How fast do YOU run?

Options

Replies

• _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    And I have to call <cough cough bull**** cough cough> on the girl running 5:30 mile AVERAGES. As in this is her everyday training pace......umm no. Straight up no.

Ignore that OP. That is crazier than Tom Cruise on a couch.

Or Jeptoo passing a train

rita-jeptoo.gif

That's what 5:18 min/mile for 26.2 miles looks like. :love: :love: :love:
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n3m99zIlPz1su6zr6o3_400.gif
    20fa8-tumblr_n3m99zilpz1su6zr6o4_400.gif
    tumblr_n3m99zIlPz1su6zr6o5_400.gif

I just checked and my average running pace is about a 9:30 mile.

Lol, I LOVE that scene!!!!
  • sk8trchk
    sk8trchk Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the couch to 5K program. In week 5 it tells you to run 3/4 mile in 8 minutes. I finished 8 minutes and knew I was no were close to 3/4 mile. So I started to using map my run to see how far I run and how fast I am going. It is usually around 14 min mile but yesterday I finished that first mile in 12:45. I guess I am getting faster and maybe I will go that 3/4 mile in 8 minutes... one day!
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I run anywhere between 6 and 15 minute miles depending on my goals (and if my dog's with me!). I probably average 8-10 minute miles depending on the season. I run faster if I'm seriously training for an event; I run slower when I'm just getting some exercise & clearing my mind.

Right now I'm focused on running a faster 5K, so I'm working on maintaining speed over distance. My goal is to run 5K under 20 minutes, but my training is not good enough yet to see those results (current best is just over 23 min). I find that I get faster when I mix up my speed instead of falling into a steady pace. One block is 11 min mile, one block is 7 min mile, one block is 12 min mile, one block is 6:30 min mile, two blocks are 8 min miles, etc. If I was focused on more endurance, I'd pick one of my slower paces & try to maintain it for longer.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    I average a 5-6 minute mile!

One time I ran a 5:35 mile. I nearly collapsed after. I was coughing up a storm for 12 hours after.

I wish I could average 5-6 min miles

Hell, I wish I could run ONE 5-6 minute mile....

Agreed!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what anybody else runs, and as others have said, pace varies depending on what your doing. Race pace and recovery pace are two totally different things. My recovery pace is about 6 minutes per mile slower than my mile race pace.

Just go out there and run, build slowly, be consistent, and you'll see you pace improve.
    Faster than yesterday, and not as fast as tomorrow.

Best answer.

It's a cute answer, but unfortunately not true in running. Improvement is not linear.

If only! I find that my PB is getting slower as the years roll by. That's probably partially added distance and partially age, but it is the sad truth. My fastest average used to be right around a 10mm, and now I'm about 12:30.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I year ago, I was gasping for breaths after stretching a single into a double (about 120 feet) in rec softball. I was running full miles November at 11 min. I'm just under 8 min now for a mile run, which I attribute to running hills. I pace 8:30 for a 5K.

25 years ago, I ran a mile in 6:30 in PE. Got to get my youth back.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    5.0 mph / 12 min mi
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure yet. I use a treadmill and it's in kilometres, and I'm currently on week 5 of C25K. So it's 15 minutes running at 7kph and 15 minutes walking at 6kph. So my end distance is about 3.25.
    I'll have to see how far I go after running half an hour straight :)
  • basketball4Jesus
    basketball4Jesus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My pace when I first started was around 9 minutes. Now it is about 7-7:30 depending on the distance. The longer I go, the faster I get; my first mile is like 8:30 minutes and then every mile after gets a little faster until I plateau and the pace I'll keep for the rest of the run.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of different backgrounds here,

When I was in track in high school, well, i don't remember my times, but fast I guess.

When I decided to run a marathon? 9-10 min miles

When I decided to get serious about the ball game? Paces split depending on workouts. About 8:10-8:20 for long runs, 8:30-9 for recovery runs, 6:45-7 for tempo runs, 6ish for intervals.

All time PRs are different than what I could run on the average day. Plus, times will vary based on what I'm training for. Ultra training? Totally different from 5ks. Hell, my technical PR for 5k is in the 16s, but no way I could run that on my current training.

So anyways, a lot of people will say different things based on their background and goals.

I call BS on the girl who is consistently training at 5:30 though. For 400s? Maybe. Either that or she's going to Rio.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Just finished C25K. My first 'official' 5K run (by which I mean a GPS-tracked, no walk regular exercise run) averaged 9.5-9.8 min/mile. I was neither pushing myself, nor putzing around. Seems to be my natural 'easy run' pace.

That was outside in 90+% humidity and 80+F temps. I probably would've been a tad faster if I hadn't been so damn hot.

Wish I could have compared to today's run, which would have been 0.5-1 mile farther, but I ran on an indoor track that completely foxes my tracking apps.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My fastest ever 5K was 7min/mile pace.

I try to do 8-9 min/mile normally. Good balance between cardio and wanting to burn enough calories.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    *sigh* not as fast as I used to :cry:
  • psjoholm
    psjoholm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a big guy, at just under 300lbs, and 6'3". I started to jog/walk a 2.4 mile park, with hills, about 3 weeks ago. At first, I could barely walk it at about 18 min per mile. After every other day practice, I am now down to 13:18 per mile, with the first mile being a little under 13. It only gets easier for sure. I am hoping to get to a point that I can jog the whole thing and get below 12min before middle of September....I want to attempt a 5K before the summer is up.

One word of advice, make sure you have the right running shoes, they make the world of a difference:)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I only do 5K trail races, up and down mountains at about 5,000 feet elevation. My last time was 9:55 ish mile. I don't run flat races so I can't really translate.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    When I started out 15 min mile was my best. After a few years you learn to relax and enjoy yourself. It takes the pressure off. Just remember it is not how fast you run but that you are running. Do not compare yourself to others -- there is always someone out there that is faster. Just keep going at whatever pace you are reaching for
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used to run back in 2010 and got lazy and picked it back up this past March. On my first run I did a 3 miler on a wintery cold day and it took me about 38 minutes. So I was doing 12-13 minutes per mile.

Right now on a good day I do 10:30 minutes per mile. On slower days I do 11:30 minutes per mile.

I am training for a marathon. I, too, focus on endurance and distance rather than speed. I'd like to get to 10 minutes per mile or 9:30. My longest run is now 18 miles.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I only do 5K trail races, up and down mountains at about 5,000 feet elevation. My last time was 9:55 ish mile. I don't run flat races so I can't really translate.

D.A.M.N.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I started running in January through a local running store. When we did the 5k in late April I was at 50 minutes for 3.1 miles at 285 pounds. Most races in the months following were between 50 and 53 min. (roughly 17mm)

I am in my second session with the running store and most days I am averaging between 15:30 and 16mm at 273 pounds

I am also training for my first half in mid September which will be run/walk intervals just to have the race and associated distance under my belt.

My current training is a long run/walk on Sunday, 3-4 miles on Tuesdays with a pretty decent hill, intervals on Wed, 3-4 miles mostly flat on Thurs and intervals on Sat. I have found the hills and the longer distance are helping my shorter run pace. My long run pace is still about 17mm but again that has walking in it

Good luck and keep running. You will get where you want to be. I'd like to get there too and I know as I continue to run and lose weight I will get to 10mm. That's my end goal.