I need f-ing SUGAR!!!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr. Pepper.

this and diet mountain dew are my mixers of choice, but for coffee I must have the sugar!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    No medical reasons, but it's one of those that if I have a pop (or whatever today) I'll likely do it again tomorrow, making it harder to keep it in moderation. I have a really hard time with moderation. :(

but i think 1/day, if it fits, IS moderation.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a bottle of pure caffiene and a reliable scale that can measure mg. I put 120-150mg of caffiene in my tea and it keeps me going all day, no sugar needed.

Where do you get a bottle of pure caffeine? I've taken caffeine pills before and such, but this would be so much a better option!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I like sweet tea
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    No medical reasons, but it's one of those that if I have a pop (or whatever today) I'll likely do it again tomorrow, making it harder to keep it in moderation. I have a really hard time with moderation. :(

Where can one get this vial of caffiene??? LOL.

And picturing a whole spoon of sugar omg.... yes that makes it a little less unappealing.

It's funny. When I have a coke today, I tend to want a coke tomorrow...and the next day. And I don't even like it that much.

You still need to break the habit, so I can understand it.

Can you see if you can get the sugar in a way that hasn't been habitual until now - like the tea? Allow yourself two packets of sugar in one cup of the tea once a day?
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You're sugar addicted. Like me. It's one of the most addictive substances in the world. Eating just a little, still gives you a "hit" and extends the addiciton, so simply "eating less" doesn't work for everyone. I think some of us are more prone to it, like some are more prone to be alcoholics.

I've been going high veg, healthy fats, protein, and getting my carbs from fruits, peas, rice, beans, etc. It's the only way I've been able to get off the sugar roller coaster. I'm also NEVER hungry when I stick to it.

See if your library has "The Blood Sugar Solution" by Dr. Mark Hyman. It really spells out some of the problems our bodies have with modern sugary/carby foods.

"Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman will lead you to similar conclusions.

They are changing my life.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

but i think 1/day, if it fits, IS moderation.

It is, but some people have to break habits before they can manage moderation.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    You're sugar addicted. Like me. It's one of the most addictive substances in the world. Eating just a little, still gives you a "hit" and extends the addiciton, so simply "eating less" doesn't work for everyone. I think some of us are more prone to it, like some are more prone to be alcoholics.

I've been going high veg, healthy fats, protein, and getting my carbs from fruits, peas, rice, beans, etc. It's the only way I've been able to get off the sugar roller coaster. I'm also NEVER hungry when I stick to it.

See if your library has "The Blood Sugar Solution" by Dr. Mark Hyman. It really spells out some of the problems our bodies have with modern sugary/carby foods.

Yes yes yes.... that little voice in my brain, that I'm about to whack is saying "Only Mt. Dew will suffice" but yes typically I can make it thru, I know what's throwing me....the potluck from Sunday, and all the refined carbs/sugars I had there. I didn't go overboard but it was just enough to "awaken" the sugar monster!

I may have to check that book out. :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

And picturing a whole spoon of sugar omg.... yes that makes it a little less unappealing.

I think one soda per day is a perfect example of moderation, especially if you used to drink several sodas a day. Give yourself a little more credit, woman.

I find that my afternoon slump usually stems from the amount of carbs I've had. I'm on the low end today anyway based on my pre-logging, but I just did a quick calculation, and I've only had 68g of carbs so far, so of course I'm tired right now. You might want to watch your macros for a bit and record how you feel each day, it might just be a matter of shifting some things around a bit to keep your energy up.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Two major brand chocolate chip cookies: 160 calories, give or take. Is it that difficult to fit that amount into your daily allowance?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Yes yes yes.... that little voice in my brain, that I'm about to whack is saying "Only Mt. Dew will suffice" but yes typically I can make it thru, I know what's throwing me....the potluck from Sunday, and all the refined carbs/sugars I had there. I didn't go overboard but it was just enough to "awaken" the sugar monster!

I may have to check that book out. :)

The words you choose indicate to me that moderation really is a challenge for you. I know the sugar monster you refer to.

Here's wishing you strength on your journey.

Also, you may want to double check all of the prescribing information on any prescription drugs, esp. if you've recently been put on one. Many of them cause sugar cravings.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Sugar cravings can come from many sources.

I know you said that you have no medical issues, but have you ever been checked for insulin resistance (A1C test)? Over 40% of US adults have it at diabetic or pre-diabetic levels. It's terribly common and most have absolutely no idea they have it. I didn't and was shocked to learn of it --- and used to have crazy sugar cravings.

The things I found for sugar cravings were:

(1) low glycemic or LCHF diet -- keeping carbs in control helped even out my blood sugar levels and reduce and/or eliminate the strong sugar and carb cravings I used to have (if you have IR, you can get medication too -- like metformin that can help)
    (2) Look for other reasons for low energy -- oftentimes sugar is a reaction to being tired -- not enough sleep, stress, thyroid issues, low vitamin D (I've seen references to up to 75% adults and teens are deficient in vitamin D). And it's not something most doctors check for unless explicitly asked. And, for some, low vitamin D can contribute to weight gain or difficulty in losing weight.
    (3) Kicking another habit. Some trying to cut back on caffeine or stop smoking end up with intense sugar cravings for a while. Apparently, for some, it's a withdrawal reaction to certain substances.
    (4) Emotional reactions. Sugar causes release of certain neurotransmitter (I think dopamine and seratonin) so it can literally be a "medication" for depression or anxiety as both soothe those issues. It's literally the basis of emotional eating. But, the good news is you can up those levels in other ways too -- a good brisk walk will often do the trick if this is your issue.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

you're doing it wrong if you think that 1 can/day isn't moderation.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options

you're doing it wrong if you think that 1 can/day isn't moderation.
    true, I can make a can of pop last an entire day, but there are other issues with it too that I don't want to advertise that aren't widely accepted on here. But I do appreciate your help.
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to ice cream before I started my journey here. I could eat a half of a half gallon a night while sitting on my computer.
    Weight was going up but I just kept letting it ride little by little. 180lbs and I was done

I still eat a 1/2 c. on occasion but the thing that got me through sugar was 1/2 c raspberries-1/2 strawberries and 4 tbs cool whip lite. Calories and sugar count ok. I am now stuck on slices of fresh peaches, only if they are crunchy.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    have a snickers bar. they rock.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

IIRC, a 12 oz can of Mt Dew is about 46 grams of sugar, or about 12 teaspoons. Compared to that, a single teaspoon (or even a heaping tablespoon) is serious moderation.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to it, it calms down. Give it time. :)

But if you have a sugar binge, like a big bowl of past or whathaveyou, the cravings come back.

Try fruit! Seriously. Wacky as it sounds, some berries will do the trick.

Lifestyle changes aren't easy, for sure. Lots of work, some slips, bumps in the road. But in the end, you'll be happier.

And if you don't feel better in the end, Pepsi is always available. :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

IIRC, a 12 oz can of Mt Dew is about 46 grams of sugar, or about 12 teaspoons. Compared to that, a single teaspoon (or even a heaping tablespoon) is serious moderation.
    That's what I was thinking.

I'm a Diet Pepsi drinker and not a sugar-avoider at all but I'll keep my sugar in my foods, thanks. The idea of drinking 12 teaspoons just makes me want to brush my teeth. :tongue:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

I think one soda per day is a perfect example of moderation, especially if you used to drink several sodas a day. Give yourself a little more credit, woman.

I find that my afternoon slump usually stems from the amount of carbs I've had. I'm on the low end today anyway based on my pre-logging, but I just did a quick calculation, and I've only had 68g of carbs so far, so of course I'm tired right now. You might want to watch your macros for a bit and record how you feel each day, it might just be a matter of shifting some things around a bit to keep your energy up.

I like this answer !