acts surprised when I don't eat them - even after telling her repeatedly that I'm not going to as if it's some personal vendetta against her.

Grow up and take responsibility for your actions.

^^^^^This. My 6', 180 lb husband who runs 15 miles a week, can bring in whatever he wants. He's not seriously into junk, and even before I started my lifestyle change we didn't keep alot of it in the house. But, my oldest daughter likes to bake. Brownies, cookies, etc. I either don't eat it, or work it into my calories.

This is a YOU problem, not a boyfriend problem.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    your goal doesnt mean it is your SO's goal
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Self-control is a learned behavior. I would use this as a challenge to myself. Challenge yourself to making good decisions, challenge yourself to only having 1 piece of whatever, and when you meet your challenge, pay yourself. Put a dollar away when you say no to the cookie, give yourself a few bucks when you have a day of good decisions, and at the end of a 3 months, go buy yourself some new clothes for the rocking body you have.

Or like others have said, fit it in. You don't have to log the day of. You can log in advance, so you make sure that you can fit everything into a day.

When you mess up, don't let that be an excuse to go on a binge, but the next time, make a better decision. You will be much better off, if you can try to learn to control this behavior.

I understand, my family is not on any type of diet, and when I go to visit on the weekends, I either bring my own food and allow myself a small splurge, or I shave down calories consumed during the week to allot for the extra I'm going to eat at my grandparent's house.

This week, my food logging has to be perfect, because we're going to the state fair, and yes, I am going to indulge in every type of food possible. It's one day, so I'm not going to feel bad about going over my calories (it's also exercise because you're walking all day). I also plan on getting up early that morning to workout, so it won't be as bad as previous years.

If you are planning to make this long term, the sooner you try to reconcile that food is going to pop up in front of you that you are trying to avoid, the better prepared you will be to face them and say no. My office is forever having food, cookies, candy, donuts, cakes, you name it, it's here. And I found myself backsliding for about month (this is a new job, my old place wasn't bad like this), but I had to wake myself up and say "stop." I know it's easier said than done, but nothing worth having comes easy. And your health is definitely worth it.