Skinny Bi**h Book

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BAW HA HA HA HA Dancer- works in the red light district- maybe she and Dasher will get it on over with hookers and blow. Someone should write a full length story.

And yes- Venison- it's delicious.

I disagree about humans being biologically omnivorous, but agree to disagree. However, I did not tell the OP to ever restrict further, but rather gave my opinion, like the dozens of other members. Why would eating a meat-free diet cause an ED sensitive person to relapse?

I can't. I just seriously can't.

YOU ARE WRONG. Science says so- you are willfully neglecting plain hard facts. You can "agree to disagree" but what you really just said was
    " I read what you wrote and I refuse to believe that 2 + 2 really actually equals 4. I think it equals 3... but we can just agree to disagree"
    NO. JUST NO.

I'm not agreeing with you.

YOU ARE WRONG.
    2 + 2 IS 4
    and humans are omnivores.

They have the power of free will to chose to NOT be as such and CHOSE to be veggie or vegan only. But that is a personal choice and has absolutely buptkiss to do with how we are actually built and designed.

(and that to say- I do not care one lickiety split what someone chooses to do for moral or ethical reasons- but that choice does not change the fact we were built to consume meat products- I just don't care a rats a&& if you do or do not)

You can do what ever you want- and have your own opinions about eating meat- but please stop with the trying to go around science. it's just not pretty and it's bad for everyone.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The book suggests donating blood to lose weight. LOL
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    No. No. No. No.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't think she really went about it in the right way, but the girl talking about how vegetarian diets are healthier is in fact correct. I'm a public health student at an Ivy League university and was taught this information. I sound like a total a$$hat for saying that but I feel like I need some credibility.

I also found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121650/ simply by googling. If you think a professor of public health at an Ivy is wrong, want to disagree with the NIH?

Meat consumption is linked to increased risk of cancer, heart disease, and metabolic syndrome- basically all chronic diseases.

Also there is no ethical argument to support meat consumption. Just because our bodies can do it does not make it ethical. Just because it happens in nature does not make it ethical. *TW* Rape occurs in nature among other animals, but I sincerely doubt you'll find a sane person who thinks rape is ethical.

That all being said, I'm an omnivore. I like burgers. I need more protein. I know it's not ethical and increases my risk for chronic disease but I do it anyway. I'm too lazy to do it and I like my meat foods too much.

There's nothing wrong with being an omnivore, but even if I don't want to go veg or vegan, I accept that I would be a more ethical and perhaps healthier person if I did.
  • Smpo1979
    Smpo1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    'Skinny Bi*ch' doesn't sound like something to aspire to be.

I'd read a book called 'Healthy, Decent Human Being'.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the book say something about enjoying the feeling of hunger? I vaguely remember reading that the headaches and nausea caused by not eating was "your body detoxifying". Yeah, that doesn't seem like a good, healthy, sustainable lifestyle.
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. If you agree with their points and try what they recommend, and it works for you, go for it. I personally quite liked the book and fit their recommendations into my life in a way, but more for weight reasons than ethical ones, and I do what works for me, eg. I don't have fruit for breakfast. I do find that all raw food doesn't cause cravings and is more satifying.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    *TW* Rape occurs in nature among other animals, but I sincerely doubt you'll find a sane person who thinks rape is ethical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Seriously? You're touting Ivy league? pfffft. Back to the studies for you.
    Total meat consumption was not significantly associated with colorectal cancer risk.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.10126/full

That's from the IJC, There are more, this was just the first I found. What you're missing is that your statement is wholly predicated on OVER consumption (which brings in other confounding variables) where you are assuming that research shows ANY consumption is an indicator of increased risk. That's simply not supported by the articles I've read. :)

Go forth and pubmed.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I disagree about humans being biologically omnivorous, but agree to disagree. However, I did not tell the OP to ever restrict further, but rather gave my opinion, like the dozens of other members. Why would eating a meat-free diet cause an ED sensitive person to relapse?

While I have zero problems with someone choosing to follow a veg*n diet or lifestyle, I simply cannot see where someone could reach the bolded conclusion above based on the readily-available information. It suggests that you have not actually looked into the topic, or if you have, that you were very selective in the information you reviewed.

TL;DR - Your arguments will be far more persuasive if you do not dismiss what is known to be true.

It's the equivalent to the flat earth, anti-evolution movement gripping almost half of the US. It's rather sad and scary.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    The title alone would make me keep walking to a better book, probably in the workout section.

Skinny B*tch, indeed.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Was it in the comedy section?

Chuckles
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't think she really went about it in the right way, but the girl talking about how vegetarian diets are healthier is in fact correct. I'm a public health student at an Ivy League university and was taught this information. I sound like a total a$$hat for saying that but I feel like I need some credibility.

I also found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121650/ simply by googling. If you think a professor of public health at an Ivy is wrong, want to disagree with the NIH?

Meat consumption is linked to increased risk of cancer, heart disease, and metabolic syndrome- basically all chronic diseases.

Also there is no ethical argument to support meat consumption. Just because our bodies can do it does not make it ethical. Just because it happens in nature does not make it ethical. *TW* Rape occurs in nature among other animals, but I sincerely doubt you'll find a sane person who thinks rape is ethical.

That all being said, I'm an omnivore. I like burgers. I need more protein. I know it's not ethical and increases my risk for chronic disease but I do it anyway. I'm too lazy to do it and I like my meat foods too much.

There's nothing wrong with being an omnivore, but even if I don't want to go veg or vegan, I accept that I would be a more ethical and perhaps healthier person if I did.
    From the study you linked

"In interpreting the findings from studies of meat intake and cancer, it should be noted that individuals who consume a diet high in red and processed meat typically also consume large amounts of foods such as butter, potatoes, refined grains, and high-fat dairy, all components of a westernized diet [60]. Thus red and processed meat intake might not be solely responsible for higher cancer risk. Additionally, meat intake is usually correlated with higher energy intakes [61,62] and obesity [63], so residual confounding may be present. Research aimed at understanding how foods and nutrients interact to promote or prevent carcinogenesis may provide a better understanding of potential etiological pathways and may explain some of the heterogeneity of published results."

None of the blue zone populations, which are the healthiest and longest living populations in the world, follow a strictly vegetarian or vegan diet.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Hey babe! :) I became vegetarian 6 years ago after watching and reading about the various cruelties that animals are subjected to...just for our tastebuds. After I gave up eating meat and eggs, I lost 25 pounds, my body felt cleaner, and I felt better about myself knowing that I do not support the slaughter of those poor animals. Many people believe that animals are treated well at these "family farms", but it's a sad misconception, if you don't take my word, I suggest you watch the documentary "Meet Your Meat" on YouTube. I know it's really hard to watch, but it's essential, ignorance is not always bliss! It's awesome that you are even considering becoming vegetarian, and I hope you'll make the best choice for your health and the animals. :)

. So please don't group every family farm in there.

Word. These people don't have a choice. Either raise these chickens or grow this corn/soy, or lose your livelihood by being blacklisted.

I'm all for treating animals fairly but I'm not about business bullying the American farmer.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    The ignorance in your reply is overwhelming. Studies have shown time and time again that the consumption of meat has been linked to heart disease, obesity, and even cancer. Healthier and cruelty-free proteins can be found at every supermarket and restaurant now (soy, quinoa, buckwheat, legumes, nuts, rice and beans, seitan, etc.) So maybe "depriving your body of the best protein out there" is actually better than depriving it of healthy and moral sources of protein and amino acids. :)

:yawn:

ditto :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • ebullock4
    Options
    I've read the book too and found some of the information interesting.

I agree with the focus on veggies and fruit in the book. Many people lose sight of the importance of eating enough in a day.
    But I will not agree with the idea of becoming a full vegetarian. Meat is such an important part to your diet.

I was a vegetarian for 3 years, and I'll never go back and here's why:
    It's much more difficult to find a balance in your diet; regardless of what vegetarians say - they will all try and convince you that their diet is balanced and that they are very healthy because they plan their meals = false. I know a lot of vegetarians and most of them have busy lives and would resort to quick options that didn't have a balanced diet (eg. veggies and dip - where's the protein?).
    My best friend was a vegetarian for 15 years. I met her in law school and she was tired 24/7. The school load was difficult and she couldn't find the time to make proper meals and always resorted to quick options - most of them were still considered "healthy", but just not balanced. I convinced her to try meat again and she will never go back.

I completely agree with the fact that the meat industry has awful ways of treating their animals; however, there are ways to get around that. Eg. purchase free-range eggs (chickens that aren't in cages); purchse meat from local farms (where you can see how they are raised) etc. It'll depend on where you live, but there are ways of feeling better about your meat purchases.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

From the study you linked

"In interpreting the findings from studies of meat intake and cancer, it should be noted that individuals who consume a diet high in red and processed meat typically also consume large amounts of foods such as butter, potatoes, refined grains, and high-fat dairy, all components of a westernized diet [60]. Thus red and processed meat intake might not be solely responsible for higher cancer risk. Additionally, meat intake is usually correlated with higher energy intakes [61,62] and obesity [63], so residual confounding may be present. Research aimed at understanding how foods and nutrients interact to promote or prevent carcinogenesis may provide a better understanding of potential etiological pathways and may explain some of the heterogeneity of published results."

None of the blue zone populations, which are the healthiest and longest living populations in the world, follow a strictly vegetarian or vegan diet.

TL;DR

Eating meat causes cancer. That's what ivy league educators are saying so you know it's true.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    People, people.

Join me in making cruelty free meat. Duck season starts soon. Just need a shotgun.
    rabbit-fire-trio1.jpg
  • ValGogo
    Options

Did you read my post suggesting that you stop focusing on your agenda?

That first article i misleading - those food items are not complete proteins - the way it is written implies they are.

Hey Sarauk, I know understand what you were posting about on home page. Lord have Mercy!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If you have ethical objections to the treatment of factory animals, there are things you can do that stop short of becoming vegan.

First, get involved and do something about it. Write your elected officials and demand legislation regarding animal cruelty in our food chain. Stop buying factory farmed meats and dairy...they're often full of antibiotics and hormones anyway.

Second, buy local, non-factory meats and dairy.

I know that in large cities, this could be more of an issue. I'm fortunate that I live in a fairly rural area. We have farms which let the public come and visit, and they sell meat, dairy and produce at the farm and in the local co-op and farmer's markets. You can see the animals and how they're treated, and how clean their environment is. These products also taste better. Grass fed beef tastes like a whole different animal, and has far more nutritional value. Fresh unrefrigerated eggs are amazingly creamy.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    89d.gif

I could, quite literally, watch this all day.