Be Smart... don't fall for Fads and scams :)

Options

Replies

• BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    "Overall a good message and this site frequently promotes the same views, but the highlighted portion is wrong. You don' t have to eat clean to be fit or healthy. "

hmm.... you got me curious psulemon, How do you figure that you don't have to eat clean to be fit and healthy? I am genuinely curious. I'm not saying it has to be all the time, but eating processed, "fake" foods if you will does not fuel the body the way natural foods do. While some people can eat Mac n Cheese, candy, chips, and processed meats... that doesn't mean they are healthy even if the appear it on the outside. Clean eating in my opinion is very important, however so is exercise, sleep, hydration, and having indulgences now and then (For body and mind haha).
    im in full agreement with you. people here too often take "you can eat whatever and lose weight" to mean "you can eat whatever and be healthy". you'll hear that you dont need to eat healthy here quite frequently

theres also the unclear definition of healthy or clean foods to be considered but i think for the most part its obvious whats healthy and what isnt

Can I get a HELL YEAH??!! I was having a similar argument on a thread yesterday, with core question of whether to weigh and measure food. Most don't seem to agree to. "I ate what I wanted and didn't measure and I lost weight" Bully for you, but as you look at the most successful people with a healthy loss at a steady rate, with the best chance of maintaining, there is a common denominator. They don't fight with the main recipe to a healthy weight and body. From what I gather it is:

1. Find your TDEE and use it to figure weight loss, gain or maintenance.
    2. Hit your macros and figured calories for your goal
    3. Buy whole foods and make it yourself most of the time
    4. Measure most of what you eat until you gain a good handle on your portions (or like heavy handed me, forever)
    5. Exercise for speed, strength, mobility, endurance, and looking good if that's your thing. Not necessarily to lose weight.
    6. Do not fall for quick or temporary fixes.

Boom! Done! Simple as that.

Can you lose on pills, cleanses, body treatment, flushes and/or junk food in small quantities? Sure. But you lie to yourself if you think your body is going to be in its most healthy state if you go about it like that. Plus the higher likelihood of being "skinny fat" or regaining what you lost.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    And this...

is why you shouldn't take nutritional advice from PTs.
  • BetterKimmer
    Options
    If someone says "clean" diet, I generally assume they mean the following (unless, of course, they've specified that there is a reason to exclude one or more of the following):

lean meats, a variety of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, dairy, and whole grains.

However, for someone to immediately demonize any "unclean" or "junk" foods is a little unfair. Many people consider ice cream as "junk food" but I make it myself at home with cream, whole milk, sugar and vanilla extract. Not a single one of those ingredients is considered not "clean" and the only additional processing (you know, after milking the cow, pasteurizing the milk, refining the sugar from cane sugar, extracting the vanilla from vanilla beans...) is the freezing process in the ice cream maker. This is why I don't really pay much attention to people demonizing many "junk" foods off the top without a complete dietary profile.

I personally don't keep many "processed" foods in the house other than things like steel cut oats (processed - I don't just get a bunch of freshly cut oat from a field someplace and do it myself) and make treats from scratch. Does that mean I eat "cleaner" than other people who have other kinds of treats sometimes? No. Does that mean I eat less "clean" than people who never have treats? No. The only major difference is I don't tend to have many artificial preservatives other than refrigeration and that's mainly because my family just finds that homemade treats taste better.

Perfectly put. Not 100% of everything you consume has to be "clean". Just COMMON SENSE choosing how much, how often and how junky the unclean stuff is.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Like I said, tell yourself what you want. Nobody is taking your crack....er...I mean "junk food" away from you. Take it easy. Nobody's gonna make you go to rehab.

I bet you're glad that bacon isn't processed, right?

Never said anything about "processed," but thanks for playing. Reading comprehension.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Can I get a HELL YEAH??!! I was having a similar argument on a thread yesterday, with core question of whether to weigh and measure food. Most don't seem to agree to. "I ate what I wanted and didn't measure and I lost weight" Bully for you, but as you look at the most successful people with a healthy loss at a steady rate, with the best chance of maintaining, there is a common denominator. They don't fight with the main recipe to a healthy weight and body. From what I gather it is:

1. Find your TDEE and use it to figure weight loss, gain or maintenance.
    2. Hit your macros and figured calories for your goal
    3. Buy whole foods and make it yourself most of the time
    4. Measure most of what you eat until you gain a good handle on your portions (or like heavy handed me, forever)
    5. Exercise for speed, strength, mobility, endurance, and looking good if that's your thing. Not necessarily to lose weight.
    6. Do not fall for quick or temporary fixes.

Boom! Done! Simple as that.

Can you lose on pills, cleanses, body treatment, flushes and/or junk food in small quantities? Sure. But you lie to yourself if you think your body is going to be in its most healthy state if you go about it like that. Plus the higher likelihood of being "skinny fat" or regaining what you lost.

Let's not confuse an approach that works with an approach that is arguably optimal. Not everyone is training for the Olympics.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Like I said, tell yourself what you want. Nobody is taking your crack....er...I mean "junk food" away from you. Take it easy. Nobody's gonna make you go to rehab.

Never said anything about "processed," but thanks for playing. Reading comprehension.
    Maybe you can practice your reading skills on the forum guidelines.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

MyFitnessPal Site-wide Community Guidelines

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others.
  • BetterKimmer
    Options
    which is why i never understand why you hear that eating healthy or "clean" isnt important for general health.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone say you don't need to eat nutrient dense foods for your health. EVER. I have seen them say it's unimportant for weight loss. I think that's where the controversy comes in but they're not saying you shouldn't eat those foods. A good example of the "clean" problem is the lunch I just had. I ate an egg salad sandwich on whole wheat bread with a side of grape tomatoes. In my opinion, a decent lunch. But it wasn't "clean" by some definitions because I had bread and there was Miracle Whip in the egg salad. I don't think there was anything wrong with my lunch (feel free to share if you believe otherwise LOL) but to someone trying their heart out to eat clean, such a simple little meal is "wrong." And that's where people warn of unsustainability. Because a lot of people will get caught up in trying to eat perfectly and feel like giving up when they eat a "bad" food. All people are saying is that we should stop trying to meet some definition of "clean," eat nutrient dense food most of the time and not freak out about having some "junk" in our diet, even on a regular basis.

Very well put. I say "whole" foods just because it's easier to say or type than "nutrient dense" foods. But, then again, I can be lazy. And I really am over hearing the words" Clean Eating", even if it is a fairly good guideline for repairing poor dietary habits. Said it before, say it again; How about common sense eating the majority of the time. The good ol' 80/20 rule works wonders.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You may not be saying it, but plenty on your side of this argument are...

...but I'll play along.

How do you define "junk food"?

Can a person eat any amount of "junk food" (as defined by you) and still be optimally healthy? If so, what is that amount?
    Table sugar and high fructose corn syrup aren't good for you.

I guess those are a couple of your "junk foods". Do you truly believe that there is no amount of table sugar that is healthy? What exactly do you believe is special about table sugar that makes it inherently unhealthy?

Oh, and before you make that "everyone is so touchy" leap again, I am not even slightly agitated.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand this whole rant about "processing" foods. Are we talking about things like Twinkies or HoHos? How does this get expended to include potato chips and ice cream? One is just thin slivers of potato fried in oil and the other is cream, eggs and whatever flavours you want.

I had two Weetabix biscuits for breakfast this morning with whole milk and blueberries - they would be processed as they are in biscuit shape and packaged - are they "bad" for me?

I had ranch dressing with my broccoli, snap peas and cherry tomatoes - by definition processed.

I made dill pickles and canned peaches in thin syrup and my wife made bread and butter pickles and chutney. Are these not by definition processed?

Heck - if I open a tin of beans they've been processed.

I read in NROL that his definition of clean is anything you can still tell what the original food was. (paraphrasing for brevity). Make's sense to me. However I just eat food. I'm not a big fan of fast food, but then I worked in the restaurant biz for a very loooonnnnggggg time.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I don't think you said that junk food was unhealthy, but there is a difference between something not being good for you and something being unhealthy. That's what annoys me. An Oatmeal Cream Pie isn't unhealthy. Is it good for you? Probably not physically (mentally yes :), but that doesn't mean it's unhealthy.

Actually I did say that. :smile:
    PSA: Junk food isn't healthy food. You can say it as many times as you want, but it isn't healthy. Sure, if you have the right kind of body, you can burn off all that filth you eat and remain mostly healthy, but junk food still isn't healthy food.

unhealthy: 'harmful to health." "not having or showing good health."
    I'm having trouble understanding how something that is not physically good for you, is not unhealthy.

But whatever. Clearly, I hold the minority opinion here. That's fine. I have other things to do. Good luck sorting it all out. I'm sure you'll find the right of it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't think you said that junk food was unhealthy, but there is a difference between something not being good for you and something being unhealthy. That's what annoys me. An Oatmeal Cream Pie isn't unhealthy. Is it good for you? Probably not physically (mentally yes :), but that doesn't mean it's unhealthy.

PSA: Junk food isn't healthy food. You can say it as many times as you want, but it isn't healthy. Sure, if you have the right kind of body, you can burn off all that filth you eat and remain mostly healthy, but junk food still isn't healthy food.

I'm having trouble understanding how something that is not physically good for you, is not unhealthy.

But whatever. Clearly, I hold the minority opinion here. That's fine. I have other things to do. Good luck sorting it all out. I'm sure you'll find the right of it.

Eating a lot of any food isn't good for you, whether it be mass quantities of ice cream and cake or broccoli and apples.

Eating a day's worth of calories in cauliflower would be just as "harmful" to my health as eating a day's worth of just cookies.

The point is there is no evil, unhealthy or bad foods. It's the quantities you consume that you need to be aware of and find a balance in order to reach your nutritional needs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone in this thread is pro pills, cleanses, etc., but one of these things seems not like the other.

First, the question remains, what is "junk food." The usual definition of "eating clean" is not eating "processed" foods, and as was addressed upthread, lots of processed foods are nutrient dense and contribute to the overall healthiness of a diet.

Second, depending on how one defines "processed," it seems that "junk food" could include those that are not particularly processed, as with the homemade ice cream discussed above (I almost disagreed with the claim in that post that none of the ingredients could be considered unclean, because of course "clean eaters" here commonly include cane sugar and even dairy among the terrible unclean foods).

Third, assuming we can agree on a definition of "junk food," why is eating a small amount of it going to prevent your body from being in its most healthy state or cause one to regain (or gain at all). Let's stipulate that the person in question is eating below his or her TDEE and, perhaps, is doing a great deal of exercise such that getting adequate calories is a challenge.

One issue in these "clean eating" discussions (or any discussion about starches or "white foods") is that there's often a focus on individual food items and not a diet as a whole. The amount of, say, potatoes or bread (not that I will concede they are "unclean" or "junk food" as some would have it) that would make sense in my diet (at a restricted calorie level and for a not especially tall 40-something woman, although one who is currently pretty active) is obviously different than for an extremely active 20-something man trying to bulk, who will need far more calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    And I really am over hearing the words" Clean Eating", even if it is a fairly good guideline for repairing poor dietary habits. Said it before, say it again; How about common sense eating the majority of the time. The good ol' 80/20 rule works wonders.

Sounds fine. But that's NOT "clean eating." That's boring old "try to eat a healthy balanced diet."

I haven't seen many at MFP argue that that's not a good general rule (although not scientifically necessary for weight loss).
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

The definition "harmful to health" says it all. Unless you can prove that a certain food is actively damaging someone's health, calling it unhealthy is a stretch. Some foods are more nutrient dense than others, but that doesn't make the less nutrient dense foods bad for you. You're also not taking into account frequency and quantity of the food consumed when you make blanket statements that something is unhealthy. There are plenty of "healthy" foods that when consumed too often or in large quantities can make a person physically ill.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

The definition "harmful to health" says it all. Unless you can prove that a certain food is actively damaging someone's health, calling it unhealthy is a stretch. Some foods are more nutrient dense than others, but that doesn't make the less nutrient dense foods bad for you. You're also not taking into account frequency and quantity of the food consumed when you make blanket statements that something is unhealthy. There are plenty of "healthy" foods that when consumed too often or in large quantities can make a person physically ill.

Exactly.

And a gif that somewhat demonstrates at least part of what is being said above ^

032404db-502d-454b-a7e2-dfa7536114b5-460x276.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Bump, while I go grab some oreo's to put on top of my ice cream.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Second, depending on how one defines "processed," it seems that "junk food" could include those that are not particularly processed, as with the homemade ice cream discussed above (I almost disagreed with the claim in that post that none of the ingredients could be considered unclean, because of course "clean eaters" here commonly include cane sugar and even dairy among the terrible unclean foods).

Ok, I see your point re: cane sugar and dairy being possibly "unclean" based on how some people define things, but I included dairy in my list of what I think people are talking about when they talk about "clean eating" (along with lean meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes and whole grains). Sugar is the biggest one that many people demonize but I suppose I was playing under the assumption that cane sugar is generally accepted as "cleaner" than HFCS, for example, or artificial sweeteners.

Apparently I made too many assumptions in my original post, which I will concede. I don't want to get into a discussion of what is "clean" and what isn't, I was just trying to make the point that just dumping all of the less nutritious foods into the "junk" file without a full dietary profile is jumping the gun a bit. Not to mention the processing argument - which frankly, because I don't live on a farm / ranch, pretty much all of my foods are processed in some way or another before I buy them, and the same can be said for the vast majority of people. My point so far as that went was more along the lines of additives and preservatives (which is what many people call "processed foods" - prepackaged foods, shelf stable foods, etc), which I do not 100% avoid but I try to keep to a minimum myself but have nothing against people who do have some of those things in their diet.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    http://www.biolayne.com/news/guest-biolayne-blog-post-how-to-recover-from-clean-eating-by-mike-samuels/
    FTA:
    What Does “Clean” Even Mean?

"Clean is such an ambiguous term, and the definition of a clean food changes depending on who you speak to – Talk to your typical bodybuilder, and they’ll say that brown rice, sprouted grain bread and cream of wheat are all clean carbs. Someone on the Paleo diet though – those “clean” carbs are now forbidden foods, as, in the Paleo follower’s eyes, grains are evil. They prefer a clean diet of nuts, seeds, in-season veggies, fish and meat.

“Hold it there”

In comes the vegetarian – “what’s so clean about animal products?” According to them, we shouldn’t be eating these – we need a diet full of fruit, beans and legumes. And so it goes on and on. There’s no single definition of clean, and it can’t be quantified. What can be quantified however, is calories and macronutrients."
  • JennaD075
    JennaD075 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm pro doing whatever you want for yourself as long as it doesn't hurt or harm others. I think we have gotten way too consumed on telling people what they "should" be doing. Everyone needs to do what is right for them and eat what is right for them. I don't use or care for anything other than eating within my calories and trying to get my macros but I don't look down on or try and tell other's what they should be doing. Even if the OP did try to pose it as a public service announcement.
  • kncapitano
    Options
    Never thought mentioning the word "clean" would cause such an uproar lol. :ohwell: This isn't even what the post was about haha.

But anyway...

To me: Clean eating means that if you look on a nutrition label on a particular food... that there are minimal ingredients listed and most (if not all) are recognizable, and natural. Processed foods in my mind don't necessarily mean the way the food is handled/packaged. It means food that has not been added tons of extra ingredients to increase sugar and sodium content, as well as preservatives, colors, dyes etc.

So for those of you who were arguing about making homemade ice cream... I would NOT consider that processed or "dirty" as some of you referred, as long as you are using natural products to make it.

Example: I just went and grabbed something random in my kitchen cabinet (No clue how long it has been there... ick :sick: ) It is Idahoan Baby Reds Flavored mashed potatoes in a bag... It says underneath: Homestyle Red and Russet Potatoes with Skins perfectly blended with creamy butter, natural, and artificial flavorings.

Okay... so now I look at the ingredient list which I counted is... 41 INGREDIENTS!!!! :frown: Hmm... for simple mashed potatoes and butter that seems pretty crazy to me! (AND YES I do eat foods like this, just not all the time! Moderation people). Some of these ingredients to pick a few are: Sodium Caseinate, disodium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, stearoyl, bisulfite, artificial color, artificial flavor, dipotassium phosphate, anti-caking agent, corn syrup solids. etc.

Would I personally call that a "clean" food? No... but that doesnt mean you have to NOT eat it. What you eat is totally up to you.

Like people have mentioned... MODERATION is KEY. We all have different opinions about what the word "clean" means, and its silly to get all in an uproar about it since no one is forcing you to follow their version of the word. I stand by my version of the word, so I will follow it. But trust me when I say that I have cheat meals and enjoy every second of it, but I just try to be strict and not do it all the time.

Cheers! Xo

:happy: :happy: :happy: