Two day full body strength training routine

Options

Replies

• FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    OP… Will you marry me? :love: Thank you!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping. If I were to adjust this a bit, I'd likely add in some form of auto regulation. Maybe simply leave the number of sets open ended. So on days you feel like poop, you can do less volume and on days you feel like superman/woman you can do more volume... essentially dialing your training dosage to your body's level of readiness on any given day.

Of course it also depends on the person. Some people need rigid guidelines. When they have an option to slack, they take it, and thus ultimately don't do enough work to fuel progress.

Hey Steve!

Just curious if you would introduce autoregulation right out of the gates on someone or would you interject that at a later point?

FWIW I'm on an autoregulated program and I love it, although I do occasionally face the challenge of remaining objective about my performance levels and balancing out reality vs ego and I think I've made a few mistakes in both directions in that regard. Still love it though, and I've gotten better at it as I go.

In general, I'd wait. In order to auto-regulate, you need to understand the variables you're regulating in the first place. How they feel when fresh, when not fresh, etc. Rigidity at first establishes a base line... though I'll always recommend rep ranges... even initially. So even with that there's some form of AR.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Nearly every strength routine I've found calls for a barbell and weights. I currently only have access to a home gym style machine (at my apartment complex's mini-gym) and hand weights from 2 pounds - 10 pounds each. I know free weights are better than a machine because they engage the stabilizing muscles and others, too, but for now, that isn't an option. Are there modifications you can recommend based on machine/hand weights only? I'm getting back into weights after a 20+ year vacation, so to speak. Thanks in advance!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Are bridges and hip thrusts as effective as deadlifts? Due to back issues deadlifts a big no for me. Similarly, are step ups as effective as squats?

Asking for a comparison of effectiveness between two lifts requires context. Effective for what? If you're talking about physique development, sufficed to say, you don't HAVE to squat and deadlift.

What back issues do you have?

If you want to deadlift and your doctor approves of it, you could experiment with sumo deadlifts. They allow for more of an upright stance, so less force across the spine. But obviously I don't know your particulars nor am I a doctor.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Nearly every strength routine I've found calls for a barbell and weights. I currently only have access to a home gym style machine (at my apartment complex's mini-gym) and hand weights from 2 pounds - 10 pounds each. I know free weights are better than a machine because they engage the stabilizing muscles and others, too, but for now, that isn't an option. Are there modifications you can recommend based on machine/hand weights only? I'm getting back into weights after a 20+ year vacation, so to speak. Thanks in advance!

Knowing the capabilities of the machine would be helpful. What all can it do?

But to answer your question... yeah, sure... between the machine, the small dumbbells, and your own body weight you could certainly whip something together that's useful.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    saving for reference
    thanks
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Are bridges and hip thrusts as effective as deadlifts? Due to back issues deadlifts a big no for me. Similarly, are step ups as effective as squats?

Asking for a comparison of effectiveness between two lifts requires context. Effective for what? If you're talking about physique development, sufficed to say, you don't HAVE to squat and deadlift.

If you want to deadlift and your doctor approves of it, you could experiment with sumo deadlifts. They allow for more of an upright stance, so less force across the spine. But obviously I don't know your particulars nor am I a doctor.

Mostly physique development and strength. I was in an accident a few years back that left me with scar tissue very close to the spine, any movement that includes bending forward or pushing with both legs and a weight leaves me bed bound for over a month. My doctor allows any exercise that does not include bending forward like deadlifts, squats, crunches, leg presses, rowing machine.. etc, basically anything that puts resistance on the lower back.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The machine itself has the overhead bar, side handles that lock into place and can be used like a bench press bar or separately for flies or press. It can do leg extension and curls, rowing, so the part that does the row and pulls can be used for arm curls, etc., also. The chain extension is missing (for standing leg lifts and such), but it has the velcro loop (for putting around your arm or leg and the bar as used in rowing, etc. I can get the model of it when I am home later, if that would help (or take a picture of the exercise chart that comes with it (the seat part has adjustable heights, the back of the seat can be adjusted to 4 different angles, as can the seat-back on the leg portion.

Or perhaps better explanation - the exercises I had written down from the board were Chest: Straight Press, Inward Press, Flies, and Crossover. Biceps: Curls, Single Arm, Wrist. Triceps: Push back, extension, press. Shoulders: Direct (Pull?), Inward (again, pull?), Flies, Upright Row, Lateral Raise. Mid/Torso: crunches, Leg Raise, Side Bends (both harder without the chain extension). Back: Wide Pulldown, Reverse Close Pulldown, Seated Row, Chest Supported Row, Single Arm Row. Legs: Extension, Curls, Kick-Outer, Kick-Inner, Kick Back (don't think can do without chain). This wasn't all of them, and it was missing an extension or something that would have allowed calf raise, calf extension, and leg press...

Thanks for putting the thought into this! Most everyone hasn't had concrete suggestions for using the machine.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    good list.

any suggestions for what to replace any overhead weight movements with? bad shoulder = no weights overhead. for example, i can get a bar on my back to squat, i just can't do repetitive movements - like overhead presses.

i'm having a hard time coming up with a rotation for upper body without overhead... and i don't really care for machines (if i can help it). pulldown bar is iffy - if too heavy, it can sublax my shoulder too. ugh.
  • stroutman81
    Options

Mostly physique development and strength. I was in an accident a few years back that left me with scar tissue very close to the spine, any movement that includes bending forward or pushing with both legs and a weight leaves me bed bound for over a month. My doctor allows any exercise that does not include bending forward like deadlifts, squats, crunches, leg presses, rowing machine.. etc, basically anything that puts resistance on the lower back.

Geez, that's a pretty gnarly injury and the repercussions of doing these types of exercises are so not worth it. I imagine it difficult to avoid stressing the lower back. Is it solely spinal flexion that triggers it or is it force across the lower back in general? For example, if you did a seated row with proper form where there's no rounding of the lower back, yet there's a lot of force involved as you resist spinal flexion... would that present a problem?

Just curious, is all.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    The machine itself has the overhead bar, side handles that lock into place and can be used like a bench press bar or separately for flies or press. It can do leg extension and curls, rowing, so the part that does the row and pulls can be used for arm curls, etc., also. The chain extension is missing (for standing leg lifts and such), but it has the velcro loop (for putting around your arm or leg and the bar as used in rowing, etc. I can get the model of it when I am home later, if that would help (or take a picture of the exercise chart that comes with it (the seat part has adjustable heights, the back of the seat can be adjusted to 4 different angles, as can the seat-back on the leg portion.

Or perhaps better explanation - the exercises I had written down from the board were Chest: Straight Press, Inward Press, Flies, and Crossover. Biceps: Curls, Single Arm, Wrist. Triceps: Push back, extension, press. Shoulders: Direct (Pull?), Inward (again, pull?), Flies, Upright Row, Lateral Raise. Mid/Torso: crunches, Leg Raise, Side Bends (both harder without the chain extension). Back: Wide Pulldown, Reverse Close Pulldown, Seated Row, Chest Supported Row, Single Arm Row. Legs: Extension, Curls, Kick-Outer, Kick-Inner, Kick Back (don't think can do without chain). This wasn't all of them, and it was missing an extension or something that would have allowed calf raise, calf extension, and leg press...

Thanks for putting the thought into this! Most everyone hasn't had concrete suggestions for using the machine.

Would you mind taking a couple of pictures of it and emailing them to me? You can send them to stroutman81@gmail.com.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Looks good!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    good list.

any suggestions for what to replace any overhead weight movements with? bad shoulder = no weights overhead. for example, i can get a bar on my back to squat, i just can't do repetitive movements - like overhead presses.

i'm having a hard time coming up with a rotation for upper body without overhead... and i don't really care for machines (if i can help it). pulldown bar is iffy - if too heavy, it can sublax my shoulder too. ugh.

I would simply focus on horizontal pushing and pulling movements. You don't NEED vertical stuff... especially if they are contraindicated for a specific injury. Assuming you can get away with horizontal stuff, there are endless options available there with all the push up variations, bench press variations, row variations, etc.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Geez, that's a pretty gnarly injury and the repercussions of doing these types of exercises are so not worth it. I imagine it difficult to avoid stressing the lower back. Is it solely spinal flexion that triggers it or is it force across the lower back in general? For example, if you did a seated row with proper form where there's no rounding of the lower back, yet there's a lot of force involved as you resist spinal flexion... would that present a problem?

Just curious, is all.

Both cause pain, but it's the combination of both like in a deadlift that makes it debilitating (both a flexed muscle and hinging). I may be able to do a seated row, but the pain would hinder my development by a big degree since raising both legs alone without a weight is painful. I can do things like supermans which does cause pain but it's very temporary and not as bad and I'm fine as soon as I'm done. They flex the back muscle but it's different from leg presses or leg raises. Same goes for planks which even though they flex the muscles it's different. It's kind of hard to explain. Think of it as a combination of degenerative disk and disk herniation, what aggravates either causes pain, including prolonged sitting.

I'm able to get around that with movements that alternate legs like step ups and movements where the main stressing point is glutes and core like bridges (which also controls for hyper-extension of the back)

In daily life I can bend forward, but not repeatedly and not with a weight. Most of the times when I need to pick something up or off the ground I need to get down on one knee, and to get out of bed I can't just sit up - I need to roll on my stomach, perform a yoga pose maneuver of cobra to table to get on all four and climb down.

The pain is chronic but usually moderate and does not go severe unless I move wrong. It's been around for 8 years so I'm used to intuitively modify my movements to accommodate. My daily life is in no way impacted, but when I told the doctor about my desire to develop muscle he said I will be very limited in my choices. It makes me sad and I'm looking for alternatives.

Edit: confused a seated row with seated leg raises or crunches, don't know what it's called, but it's this machine where you sit and raise a weight with your legs. I imagine a seated row would be absolutely fine if it does not involve too many reps (sitting for too long) and if does not involve too much pushing with the legs or bending forward like in a rowing machine. It would probably involve temporary pain like supermans. Static flexing or flexing with a backward movement is absolutely fine.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Bump for awesomeness :-)
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    bump. hmmm...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Would you mind taking a couple of pictures of it and emailing them to me? You can send them to stroutman81@gmail.com.

I will do so! Thank you.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Bump! Awesome post.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I sent the pictures a few weeks ago...did you ever get them?