Skinny Bi**h Book

Options

Replies

• brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, and this book sounds silly. No, a vegetarian diet isn't necessarily healthier. No, skinny and healthy aren't interchangeable.
    There are many reasons to go vegetarian or vegan, but believing it would necessarily make you thin/healthy isn't one of them.

People write all sorts of things, both on the internet and in books. Most of them aren't actually certified. If you think your diet isn't good for you, consult a nutritionist.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    The ignorance in your reply is overwhelming. Studies have shown time and time again that the consumption of meat has been linked to heart disease, obesity, and even cancer. Healthier and cruelty-free proteins can be found at every supermarket and restaurant now (soy, quinoa, buckwheat, legumes, nuts, rice and beans, seitan, etc.) So maybe "depriving your body of the best protein out there" is actually better than depriving it of healthy and moral sources of protein and amino acids. :)

JSF :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    In case the OP is still reading - I recently stopped eating meat (about 8 months ago) and changed to soy or almond milk, the only dairy that I eat is cheese every once in a while. I can tell you that I honestly feel no different than I did when I was eating meat. The air isn't cleaner, my eyes aren't brighter, I don't feel like a new person, etc. I did it for ethical reasons, but I find it much harder to lean out now because it's harder to get your macros in line when your protein comes from a lot of carb sources. Just my two cents.
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Does the information presented in the book make sense to you and resonate with you? Do your homework, do some fact checking, and if you decide that their guidelines are right for your health and fitness goals then go for it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The ignorance in your reply is overwhelming. Studies have shown time and time again that the consumption of meat has been linked to heart disease, obesity, and even cancer. Healthier and cruelty-free proteins can be found at every supermarket and restaurant now (soy, quinoa, buckwheat, legumes, nuts, rice and beans, seitan, etc.) So maybe "depriving your body of the best protein out there" is actually better than depriving it of healthy and moral sources of protein and amino acids. :)

cruelty free proteins?

rice isn't a protein. neither is buckwheat. It may contain protein- but it's a pale alternative to eating actual meat.

Humans are omnivores- we were built to eat meat. Some people have issues with it- morally and that's fine- but there is absolutely no hard proof that we make ourselves sick eating meat. If we were supposed to be herbivores- we'd have a completely different set up for processing foods... you know- like teeth- that look like bovine or equine teeth- not something that resembles a mix of canine and equine.

OMNIVORE.

Not herbivore.

Evolution trumps your bias "studies"

and I'd rather die of dancer than life in a meatless world. Seriously- steak is delicious. The cow is dead- it doesn't care. Neither does my bacon.
    That seems like a pretty silly way to die.

HA- totally slip.

I'd totally be okay dying as a dancer. LOL- easy peasy lemon squeezy.

but yeah- either way- cancer or dancer- still better than dying a meatless boring death!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I disagree about humans being biologically omnivorous, but agree to disagree. However, I did not tell the OP to ever restrict further, but rather gave my opinion, like the dozens of other members. Why would eating a meat-free diet cause an ED sensitive person to relapse?

While I have zero problems with someone choosing to follow a veg*n diet or lifestyle, I simply cannot see where someone could reach the bolded conclusion above based on the readily-available information. It suggests that you have not actually looked into the topic, or if you have, that you were very selective in the information you reviewed.

TL;DR - Your arguments will be far more persuasive if you do not dismiss what is known to be true.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

JSF :)

SASH.

ETA: also, LOL at 18 year old know-it-all with 83 pounds to lose. SMH.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I read the book and I am vegetarian
    (not from reading the book ofcourse). They do make you want to just stop eating any kind of animal and animal products. So, I think the book promotes veganism. It also talks about soda being toxic as well, which I found interesting (the fact where they said you could use it for a cleaning agent to get rid of hard *kitten* grim). In the end, I love my carbs too much... but it was a thoughtful read.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    OP, to your original question - no. Unless you have been told by a medical professional that you need to cut out meat and dairy from your diet, there's no reason for you to not eat either as part of a healthy, balanced lifestyle :smile:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

cruelty free proteins?

rice isn't a protein. neither is buckwheat. It may contain protein- but it's a pale alternative to eating actual meat.

Humans are omnivores- we were built to eat meat. Some people have issues with it- morally and that's fine- but there is absolutely no hard proof that we make ourselves sick eating meat. If we were supposed to be herbivores- we'd have a completely different set up for processing foods... you know- like teeth- that look like bovine or equine teeth- not something that resembles a mix of canine and equine.

OMNIVORE.

Not herbivore.

and I'd rather die of dancer than life in a meatless world. Seriously- steak is delicious. The cow is dead- it doesn't care. Neither does my bacon.

HA- totally slip.

but yeah- either way- cancer or dancer- still better than dying a meatless boring death!!!

JoRocka, I agree. And your typo made me chuckle a bit. :smile:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Honestly with a history of eating disorders I'd stay away from anything like this.

I think it's a terrible idea.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    personally i find chicken with GMO's tastier due to the chicken tears it sheds being cooped up in a small confining space with other chickens standing on him to maximize space
  • mamurray24
    Options
    Mostly propaganda written by not healthcare professionals with a clear agenda. Gimmicky name, unprofessional voice throughout, emotional roller coaster, opinions on opinions on opinions with no reliable (keyword) sources on health. Not that it doesn't raise valid points about animal rights issues, but it's got little to do with "skinny" or "health" and mostly just *****ing.

Completely agree. I literally threw the book in the trash because it was so much propaganda. Shame on me for not doing my research before reading it. Everything in moderation.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I read that book.

Tried it for 2 weeks.

I was a b*tch and I pretty much barked at anyone.

Oh and the book has a list of products to buy that are "approved" by them.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

cruelty free proteins?

OMNIVORE.

Not herbivore.

HA- totally slip.

dancer.jpg

NEWSFLASH: The beloved Dancer was recently spotted on a mad killing rampage against all meat eaters. Story at 11.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I disagree about humans being biologically omnivorous, but agree to disagree. However, I did not tell the OP to ever restrict further, but rather gave my opinion, like the dozens of other members. Why would eating a meat-free diet cause an ED sensitive person to relapse?

If you are not familiar at all about EDs or understand about what can trigger people with EDs, then please just stop and leave this thread...NOW.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

cruelty free proteins?

OMNIVORE.

Not herbivore.

HA- totally slip.

dancer.jpg

NEWSFLASH: The beloved Dancer was recently spotted on a mad killing rampage against all meat eaters. Story at 11.

Well, can't help it. Venison stew is the best.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Hey babe! :) I became vegetarian 6 years ago after watching and reading about the various cruelties that animals are subjected to...just for our tastebuds. After I gave up eating meat and eggs, I lost 25 pounds, my body felt cleaner, and I felt better about myself knowing that I do not support the slaughter of those poor animals. Many people believe that animals are treated well at these "family farms", but it's a sad misconception, if you don't take my word, I suggest you watch the documentary "Meet Your Meat" on YouTube. I know it's really hard to watch, but it's essential, ignorance is not always bliss! It's awesome that you are even considering becoming vegetarian, and I hope you'll make the best choice for your health and the animals. :)

I'm amazed you seem to care so much about the ethical treatment of animals but seem to care so little about the ethical treatment of the human being you are advising here - the OP.

If you want to make the argument that vegetarianism is a good thing to do on an ethical basis then cool beans.

However trying to effectively scaremonger the OP into doing it when it may not be appropriate for her physiologically but especially psychologically given her previous eating history is not on.

I'm sure you mean well but being able to advise people properly means putting your personal beliefs and biases to one side and assessing the person before you critically to find the correct solutions to their issues depending on their situation.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    makes sense that op has an eating disorder because that's literally all that book is. guidelines on how to become a boring orthorexic snob. if you're going to be vegan, that's fine, but don't do it because a couple of ex-models told you it'd make you skinny while calling you a fat pig every few lines.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I never TOLD the OP to restrict further, I do not understand how she cannot just substitute her meat calories and nutrients for meat alternatives. Yes I give my opinion, and yes I know that many will not like it, but I also provided reputable sources based on FACTS along with my personal views and opinions. Overall, like you said, you choose to eat animals and I choose not to eat animals.
    ix0Tk7faDwqQE.gif
    I've never heard of anyone getting diabetes by eating too many raw vegetables...
    LxyEs.gif

LOL, at the end of the day, they are still slaughtering the poor things!

http://www.mercyforanimals.org/investigations.aspx
    celine-dion-shh1.gif

WHAAAAAT THE HECK?! How in the world am I selfish, I think giving up one the in order to benefit/save others is the exact opposite of being selfish. Whatever, I'm done, because obviously one cannot give her own opinion without being bashed and being called insults.
    tumblr_n893qbxMMW1smcbm7o1_500.gif