Skinny Bi**h Book

Options

Replies

• hbarnes1216
    hbarnes1216 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've read the book. Even had Skinny Bi**h in the Kitch along with it. They make some good points along the way. Being vegetarian, or vegan for that matter, isn't a bad thing. You just have to do it right.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You have posted in the past about your disordered eating, and your distorted body image view.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1334375-binge-eating-the-never-ending-cycle-of-self-sabotage

I don't think a book like this is going to help you. Being on something so restrictive is likely to set you into a binge cycle even further.

Please get help from a professional.

And if you're not willing, at least read the info on this site: http://s517416068.onlinehome.us/?p=197
    This is the blog for "Brain Over Binge." Its a very helpful website. If you can afford the book, its about $10 on Amazon. Good luck.
  • grniys
    grniys Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've skimmed through this book and was not happy with what I read (it was a long time ago though, so some of my recall of the book may not be completely accurate). They really push organic which is great, but I felt the way they pushed it was rude. I buy mostly organic for my family but realize not everyone can afford it. Someone shouldn't be made to feel badly because they have to choose between buying organic and paying the rent. Geesh.

As for the ethics and animals, it really varies. You can find meat and dairy that is from farms that treat their animals very well in a low stress environment. I try to buy meat from only those places. Realistically, it's really expensive and I can't always afford $15-20 for one chicken. I buy the best quality I possibly can and don't beat myself up over the times I can't.

Being Vegan does not automatically equal losing weight. I spent a year as a vegetarian and lost no weight. I ate a lot of pasta and grains and nuts and seeds during that year.

I think there are many much better diet resources than that book.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I read about 3 pages of it when it first came out and immediately put it down.... I don't appreciate the PETA propaganda and "holier than thou" attitude... so like Randomtai said. "no."
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I read the Book Skinny ***** by two models Rory and Kim.
    Has anyone else read this book?
    I am curious to get everyones opinon on the information in the book!
    They explain in graphic detail how badly mistreated animals are and that to loose weight means you need to be healthy. Healthy= Skinny. They say to go vegetarian and always start your day off with fruits.
    I like the book but should i really stop eating meat & dairy?
    Opinions?

Thank You!!! : )

My opinion? You should read real books.

You're welcome!!! :)
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    No, but my cousin read "Run, Fat ***** Run." It really helped her to get into running, and she looked fabulous on her wedding day.

I want that now based on title alone! :laugh:

I didn't buy the book but I read the testimonials. Sounds like the author is entertaining to read:)
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Healthy and skinny aren't synonyms btw. They have little to do with each other and the book promotes inaccurate assumptions on health by religiously following old myths, completely ignoring that correlation is not causation. We've learned a lot more about human bodies since the 80's, especially regarding weight and health.

ETA: Some of us can't start our day off with fruits because we were born with diabetes. Again, why you shouldn't be taking advice from a self-proclaimed healthist quack who isn't even a doctor.

I would be so hangry by 9 pm if I started my day off with fruit... and I'm not even pre-diabetic...
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Options
    lol @ all the propaganda posts

makes it easier to keep murdering others when you just pretend its all propaganda I guess

go-home-youre-drunk.jpg
  • vintagelovesongss
    vintagelovesongss Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey babe! :) I became vegetarian 6 years ago after watching and reading about the various cruelties that animals are subjected to...just for our tastebuds. After I gave up eating meat and eggs, I lost 25 pounds, my body felt cleaner, and I felt better about myself knowing that I do not support the slaughter of those poor animals. Many people believe that animals are treated well at these "family farms", but it's a sad misconception, if you don't take my word, I suggest you watch the documentary "Meet Your Meat" on YouTube. I know it's really hard to watch, but it's essential, ignorance is not always bliss! It's awesome that you are even considering becoming vegetarian, and I hope you'll make the best choice for your health and the animals. :)
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hey babe! :) I became vegetarian 6 years ago after watching and reading about the various cruelties that animals are subjected to...just for our tastebuds. After I gave up eating meat and eggs, I lost 25 pounds, my body felt cleaner, and I felt better about myself knowing that I do not support the slaughter of those poor animals. Many people believe that animals are treated well at these "family farms", but it's a sad misconception, if you don't take my word, I suggest you watch the documentary "Meet Your Meat" on YouTube. I know it's really hard to watch, but it's essential, ignorance is not always bliss! It's awesome that you are even considering becoming vegetarian, and I hope you'll make the best choice for your health and the animals. :)

I really don't care that you're a vegetarian or not, that's your own choice. But to say that that's a misconception is both wrong and insulting. I have various relatives and friends that own farms (almost half my family owns farms) and they all practice appropriate farming. So please don't group every family farm in there.
  • vintagelovesongss
    vintagelovesongss Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The ignorance in your reply is overwhelming. Studies have shown time and time again that the consumption of meat has been linked to heart disease, obesity, and even cancer. Healthier and cruelty-free proteins can be found at every supermarket and restaurant now (soy, quinoa, buckwheat, legumes, nuts, rice and beans, seitan, etc.) So maybe "depriving your body of the best protein out there" is actually better than depriving it of healthy and moral sources of protein and amino acids. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The ignorance in your reply is overwhelming. Studies have shown time and time again that the consumption of meat has been linked to heart disease, obesity, and even cancer. Healthier and cruelty-free proteins can be found at every supermarket and restaurant now (soy, quinoa, buckwheat, legumes, nuts, rice and beans, seitan, etc.) So maybe "depriving your body of the best protein out there" is actually better than depriving it of healthy and moral sources of protein and amino acids. :)

:yawn:
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Oh there's that holier than thou-righteous indignation attitude again....

I think I'm going to change my name to Dexter....
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    My sister has read the book and became a vegetarian as a result. However, she still eats eggs and dairy, and eats ice cream at least once a week. She is also quite thin but that might be her body type -- she was always thin and never had children, so didn't get the "baby fat" I got. She does have to take a B-complex because she is low in B vitamins. She's pretty good about eating a wide range of vegetarian foods, but apparently meat has more B-vitamins than most other foods, and she's deficient.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

http://authoritynutrition.com/7-evidence-based-health-reasons-to-eat-meat/
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Options

Wait, my protein needs to be moral? Damn it, how do I track that?
  • epfahl
    epfahl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for over 3 years (full-on) now and it's wonderful I don't miss meat at all and I feel better every day. And if you crave those chicken wings or a burger, there are Tons of vegetarian substitutes made from soy-protein or tofu. (and they're delicious!) I even have veggie bacon on my breakfast bagel every morning. YUM. Being vegetarian is the HEALTHIEST option as long as you can get the nutrients you need (iron, protein, calcium) and you can get all this from plants. Plants have protein too, a large amount in some cases. If you aren't a huge veggie fan, legumes, nuts or vitamins are the way to go, but I guarantee that if you try it and experiment with new foods, you will find what you like in the veggie categories.
    Then key to any diet is to eat less calories than you did before, (especially if you don't have much time for exercise) so that your body can adjust to a new 'normal' calorie intake. Think going from eating 2500 cal to eating 1800 per day. if you lower your normal range, your body will burn more fat because it will realize you aren't in 'starvation mode' and will release more leptin, your fat burning hormone.
    Hope this helps, message me for more info or with questions.
    -Lisa
  • epfahl
    epfahl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Also, there are cruelty-free farms. My dad owns one, totally USDA Organic and truly cage-free. The animals live a healthy life until it is time to "process" them, when they get the most pain-free death ever. I've even helped process chickens there before. (me, the vegetarian, peta-crazy girl). I support cruelty free farms.
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like the book but should i really stop eating meat & dairy?

Let's leave morals out of this and look at nutrition.

Don't cut out entire food groups unless you've researched the advantages/disadvantages. I'm a vegetarian and for me, it's the right way to eat because I feel better physically, and I'm already allergic to dairy. But I did my research on nutrition, protein sources, whole foods, and more. Vegetarianism and veganism are not right for everyone, and they're not just about not eating meat/dairy. I eat A LOT of vegetables and fruits, along with nuts and legumes and yes, tofu and tempeh. Many vegetables are good sources of protein and other nutrients like iron and calcium.

"Skinny B*tch" is a decent cookbook, but it's also a lot of propaganda both for veganism and for skinniness. Propaganda is not reliable information. I personally like Isa Chandra Moskowitz' "Appetite for Reduction".

Also, take heed of what epfahl posted above me.