Fitness Misconceptions that drive you nuts?

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    I'm just curious to see what you guys have heard from people who don't know anything about fitness.

My most recent one? "Running makes your boobs smaller" *eye twitch*

Running most definitely made mine smaller :\

Granted, they were full of fat before, but still.....

I went through a binging period where I gained 30 lbs (20 lbs lighter than that now) and I would look down and think to myself... they ARE right! I had trouble fitting on dresses that fit before... and the stomach or legs or arms were not the issue.....

Running didn't make them smaller. Eating at a calorie deficit and losing body fat made them smaller. My friend genuinely believes that if she runs (and only runs without any kind of diet change or calorie deficit) her boobs will get smaller, and that simply isn't the case.

Uh, yes it will...... if you do NOT change your diet AT ALL and you were not gaining, you can lose weight with just exercise :)

Also known as a calorie deficit :) But I understand what you meant in relation to her friend.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    that walking doesn't count as exercise and if you do count it you "may as well be counting how many times you walk to the bathroom because its the same thing" I actually was told this in this forum before. Too bad that is exactly how I have lost my weight. :laugh: I guess "going to the bathroom" really pays off. lol
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    that walking doesn't count as exercise and if you do count it you "may as well be counting how many times you walk to the bathroom because its the same thing" I actually was told this in this forum before. Too bad that is exactly how I have lost my weight. :laugh: I guess "going to the bathroom" really pays off. lol

Oh don't get me started! Walking is the best kind of exercise. You can make it as easy or as hard as you want. It's highly adjustable so it has something to offer to every fitness level. You can adjust speed, incline and carried weight, each of which adds to the challenge and calories burned. Try brisk walking a 15 incline at 4 mph carrying a 50 pound weighted vest and you will burn roughly the same amount as sprinting a 6 minute mile with no added weight or incline!
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Muscle weighs more than fat

I am sure, this is the absolute biggest misconception.

How so? Please explain the physics in detail.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Muscle weighs more than fat

I am sure, this is the absolute biggest misconception.

How so? Please explain the physics in detail.

LOL, now I am confused. Oh yes, wait, 1 lbs fat weighs a lot more than 1 lbs of muscle.
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    I'm just curious to see what you guys have heard from people who don't know anything about fitness.

My most recent one? "Running makes your boobs smaller" *eye twitch*

Running most definitely made mine smaller :\

Granted, they were full of fat before, but still.....

I went through a binging period where I gained 30 lbs (20 lbs lighter than that now) and I would look down and think to myself... they ARE right! I had trouble fitting on dresses that fit before... and the stomach or legs or arms were not the issue.....

Running didn't make them smaller. Eating at a calorie deficit and losing body fat made them smaller. My friend genuinely believes that if she runs (and only runs without any kind of diet change or calorie deficit) her boobs will get smaller, and that simply isn't the case.

Uh, yes it will...... if you do NOT change your diet AT ALL and you were not gaining, you can lose weight with just exercise :)

That's assuming your regular diet isn't a surplus and you aren't gaining. (Which she is.)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    ... actually no, I can't be bothered to troll today ...

edit: post deleted by poster
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    I had to jump in just cause it is a fun topic...

I went to my doctor for an annual checkin and verbalized frustration regarding my plateaus...My MD (who is overweight) you are fine and probably should stop trying. If you keep losing, you are at risk for a decreased immune system. Luckily, I am a nurse and work with him and called BS.

But imagine all the people out there....sheesh
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    That if you're eating at a deficit you will lose.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Spot reduction

" I'm doing 100 crunches a day to reduce my big belly "

:laugh:

This.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    All calories are the same!!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    +1 to "Running is bad for your knees".

If I had a dollar for every time someone has said that to me, I'd be a rich woman.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    "I work out for an hour everyday and eat 1200 calories a day and I don't lose weight." A friend told me that once at the gym...she was on the elliptical going at a snails pace because she "doesnt like to sweat" and on the way out got cheetos and a juice from the vending machine....
    lolol!:laugh:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member

Uhmmm...

That's not a misconception.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member

Uhmmm...

Agreed. If you're at a deficit, what exactly is being stored?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    The one that pisses me off the most is that people say if you are big you are unhealthy with a bunch of diseases and that only diet and exercise can help you lose weight. Or that there is no way a big person can be malnurished.

:huh:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member

Uhmmm...

There's no place for the conservation of energy in this conversation!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    If a women lifts weights she will get bulky like a man. Stick to cardio girlie
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member

Uhmmm...

Laughs, I knew this would get someone. Okay I'm 135 and 5'4. I've eaten at under 1300 cal for the last 3 months. Three weeks ago I stalled out. I lift heavy 5 days a week followed by 25-30 minutes of cardio. My BMR is 1325, my TDEE is 2061. I've lost nothing in 3 weeks. I'm either a very bad logger (NOT), yes I use a digital scale and I'm anal, or I'm NOT losing at a deficit!
    Yes I would LOVE advice/explanation.
    P.S. I raised my calories 1 week ago today to 1600, still exactly the same.
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    that you have to work out like crazy 3 hours a day to lose weight.

that exercise needs to be a chore.

That lifting heavy makes you bulky (as a girl) and instead you should sit on those stupid thigh machines doing 200 reps at the lowest weight.....