What is the weirdest weight loss advice you've ever had?

I was just told by someone that I should be eating several tablespoons of coconut oil per day if I want to lose weight.

Apparently coconut oil has a thermogenic ? effect and will boost my metabolism significantly. When I asked if the added calories and fat should be counted I was told no because the calories where actually negative calories and could be deducted from my total eaten.

Now I know enough to get that this is probably BS but where does this stuff come from????

Also, just for interest sake, anyone else been given some weird advice?

Replies

• JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Not advice given to me, but I heard a woman telling her friend once that she doesn't eat any melons because they, especially watermelon, 'have the opposite effect on weight loss." Apparently melons are magic.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    The 5 bite diet.
    At your meal time you can have 5 bites of ANY one food you enjoy and you will lose weight.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    That if I rub grapefruit extract essential oils on my stomach, the fat will "literally melt off"/
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Eating all the gummie bears that I want, because they are fat free.
    No. Even. Kidding.

This lady also did the cabbage soup and grafefruit diets.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Previous co worker would tell her friend it was OK to borrow points from future days on Weight Watchers.
    One week they ran out of calories after I think 3 days of borrowing forward.

Same people who would wait until midnight to order from dominoes pizza and eat the whole thing because i twas a new day with a new allotment of 'points'
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Coconut. Yuck.

I was told to try the "not swallow" diet. Basically taking bites of anything I wanted, tasting it, then spitting it out.

You don't want to hear what I told her in response.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    No carbs after some arbitrary time, usually sometime in the evening
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    MIL's friend trying to sell me magical green coffee to lose weight.

:huh:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    No carbs after some arbitrary time, usually sometime in the evening
    Love mah carbs after dark!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Eating all the gummie bears that I want, because they are fat free.
    No. Even. Kidding.

This lady also did the cabbage soup and grafefruit diets.

Maybe it would work if they were also sugar free. :sick:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    I belonged to Weight Watchers in the early 1970s. We were required to eat liver once a week and tuna five times a week. A single serving of hot dogs was three of them. Of course, butter was replaced with stick margarine. Isn't it amazing how our knowledge about what's healthy improves with time if you keep track of the science?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    To eat everything with a fork, including french fries. Because apparently people get fat through their fingers.

I'm not even kidding, that was really the theory they were operating under, that fingers soak up the stuff that ultimately makes us fat.
  • Don't eat bread or potato's :noway:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I was just told by someone that I should be eating several tablespoons of coconut oil per day if I want to lose weight.

The coconut oil fad has just about run its course. Now if we could figure out what comes next, we could make some good coin off of it!
  • carostad
    carostad Posts: 161
    A waiter the other night told me to not drink water for one hour before or after any meal. He said something about concentrating the digestive enzymes so your body digests the food more effectively. And, this advice was from a nutritionist he "knew while living in LA, where you know, nutrition is EVERYTHING". And also? this was Angelina Jolie's nutritionist, so you know it's good information.

I smiled as I sipped my water with lemon.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    The 5 bite diet.
    At your meal time you can have 5 bites of ANY one food you enjoy and you will lose weight.

That's actually not that crazy - it's a no-math way of moving towards calorie counting and portion control.
  • I was told by my grandmother that I should replace every meal and snack with apples and all my drinks with a strange mix of red peppers maple syrup and water.... I mean yeah I would lose weight, but....
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    The 5 bite diet.

huge+spoon.jpg

I constantly get people telling me that once I lose a bit more weight, I won't be diabetic anymore. I wish, but I've been diabetic since I was 2 lol. There are different kinds.

Oh and my coworkers new diet...you aren't supposed to eat fat and carbs at the same time, otherwise you can't lose weight :/
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    A waiter the other night told me to not drink water for one hour before or after any meal. He said something about concentrating the digestive enzymes so your body digests the food more effectively. And, this advice was from a nutritionist he "knew while living in LA, where you know, nutrition is EVERYTHING". And also? this was Angelina Jolie's nutritionist, so you know it's good information.

I smiled as I sipped my water with lemon.

My coworker says the same thing! I always drink a water bottle during my meals so I don't overeat and that's what keeps me in line and she told me I might as well eat garbage because I'm drinking water at the same time and it will just flush everything right out of my system.