Skinny Bi**h Book

Options
12345679»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ETA: I don't know what it is with ALL your links. I either need a password to access or they come back as a bad gateway. I wonder if the internet is just saying "don't even bother. Not worth it." :laugh:

Because you aren't a student at columbia.edu?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't think she really went about it in the right way, but the girl talking about how vegetarian diets are healthier is in fact correct. I'm a public health student at an Ivy League university and was taught this information. I sound like a total a$$hat for saying that but I feel like I need some credibility.

I also found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121650/ simply by googling. If you think a professor of public health at an Ivy is wrong, want to disagree with the NIH?

Meat consumption is linked to increased risk of cancer, heart disease, and metabolic syndrome- basically all chronic diseases.

Also there is no ethical argument to support meat consumption. Just because our bodies can do it does not make it ethical. Just because it happens in nature does not make it ethical. *TW* Rape occurs in nature among other animals, but I sincerely doubt you'll find a sane person who thinks rape is ethical.

That all being said, I'm an omnivore. I like burgers. I need more protein. I know it's not ethical and increases my risk for chronic disease but I do it anyway. I'm too lazy to do it and I like my meat foods too much.

There's nothing wrong with being an omnivore, but even if I don't want to go veg or vegan, I accept that I would be a more ethical and perhaps healthier person if I did.

Please read what you quote.
    The article notes a) higheri risks with processed meats, less so with red mean, even less with lean meats b) significant potential for confounding correlation due to higher energy intake of red meat eaters (research elsewhere correlates energy intake to similar cancer rates highlighting this causality) c) relative increases in cancer risk of 13-30% do not provide information on longevity or end of life quality of life. (Those studies that have looked at that show no significant increase in life expectancy among vegetarians) d) obesity, genetic and environmental factors are greater influences in cancer risk than diet. (Focus on those first.)

And as a student of an Ivy League school someone should have done their job and taught you the fallacy of appealing to authority.
    My argument isn't more valid because I have degrees from schools that have better public health programs than "Ivy" schools - any argument should stand on the merit of research. NIH does regularly support crap work. It's the reading audience roll to criticize that.
    You'll be a better student when you doubt and question the extent of the knowledge of your professors.

There are several ethical arguments that support meat consumption (these are not mine) - one may argue on biblical primacy - a type of manifest destiny not dissimilar to what was argued to justify land ownership, expansionism - there is also an argument genetic primacy which can be reduced to the idea that we would not have achieved our culture or advances without the easy availability and population growths engendered by having easy protein sources. I do not make these arguments but show them (valid or not, but certainly historical) as to address your statement that "there are no ethical arguments supporting meat eating" as an Ivy League student you should be more circumspect and attempt to make less overarching statements.

:flowerforyou:
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    That book was truly horrible. One book you might enjoy (if you're thinking about what to eat based on its source) is The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. He has a lot to say about slow food, natural foods, and ethnically/sustainably raised foods.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It's your decision. Not anyone else's. I went vegan because it made sense to me ethically, morally and health-wise. After 3 years, I feel better than ever, have more energy, enjoy food more, and feel like I'm being the change I wish to see in the world- (non-violence, compassion, peace).

Read more books about the subject and check out vegankit.com which is a great resource. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • elispeli
    elispeli Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well this thread has been an interesting read. :noway:

I've never read that book, mostly because my friends thought it was pushing what they call the "thin agenda"
    I don't know about all of that.

But I can tell you that cutting meat out of my diet changed the way I view the world. It changed how I eat, take care of my body, and work in the kitchen. It's fantastic and I will never, ever go back. I've been phasing out dairy for four years now. I only eat it once a week and I feel like a golden flower blowing in the winds of the garden of Eden...or something. Once I get rid of it completely I'll be healthier than ever. It's amazing.

IMHO It's the best decision you can make. Everyone who tells you otherwise will probably have never tried it or "tried it for two weeks and didn't like it".

Cheers, friend. Do what feels right to you. :heart:
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well this thread has been an interesting read. :noway:

I've never read that book, mostly because my friends thought it was pushing what they call the "thin agenda"
    I don't know about all of that.

But I can tell you that cutting meat out of my diet changed the way I view the world. It changed how I eat, take care of my body, and work in the kitchen. It's fantastic and I will never, ever go back. I've been phasing out dairy for four years now. I only eat it once a week and I feel like a golden flower blowing in the winds of the garden of Eden...or something. Once I get rid of it completely I'll be healthier than ever. It's amazing.

IMHO It's the best decision you can make. Everyone who tells you otherwise will probably have never tried it or "tried it for two weeks and didn't like it".

Cheers, friend. Do what feels right to you. :heart:

I would tell her otherwise (for reasons that should be made clear if you read the thread)...and I have not eaten meat for a LOT longer than you have.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I haven't read it, nor will I, but I can't help feeling that a random pair of ex-models aren't going to be the best source for health advice.

This. EXACTLY THIS.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    nuhno.gif

LMFAO!! ^^^^ This!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Just by the fact that the title is something that is usually used as a way to insult me for having a certain body type, I wouldn't give it a second glance.

The way you described it pretty much confirmed my judgment. :drinker:
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I haven't read it, nor will I, but I can't help feeling that a random pair of ex-models aren't going to be the best source for health advice.

This. EXACTLY THIS.

Ditto. Have you actually seen or heard that woman who wrote it? Rory whassherface. Complete. Fruitloop.