Overweight personal trainers

Options
15678911»

Replies

• jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be fit to be a good PT.
    The easiest way to understand this is to look at coaches in pro level sports and doctors.

Just because you have the knowledge doesn't mean you have to portray it.
    I agree with this. Even the world's fastest man Usain Bolt has a coach (brilliant man) who...ahm...well lets just say he wouldn't have been my first choice if I wanted to be a sprinter and was judging him on looks alone.
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    I personally prefer having a PT that's not obese for obvious reasons. So I can look up to them and have a stronger motivation. Plus if they couldn't take care of their own body, how do I trust that they know how to help me?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be fit to be a good PT.
    The easiest way to understand this is to look at coaches in pro level sports and doctors.

Just because you have the knowledge doesn't mean you have to portray it.
    I agree with this. Even the world's fastest man Usain Bolt has a coach (brilliant man) who...ahm...well lets just say he wouldn't have been my first choice if I wanted to be a sprinter and was judging him on looks alone.

Great example!

105663972_80_sport_288590c.jpg
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'd have no problems with a fat personal trainer if their history shows they know what to do. For example if they were bodybuilders or were/are powerlifters.

Some of the best powerlifters are lardasses and, as someone who wants to get into powerlifting, I sure as hell would take their advice.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'd have no problems with a fat personal trainer if their history shows they know what to do. For example if they were bodybuilders or were/are powerlifters.

Some of the best powerlifters are lardasses and, as someone who wants to get into powerlifting, I sure as hell would take their advice.
    louiscyr_1.jpg
    312 pounds, under 6' tall.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

There seems to be a divide between the people who have at least an inkling of what they are or want to do, and those that know what they want to look like, but don't know how to get there The people who know at least what they want to do seem to be a lot more focused on credentials, while those who know their destination, but not how to get there seem to be more focused on looks.

I agree with one of the previous comments, I think a StrongLifts-type "basics of lifting" group classes would go a long way in bridging the gap between those two groups.