Am I ok to replace food with alchohol for one day?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I'm really surprised everyone thinks this! Before I was calorie counting I would just get a 750ml bottle to myself! I'm not a small person though, and I'm 23 so that was and still is my excuse ;)

UM, wow:)

I second that.

That is A LOT of vodka. Why so much? Why not drink in moderation?

Well, on the rare occasions I do go out I'll be out until the next day so if you think that I could be potentially drinking over 18 hours then I guess it is in moderation !! But tomorrow I'm just going to be "normal" and only drink for a few hours!
    I drank lots of vodka and orange juice when I was about 21, blacked out, and never drank vodka again. Bleh! :bigsmile:
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    But I'm not trying to deny 3/4 a litre of vodka isn't a huge amount! I just thought 300mls was pretty normal!

Not sure about normal, but that's a pretty moderate night out for me. Although, I only get drunk ~2-3 times a year and rarely drink outside of that (I do like the taste of beer, but it's pretty rare that I'd rather have a pint than a dessert at the end of the day).

Don't listen to other people tell you what your alcohol tolerance should be. I know people who get drunk off 2 shots, and people who can polish off a 750ml bottle and be fine. I've done that myself a couple times, and never had any sort of memory loss, blackouts or anything like that.

Edit: With that said, watch yourself on an empty stomach. It's a bit different downing a bunch of vodka when you just polished off a 1,500 calorie meal for dinner and when you've only eaten 500 calories in the last 24 hours.
  • Deps
    Deps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break. Take a day when you ignore the calories. You might gain a little but not so much that it's unmanageable. It was my partner's birthday this week so we ate cake, had outside foods and generally enjoyed ourselves for the weekend. I put on .07kgs and have already lost .04 again. You don't need to be so hard on yourself. :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    So many peeps on on the high horse! IDK about Americans but on a big night out that amount of drinking is pretty damn normal in Australia!

Science on the topic:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

How I do it:
    make sure I exercise during the day.
    Eat lots of protein and fibrous veg also during the day
    Drink vodka with soda water (for the rehydration/no hangover)
    dance up a storm to burn some extra cals
    Have fun! :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So many peeps on on the high horse! IDK about Americans but on a big night out that amount of drinking is pretty damn normal in Australia!

Science on the topic:

How I do it:
    it's normal for petite women to down 20 shots? ok.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    AFAIK 300ml / 30ml = 10?

She didn't even say what time frame.

Probably not a good idea health wise to do it everyday obviously but she already said that isn't the case.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Science on the topic:

How I do it:

the OP already stated she's overweight and seems to have a higher tolerance. but really size doesnt necessarily have anything to do with how to handle alcohol since it's basically down to how your body metabolizes it. i've had experience as a smaller woman being able to out drink bigger men.

besides that the OP says its a one day thing i dont see what the biog deal is. and even if it were a weekly thing some of you are acting like you ready to swoop in and knock the drink out of her hand :laugh:
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    C'mon, it's simple-- make sure you drink enough to throw up. This way, you won't have to worry about calories! My only question is whether vomiting qualifies as exercise.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Science on the topic:

How I do it:

She's having ten.

She has been known to have around 20 over the course of 18 hours, which is a lot different than "downing 20 shots". That's a lot of drinking, for sure, but wouldn't result in the kind of blood alcohol levels linked earlier.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Must stop reading this thread~I feel some "negative calories" coming on just thinking about vodka after working out on a calorie deficit.:sick:
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    Not matter how many shots you take, you really shouldn't drink on an empty stomach. It messes with your alcohol tolerances and makes you drunk way quicker. So if you can swing it don't eat breakfast or lunch, eat dinner, and then drink. But don't just drink for the day. Of course you want to lose weight, but no one knows what could happen if you get drunker than you anticipate. Sprained ankle that forces you not to exercise for weeks would off set whatever calories you wanted to save by not drinking. I had a friend mess up her knee while inebriated, and she couldn't walk properly for about a month. Is that worth it?
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i try to get lower calorie liquor like southern comfort 45 cal a shot, 15 shots, and thats 675 calories, im wasted and im happy, maybe eat two small meals before and after. chase with crystal light lemonade
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Wow didn't think there would be so many replies this morning!

I think some people have gotten confused - I'm just drinking 300mls tonight - not 750! But it's not unusual in my circle of friends to drink a bottle of vodka over 12/18hrs. Glad there are a few on here that don't think I'm a raging alcoholic!

I'm going to bulk up my lunch with some pasta and potatoes.

Strange to know size doesn't actually affect being able to handle your drink too much, but thinking about it, when I was a size 12 I was exactly the same as I am now - probably could handle more actually because I was drinking more frequently.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Changingmyfatitude Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lol honestly I drink about 4 times a year, there's no problem in that department. You can say 10 vodkas, or you could say 5 doubles! That's not that much is it?!

Seriously? That's a crap ton of vodka. :sick:

I'm really surprised everyone thinks this! Before I was calorie counting I would just get a 750ml bottle to myself! I'm not a small person though, and I'm 23 so that was and still is my excuse ;)

I am really surprised by this too, I have cut back on my drinking because it throws me off as I am getting older but when I am going out to drink... I drink and I am pretty sure it ends up being more than 10 drinks. Everybody has different levels of drinking and as long as it is not an on going thing or becoming an issue then drink away babe. I for one plan on having a few tonight and then I will scale down on my cals for the week to balance up.
  • blovesit
    blovesit Posts: 20
    Options
    :laugh:

I think some people have gotten confused - I'm just drinking 300mls tonight - not 750! But it's not unusual in my circle of friends to drink a bottle of vodka over 12/18hrs. Glad there are a few on here that don't think I'm a raging alcoholic!

Strange to know size doesn't actually affect being able to handle your drink too much, but thinking about it, when I was a size 12 I was exactly the same as I am now - probably could handle more actually because I was drinking more frequently.

I could easily drink five doubles over a night out...and i'm pretty petite...

As you've said this isnt a regular occurrece....go and let your hair down :laugh:
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm inclined to say just go as if it's a normal day until you go out and then just enjoy yourself. I mean, seriously, if you've had a few you're more likely to indulge in any snacks that are on the go as well as the booze. Just chill out about it and start again tomorrow.

Also, I'm 5'1 and seriously, being small doesn't mean you can't keep up, or that you're more likely to get ill. I wouldn't make a habit of those kinds of amounts but I've done more than that at several work nights out and been at work the next day.... without chucking it up, I might add! We are talking with a proper meal beforehand. If it's spaced out over an entire night with mixers it's really not bad, seriously.... it's not like she's planning on chugging a bottle of Smirnoff.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Lol honestly I drink about 4 times a year, there's no problem in that department. You can say 10 vodkas, or you could say 5 doubles! That's not that much is it?!

Seriously? That's a crap ton of vodka. :sick:

I am really surprised by this too, I have cut back on my drinking because it throws me off as I am getting older but when I am going out to drink... I drink and I am pretty sure it ends up being more than 10 drinks. Everybody has different levels of drinking and as long as it is not an on going thing or becoming an issue then drink away babe. I for one plan on having a few tonight and then I will scale down on my cals for the week to balance up.

I am also surprised at the reactions. Don't drink on an empty stomach though. Just go over on calories for that one day.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    That's equal to 3 Large glasses of wine, it's not going to kill her. She's going to get drunk.

You should eat, you'll feel like utter poo otherwise. You'll be drunk when everyone else is tipsy and puking by the time everyone else is drunk. Just log it, and keep an eye on your intake for the next couple of days.

Also, you'll definately need a kebab on the way home :tongue:
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options

No doubt. A bottle of vodka over 18 hours is really not that much, it's a tad over a drink an hour.
  • BarWench11
    Options
    I've done my time working bars (in Australia) and I can honestly say that ten drinks is a moderate night out for most people I have come across. For me personally, I try to limit myself to one night a week, during which I will usually have about a dozen - preferably single malts, neat, if you're buying... So many Judgy McJudgsters on this thread - I'm a little taken aback.

I usually put in a decent workout, eat a good meal beforehand, and space the odd pint of water in with my drinks. Oh, and I try to have something healthy to stuff in my gob if I arrive home with the drunchies.

700 calories is nothing when it comes time to celebrate all the accumulated hotness that comes from consistently good choices.