Skinny Bi**h Book

Options

Replies

• _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    *TW* Rape occurs in nature among other animals, but I sincerely doubt you'll find a sane person who thinks rape is ethical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Seriously? You're touting Ivy league? pfffft. Back to the studies for you.
    Total meat consumption was not significantly associated with colorectal cancer risk.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.10126/full

That's from the IJC, There are more, this was just the first I found. What you're missing is that your statement is wholly predicated on OVER consumption (which brings in other confounding variables) where you are assuming that research shows ANY consumption is an indicator of increased risk. That's simply not supported by the articles I've read. :)

Go forth and pubmed.

Can't watch youtube at work. But I'm assuming you didn't really have anything interesting to say and were just mocking me.

As I said, I'm not touting. I did say that it makes me sound like a jacka$$ to talk about it. But I was using my professor as the source, not me. I haven't done any research on meat consumption and cancer.

I just did.

And note "meat consumption" not "eating meat at all"

Also a quote from the study I linked. "In recent meta-analyses of colorectal cancer that included studies published up to 2005 summary associations indicated that red meat intakes were associated with 28%–35% increased risks while processed meats were associated with elevated risks of 20%–49%."

Enjoy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/pubmed/24842864

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/pubmed/24847855

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/pubmed/23563998

And while obesity may be a confounding factor when looking at general population studies, it's been found to be associated regardless of BMI.
  • SewSweets
    SewSweets Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow - are you all forum noobs? The OP never even came back to reply. "She" was just trolling and you all fell for it. Good grief.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options

TL;DR

Eating meat causes cancer. That's what ivy league educators are saying so you know it's true.

Increased risk.

But thanks for trying. I appreciate your attempt to summarize for me.

"I don't believe you because I don't want to" - Guy on the internet

You know it's true when random guys on the internet say things.
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    hTJb7IS.jpg
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Can't watch youtube at work. But I'm assuming you didn't really have anything interesting to say and were just mocking me.
    Watch it at home then, it's quite relevant to your comment.
    But I was using my professor as the source, not me. I haven't done any research on meat consumption and cancer.
    Then cite them, not attendance at a bastion of inflated tuition. ;) Having worked with people from Dartmouth, Cornell, Harvard, and a couple others. Only thing impressive has been the network they have. :)

What you keep missing is something basic, and this is wholly inline with attendance at Ivy leagues. Consumption does not show causation. OVER consumption does. It's a tiny word, I know. 4 letters. However, it's an extremely important modifier.

No need to thank me, it's a public service I provide.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Wow - are you all forum noobs? The OP never even came back to reply. "She" was just trolling and you all fell for it. Good grief.

I've seen that troll before. The crazy face....I remember it.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't think she really went about it in the right way, but the girl talking about how vegetarian diets are healthier is in fact correct. I'm a public health student at an Ivy League university and was taught this information. I sound like a total a$$hat for saying that but I feel like I need some credibility.

I also found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121650/ simply by googling. If you think a professor of public health at an Ivy is wrong, want to disagree with the NIH?

Meat consumption is linked to increased risk of cancer, heart disease, and metabolic syndrome- basically all chronic diseases.

Also there is no ethical argument to support meat consumption. Just because our bodies can do it does not make it ethical. Just because it happens in nature does not make it ethical. *TW* Rape occurs in nature among other animals, but I sincerely doubt you'll find a sane person who thinks rape is ethical.

That all being said, I'm an omnivore. I like burgers. I need more protein. I know it's not ethical and increases my risk for chronic disease but I do it anyway. I'm too lazy to do it and I like my meat foods too much.

There's nothing wrong with being an omnivore, but even if I don't want to go veg or vegan, I accept that I would be a more ethical and perhaps healthier person if I did.
    From the study you linked

"In interpreting the findings from studies of meat intake and cancer, it should be noted that individuals who consume a diet high in red and processed meat typically also consume large amounts of foods such as butter, potatoes, refined grains, and high-fat dairy, all components of a westernized diet [60]. Thus red and processed meat intake might not be solely responsible for higher cancer risk. Additionally, meat intake is usually correlated with higher energy intakes [61,62] and obesity [63], so residual confounding may be present. Research aimed at understanding how foods and nutrients interact to promote or prevent carcinogenesis may provide a better understanding of potential etiological pathways and may explain some of the heterogeneity of published results."

None of the blue zone populations, which are the healthiest and longest living populations in the world, follow a strictly vegetarian or vegan diet.

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this loony bin.
  • Yakelmeyer
    Yakelmeyer Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Consider a meat free, dairy free life as a philosophy or a lifestyle - you don't need it to lose weight and you don't necessarily lose weight on that type of diet. There are many fantastic health benefits if you choose to take that path and practice a balanced diet. Check out http://www.vegankit.com/ since it has some wonderful resources, information, and perspective.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options
    Watch it at home then, it's quite relevant to your comment.
    But I was using my professor as the source, not me. I haven't done any research on meat consumption and cancer.
    Then cite them, not attendance at a bastion of inflated tuition. ;) Having worked with people from Dartmouth, Cornell, Harvard, and a couple others. Only thing impressive has been the network they have. :)

What you keep missing is something basic, and this is wholly inline with attendance at Ivy leagues. Consumption does not show causation. OVER consumption does. It's a tiny word, I know. 4 letters. However, it's an extremely important modifier.

No need to thank me, it's a public service I provide.

Yeah.... see, I'm bored at my internship and procrastinating on a project. I don't think I'll be watching it at home but thanks anyway.

I agree that Ivy does not equal intelligence. I know some really stupid people in my program. But teaching at an Ivy is different. Especially when it's one of the top schools in receiving funding from the NIH. The professor I'm lazily quoting has his specialty in oncogenetics and cancer research and has published for the National Academy of Science. Now, you can say what you will about academia not necessarily being based on intelligence either, but I think it hits a little closer to the mark.

Thanks for being so condescending. That's incredibly sweet of you. Thank you for that public service.

Here, let me teach you a new word too! It's called dose-response. It's often used to chart the effects of an exposure based on differing amounts. Now, meat consumption and colorectal cancer have been shown to have what's called a "linear dose-response", this means that any amount increases risk and the more you consume, the greater your risk.

This paper has a graph of it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3108955/

I know that pictures can be easier to understand than words.
  • RunningMyPugandPapi
    RunningMyPugandPapi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did the Skinny ***** diet a few years back, except I didn't exercise (like, at all) and I didn't give up alcohol or diet coke (which the book requires). I lost about 35 pounds in about 3 months - but I had also left a very toxic boyfriend around the same time, and the veganism helped me to stop binge eating (which I had been doing as an abuse coping mechanism). And I had packed on about 25 of those pounds very recently before going vegan (because of the binge eating).

So I think that it was the combination of all of those factors which led to the weight loss, not just the veganism. If I had just eaten generally healthy, I probably would have had similar results (one benefit is that veganism practically forces you to prepare your own meals, which was very helpful in keeping me out of the drive thrus (except Taco Bell, which can be made vegan-friendly, haha oops)). And while you probably have enough energy to do some mild aerobic exercising or yoga while vegan, I couldn't run distances (which I enjoy) or lift anything heavy without significantly more protein in my diet, and getting the amount of protein needed from only plants is just too much work. Your mileage may vary on that.

A huge benefit was that I realized that I was actually lactose intolerant, and not just suffering from that catch-all disease "IBS" - I had been experiencing pain and intestinal issues which had gotten pretty horrible and it went away completely, immediately.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options
    You know, I don't think she really went about it in the right way, but the girl talking about how vegetarian diets are healthier is in fact correct. I'm a public health student at an Ivy League university and was taught this information. I sound like a total a$$hat for saying that but I feel like I need some credibility.

I also found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121650/ simply by googling. If you think a professor of public health at an Ivy is wrong, want to disagree with the NIH?

Meat consumption is linked to increased risk of cancer, heart disease, and metabolic syndrome- basically all chronic diseases.

Also there is no ethical argument to support meat consumption. Just because our bodies can do it does not make it ethical. Just because it happens in nature does not make it ethical. *TW* Rape occurs in nature among other animals, but I sincerely doubt you'll find a sane person who thinks rape is ethical.

That all being said, I'm an omnivore. I like burgers. I need more protein. I know it's not ethical and increases my risk for chronic disease but I do it anyway. I'm too lazy to do it and I like my meat foods too much.

There's nothing wrong with being an omnivore, but even if I don't want to go veg or vegan, I accept that I would be a more ethical and perhaps healthier person if I did.
    From the study you linked

"In interpreting the findings from studies of meat intake and cancer, it should be noted that individuals who consume a diet high in red and processed meat typically also consume large amounts of foods such as butter, potatoes, refined grains, and high-fat dairy, all components of a westernized diet [60]. Thus red and processed meat intake might not be solely responsible for higher cancer risk. Additionally, meat intake is usually correlated with higher energy intakes [61,62] and obesity [63], so residual confounding may be present. Research aimed at understanding how foods and nutrients interact to promote or prevent carcinogenesis may provide a better understanding of potential etiological pathways and may explain some of the heterogeneity of published results."

None of the blue zone populations, which are the healthiest and longest living populations in the world, follow a strictly vegetarian or vegan diet.

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this loony bin.

Also from that article:

"Although the association of cancer and meat intake may be partially explained by high-energy or high-fat (“westernized”) diets, of greater interest is a possible direct role of potentially carcinogenic compounds that are found in meats, including N-nitroso compounds, heterocyclic amines, or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. N-nitroso compounds are broad-acting potent carcinogens in animal models [3] and include nitrosamines, which require metabolic activation to be converted to a carcinogenic form, and nitrosamides, which do not require activation. Similarly, heterocyclic amines are classified as mutagens and animal carcinogens [4–8]. These compounds and others present in meats (salts, nitrates, nitrites, heme iron, saturated fat, estradiol) have been theorized to increase DNA synthesis and cell proliferation, increase insulin-like growth factors, affect hormone metabolism, promote free radical damage, and produce carcinogenic heterocyclic amines [9–16], all of which may promote the development of cancer."

and in the conclusion

"In summary, red and processed meat intake appears to be positively associated with risk of cancer of the colon and rectum, esophagus, liver, lung, and pancreas in a new, large US cohort study of 500,000 men and women....Overall, the strongest risk factors for cancer in the US are smoking and obesity [67]. However, understanding the complex interaction of diet with smoking and obesity, and how specific foods and nutrients are metabolized, may provide further clues into the etiology and, most importantly, the prevention of cancer."

You quoted the limitations section. All studies require discussing possible limitations and confounding factors. They recognize that obesity is related to cancer risk, but their conclusion is that mean consumption contributes to that risk.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    There are some good points in it.... but its basically trying to convert everybody to eating vegan.... which is completely unnecessary for weight loss, if that's all you're after.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I read the Book Skinny ***** by two models Rory and Kim.
    Has anyone else read this book?
    I am curious to get everyones opinon on the information in the book!
    They explain in graphic detail how badly mistreated animals are and that to loose weight means you need to be healthy. Healthy= Skinny. They say to go vegetarian and always start your day off with fruits.
    I like the book but should i really stop eating meat & dairy?
    Opinions?

Thank You!!! : )

I'm doing just fine eating meat and cheese and heavy cream... Losing weight is about a calorie deficit, nothing else. Vegetarianism/Veganism is a moral choice and if you chose either of those based on anything else, you're doing it wrong.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    My take on that book:

A bunch of nonsense and tomfoolery stitched together with *****iness and snark.

Seriously. I hated that book, the tone it was written in, and all the false claims it made. Is it true that food animals are treated poorly in some cases? .... unfortunately yes. There is documented proof. If this is something that pulls at your heartstrings (it does mine), buy humanely raised and slaughtered meat. Prepare for sticker shock.

If you want to go vegan, do way more research. It's going to take a concerted effort to get the nutrition you need. It's possible, but challenging.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have no opinion on the book, however I shall say I was a vegetarian for five years (but not vegan)...and gained a TON of weight!!! I get that this was my fault, but vegetarian does not automatically equal skinny or healthy, you still have to eat well and within your calories
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hey babe! :) I became vegetarian 6 years ago after watching and reading about the various cruelties that animals are subjected to...just for our tastebuds. After I gave up eating meat and eggs, I lost 25 pounds, my body felt cleaner, and I felt better about myself knowing that I do not support the slaughter of those poor animals. Many people believe that animals are treated well at these "family farms", but it's a sad misconception, if you don't take my word, I suggest you watch the documentary "Meet Your Meat" on YouTube. I know it's really hard to watch, but it's essential, ignorance is not always bliss! It's awesome that you are even considering becoming vegetarian, and I hope you'll make the best choice for your health and the animals. :)

I'm amazed you seem to care so much about the ethical treatment of animals but seem to care so little about the ethical treatment of the human being you are advising here - the OP.

If you want to make the argument that vegetarianism is a good thing to do on an ethical basis then cool beans.

However trying to effectively scaremonger the OP into doing it when it may not be appropriate for her physiologically but especially psychologically given her previous eating history is not on.

I'm sure you mean well but being able to advise people properly means putting your personal beliefs and biases to one side and assessing the person before you critically to find the correct solutions to their issues depending on their situation.

Thank you for putting this far more eloquently than I was doing last night. My irritation caused an articulation malfunction I think.
  • veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Although I am vegetarian (aspiring to be vegan) I don't think its necessary for weight loss. If you are going to do it for the animals thats great and I definitely encourage it :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't think she really went about it in the right way, but the girl talking about how vegetarian diets are healthier is in fact correct.

Which may very well be true (leaving aside confounding factors such as meat eaters are more likely to be smokers and partake in less exercise than vegetarians which then leads us to the question of whether it is the diet or the lifestyle or a mixture of both?"

However, the issue at the heart of this thread isn't "Is vegetarianism the healthiest human diet?" which does a disservice to the OP.

It is "Should vegetarianism be pushed as the right diet for the OP based on her history of disordered eating and the fact she is asking if she should blindly restrict her current consumption of meat and diary product based on the advice of two models in some book?"

I don't think it should. The"right" diet is one that secures good health outcomes for the OP, both physically and mentally, based on her individual attributes.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Hey babe! :) I became vegetarian 6 years ago after watching and reading about the various cruelties that animals are subjected to...just for our tastebuds. After I gave up eating meat and eggs, I lost 25 pounds, my body felt cleaner, and I felt better about myself knowing that I do not support the slaughter of those poor animals. Many people believe that animals are treated well at these "family farms", but it's a sad misconception, if you don't take my word, I suggest you watch the documentary "Meet Your Meat" on YouTube. I know it's really hard to watch, but it's essential, ignorance is not always bliss! It's awesome that you are even considering becoming vegetarian, and I hope you'll make the best choice for your health and the animals. :)

I'm amazed you seem to care so much about the ethical treatment of animals but seem to care so little about the ethical treatment of the human being you are advising here - the OP.

If you want to make the argument that vegetarianism is a good thing to do on an ethical basis then cool beans.

However trying to effectively scaremonger the OP into doing it when it may not be appropriate for her physiologically but especially psychologically given her previous eating history is not on.

I'm sure you mean well but being able to advise people properly means putting your personal beliefs and biases to one side and assessing the person before you critically to find the correct solutions to their issues depending on their situation.

Thank you for putting this far more eloquently than I was doing last night. My irritation caused an articulation malfunction I think.

I can understand your irritation.

I think you had the interests of the OP as the foremost concern in your advice above your own preferences and that must be the correct approach.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    *TW* Rape occurs in nature among other animals, but I sincerely doubt you'll find a sane person who thinks rape is ethical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Seriously? You're touting Ivy league? pfffft. Back to the studies for you.
    Total meat consumption was not significantly associated with colorectal cancer risk.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.10126/full

That's from the IJC, There are more, this was just the first I found. What you're missing is that your statement is wholly predicated on OVER consumption (which brings in other confounding variables) where you are assuming that research shows ANY consumption is an indicator of increased risk. That's simply not supported by the articles I've read. :)

Go forth and pubmed.

As I said, I'm not touting. I did say that it makes me sound like a jacka$$ to talk about it. But I was using my professor as the source, not me. I haven't done any research on meat consumption and cancer.

I just did.

Also a quote from the study I linked. "In recent meta-analyses of colorectal cancer that included studies published up to 2005 summary associations indicated that red meat intakes were associated with 28%–35% increased risks while processed meats were associated with elevated risks of 20%–49%."

Enjoy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/pubmed/24842864

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/pubmed/24847855

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/pubmed/23563998

And while obesity may be a confounding factor when looking at general population studies, it's been found to be associated regardless of BMI.

Can't access any of those links so no idea what the studies are about.

ETA: I don't know what it is with ALL your links. I either need a password to access or they come back as a bad gateway. I wonder if the internet is just saying "don't even bother. Not worth it." :laugh: