What is the weirdest weight loss advice you've ever had?

Replies

• marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    yeah grapefruit diet. the grapefruit will kickstart your metabolism man!

I attended two weeks of slimming world with friends and we were told that we could eat unlimited pasta and should eat grapefruit every day. Unsurprisingly, most of the group was gaining weight instead of losing, which they were told was because they were eating the wrong type of brown bread. :huh:
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    The 5 bite diet.
    At your meal time you can have 5 bites of ANY one food you enjoy and you will lose weight.

That's actually not that crazy - it's a no-math way of moving towards calorie counting and portion control.
    and eating hardly any calories per day......
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    To eat everything with a fork, including french fries. Because apparently people get fat through their fingers.

I'm not even kidding, that was really the theory they were operating under, that fingers soak up the stuff that ultimately makes us fat.

Lol I've heard that one before. I've met people who seriously thought that using coconut oil on my face contributed to me gaining weight.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    The 5 bite diet.
    At your meal time you can have 5 bites of ANY one food you enjoy and you will lose weight.

lolol. I can polish off quite a bit of mac n cheese in 5 bites.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    A waiter the other night told me to not drink water for one hour before or after any meal. He said something about concentrating the digestive enzymes so your body digests the food more effectively. And, this advice was from a nutritionist he "knew while living in LA, where you know, nutrition is EVERYTHING". And also? this was Angelina Jolie's nutritionist, so you know it's good information.

I smiled as I sipped my water with lemon.
    ...of course the waiter wants you to do that so you are hungrier an order more. Bigger order = bigger tip!
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    to only eat once every 18 hours, and that in the process your poop gets smaller because the body starts to re-absorb essential nutrients and vitamins from the poop. the longer you go, the smaller your poop will be until your body simply gets used to re-absorbing all the "lost" nutrients.

and overheard in the store one day... "eat bread that's been coated in olive oil. the oil will make everything just slide right through and you'll lose weight."
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Eating all the gummie bears that I want, because they are fat free.
    No. Even. Kidding.

This lady also did the cabbage soup and grafefruit diets.

Maybe it would work if they were also sugar free. :sick:

If you go by some of the reviews on sugar-free gummie bears, I'm pretty sure they're essentially laxatives.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    that lemon water boost metabolism

it's what you eat not how much

Quarter pounders will kill you

You can't drink and lose weight...wanna bet...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    The 5 bite diet.

That's actually not that crazy - it's a no-math way of moving towards calorie counting and portion control.
    and eating hardly any calories per day......

There is more than one "food you enjoy" at a meal. And five mouthfuls of Ben & Jerrys is, for a typical sized human, bigger than the suggested portion size.

Might want to rethink that....
  • lollipoprincess
    lollipoprincess Posts: 117 Member
    Peanut butter burns your fat very quickly.... Oh.....,..
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    The 5 bite diet.

So that's 5 regular cupcakes, then. Mmm 15 cupcakes a day! Somehow I think the concept of 'bite' might be subjective.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    The 5 bite diet.

huge+spoon.jpg

I constantly get people telling me that once I lose a bit more weight, I won't be diabetic anymore. I wish, but I've been diabetic since I was 2 lol. There are different kinds.

Oh and my coworkers new diet...you aren't supposed to eat fat and carbs at the same time, otherwise you can't lose weight :/

Yes, this is very common for me also. I have both type 1 and type 2. I'm making progress with the type 2, but as you know, I will never ever ever get rid of type 1. In fact, I had someone argue with me once that he started as a type 2 and became a type 1 (pretty common so far), and that he lost weight and still has type 1, but has been off insulin for 2 years. I responded by explaining why that could not possibly be true because he would be dead if he had type 1 and didn't take insulin for 2 years. After I explained the science to him and we argued for awhile, he just said "I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree." Ugh! This is why type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes should have totally f***ing different names.

End rant.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    To eat everything with a fork, including french fries. Because apparently people get fat through their fingers.

I'm not even kidding, that was really the theory they were operating under, that fingers soak up the stuff that ultimately makes us fat.

Lol I've heard that one before. I've met people who seriously thought that using coconut oil on my face contributed to me gaining weight.

See I like the chopstick version. Eat everything with chopsticks - the theory being that North Americans are so bad at using them that it takes you so long to eat that your body can properly determine when you are full. Which... actually sounds legit. It's a way to force yourself to eat slowly.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    The 5 bite diet.

huge+spoon.jpg

I constantly get people telling me that once I lose a bit more weight, I won't be diabetic anymore. I wish, but I've been diabetic since I was 2 lol. There are different kinds.

Oh and my coworkers new diet...you aren't supposed to eat fat and carbs at the same time, otherwise you can't lose weight :/

Yes, this is very common for me also. I have both type 1 and type 2. I'm making progress with the type 2, but as you know, I will never ever ever get rid of type 1. In fact, I had someone argue with me once that he started as a type 2 and became a type 1 (pretty common so far), and that he lost weight and still has type 1, but has been off insulin for 2 years. I responded by explaining why that could not possibly be true because he would be dead if he had type 1 and didn't take insulin for 2 years. After I explained the science to him and we argued for awhile, he just said "I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree." Ugh! This is why type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes should have totally f***ing different names.

End rant.
    I agree 100%

My sister is type 1, and she has had the gambit of idiots talking to her about "getting her disease in check."

:huh:
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    No carbs after some arbitrary time, usually sometime in the evening

I have actually been told by a dietitian, a physician, and a nurse practitioner that eating carbs within a certain amount of time before bed can impact fat burning. Their reasoning is that carbs are burnt off first for energy before fat. So if you do your workouts in the mornings, not eating carbs for dinner helps to burn more fat in that morning workout since your body has no carbs to burn off for energy. I read an article recently about research that supports this idea but I don't remember where. I'll look for it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Lets see:

"You have to eat less than 1200 calories to lose weight. It is impossible for women in this family to lose weight otherwise." - courtesy of my mom

"Don't eat butter. Use margarine it's healthier."

Mom -"If you eat after 7pm, it will all be stored as fat and you won't lose weight"
    Me - "Huh? I already eat way later than 7pm and still lose weight."
    Mom - "Eventually it will stop and your going to start gaining weight."
    Me - "Not unless I start eating more than maintenance calories."
    Mom - "Nope calories don't matter."
    Me - "..." Complete loss for words.

"Put cinnamon on top of everything you eat. It will speed up your metabolism."
  • 30 bananas a day diet. So stupid.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I was advised not to eat white food.