who doesnt like when guys gain muscles

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    As somebody who now deliberately avoids the opposite sex and also social siuations (pure hermit!) as a result of repeatedly being called 'gross' for the way that I look, this thread has been a bit of an eye-opener.

LOL that doesn't happen to fit people. Nice try though.

I guarantee you he doesn't walk around in his underwear all day. He wears clothes. And fitness is not always evident in clothing.

Furthermore. I have never been obese, but I took a heck of a lot of mocking when I was growing up and it scarred me badly.
    People can be jerks... and they single out whatever makes them uncomfortable... from a scar on the face, to extreme good looks. It doesn't matter. They attack what makes them feel weakest, in an attempt to better themselves.

Please do NOT minimize the fact that this man has stated he suffers from scars just because YOU don't see them. It just makes the scars hurt that much more.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    As somebody who now deliberately avoids the opposite sex and also social siuations (pure hermit!) as a result of repeatedly being called 'gross' for the way that I look, this thread has been a bit of an eye-opener.

I guarantee you he doesn't walk around in his underwear all day. He wears clothes. And fitness is not always evident in clothing.

Furthermore. I have never been obese, but I took a heck of a lot of mocking when I was growing up and it scarred me badly.
    People can be jerks... and they single out whatever makes them uncomfortable... from a scar on the face, to extreme good looks. It doesn't matter. They attack what makes them feel weakest, in an attempt to better themselves.

Please do NOT minimize the fact that this man has stated he suffers from scars just because YOU don't see them. It just makes the scars hurt that much more.

QFT X 10000
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So this thread definitely took a turn that I didn't initially see coming.

I think there's definitely something to be said for people watching their language when describing their preference in what they find attractive in other people, but at the same time, I think there's also something to be said for people being allowed to like what they like.

I don't think that the OP should be jumped on for...

I think it is rather common for people to transpose the words normal and average...which is what I think the OP did.

Americans tend to be less than precise in their choice of words, in a way that can be considered merely careless or indicative of long practiced social injustices, or anything in between the two extremes...

I can understand the backlash, though. Such is life on the interwebz.
    Mark Wahlberg was described as being in the "gross" category, yet the photo posted is what I would consider "average" for a man.

So, again, I'm not sure what she meant by "normal." And I'm American.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Thank you!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well if you think "normal" In the US it is a 5'9" man with a 39 inch waist that weighs 200lbs with a BMI of 29. According to this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/10/this-is-the-average-mans-body/280194/

Lol yeah..think I'll go for the muscley dude!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

I think there's definitely something to be said for people watching their language when describing their preference in what they find attractive in other people, but at the same time, I think there's also something to be said for people being allowed to like what they like.

I think it is rather common for people to transpose the words normal and average...which is what I think the OP did.

Americans tend to be less than precise in their choice of words, in a way that can be considered merely careless or indicative of long practiced social injustices, or anything in between the two extremes...

Mark Wahlberg was described as being in the "gross" category, yet the photo posted is what I would consider "average" for a man.

Yea, it's not really cool to call people gross. I haven't really read back and looked at which comments were provided by the OP across the whole thread, so I was maybe too narrowly focused on the first post.

ETA: you know what I mean about American English, though, right? I mean, how many different ways do Americans use the word "hard" for example?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Anyone else who doesn't like the look of guys who gain allot of muscles and look extremely buff?i prefer the normal look and I don't dig that look.anyone else

You jumped all over her choice of words and forgot to judge her spelling and punctuation. Carry on.
    You get strikes for doing that so I had to refrain.

yes you will get reported

You could also get reported for saying a body-type is "gross"

Just sayin'

Good thing I didn't say that.

Yeah, I wasn't talking to you!

ETA the "yes you will get reported" girl is the "gross" comment girl.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Nice:
    body-builder-8702325.jpg

Too much:
    kev3.jpg

Guy #2 is extreme enough that steroid use seems likely, which means he's got "roid rage" temper tantrums, no nuts, and inconsistent sexual performance.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Anyone else who doesn't like the look of guys who gain allot of muscles and look extremely buff?i prefer the normal look and I don't dig that look.anyone else

You jumped all over her choice of words and forgot to judge her spelling and punctuation. Carry on.

Just sayin'

DONT TELL ME HOW TO RUN MY LIFE!!!
  • jimmmer
    Options

Just sayin'

DONT TELL ME HOW TO RUN MY LIFE!!!

What?!
  • rml_16
    Options

Just sayin'

Ah. I didn't read far enough back and I'm losing track of who said what. lol
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Nice:
    body-builder-8702325.jpg

Too much:
    kev3.jpg

Guy is extreme enough that steroid use seems likely, which means he's got "roid rage" temper tantrums, no nuts, and inconsistent sexual performance.

Guy 1 look nice but pushing it.Guy number #2 is definitely a big no no:noway:
  • jimmmer
    Options

Just sayin'

This thread has officially gone bananas now!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

I know...it's too much. There's so much...something...to sift through
  • rml_16
    Options

Yea, it's not really cool to call people gross. I haven't really read back and looked at which comments were provided by the OP across the whole thread, so I was maybe too narrowly focused on the first post.

ETA: you know what I mean about American English, though, right? I mean, how many different ways do Americans use the word "hard" for example?

Two. Either something is not soft or it is difficult. I don't know of any other use of that word.

And, yes, Americans have a dialect but so does every other English-speaking country. I mean, I have to always explain to people when I suggest that they watch certain British television shows that "pants" in England isn't the same as "pants" in the US. :wink:

And don't get me started on "fanny."

But "average" and "normal" are still incredibly ambiguous words in this context that need clarification.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

Just sayin'

Hollaback-Girl-Video-Pics-gwen-stefani-49050_500_332.jpg
  • rml_16
    Options

Or maybe you're just happy to see me.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Nice:
    body-builder-8702325.jpg

Too much:
    kev3.jpg

Guy #2 is extreme enough that steroid use seems likely, which means he's got "roid rage" temper tantrums, no nuts, and inconsistent sexual performance.

Even this was rather unnecessary. You make assumptions (about the roid rage, tantrums, nuts and performance) which may in fact be true... but if that man is choosing to be that way, then it is not too much for him. And if there are men on this site who want to look like he does, they are more than entitled to do so.

Are the roids the best way to go? No. And that would be the only thing I'd risk a comment on because it is potentially damaging to health, but I imaging that the man who looks that way, is likely well aware of the risks he is taking... just as someone who is obese is aware of the risks to their health.

I have preferences for what I find attractive... but that does not mean that those I am not attracted to are unattractive, gross, or abnormal.

I think that's the key to the whole drama in this thread. Words ARE important. Stating preference is fine, if you state is as preference as opposed to judgement over another's way of life.

ETA: oh... and guy 1 is clearly not right out of a sweat inducing muscle growing workout. I guarantee that if you get him to lift hard for half an hour, all SORTs of wonderful vascularity would appear on his arms, biceps, shoulders, and possibly pecs / abs. Comparing apples to oranges.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

Two. Either something is not soft or it is difficult. I don't know of any other use of that word.

And, yes, Americans have a dialect but so does every other English-speaking country. I mean, I have to always explain to people when I suggest that they watch certain British television shows that "pants" in England isn't the same as "pants" in the US. :wink:

And don't get me started on "fanny."

But "average" and "normal" are still incredibly ambiguous words in this context that need clarification.

Maybe I'm a little bit more nit-picky, but I see many applications of the word "hard" where there is a much more specific English word that could be used. I find that Americans tend to do this more than anyone else I've met. It's not an insult, though. It's just something I've noticed...as an American, who travels
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    I think that's the key to the whole drama in this thread. Words ARE important. Stating preference is fine, if you state is as preference as opposed to judgement over another's way of life.

WOW. I did not catch that...just..yikes
This discussion has been closed.