What is the weirdest weight loss advice you've ever had?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My mom is old school, and gives me gems like these:

eat 1/2 grapefruit every morning to keep your metabolism up

never eat a whole sandwich, always HALF...eating whole sandwiches will make you gain, no matter how many calories you eat overall

order salads everywhere you go with dressing on the side. NEVER a cheeseburger. NEVER a taco. NEVER!

She thinks these are the MAJOR keys to weight loss and if you don't follow them, you won't lose weight. This is why she doesn't diet...along with the idea that the foods my husband and I eat are "crazy" and "weird" and "very expensive" (yep, lentils and eggs and bananas are sooooo $$)

I follow none of these "rules" she believes in.
  • rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Its not really advice.... But i do get the "You're so lucky you lose weight easily" comments a lot. Then i tell them its not hard, that i still eat whatever junk i want in smaller portions, and just exercise a little bit. All they have to say, "Well you must just have a high metabolism".
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    30 bananas a day diet. So stupid.

Isn't that nearly 4000 calories!?
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was advised not to eat white food.

49157-george-takei-oh-my-gif-e64l-150x150.gif

Actually, my mother said the same thing - No white bread, rice, pasta, or granulated sugar.

I'm having a slice of macaroni and cheese pizza this weekend and taking a picture for her.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Not advice given to me, but I heard a woman telling her friend once that she doesn't eat any melons because they, especially watermelon, 'have the opposite effect on weight loss." Apparently melons are magic.

awww crap. I just went to a Chinese buffet at lunch and 1/3 of my plate was cantaloupe & honeydew. So gonna gain 10 lb today ;-)
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    That no matter how much you weigh or how much weight you need to lose, 1200 calories a day is the magic number to stick by. NOT!
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options

it gets worst, 30 bananas a day is just a slogan. Some followers of that diet, especially the girl that made is popular, eats 50-60 a day.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

it gets worst, 30 bananas a day is just a slogan. Some followers of that diet, especially the girl that made is popular, eats 50-60 a day.

Hello, hyperpotassemia.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Eating all the gummie bears that I want, because they are fat free.
    No. Even. Kidding.

This lady also did the cabbage soup and grafefruit diets.

Maybe it would work if they were also sugar free. :sick:

If you go by some of the reviews on sugar-free gummie bears, I'm pretty sure they're essentially laxatives.

Yes they are. My son hates ice cream (Pretty sure he might be the only 5 year old on earth who hates ice cream.) so when we go to get ice cream, he gets a bag of candy. When he was 3 he ate 1/2 bag of sugar-free gummy bears. I didn't realize they were sugar free until about 1.5 hours later when I hear my husband screaming from the basement "OH MY GOD! HELP!" I go running down there because I think someone got hurt and there is poop everywhere. Poop on the walls, on the furniture, carpet. My poor child is frozen like a deer in headlights because he doesn't know what is happening. The weird thing is he was wearing a pull up and pants. The poop shot out with such force that it volcano erupted from his clothing. I swear this isn't even an exaggeration. It was insane. Then I saw the bag of gummy bears on the kitchen counter with the "sugar free" label. They went straight to the trash. lol Now we inspect his candy before he eats it. lol
  • TheBookSiren2316
    Options
    OH boy do I have a lot! lol

1. "Take *Insert ridiculous diet pill name here*! It's not a diet pill it boosts metabolism and helps melt fat! know someone who knows someone who lost a ton of weight using it!"

2. "Replace two meals a day with smoothies.... No I don't know what's in the smoothie mix but I was told there are tons of vitamins. And no meal replacement is not the beginning of ED habits, I know all this because my pusher told me they lost 50lbs in two weeks and say they know someone making tons of money selling this stuff so it must be good. If you're still hungry it's because you did something wrong, you don't actually need to eat real food but once a day."

3. Don't lift weights more than 3 times a week, cardio is more important than lifting for weight loss, and don't lift heavy or you'll get bulky." *Still laughing at this one!!!*

4. "Only eat 500 calories a day and take hcg injections! My "nutritionist" told me it's safe and perfectly fine, fat people don't need as many calories. I'd trust a licensed nutritionist over some jealous hater who says it's bad for you. I lost 10 lbs in a week! No I wont gain the weight back when I begin eating again because my nutritionist didn't tell me that would happen." (<- Seriously that actually happened almost verbatim with my sister. Her friend even jumped on me asking me what do I know because I'm fat. I know as an ex anorexic, 500 calories a day will end you up in the hospital for malnutrition and you'll gain the weight back, idiot. Guess who was right and who ended up in the hospital with "the flu" but stopped eating only 500cals shortly after? I still want to strangle whatever 'nutritionist' brainwashed her. )

5. "You shouldn't take protein powder it will keep you from losing weight."

6. "Water's not for drinking, it's for bathing. You should drink Gatorade it's better for you." <- My dad. lol Gotta love him -_-

7. "I read if you criticize fat people it provokes them into losing weight just to prove you wrong." **Reads headline of some kid committing suicide for being bullied and called fat their whole life.**

8. "You should take diuretics, I heard it helps jump start weight loss!" Because who doesn't want to shart themselves every time they blink?!

9. "Maybe you should get that lap band surgery?" (I was 180lbs at the time so thank you. signed, my waning self esteem at the time lol)

There's more and I could name all the pills I was told to take, but too many people reading this might be in the state of mind I used to be in where if I saw something like this I would take notes instead of learn from others mistakes. Either way this was fun remembering all the crazy stuff people told me to do, and all the stuff I was stupid enough to actually try. lol
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Lets see:

"You have to eat less than 1200 calories to lose weight. It is impossible for women in this family to lose weight otherwise." - courtesy of my mom

"Don't eat butter. Use margarine it's healthier."

Mom -"If you eat after 7pm, it will all be stored as fat and you won't lose weight"
    Me - "Huh? I already eat way later than 7pm and still lose weight."
    Mom - "Eventually it will stop and your going to start gaining weight."
    Me - "Not unless I start eating more than maintenance calories."
    Mom - "Nope calories don't matter."
    Me - "..." Complete loss for words.

"Put cinnamon on top of everything you eat. It will speed up your metabolism."

Ohh my mom and sister actually started a yelling match for that one. Telling me "they" say not to eat after 7 pm. Then I asked who "they" were....
  • mearsy88
    mearsy88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I attended two weeks of slimming world with friends and we were told that we could eat unlimited pasta and should eat grapefruit every day. Unsurprisingly, most of the group was gaining weight instead of losing, which they were told was because they were eating the wrong type of brown bread. :huh:

I ate all the fruit, veg , potatos, pasta on slimming world and lost 3stone!! Just got bored if it in the end!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options

I just read a blog about an "Egg Fast Diet" where you eat only eggs, cheese and butter for five days! I like eggs, cheese and butter but if that's all I get to eat for five days I may kill someone! Either with my aggressive attitude or some fatal gas! :noway:
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    The 5 bite diet.
    At your meal time you can have 5 bites of ANY one food you enjoy and you will lose weight.

That's actually not that crazy - it's a no-math way of moving towards calorie counting and portion control.
    and eating hardly any calories per day......

Depends on the food
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Eating all the gummie bears that I want, because they are fat free.
    No. Even. Kidding.

This lady also did the cabbage soup and grafefruit diets.

Maybe it would work if they were also sugar free. :sick:

If you go by some of the reviews on sugar-free gummie bears, I'm pretty sure they're essentially laxatives.

Yes they are. My son hates ice cream (Pretty sure he might be the only 5 year old on earth who hates ice cream.) so when we go to get ice cream, he gets a bag of candy. When he was 3 he ate 1/2 bag of sugar-free gummy bears. I didn't realize they were sugar free until about 1.5 hours later when I hear my husband screaming from the basement "OH MY GOD! HELP!" I go running down there because I think someone got hurt and there is poop everywhere. Poop on the walls, on the furniture, carpet. My poor child is frozen like a deer in headlights because he doesn't know what is happening. The weird thing is he was wearing a pull up and pants. The poop shot out with such force that it volcano erupted from his clothing. I swear this isn't even an exaggeration. It was insane. Then I saw the bag of gummy bears on the kitchen counter with the "sugar free" label. They went straight to the trash. lol Now we inspect his candy before he eats it. lol
    Ha, love this!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed with logic behind why people follow Trending diets like Paleo, the idea that I will lose weight and be healthier like Humans from the paleolithic era because I'm eating the way they did. Have you ever met someone from that era and thought to yourself, man he looked good? Also pretty sure humans from that era also had to hunt for their food, went long periods of time without food and probably didn't live much longer than 30-40 years at a time due to sickness and disease and other factors attributed to lack of technology and modern medicine.

I have nothing against the idea of avoiding processed foods if that's someone's personal preference, but why not call paleo the no processed foods diet? I recognize that paleo does work for some people but that isn't surprising if you think about it, imagine how easy it might be to stay under your calorie goal if you can't eat fast food, drink sugared sodas, fried chicken and etc. If I ate nothing but whole foods meats, veggies and fruits and didn't add processed food, oils and butters I'm pretty sure I could stay under my calorie goal too. I would just miss all of my favorite foods and once I stopped the Paleo diet just go right back to my bad habits. All that work learning how to be good at paleo wasted in the end.

If you lose weight on a diet it's because you consumed less calories than you burned which can be achieved by diet alone or in combination with exercise and activity. You can totally gain weight on paleo if you eat at a surplus, there's no magic behind it.
  • captaindle
    captaindle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I told a friend that while I lived in Colombia I got a parasite. I couldn't eat and if I did it all came right back out the back end in a most unpleasant way. She literally said to me, "What a great way to lose weight." I've also heard of people purposely ingesting tape worms.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    A neighbor studied somewhere for two weeks and now considers himself a nutritionist. He told me at a party that the key is to take enzymes. I told him there are various kinds of enzymes and asked what kind he meant. He reached into his pocket and took out some capsules. The idea, he said, is that the enzymes digest food more completely and that causes us to not be hungry and so we eat less. When I told him I simply track calories and excercise, he just screwed up his face and walked away. He's slightly overweight and I've been on maintenance for over two years.
  • DEB6BERREY
    DEB6BERREY Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Taking a tsp of organic apple cider vinegar and orange juice before eating in the morning.

Also, and this one helps me to stop "picking" at my food at a restaurant, pour water or salt or anything unappetizing over the food left on your plate so you will be forced to stop eating.