Robbin Wiliams Dead?!

Options

Replies

• HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow! He was just here in MN at Hazelton for rehab maintenance. My SIL and BIL saw him 2 weeks ago at the Dairy Queen in their town where Hazelton is located.

Severe depression as of late. Probably due to his show having been cancelled back in May.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Not surprised. If I remember correctly, he was bipolar and also battled addiction as well. Those are tough to deal with individually, I can't imagine how that must have been for him trying to handle them together.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Like it or not a celebrity icon's suicide brings out some pretty strong emotions in those who suffer from depression and have contemplated or attempted suicide, those survivors who have had loved ones take their lives, and those of us who have been on both sides of this equation. Not everyone is going to handle this with kind words and sweet nothings, and I honestly don't think Robin Williams would have wanted it that way. He was bold enough to use his problems in his humor and in that way he made it more human. I don't believe I've ever cried over the death of a celebrity but I am now. All I can say, is let each other have your say but don't assume that because someone feels one way or the other that they don't share your experiences. Many people cry in grief. Some laugh. Some get angry. Some do all three. I think the worst thing we can do is deny another person's legitimate feelings whatever they may be. I know for me, that it's one of the most anger inducing things someone can do to me.

As for me, the thoughts that spun through my head include "coward," " you *kitten*, how can you do that to your family?," "OMG I'm sorry," and "thank God the world was given the gift of your existence." I can't say it enough, but you'll be missed, Mr. Williams.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Like it or not a celebrity icon's suicide brings out some pretty strong emotions in those who suffer from depression and have contemplated or attempted suicide, those survivors who have had loved ones take their lives, and those of us who have been on both sides of this equation. Not everyone is going to handle this with kind words and sweet nothings, and I honestly don't think Robin Williams would have wanted it that way. He was bold enough to use his problems in his humor and in that way he made it more human. I don't believe I've ever cried over the death of a celebrity but I am now. All I can say, is let each other have your say but don't assume that because someone feels one way or the other that they don't share your experiences. Many people cry in grief. Some laugh. Some get angry. Some do all three. I think the worst thing we can do is deny another person's legitimate feelings whatever they may be. I know for me, that it's one of the most anger inducing things someone can do to me.

As for me, the thoughts that spun through my head include "coward," " you *kitten*, how can you do that to your family?," "OMG I'm sorry," and "thank God the world was given the gift of your existence." I can't say it enough, but you'll be missed, Mr. Williams.

+1
  • Jenalicious75
    Options
    Heartbreaking :(
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I'm sorry guys, I just can't be mad at a man who is experiencing anger because he lost someone due to suicide and this event is causing him to express it.

I can't judge him right now, just like I can't judge anyone who felt like it judged someone they have lost to that either.

Right now I'm pretty much feeling all the emotions, and in a very confusing all at once way, and all the judgeys and the trying to control other's responses isn't really helping?

Or at least that's how it looks from here.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

You are right, people deal with grief and their own personal tragedies in their own way. I had to take a few steps back from this thread to regain control of myself because some **** is hard to deal with and can act as a trigger for ugly emotions.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    It appears that he took the cowards way out, anyone who takes his/her life and leaves children behind is a POS I don't care who you are. He obviously had the ability to seek help but apparently didn't.
    I feel for his children.

Unless you've ever dealt with this disease (which it is), then you really shouldn't be judging or thinking you're better than anyone. You obviously have no idea at all what it is like to live like this. It's a debilitating, life-sucking disease, like cancer. Boo on you for being this type of person.

This! Wow.

Slow down a bit there, folks. If you've been through this then you should be familiar with the anger. I'd be lying if I didn't say that there is a part of me that feels pretty much exactly like the above. That's the part of me that's been through this with family members.

This. I understand that many of you have dealt with your own demons on the depression side, and you may think that those of us who look at Robin Williams in a different light now are horrible people, but....

You ask us to walk a mile in your shoes before we cast judgement on him, right? I ask you to walk a mile in some of our shoes before you cast judgement on us.

I agree with the OP that suicide is the coward's way out. If you want to judge me, fine, but I ask you, do you know what it feels like to have your father blow his brains out? Do you know what it's like to spend years looking for answers as to why, knowing that you'll never get those answers? Do you know what it's like to constantly wonder if you could have done something different? It is a coward's way out because his pain is over; the pain for the people who cared about him is just beginning.

This was 20+ years ago for me, do you think our pain goes away easy?

Judge me if you must, but today, my view of Robin Williams did a 180.

And it's that judgement that actually can steer people in need of help away. I speak from someone experienced with both sides of that.

What judgement is that? My judging Robin Williams' suicide as the cowards way out? Not to sound callous, but he's dead and won't be seeking any help. I actually have quite the opposite view of those who suffer from addiction and/or depression and continue to fight it. I consider them to be strong and courageous people....and this would be why I stated that, "my view of Robin Williams did a 180".
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    He bought so much joy to the lives of others, how sad that he could not defeat the worm of depression.
    My favourite film of his is 'What Dreams May Come'.
    RIP Robin Williams.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It appears that he took the cowards way out, anyone who takes his/her life and leaves children behind is a POS I don't care who you are. He obviously had the ability to seek help but apparently didn't.
    I feel for his children.

Unless you've ever dealt with this disease (which it is), then you really shouldn't be judging or thinking you're better than anyone. You obviously have no idea at all what it is like to live like this. It's a debilitating, life-sucking disease, like cancer. Boo on you for being this type of person.

This! Wow.

Slow down a bit there, folks. If you've been through this then you should be familiar with the anger. I'd be lying if I didn't say that there is a part of me that feels pretty much exactly like the above. That's the part of me that's been through this with family members.

This. I understand that many of you have dealt with your own demons on the depression side, and you may think that those of us who look at Robin Williams in a different light now are horrible people, but....

You ask us to walk a mile in your shoes before we cast judgement on him, right? I ask you to walk a mile in some of our shoes before you cast judgement on us.

I agree with the OP that suicide is the coward's way out. If you want to judge me, fine, but I ask you, do you know what it feels like to have your father blow his brains out? Do you know what it's like to spend years looking for answers as to why, knowing that you'll never get those answers? Do you know what it's like to constantly wonder if you could have done something different? It is a coward's way out because his pain is over; the pain for the people who cared about him is just beginning.

This was 20+ years ago for me, do you think our pain goes away easy?

Judge me if you must, but today, my view of Robin Williams did a 180.

And it's that judgement that actually can steer people in need of help away. I speak from someone experienced with both sides of that.

What judgement is that? My judging Robin Williams' suicide as the cowards way out? Not to sound callous, but he's dead and won't be seeking any help. I actually have quite the opposite view of those who suffer from addiction and/or depression and continue to fight it. I consider them to be strong and courageous people....and this would be why I stated that, "my view of Robin Williams did a 180".

And what about those who read things like this that are dealing with suicidal thoughts/issues and depression. That's not what they'll take away from it.
    It is a coward's way out because his pain is over; the pain for the people who cared about him is just beginning.

You really think saying things like that is going to inspire people dealing with those types of things to change? To feel more open and hopeful to seek out help. Newsflash. It doesn't. Not. At. All. In fact, it tends to do just the opposite.

It's painful to lose people this way. But it's just as painful for the people who are fighting to stay for them and one day, it's not a matter of courage or cowardice. At that point, it's all that's left. It's not logical. It's not rational. It just is.
  • woodgal40
    woodgal40 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I cried on the way home from work when I heard that he died. His humor was so refreshing and his ability to be so many different people made me want to grow up and be a comic. (which I never tried).

His demons won and I hope he rests in peace and his family heals completely.
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I feel for his children.

Hmmm.... this type of person.
    How about this;
    One of my friends in high school put a shotgun in his mouth and pulled the trigger.
    Someone else I cared about deeply locked herself in her apartment and turned the heat up as high as it would go (in June) and cut her wrists, I found her 3 days later.
    Not even 3 weeks ago one of my friends wives put a handgun to her head and pulled the trigger.

So please tell me, what type of person am I?
    I can answer that for you, I'm the type of person who has had to deal with this first hand. Would you like me to describe what I've seen and felt in detail, no, I doubt that you would.
    So I'm standing by my statement that anyone who commits suicide is a selfish POS because they leave all of their issues behind along with the memories of what you're seen, which I can assure you will never leave you.

I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that, and deal with these losses. The people that are left behind have to deal with all the pain, and emotions that come with the grieving. It's so sad.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

You are right, people deal with grief and their own personal tragedies in their own way. I had to take a few steps back from this thread to regain control of myself because some **** is hard to deal with and can act as a trigger for ugly emotions.
    :heart:
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Mork & Mindy. I'm having trouble with this.

Me too. It's so sad, he was part of my childhood.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The Genie is finally free.

aladdin-free-genie.jpeg?w=584
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    He bought so much joy to the lives of others, how sad that he could not defeat the worm of depression.
    My favourite film of his is 'What Dreams May Come'.
    RIP Robin Williams.

My wife and I were talking about our favorite films of his, and I mentioned that one too.
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    He was a truly wonderful actor and comedian. I loved him in Patch Adams and Bicentennial man. The world laughed a lot because of him.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Not surprised. If I remember correctly, he was bipolar and also battled addiction as well. Those are tough to deal with individually, I can't imagine how that must have been for him trying to handle them together.

I share those 2 afflications. I understand what he had been going thru all of these years. Yet he managed to channel his illnesses to make us both laugh & cry. I believe his work was his therapy. I will miss him and all of the wonderful memories he may have continued to bring us.:flowerforyou:
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    The Genie is finally free.

aladdin-free-genie.jpeg?w=584

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

that was not okay holy **** :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: