tricep strength training for women

Options
any recommendations? gotta get rid of a lot of excess fat and flab hanging off my arms

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    any recommendations? gotta get rid of a lot of excess fat and flab hanging off my arms
    Tricep kickbacks. I lost 3 inches off my arms in the first 6 weeks doing those 3x/week.
    My arms are getting stronger and I can definitely see the results.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Tricep kickbacks. I lost 3 inches off my arms in the first 6 weeks doing those 3x/week.

hell yeah that's awesome i'll give it a try!
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    These are great for your triceps...
    92YEC9f.gif
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce

That. Also, you can do whatever a man does for tricep strength training. Muscle just makes it look better once you lose the fat. Lying or overhead triceps extensions and skullcrushers are good. Then you have to work the rest of your muscles, too.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    These are great for your triceps...
    92YEC9f.gif

:laugh:
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

ummm try using some common sense. As someone said you can't spot reduce, meaning you can't say "hey i want the fat from this part of my body gone." This makes sense doesn't it? If it was possible people would be walking around with 6 packs, fat legs and arms...

oh wow so theres no such thing as toning huh?
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    you cant spot reduce

That. Also, you can do whatever a man does for tricep strength training. Muscle just makes it look better once you lose the fat. Lying or overhead triceps extensions and skullcrushers are good. Then you have to work the rest of your muscles, too.

mmk that's what I was lookin for thank ya :)
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    is this why i see so many overweight ( i can say because i'm also overweight :laugh: ) women in my gym doing a zillion tricep kickbacks with 3 pound weights at my gym?

and before anyone says anything smart yes i am nosey and i watch between my sets (on non tricep kickback stuff). my gym doesnt get too many womenfolk in the weight room and being the social creature that i am i want to make gym buddies.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

ummm try using some common sense. As someone said you can't spot reduce, meaning you can't say "hey i want the fat from this part of my body gone." This makes sense doesn't it? If it was possible people would be walking around with 6 packs, fat legs and arms...

nicole-scherzinger-no-baby-no.gif
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Kickbacks, skull crushers, etc. There are no "for women" strength moves. I do P90X. The shoulders and arms workout is one of my favorites. No, P90X will not make you bulky.

Really though, lifting won't do much for appearances without overall fat loss, but lifting certainly can help with overall fat loss. Since I started lifting my weight has stayed fairly stable, but my body fat has dropped significantly and I look much slimmer.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

You "tone" by losing fat. Nothing about triceps kickbacks will help you lose fat on your triceps.

The person who claimed to lose 3" by doing tricep kickbacks is either lying or stupid. Any fat lost on your triceps (or anywhere else) is a result of eating fewer calories than you burn.

By all means feel free to do kickbacks (although dips are better)-- you might as well build some muscle on your triceps. But it's not going to help your fat loss much.
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    is this why i see so many overweight ( i can say because i'm also overweight :laugh: ) women in my gym doing a zillion tricep kickbacks with 3 pound weights at my gym?

and before anyone says anything smart yes i am nosey and i watch between my sets (on non tricep kickback stuff). my gym doesnt get too many womenfolk in the weight room and being the social creature that i am i want to make gym buddies.

lol i suppose so. i was using measly five pound weights just doing curls and you'd be surprised how quickly i began to see definition. i still have a longgggg way to go but i just wanna make sure everything stays tight in the process :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Women should train the same way men do.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/10/muscle/triceps

You can't spot reduce the fat or extra skin. Losing fat is like drying out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest is still wet.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Women should train the same way men do.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/10/muscle/triceps

You can't spot reduce the fat or extra skin. Losing fat is like drying out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest is still wet.

I was about to link your "So you want a nice stomach" post, just because of that sponge reference. And now I'm doing it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1391018-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Tricep pushups, tricep dips off a bench, pull ups, tricep overhead presses, skull crushers. You'll see a lot of improvement just doing tricep push ups and dips off a bench or couch~it's more resistance than a 5 lb dumbbell on a kickback.