Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Give up breakfast.

At least delay it by three hours.

You'll survive on water alone.

Promise.

To each his own but I never ate breakfast before and that's when I gained all my weight. I didn't eat much before noon. Now I have a big, nutrient dense breakfast every day which makes me less susceptible to munchies and cravings during the day. Lost 15 lbs so far. Huh.
  • ARoe9410
    ARoe9410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The OP is trying to give up a bad habit - the habit of mindless eating. That's a great goal!
    I will join you with giving up reaching for a snack when I am stressed out. Instead I will grab my little notebook I bought and write down what's bothering me.
    Good luck to us on our way to great health!!

Thank you and good luck to you too!
  • ahbooker
    ahbooker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I understand and agree with you!:smile:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The OP is trying to give up a bad habit - the habit of mindless eating. That's a great goal!
    I will join you with giving up reaching for a snack when I am stressed out. Instead I will grab my little notebook I bought and write down what's bothering me.

It's not "mindless" if you account for it accordingly... not everyone who enjoys a cupcake is a uncontrollable tardbucket.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    I tries and I tries but mano-omano it always turns into a cup and a 1/2 and I think I am more tired of trying to enjoy just a little taste of something then I am of letting it go. I have done it before and I did't die so I think if I dont let my life revolve around the 1/2 cup of Ice cream then I can have just a tad more steak at dinner. I try to moderate with out giving up on some things but sometime I believe out of sight out of mind is for me easier and I do not believe it has ruined my life yet. :drinker:

^this
    I cannot be satisfied with just 2 oreo cookies, or just a little bit of ice cream. Eating more of these treats means I will have less calories left for when I get hungry. It is much easier for me to give it up completely than it is to tease myself with little tastes here or there, or be hungry a few hours later because I used up all my daily calories on ice cream and or oreos.

I have given up several things - without regret. I do occasionally have ice cream but only once in a very blue moon. I have not had a soda for a month - drinking all those calories did nothing but make me anxious and hungry....and I'd then over eat. I don't miss Dr. Pepper at all (I do not like diet soda, so that's not an option.) When I want fizz I get a seltzer water with lemon and it's delicious when it's ice cold.

SO things I've given up in exchange for eating more satisfying nutrient rich foods: Oreos, ice cream (mostly), soda (100%). Donuts - I love Krispy Kreme donuts but the calories are JUST not worth it to me. Not at all. Maybe when I'm maintaining and have a few more calories to play with during the day.

Since giving these things up for 30 days, I do not want Dr Pepper anymore even though I used to ache for it when I didn't have it ...I do not want to stop for donuts. I buy Oreos for the kids and do not have them.

You can break addictions/desires for things if you want. If you are satisfied by eating only a limited amount...or you can get through the day after spending calories on something that is less nutritious, good for you. I really see no point however in poo-pooing someone's decision to stop eating or drinking something that is not helping them lose or maintain their weight.
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would say pizza but...

rick-astely.gif

And this is why I keep you!
  • wizzybeth
    Options

It's not "mindless" if you account for it accordingly... not everyone who enjoys a cupcake is a uncontrollable tardbucket.

Who said they were? Really? Who did?
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I give up giving things up because it isn't necessary.

^^^Church!!! Now to the OP and others doing this. There is nothing wrong with it if you need to give up something to create a caloric deficit. You can figure out how to have those things and still create a deficit later. Good for you.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Who said they were? Really? Who did?

I did :) It was a classic example of hyperbole on the "mindless" eating comment.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I give up giving things up because it isn't necessary.

I respectfully disagree. In theory it's nice to believe that no one should have to give up anything in order to be successful in their weight loss, however, some people recognize that there are things they need to get rid of completely in order to succeed because they've tried doing them in moderation in the past, but it hasn't worked. Also, if someone is currently at a plateau, getting rid of one of those nagging bad habits, can jump start their weight loss again, which is always a plus :smile:

If by "things" you mean bad habits, such as laziness, procrastination, excuse-making, then yes, I agree those habits need to change in order to be successful.

If by "things" you mean food, I stand by my original statement.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

you're missing the point. this doesnt apply to you, cool. for some, moderation simply doesnt work for certain foods and the best option is to temporarily cut them out as to avoid overeating or a binge.

im giving up booze for august, just to see how it goes. if i lose 5+ lbs ill stick it out another month or two
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

you're missing the point. this doesnt apply to you, cool. for some, moderation simply doesnt work for certain foods and the best option is to temporarily cut them out as to avoid overeating or a binge.

im giving up booze for august, just to see how it goes. if i lose 5+ lbs ill stick it out another month or two

(Moderation can apply to anyone, except maybe an alcoholic or drug addict)
  • BigT555
    Options

i agree, it can. doesnt make it better or easier than omitting something entirely. if i have a chip, im gonna want another chip, and another, and another. once i get the taste of one chip, the cravings get pretty intense. but hey, if i dont eat a chip, no craving. so why not avoid that temptation to eat a second and a third by omitting the first? moderation is a good strategy but if having a certain food increases the cravings for it, it can be counter-productive

maybe only binge eaters can relate, i dont know. but this is something that actually significantly helps with specific cravings
  • ARoe9410
    Options
    I tries and I tries but mano-omano it always turns into a cup and a 1/2 and I think I am more tired of trying to enjoy just a little taste of something then I am of letting it go. I have done it before and I did't die so I think if I dont let my life revolve around the 1/2 cup of Ice cream then I can have just a tad more steak at dinner. I try to moderate with out giving up on some things but sometime I believe out of sight out of mind is for me easier and I do not believe it has ruined my life yet. :drinker:

^this
    I cannot be satisfied with just 2 oreo cookies, or just a little bit of ice cream. Eating more of these treats means I will have less calories left for when I get hungry. It is much easier for me to give it up completely than it is to tease myself with little tastes here or there, or be hungry a few hours later because I used up all my daily calories on ice cream and or oreos.

I have given up several things - without regret. I do occasionally have ice cream but only once in a very blue moon. I have not had a soda for a month - drinking all those calories did nothing but make me anxious and hungry....and I'd then over eat. I don't miss Dr. Pepper at all (I do not like diet soda, so that's not an option.) When I want fizz I get a seltzer water with lemon and it's delicious when it's ice cold.

SO things I've given up in exchange for eating more satisfying nutrient rich foods: Oreos, ice cream (mostly), soda (100%). Donuts - I love Krispy Kreme donuts but the calories are JUST not worth it to me. Not at all. Maybe when I'm maintaining and have a few more calories to play with during the day.

Since giving these things up for 30 days, I do not want Dr Pepper anymore even though I used to ache for it when I didn't have it ...I do not want to stop for donuts. I buy Oreos for the kids and do not have them.

You can break addictions/desires for things if you want. If you are satisfied by eating only a limited amount...or you can get through the day after spending calories on something that is less nutritious, good for you. I really see no point however in poo-pooing someone's decision to stop eating or drinking something that is not helping them lose or maintain their weight.

Great job on your progress, it's very inspiring!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

i agree, it can. doesnt make it better or easier than omitting something entirely. if i have a chip, im gonna want another chip, and another, and another. once i get the taste of one chip, the cravings get pretty intense. but hey, if i dont eat a chip, no craving. so why not avoid that temptation to eat a second and a third by omitting the first? moderation is a good strategy but if having a certain food increases the cravings for it, it can be counter-productive

maybe only binge eaters can relate, i dont know. but this is something that actually significantly helps with specific cravings

It's difficult to deal with, I agree, but a "dependency" it is not. The "must give this completely up to succeed" logic does not allow for a slip-up (if one would even would call it that). To slip-up would be to fail, and no one likes to fail. It's a tough mountain to climb as it is, so why make it more difficult than it needs to be?
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    I used to think of a slip up as a fail. And then I'd be all discouraged, I suck at this, I'm never going to overcome this, blah blah blah.

I got rid of that kind of thinking. I compare it to walking down the sidewalk and maybe slipping on something - tripping over an uneven sidewalk, perhaps. Does that mean I've failed and can't continue on my destination? Of course not. I can just go on. It may have caused me to lose a little time in getting to my destination, but it is NOT a "fail." It's only a fail if I stay there. So is it a fail to me if tonight I eat 2 cups of ice cream? No....

SO what's the harm if I drink a Dr. Pepper today? None, ultimately - except it will open up a floodgate of cravings that I have successfully gotten rid of.

I just *don't want it* anymore. It worked for me to give it up. If others can work a soda or a cup of ice cream or 5,000 twinkies into their daily intake and not hinder themselves, great. More power to them. I CAN'T DO IT. I have to give it up - otherwise I'm fighting with myself ALL DAY LONG.
  • ARoe9410
    Options

well said.
  • loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am Annie. I'm a nerd. I love anime, books, pokemon, doctor who and many other geeky things. I am 20 and going into my second year in college, I am doing a business course and I am hoping to be an accountant.
    I am going to give up pasta and bread.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Abstinence
  • BigT555
    Options

It's difficult to deal with, I agree, but a "dependency" it is not. The "must give this completely up to succeed" logic does not allow for a slip-up (if one would even would call it that). To slip-up would be to fail, and no one likes to fail. It's a tough mountain to climb as it is, so why make it more difficult than it needs to be?
    my point is that for certain people, trying to moderate certain foods makes it more difficult than cutting them out completely. never said it was a dependency either, just a strong urge to do so. its really dependent on the person, but for me cutting out foods was easier because i always had the "oh ill just have one more" mentality that was never ending, so one more turned into 10 more constantly i.e. failing to moderate. without the option to have it in the first place that secondary temptation is nonexistent

keep in mind this is all temporarily omission im talking. long term i completely agree its unrealistic. i cut out chips, candy and all beverages containing calories for the first month of dieting and i think its one of the best decisions ive made in relation to health and fitness to date. i literally never get cravings for anything i cut out for that month anymore, beforehand i couldnt walk into a variety store without leaving with a bag of chips. totally a factor of no self control, but that one month earned my self control back, and now i have no issues with moderating those foods