Fitness Misconceptions that drive you nuts?

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Running will wreck your knees........:noway: :noway:

Yes, I hate that one too!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything after 'insert time here'

I believed this one for a very long time, up until recently. You wouldn't believe how happy I was when I was educated! :laugh:
  • LianeMD1975
    Options
    Here take this magic *enter BS pill name here* and lose 5-100 lbs a week sitting on your fat a** while eating oreos, pizza, and french fries!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    ...that to get <20% bodyfat, you need to spend 2 hours a day doing heavy lifting. (I'm still working on convincing my husband that this is not true.)
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy weights will make you huge!

On one hand they complement me on how "skinny" yet toned I've become, and they ask me how. I tell them lifting heavy has made a real difference and they say no, no it will make you huge! Duh!
  • LianeMD1975
    Options
    Squat like a baby? :huh: Never heard this one, please share.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    This is funny, but I can say that whenever I lose weight, that's the part it comes from first. I've lost 10 lbs in this go-round and dropped from a 38B to a 38A. It's one of those things that is not true for everyone, but does happen to some of us, so the rumor continues...
    I'm with you! Wish it would go from my hips first rather than my bosoms!
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options

On one hand they complement me on how "skinny" yet toned I've become, and they ask me how. I tell them lifting heavy has made a real difference and they say no, no it will make you huge! Duh!

XD I love that the proof they're wrong is right in front of their face and they still insist on believing the lie.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    That if you have trouble meeting your calorie goals, and you are usually under 1200 (unintentionally), that you are a) lying b) attention seeking or c) not logging accurately.

Also, that you will "shock" your body, put it into starvation mode, you will not lose weight, you will be "hangry", tried, lack energy, be starving and generally a miserable person.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Running will make your uterus fall out!!! It's a classic!
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Don't lift weights, it'll make you bulky. Coming from a female trainer, among a few other people.....yeah I won't be using you as a trainer :indifferent:

Oatmeal makes you bulky.

"Oh you're just gaining muscle"....using an elliptical....with a calorie deficit....:huh:
  • ChunkLaFunk
    ChunkLaFunk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    "I don't lift heavy because I don't want to lose flexibility."
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I get this one too. They compliment me on how fit I'm looking, I tell them what I do, they insist it won't work for them, that lifting heavy weights will just bulk them up. :huh:
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    That if you have trouble meeting your calorie goals, and you are usually under 1200 (unintentionally), that you are a) lying b) attention seeking or c) not logging accurately.

I probably shouldn't ask, but why would it be hard to figure out how to get to 1200 calories or over?
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ohh and my new favourite...
    Person: "wow! Great job on the weight loss, how are you doing it?"
    Me: "watching what I eat and exercising more"
    Person: "So I read this book/website/ whatever that says you're not supposed to eat carbs and fat at the same time (or whatever fad)"
    Me:...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You might not be hungry, drink a glass of water instead.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    -Lifting will make women super bulky and manly
    -Women shouldn't do the bench press because it'll make your boobs shrink lol
    -You need to "cleanse the fats and oils" from your body to lose weight

:laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

apparently so does heavy lifting.

so what are we supposed to do exactly?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I probably shouldn't ask, but why would it be hard to figure out how to get to 1200 calories or over?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question?

I never said I didn't know how to reach 1200 calories a day (obviously, eat more!). It's just that I don't have the appetite to do so. When I said unintentionally, I meant I'm not purposely on a VLCD - it's just how most of my days end up. I'm usually at or above 1100 every day - and I have to work to get there. I'm trying :smile:

My intake isn't something I'd recommend to anyone, ever - but it bothers me that people are (mostly, and yes I'm generalizing) unwilling to help people that have similar issues. Like it's unfathomable that someone could become overweight and then have trouble meeting the "magical" 1200.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

apparently so does heavy lifting.

so what are we supposed to do exactly?

Put a cork in it I guess.