Ketogenic Diet - How many carbs do you eat?

Options

Replies

• judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later!
  • Marsha_75
    Marsha_75 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm stumped on what to eat, in order to keep carbs 30 or below. Can you give some examples of your breakfast, lunch, supper please? Thanks.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm stumped on what to eat, in order to keep carbs 30 or below. Can you give some examples of your breakfast, lunch, supper please? Thanks.
    Hi Marsha, my diary is open. I don't keep carbs under 30g simply because I've already been keto for 3.5 years and I'm a big-eater / exerciser. But I'm typically around 45g unless it's been a HUGE exercise day.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Here are the rules that got me started (from Why We Get Fat, by Gary Taubes). That was on 20 grams a day, but you can adapt it to 30.:

Foods to eat every day:
    - Salad greens: at least 2 cups a day. Includes arugula, bok choy, cabbage, chard, chives, endive, greens, kale, lettuce, parsley, spinach, radicchio, radishes, scallions, and watercress. (If it is a leaf, you may eat it).
    - Vegetables: at least 1 cup daily (measured uncooked). Includes artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, eggplant, green beans, jicama, leeks, mushrooms, okra, onions, peppers, pumpkin, shallots, snow peas, sprouts, sugar snap peas, summer squash, tomatoes, rhubarb, wax beans, zucchini
    - Bouillon or clear broth (consomme) is recommended unless you are on a sodium-restricted diet for hypertension or heart failure. This is for sodium replenishment.

Other foods to eat. Use these to feel full:
    Meat: beef, pork, ham, bacon, lamb, veal, other. For processed meats make sure the label says 1 gram per serving or less.
    Poultry: chicken, turkey, duck, or other fowl
    Fish and shellfish: Any fish, including tuna, salmon, catfish, bass, trout, shrimp, scallops, crab, and lobster
    Eggs: Whole eggs are permitted without restriction.

These foods allowed in limited quantities:
    Cheese: up to 4 ounces a day. Hard, aged cheeses like swiss, cheddar, brie, mozzarella, cream cheese. Make sure the carb count on the label is less than 1 g per serving.
    Cream: up to 4 tablespoonfuls a day. Includes heavy, light, or sour cream (not half and half)
    Mayonnaise: up to 4 tablespoons per day. find a low-carb brand like Hellmann's or Duke's (it doesn't specify how low, probably 2 g per serving or less)
    Olives: up to 6 a day
    Avocado: up to 1/2 a fruit per day
    Lemon/lime juice: up to 4 teaspoons a day
    soy sauce: up to 4 tablespoons a day. Find a low-carb brand like Kikkoman (again, it doesn't specify how low it should be)
    Pickles, Dill or Sugar-Free: up to 2 servings a day.

Don't buy lean meats. Eat the fat and skin that comes with it. Cook your vegetables in olive oil, coconut oil, butter, or bacon grease. I like to cook my meat and then cook the veggies in the fat that remains at the bottom of the pan. You've got three goals here: eat enough protein, eat your vegetables, and eat to satiety (that's why you need the fat).

At 30 g/day, you probably can't eat any fruit.
  • yahvinah
    yahvinah Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok lots of misinformation flying around...

Ketosis is NOT ketoacidosis - if you were in ketoacidosis you would slip into a coma and die... A medical emergency for Type I diabetics.

Muscle will be burned for a short period, then fat preferentially. Your body will not NUKE your muscles from being in ketosis.
    Anecdotal evidence: I have my body composition monitored by my personal trainer, with calipers, and I lost far less muscle mass with my weight loss on 25g of carbs per day, than unlimited carbs on strict low calories.

I was a CALORIE addict. I know the caloric amount to everything I eat in my normal life by heart, but my weight loss stagnated for several months, despite refeeds, cycling, very low cals 900, mod cals 1500, high dieting cals 1800. I could not shift 1lb until I got into ketosis and dropped a massive 20lbs in 3 weeks. After a 3 month plateau...

Someone asked why would you run a house on a back up generator, when you'd ideally use the mains power... Because when you are obese you have 10,000 generators in your backyard waiting to be used up...

Your body is exquisitely complex, it adjusts, you'll live.

I'm a ketosis believer now.
  • Yahvinah82
    Yahvinah82 Posts: 2
    Options
    Haha responded from my old profile!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

You can check my diary! I eat a lot of homemade things I make in bulk. I'll occasionally have something from a fast food joint, but I order the lowest carb thing I can find, which is usually salads, although if you eat at tacobell, you can have a hard shelled taco and a side of black beans for under 20 net carbs.
  • GinaLivinLaKetoLoco
    GinaLivinLaKetoLoco Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Read the book, Keto-adapted By Maria Emmerich. I think you'll have a better understanding of just how a healthy a Ketogenic diet works and the healing it causes in your body. Fruit is good when we were hunter gathers and needed those carbs to fatten up for winter. Think of a bear and berries, they eat fruit to fatten up for winter. Fruit is very high on the glycemic index and our bodies don't differentiate between the sugars in any form, whether it is from fruit or straight table sugar to bread, it is all sugar to the body and raises your insulin causing inflammation.Inflammation is what causes disease .So anything with a moderate to high glycemic index is still sugar to your body. If your going to eat fruit have them in very limit quantities and try and stick with berries since they are the lowest of all fruit on the glycemic index... a 5% carbs 15% protein, (because to much protein also will turn to carbs in your body) and 80% fat is what anyone on a well formulated Keto adapted diet should be having.. Also check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC1vMBRFiwEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC1vMBRFiwE
  • cheyenneeeeeee
    Options
    Your total net carbs are carbs minus fiber. so DO NOT avoid fruits. if you calculate net carbs from fruit it's like nothing!
  • cheyenneeeeeee
    Options
    Your total net carbs are carbs minus fiber. so DO NOT avoid fruits. if you calculate net carbs from fruit it's like nothing!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    No offense, but this information is incredibly WRONG.

Royal Gala Apple, medium: 22g carbohydrate, 3g fiber
    Pear, medium: 26g carbohydrate, 5g fiber
    Banana, Medium: 27g carbohydrate, 3g fiber
    Watermelon, 2 cups: 23g carbohydrate, 1g fiber
    Orange, navel: 21g carbohydrate, 4g fiber
    Grapes, 1 cup: 16g carbohydrate, 1g fiber
    Cherries, 1 cup w/o Pits: 19g carbohydrate, 2g fiber

If you're going to eat any fruit, make it limited amounts of some berries:

Raspberries, raw, 1/2C: 7g carbohydrate, 4g fiber
    Blackberries, raw, 1/2C: 7g carbohydrate, 4g fiber
    Strawberries, raw, 4 medium: 4g carbohydrate, 1g fiber

Watch blueberries - they're much higher in carbohydrate/lower in fiber than the above. FYI all the above berries are 3g net carbohydrate...
  • mellystubbs
    Options
    Today is day one of eating Keto for me. I am eating 70% from fat and about 45g of carbs. Is that still too much? I am vegetarian so its a bit hard for me to not eat veggies. Even a salad with no tomatoes seems to be about 10g of carbs. The a whole avocado is 14g and 1/4c raw macadamia nuts is 5g and I made coconut curry which was about 12g.

Also I'm curious I any of you eat cheese? Thank you
  • mellystubbs
    Options
    Wow! 20 lbs in three weeks, thats amazing! Today is my first day of eating for Keto. I am curious if you eat cheese? Any tips on eating for ketosis as a vegetarian?

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated! :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    OP... under 100 keeps you in ketosis... most start really low and do some pump workouts to burn out all the glycogen and get into ketosis dfast.. youll feel like crap til your body adjusts.... many do a TKD (targetted ketogenic diet) when they eat more carbs surrounding workouts.... You can do this and perform better in the gym while staying in keto... also, once youve been in keto for over a month people often jump out of keto (refeed) for a day or so just to let their body even out and improve training capacity... do your research

Keto isnt crazy but you should be doing some supplementation since you cant really eat much fruit.... I wouldnt make it a lifestyle, but, its fine for quite a while.... Some people do really well switching their energy source to fat... others never adjust

its the right answer for plenty of people.. especially overweight people who just dont have the capacity to eat carbs in moderation... (too big of a psychological bond)

im talking about eating the same amount of calories as woudl be suggested by any diet.... not some stupid fad diet that says eat whatever the F you want as long as its not carbs.. thats just stupid..

Wait... less than 100 net carbs puts you in keto?

I am averaging, in the past two weeks, about 76 net carbs per day. Surely that's not low enough for ketogenesis?
  • JusticejamesbMBA
    JusticejamesbMBA Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know that I try to stay <80 carbs a day. I eat salt and olive oil on everything, drink tons of water, and workout 5 - 6 days a week. I eat this way because I have pretty advanced MS. My neurologist has told me about the Keto diet and honestly I feel wonderful! The first couple of weeks was hard, but I was 310 at graduation in May. I'm now 270 Aug. 15th; so basically 3 months. I would recommend eating low carb to everyone!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Just in case the OP still might benefit from this information - because i can't read 7pages of notes on this question to find out,

check out the nutrition calculator on this site PHLAUNT.COM I've only capitalised for ease of reading. She has lots of other good info too. the calculator over there will tell you calories, how much fat, how much protein and how much you will lose. USE IT.

you don't need to go as low as 20 carbs. I was doing 40 carbs and i felt that was too low for me. Start high is my advice because then you get the ketogenic benefit of low carb (meaning your brain can also burn fat after your body stars producing enough ketones) and the reduced appetite from eat low carb while you can still eat a wide variety of yummy foods. I think the more foods you are able to eat the easier the diet is to stick with longer term. As a general rule its about 90 net carbs that you need to still be in ketosis. But this will vary from person to person. Its going to be lower for someone with insulin resistance and other metabolic disorders. If you are in good health it will probably be closer to 90.

As for exercise and low carb i've been told to read the book a book by Phinney and Volek about performance and low carb. Its not the art and science one, its their other book with the word performance in the title.

From what i read in your first post you don't really know enough about low carb. You need to read more - probably a book about how to do it. Ruhl from the site above has one that is supposed to be good. I've read atkins and the art and science.
  • white_space
    Options
    I started with a cyclic ketogenic diet, and now moving into a phase of pure keto without any carb refeeds. its gone well so far, probably been the best diet I have been on. I tend to keep carbs under 30 grams and quite often come in at around 20.
    this site was a great tool for calculating the nutrition I need;
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/