Who made you become overweight?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• aprilmommy06
    aprilmommy06 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My mom for sure. I remember hitting 200 pounds at 12. No one else to blame at that age other than the parents. She knew nothing about eating healthy and we constantly consumed crap. As an adult I've learns a lot and have spent years trying to get to a normal weight, yet I'm still 50 pounds more than I want to be even though I'm desperately trying.
  • Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I obviously know that ultimately I put the food in my mouth. So obviously me

But do you think that your childhood homelife and parents contribute to you being overweight as you get older? Like when you see a fat child ? Or parents who aren't educated in what and how to cook?

Or maybe partners who eat badly? Or do you just think its all your fault for eating too much?

Just curious:)
    I think its a bad idea to start doing the "blame game" and deny personal responsibility.

I think its a bad idea to not read what I wrote in the first place.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been obese since childhood, however, I am the one responsible for my current weight.

- My mom worked most of the time when I was a young kid, so we had take-out or fast food quite often and I developed a taste for it.
    - I learned the unhealthy example of going to food to soothe myself, and boy did I need A LOT of soothing as a teenager! :laugh:

HOWEVER, since becoming an adult, I've gradually learned healthier ways to eat and cope. NOW, I need to stay on the wagon. :wink:
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bad habits as a kid. My mum loves me to death but I do believe some choices that she made have affected me. I was always eating cheap freezer meals, or tinned meats (can't think of anything worse now). Never liked healthy food, but managed to stay fairly slim. Met my partner, ate like crazy, formed even worse habits and now I'm 5st overweight, but I WILL get it off!

In comparison, my sister has had kids who she is bringing up as vegan. Their diets are utterly flawless, you can't even force them to eat sweets or processed foods, they just hate the taste & texture because they're not used to it, and they've never been ill. It's going to be pretty hard for them to grow up and develop bad eating habits when they've had such a good start at life.
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    As a kid, the blame fell on my dad, but it's not blame to me, exactly, I just don't have another word for it. My mom died from anorexia/bulimia when I was a year old and as a result I think that really scared him and he openly admits that he fed me all the time, way too much from a very young age. I'm 28 now though and my weight has been 100% on me since I was a teenager.
  • alakafi
    alakafi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I blame my father he kept forcing me to have dinner with him again and again
    And eat with him all the day

I was very thin and healthy but whatever
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Me

I come from a slim, healthy family. I was slim, healthy, athletic as a child and teen. I have some kind of body dysmorphia where I still see a healthy looking body when I look in the mirror :wink: Basically I was overly confident and then became lazy and self-indulgent. My sister once said a bad experience I had with a stranger at a party was the cusp of my weight-gain but I think that's looking for excuses for me.

So it was me and my lazy-*kitten* ways
  • echo2
    echo2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My sister was anorexic, was in hospital for a good period of time when I was little. My parents (consciously or subconsciously, I don't know) kind of overcompensated with me, always encouraged when I would eat.
    But, that was then, and I'm still fat now despite living on my own for quite a while. So in the end, it was me.
  • Eidson50
    Eidson50 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I could honestly write a book about things that happened to me when I was a child. I choose not to be a victim. I made me fat. I am the only one who can make myself not fat. Every time I feel the need to binge eat I tell myself I'm not letting someone who did something terrible to me in my past win.
  • meghan_lovely
    meghan_lovely Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I blame myself currently for not making healthy eating and exercising always a priority. However I know I gave a tough road ahead because both of my parents are overweight and I have definitely inherited those genes. My husband and I eat very similarly and he manages a healthy weight....I just know it is something I will always have to work at.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ultimately I made me fat, but I did have a very difficult first marriage (daily violence) and I never had any money; I used to get £11.08 a week Child Benefit and I spent that on my baby, but I ate whatever I could pinch from shops or if I walked for an hour to my mum's I would have dinner with them, I never told Mum what was going on, so she can't be blamed for not rescuing me and my daughter.....

Due to my experiences in my first marriage I had developed a habit of secret eating, stuffing myself silly whenever I got the chance and no one was about; I finally faced my demons in November 2012 and told my family the truth and confessed that I was a secret eater, from that moment on I have gradually stopped secret eating and my ticker is proof of how far I have come since then....

I didn't need to secret eat once I split up from my first husband (in July 1998) but it took me until November 2012 to actually realise this....

xXx
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately me. Once I got married I compared my eating with my husband instead of with my girlfriends, and he can eat way more calories than I can. I've had plenty of time to fix this, but haven't.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    looks in mirror
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    At first my parents. I remember as a child being picked up from preschool on Fridays and going to McDonalds right after our errands were done. We have always had pizza or subs on Fridays (still true to this day), but my mom cooked Saturday-Wednesday (Thursday was her bowling night and we were left to frozen dinners). Mornings, however, were a different story. Breakfast during the week was either cereal or Pop-Tarts, Saturdays were donuts, and Sunday was our treat of a homemade breakfast (or sometimes more donuts). I was never very active as a kid due to muscular problems in my leg, so it started adding up.

But now? The blame is all on me. I ate more and moved less.