I know you're a tourist because ....

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You wear a long skirt and a may even throw a scarf loosely on your head. Trust me, whatever you were wearing before getting on the plane is probably fine, and no, you won't be arrested for wearing shorts.

You are creeped out if your car breaks down and 10 men appear out of nowhere to help (regardless of your gender)

You don't haggle

You try to haggle at the mall

Don't ask me where you can ride a camel. You most certainly aren't going to see one until you reach your tourist attraction.

LOL, I saw a camel head and skin hanging outside of the butcher shop the other day. It's the only camel I've seen here other than the ones they have in the resort towns... though I do still see donkey carts even in the capital city.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You USE your umbrella.
    You wait in line at the flagship Starbucks instead of going down the street.
    You can't pronounce Puyallup.
    You call caribou "reindeer"
    You've never seen bison.
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,785 Member
    Options
    You ask for mild salsa...
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Any police officer you see on a horse you want a picture with because he or she MUST be a Mountie.
    Every time you see the CN Tower you stop to take a picture. It's 8 billion feet tall you can see it from almost every part of the city.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Or they eat on the tube.

Yeah.... I studied abroad in London for a semester and one day I was late and thought I could bring my breakfast with me and eat while I commute. Because I did that in California on the train. So it would be ok, right?

Everyone looked at me. Everyone.

I admit it. I am a tourist. I probably picked up on very few subtleties while there, but I loved it!

quote]
    You come in a group of at least 3. You have a backpack, preferably on your tummy. You are loud. You don't queue. You don't say sorry when you actually hit people who happen to walk too close to you. You are excited. You have a map and have to make a plan for the expedition, although you are actually on Oxford Street.

this
    And you stand at top of steps from underground checking your map and blocking the exit for others
    Your massive back pack ( on your back) hits others in the face and you are oblivious- this happened to me yesterday in London on underground grrrr
    [/quote]
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You actually LIKE Hollywood Blvd

You think the Hollywood sign is a big deal

You take pictures next to the Hollywood Star off your choice

You walk reaaaallyyyy slowly down Hollywood Blvd

You wear a backpack, have a big camera, and have a huge map in hand

OMG! Yes yes yes!!

And they think they can photograph ANYONE they like. lol

Technically they can. It's a public place. :smile:

Hollywood blvd was more fun when it was dirty and full of weirdos. Now it's a touristy craphole.
    Except I still love the Roosevelt.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Cheese Curds...fresh Cheddar cheese in its natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks and aged. Curds have a mild taste with a slightly rubbery texture and should squeak when eaten. *Note: Freshness may be lost 24 hours after opening package

Deep-Fried Cheese Curds…a specialty of the Midwest where fresh curds are dipped in a beer-based batter before being placed in a deep fryer.

Squeak…the trademark sound from a fresh cheese curd. Squeak should be high-pitched, audible with every bite and sound comparable to "balloons trying to neck," (The New York Times). *Note: Squeak may be lost 12 hours after opening package.

I'm a Texan but my mom is from Minnesota so I know what curds are.. and I keep seeing them for sale in various "we have pretentious food" shops, and I keep trying them and they keep telling me they're fresh before I buy them and they're ALWAYS aged. You can't get decent curds in Texas. *sad*
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Aren't we all tourists at some point? If you're not, I truly feel bad for you, you need to get out more.
  • Joannah700
    Options
    Aren't we all tourists at some point? If you're not, I truly feel bad for you, you need to get out more.

Oh yes. I think we're all tourists. I grew up in Southern California, around beaches and LA but I admit freely about my tourist tendencies. There are so many cultures and sub-cultures in the area that I am a tourist most places I go. We walk around with our backgrounds and culture in our very manner.

I've walked into a bar in London and before I could even open my mouth the bartender asked what part of California I was from. I was wearing a black pea coat in winter with slacks and loafers so I could only assume it was my manner and not my dress.

I think we're all enjoying the fact that we can identify the tourists in our neighborhood because we have adopted some cultural norms ourselves.

Maybe.
  • marwamelmenshawy
    marwamelmenshawy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    well you do look too different than the entire nation lol
  • Joannah700
    Options
    well you do look too different than the entire nation lol

Not true. In person, I get mistaken for Indian a lot.
  • Rochelle951
    Rochelle951 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    You have a Fannie pouch
  • W0nderGiirl
    W0nderGiirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When you stop right in the middle of the damn sidewalk to take pictures of the advertisements on the oversized televisions' in Times Square!

When you're taking pictures with a guy dressed as 'Elmo' although he smells like booze.