The Fast Metabolism Diet

Replies

• cialci
    cialci Posts: 2 Member
    What food is junk?! Did you really ask that? Oh, gee . . . how about sugar, processed foods that you microwave instead of cook, junky wheat + additives foods? Food-like items that come out of boxes, not from the produce and meat/seafood sections of the market? This plan has you cut out garbage. Sure, some people can eat garbage and still lose weight; more power to them. I eat fresh fruits & vegetables, lean meats, healthy starches like sweet potatoes, etc. So I guess my giving up things like sugary drinks and snacks and empty calories is just "dumb" to you. You might want to read the book before you judge me or anyone else who follows it. What I did before did not work. As I said, I was over-exercising, watching calories, doing all the "right" things, and nothing worked. My blood pressure has come way down, my cholesterol is down and I have more energy and a much calmer disposition. As I said, it is working for me. Might not work for you. To each his/her own.
  • I am there with you! I am 54 and have been on so many diets and lost and gained weight. In the past any diet I tried I would lose weight. Now I can't lose and if I do it takes weeks to lose a pound. One of my co workers who has done a ton of dieting told me about the book. Him and his wife have been on it and have both been losing weight. So, I decided to get the book and I am going to start on Monday. I would love to hear how you are doing and join your group.
  • caseyjmc
    caseyjmc Posts: 37 Member
    I've tried fad diets, and non-fad WOEs. So, what's one more?
    On these diets, I either lost a load of weight but starved and craved, or I felt terrific and was healthy, but lost no weight. Let's see how this one pans out for me.

I have two friends who began this diet about 8 months ago. One has lost over 60lbs, the other over 40lbs. The one who lost 60 lbs is very much like myself. She has struggled with her weight since at least college (where she and I met in 1972), and we are both 60ish. Her success and well-being on this plan convinced me to give it a try.

This plan in a nutshell: no sugar foods other than fruit, no dairy, no caffeine for the first 28 days. Thereafter, still no sugar, suggested no dairy, suggested no caffeine. The theory is that the 28 days gets your metabolism working right, so you can add in reasonable amounts of dairy or caffeine without it throwing you off. You can return to the 28 day plan at anytime.

For the 28 days:

Phase 1: Monday and Tuesday: No fats at all. Lots of nutritious carbs to include fruit, whole grains (no wheat), cereals, healthy proteins, unlimited vegetables (including sweet potatoes and yams, beets, carrots, as well as all the usual veggies).

Phase 2: Wednesday and Thursday: No fats at all, no carbs. Just lean animal protein and veggies (NOT included: sweet potatoes and yams, beets, carrots), but most of the rest of the usuals).

Phase 3: Friday, Saturday, Sunday: Lots of healthy fats, healthy carbs (fruit and grains but no wheat), protein and of course veggies.

Repeat this process four times and you've done 28 days. See what happens.

Lots of recipes and great ideas. Get the book and read about it. Her writing is very easy to read, and she explains the plan to include the "in between the lines" information that I left out in the outline above.

So, I am on day 3 (Phase 2), and I'll report back after the first 28 days. If I lose even 5 lbs, it's better than I've done in over a year. My friend lost 16 lbs in that first 28 days. Wish me luck!
  • caseyjmc
    How are you doing so far? I'm on day 3 of the 28.
  • WenBFit
    WenBFit Posts: 1 Member
    Would love to hear how you are doing so far.
  • caseyjmc
    Day 5 has been delightful. I feel great. One thing that Pomroy says is that this plan forces you to get in touch with what you really like foodwise. I thought I knew what that was, but I have been pleasantly surprised.

For instance, I didn't think I could give up my three cup of coffee habit, and for the first five days, I didn't. But today I was introduced to Pero, a substitute for coffee, and it's pretty darn good. I also seem not to be needing caffeine anymore. Have had none today and have no desire for it.

And because there is a system of food selection, it takes at least the first week to get the hang of pre planning the meals and snacks. My friends who are successful at this diet told me it gets easier, so I am pushing forward. I'm learning where to buy certain foods, and am choosing better qualities of food. I'm also learning to freeze leftovers in prep for next weeks' phases. So in the long run, I am spending more on good food, but saving more by eating out less.
  • caseyjmc
    The first week I gained a pound, but after months of doing LCHF, then going to eating lots of carbs, I was surprised it wasn't more. The end of the second week, I had lost that lb., so I'm now at where I started. I am satisfied so far. Lots of good things that have as much to do with my mind as my body. I am more organized in the kitchen, more organized with meals, am managing my work time better because I am making my food time as important!

I am evolving in my reaction to food. I am feeling more normal, and I am sleeping better. Interesting!
  • caseyjmc
    At the end of week two, I lost 1 lb. At the end of week 3, I had lost another 2.6 lbs.

The plan takes getting adjusted to. In a nutshell:

Phase 1: Carbs are the focus. Eat fruit and veggies with higher glycemic index like pineapple, mango, strawberries, broccoli, plus protein.
    Phase 2: Animal protein is the focus. No fruit or fats. Eat lean meat, fish and poultry, and vegetables. No legumes.
    Phase 3: Fat is the focus. Eat low glycemic fruits and veggies, healthy fats, and protein.

The app makes it very easy to look up the foods I need for each phase, and shopping in advance is imperative to preparedness. I'm becoming much more flexible and creative. Today for lunch I split my grains between 3/4 c. brown rice and a piece of sprouted grain bread. Protein was blackeyed peas and tuna. Then I had my 1-½ c. of fruit as a smoothie with fresh pineapple, frozen cherries, frozen mango, and I threw in some fresh spinach and fresh cooked beets (unlimited veggies).

More next week...
  • caseyjmc
    One thing that occurred to me is that Pomroy has split the phases into Macros and Micros, which is something of which I didn't have enough understanding to do it myself. Phase 1 is about Carbs, Phase 2 Protein, Phase 3 Fats, and within each of those she manipulates the glycemic index to make for creating a metabolism that burns better.
  • caseyjmc
    I NEED HELP!!
    I started the fast metabolism diet because I was trying to loose 20 lbs. The first 2 weeks I lost 7 lbs so I was very excited about it. At the end of week 3 I had gained 1 lbs and I wanted to cry since I followed the diet religiously... and now on week 4 phase 3 I gained 2 more lbs... I don't know what happened? I know I did everything I was suppose to do... I Exercise 3-4 x a week like you are suppose to... I use to work out 5 times a week before so I had to cut back which was hard for me at first... did this happen to anyone else? Should I continue with the diet and just go back to working out like I used to?
    THank you!

Actually, Haylie Pomroy says to do about 30 minutes of cardio each day of Phase 1, 30 minutes of resistance training each day of Phase 2, and just leisurely exercise like walking each day of Phase 3. She emphasizes doing no more than that because it screws up the metabolism healing that the food system creates.

So, try doing the Phases without your usual exercise and just do what she says. Give it the 28 days and see what happens.
  • bigcrystal123
    bigcrystal123 Posts: 246 Member
    I started this diet on Monday the only thing I have a problem is I still have my bad snacks.but not like I use to..I eat what the diet tells me to but I still have small bits of other stuff. I weighed 179 on Monday as of today I'm down to 176.6..... so I guess I'm doing something right.if you guys have any meal ideas can u help me out.you can add me too I need some support with this diet.
  • caseyjmc
    I started this diet on Monday the only thing I have a problem is I still have my bad snacks.but not like I use to..I eat what the diet tells me to but I still have small bits of other stuff. I weighed 179 on Monday as of today I'm down to 176.6..... so I guess I'm doing something right.if you guys have any meal ideas can u help me out.you can add me too I need some support with this diet.
    Wednesday and Thursday are usually the most difficult, especially the breakfast and snacks for me. Basically 5-6 meals of animal protein (including the snacks).

This is our 4th week, and we finally got smart. We made the egg white casserole on Tuesday night, so Wednesday morning we just pulled it out of the refrigerator, cut it, nuked it, and it was pretty good. We used spinach, mushrooms, onions, Anaheim peppers, and seasoned it with salt and pepper. Do your own thing with the Phase 2 veggies you like.

We also made our own beef jerky. Haylie's recipe was ok, but we added a touch of xylitol to give it a less salty taste.

Dinners that work well on Phase 2 are beef or lamb kabobs (make enough so you have some for snacks).
    Green peppers stuffed with ground lamb, beef, or poultry. Sauté onions, mix with the ground beef, stuff the bell peppers and bake them. We found we liked the red bells the best. Main thing is to make enough of dinner to have for snacks as well.

During Phases 1 and 3, I eat steel cut oats for breakfast (trick to get in a veggie—purée sweet potatoes and add it into the steel cut oats. It's yummy), and add canned coconut milk as a fat, and also Rice or Almond milk , and I will eat one or two types of fruit. I'll also have an egg for protein.

Do the best you can, and you'll find that it gets easier each week.
    If you haven't already done so, get the app from the Apple Store https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fast-metabolism-diet-app-customized/id626362411?mt=8
  • jequirity
    jequirity Posts: 37 Member
    Yes, yes.....I know zombie thread brought back to life. Ooooooh, I am a horrid human being for bouncing it! How do I live with myself?

Moving on. ;)

I've been reading this book and would love to try the diet but jinkies with the cost of food these days it would completely break my budget.

I adored her rant on 'the science behind calories'. It was really well done.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    If it speaks to you, get it. I wait till I can get it on Amazon, used;) That will save you a few dollars. if it's something that you feel you can do for yourself and it's not a pill or shake that promises to speed up your metabolism do it. I enjoy reading about certain foods I could eat that would speed it up naturally; what can I add or subtract from my daily diet that would be beneficial, etc. Remember, it's a lifestyle change; make sure it's something you know in your heart that you can stick with and not get bored right away. And at about the time you do feel boredom kicking in, shuffle the deck and see what other healthy thing you can try--do you need more cardio or weights. Should you try Pilates or Zumba, Etc. Whatever you decide, much luck and peace on your journey:)
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    I get such a kick out of reading some of these posts... the 'experts' just fall out of the woodwork. I think, unless one has read the book and tried the diet..you speak out of ignorance. There is nothing at all wrong with a meal plan that emphasizes clean eating, increased water intake, cutting out caffeine, sugars and wheat. Isn't that what most people do to lose weight?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I get such a kick out of reading some of these posts... the 'experts' just fall out of the woodwork. I think, unless one has read the book and tried the diet..you speak out of ignorance. There is nothing at all wrong with a meal plan that emphasizes clean eating, increased water intake, cutting out caffeine, sugars and wheat. Isn't that what most people do to lose weight?

Most people on MFP use IIFYM and eat whatever. Weight loss should be the easy part. Being healthy is trickier.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

No, they reduce caloric intake...just maybe?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

I get a kick out of people that defend a nutjob author who claims calories are a lie while simultaneously hocking a diet that is all about severely restricted caloric intake .. just eat exactly what you're told and don't run the numbers and all will be fine ... trust her. Don't forget, her other works advocate coffee enemas.
  • godot77
    godot77 Posts: 24
    I'm starting this diet today, so anyone else doing this ,please message me! :) Really excited and happy about the changes that I'm making!