Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    @ robin - I did decide to go with LEDs. I bought undercounter units that have 4-6 integrated LEDs. I also spurgled on a new fixture for the ceiling. I currently have one of those lovely fluorescent fixtures that builders are so fond of installing. I bought a fixture that's a drum shade with an interior glass diffuser. It a semi flush mount so will project down into the room about a foot. Since I have 10' ceilings it should work well. I bought 75 watt daylight LED bulbs for this fixture. They should provide great light and they're manufactured in Durham NC and the owner/CEO of the company is a Carolina alum just like me. Win, win!!

@skinnyjeanz and @susan - Let's plan toward a race in Charlotte in fall of 2015. I do not currently run, but would train for and run a 5k with my Robin's Thread buddies!!

August Challenge - At or under daily calorie goal 13/16

Good Days: 13
    Not so Good Days: 2
    Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Days: 1
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Whee, happy Sunday all! Welcome to the new folks! I'll catch up some when I get a free hour or so!

My foot pain is almost gone, but not willing to jinx myself, so still restricting myself to weights for another week or so. Life in general has been a pile of hectic and an even bigger pile of coping with unforeseen happenings. Things are starting to taper off, thankfully.
    Had a bumper crop from the apricot tree in my back yard this season! I'm in the middle of preparing some for pie filling. What few don't get eaten raw by the family will be dehydrated for the winter. :)
    <3 to you all!
  • bug6lover
    bug6lover Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :tongue:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

@mzfrizz--I love apricots!! :heart:

@L2T--I've never traveled in the Fall b/c it's the start of the school year and things are so hectic at work. This NY trip in September will be my first attempt, and I'm a bit nervous about trying to stay caught up with grading so I can enjoy myself. I will see how it goes before committing to another Fall trip next year. Obviously for me, summer is the best time to travel, but I'm sure June and July aren't the best temps for running races in Charlotte. :laugh:

@laurie--Good luck starting back tomorrow. He have only one inservice day this friday and then students start the following monday. I already went back a couple of weeks ago to get my room set up--my district doesn't give us any paid time for that. :ohwell: I'm also sad I won't have as much time to be active and do outdoorsy stuff, but I'm going to really work to balance work and "me" time.

@blturner--nice to see you pop in! :flowerforyou:

@tom--are you sure yesterday wasn't National Rum Day? Because I'm pretty sure I celebrated National Rum Day yesterday. :laugh:

@nettie--If you come scrub my kitchen, I will come mow your lawn. :wink:

@tvmama--that's how I try to approach my nutrition goals--focusing on adding the good. I think it works better and eliminates that deprived feeling. :flowerforyou:

@brenda--congrats on winning the training session! Can you share where you will be traveling?

@erienne--glad you like the new runners and they are helping with your knee pain. Can you ask your DH to only buy the pop he likes? That way you aren't depriving him, but you won't be tempted. As far as ice cream goes--it is my biggest weakness, so I rarely buy it. When I do, I buy WW or Skinny Cow. If I want to splurge on the real thing, I either buy novelty items that are already portioned (like Dove or Magnum bars), or I buy the tiny singe serve portions of Haagen Daas or Ben & Jerry's. They aren't the best bargain, but it's only once in a big while and it keeps me from overdoing it. Maybe ask your DH to switch to those options if he must bring ice cream into the house.

@lori--aren't you so glad you logged that binge so you could see that it wasn't as bad as you thought? Great job being honest with your food diary. :drinker:

@laurie--That's good that our flights home are all close so the 3 of us can share a cab to the airport. :smile:

@robin--hope you enjoyed your bailey's. :drinker: Oh, and I'm drawing a blank on the voodoo dolls reference you made. :huh:

@susan--yes, Flea can rock, but I'm more partial to Anthony Kiedis. :love:

Welcome to the newlings, and sorry I didn't get to everyone in the personals. I'll catch you on the next round. :flowerforyou:

Wow, it has been a crazy weekend. Remember how marsha (grammywhammy) told that frightening story about her in-laws' dog and how it died from an infection from a hidden neck wound? Well, gunner is alive and kicking, but he also had a hole in his neck that we didn't see at first. Friday I even brushed him head to toe--with lots of attention to his neck area b/c he LOVES it--and never saw any signs of an injury.

After reading marsha's post Friday night, I remembered that after I brushed gunner, his fur was a little wet on his neck. There was no blood on my hand, so I thought it was just from moisture on the grass that he had been rolling in. But the memory nagged at me all night, so saturday morning I brushed gunner again--again no signs of blood or an injury. When I was done brushing him, there was that wetness again on his neck, so I did a closer inspection. Sure enough, buried under his fur was a small hole in his neck--I could see clear through to the muscle underneath. :noway: Needless to say, I freaked out and was sure he was going to drop dead, right then and there, of an infection. I called the vet and got him in and all is well. The vet gave him an antibiotic shot and prescribed a course of oral antibiotics to start today. He decided not to suture it b/c he doesn't want an abcess to form, and suggested a warm compress a few times a day to draw out any fluid so it can heal from the inside out. He said gunner had a mild fever, so chances are there was an infection looming which could have killed him if not caught in time. THANK YOU MARSHA FOR YOUR STORY!!! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @ebailey710 - I too have husband that is not always conscious of my goals. I have this posted on my fridge:

WILL POWER IS LIKE A MUSCLE - THE MORE YOU USE IT THE STRONGER IT GETS.

I do not always adhere to that but it does remind me that no one else puts food in my mouth, just me.

Workout did not go quite as planned, bought a new sports bra and discovered it has more bounce than the old one. I will have to wear a different one if I want to do the elliptical. However I did keep up for the entire lunge track in Bodypump!

Love to all
    Lori
  • Mine_Time
    Mine_Time Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So this is the first time I have posted to this thread. It looks like a great way to get motivated and get some help. First of all anyone that wants to be friends please go ahead and request.

This weekend the biggest thing for me was getting back on take. My real dad died June 20th and I have been struggling every since I found out he had cancer 3 weeks before he past. So this weekend was all about getting back on track. I also realized that I can't do this on my own. I need help. I also realized that I still have some root hurts to deal with in this journey in order to finish it. So a lot of soul searching.

I have stayed under my calorie count and I am excited to be able to say that. Today has been the hardest. I wanted ice cream and candy so bad and soda, But I did not allow myself any.

Anyways I hope to friend some more friends to walk this journey will.

Have a bless day.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,092 Member
    Options
    I lost you guys for a while. Have been having Internet issues. :grumble: :angry: :grumble:

Hello again!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Lin:glasses:
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Begin week 4 tomorrow! So far, 17/17 under goal, though sometimes just barely.

Saw The Giver yesterday. Lived up to my expectations despite liberties taken with plot/setting/age of main character et cetera. On the way home I stopped in at the pharmacy and saw a woman take a horrific fall in the parking lot, hitting her head! Didn't lose consciousness, but immediately got a big goose egg on her temple and was too shaky to walk, so I called 911. She had a service dog in her car and I waited with her pooch until someone arrived after the EMTs took her to the hospital. So glad I saw that movie because I was in the right place/time to help.

nettie: BOY-O-BOY-O-BOY!

Laurie: Thanks for the tip about the transport wheelchair. Hubby's wc is a custom one built for a BIG GUY, and all that metal makes it really heavy. I'll look into transport wc's to see if they come in super-size. What he really needs is a mobility chair, but Mr. Denial won't discuss it.

Karen/skinny: Whew! That was a close one. So glad you were vigilant and that Gunner's going to be okay. :smile: I almost didn't post that story because I tend to be a bit of a worrywart (so my kids say). Give the puppy a pat from his internet friend.

Rain today and maybe tomorrow! It's going to be a great week.

Smile everyone, it's almost Monday! :tongue:

GW>Marsha
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Phew! I'm caught up!

A little Sunday Share: I am 34 years old, married (almost 8 years) with a 7 yo DD and 5 yo DS. My weight and body image have been a struggle probably since puberty. I reached my top weights while pregnant with my first and then again a couple years ago after having a miscarriage. One day at work, I stepped on the scale and saw 295. I wasn't pregnant. I hadn't been pregnant for over a year and a half. And I was almost 300 lbs. I did not want to see that 300, so I got online, found MFP and started logging. The first year, I had a handful of MFP friends that included my sister and a coworker, but it all fell apart last summer after I took a promotion at work and started stress-eating and felt "too busy" to focus on exercise. I gained back much of the 40 lbs I had lost.

I started anew in 2014 with the new year. My husband and I joined a three-month weight loss challenge at a local shoe store. I started working out regularly with a friend and I found this thread....aka, my accountability headquarters! I have worked my way back to where I was last summer again...40 lbs gone. I hope I will be able to say I am down more than 50 lbs by the end of this year.

So it sounds like it's been a crazy couple of weeks for many of you! Kudos to everyone for plodding along through all their struggles, weight loss related or not. Hang in there, kittens! :drinker:

Welcome to the many, many, many, many new people who have checked in since I checked out! You're in a great place for support. Slowly, but surely, we are working toward our goals!

Nettie- I predict girl! :smile:
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    We are home and I am ready to really buckle down on the August goals even if the month is half gone. I did get a good walk every day, but my eating was pretty bad.
    It is so exciting to have so many new people with us. We all have challenges, but we have to take responsibility for our own health and our own choices. I love that we are all here to support each other and give each other motivation to make good choices.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @marsha--you are doing so great!! :drinker:

@lin--hi! :flowerforyou:

@lori--I hate it when sports bras don't do their job. :grumble: I have a whole bunch that are useless for any type of cardio b/c I didn't "test them out" thoroughly in the fitting room. Now I know better and always make sure they are supportive before I spend my money.

Saturday Success:
    Nothing specific--just that I'm generally doing good with both calories and exercise. This week will be my last big push before going back to work on friday. Still getting very close to my protein goal most days as well (though yesterday was abysmal :blushing: ).

Sunday Share:
    I have a race on Thursday that I wish I were more prepared for. :ohwell: I will run once more tomorrow, and then take 2 rest days before the 5k. Last year I ran the same race in 36:06 and my 5k PB is 35:59, so those are some numbers that I will be shooting for this week.

Still no walks for gunner, but I did a lot of walking and dancing at the festival yesterday. Had a lot of fun with old and new friends. Probably had a few too many cocktails, but at least I wasn't hung over today--just tired so it was a pretty lazy day.

Exercise Goals:
    Mon--gym
    Tues--rest
    Wed--walk gunner (?)
    Thurs--walk gunner + 5k
    Fri--walk gunner + gym
    Sat--walk gunner
    Sun--walk gunner

August Challenge:
    Cumulative calorie surplus (shortage) = -24
    100g of protein = 5/31 days
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Laurie - GREAT SUCCESS getting down to your HS weight and getting out of the obese category! You must be on top of the world! :bigsmile:

BettJo - I also share your joy every morning - I automatically wake up in a great mood and am thankful for EVERYTHING that I see - to the point that its almost comical! Buy I do understand every word you used. Especially since you have faught cancer and it sounds like your still fighting it. What is the lapband surgery for - is it to remove excess tissue that you've already lost? I wish you great success with that - you will feel so much more in shape and your body image will improve immediately!

cblue - from the sound of your plans you're working out about 2 hours today - WOW :noway: I am impressed - super athelete! Amazing!

ebailey - I enjoy Pinterest but it consumes the time doesn't it! Maybe stick notes on the ice ceam that states its yor Hubby's only?

Brenda - good for you for being prepared. I think thats a big help in this effort. As far as travel goes, it sounds like your mission is very, very important ~ I wish you the very best luck.

tvmama - oooh, I l ike your plans! so glad you are working things out according to YOUR preferences! :flowerforyou:

JNettie - thanks for reminding me of Boston Cream Pie - I hadn't thought of that in a good 10 years! Yumm! :happy:

Morgori - Vanilla is my FAVORITE flavoring over anything - even wins over chocolate!

Biturner - glad to see you dropping by! :love: please, stop in again!

msfrizz - wise decision to protect your foot for another week! :flowerforyou:

buglover - welcome - friend me if interested but mention the name of this threadOK - and come back here
    often.

Skinny - wow that is scary about Gunner and the "just wetness" on his neck - I thank Marsha as well for sharing her story. I'll never forget it! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Mine_Time - you'll have all the friends you can handle if you just show up on this thread at least 4 times a week _ more if you can give the time up to do it. I'm so sorry about your dad and know how hard it is to lose a parent. Loving him doesn't ever stop either. So you stay united that way.

Linder - hay skinny minney - so is your internet finalley working for good? I sure hope so! How frustrating to be without our modern conveniences!

GW -Marsha - wow talk about being in the right place at the right time - yeah she really did need 911 - thanks to you - you heroine!
    :heart: :heart:

GrdmaKaye - great attitude - and welcome home to probably piles of laundry!

AFM - SUNDAY SHARE:

Hi My on-line name is Robin but in real life I’m Ellen. I’ve been with MFP since August, 2010. I’m single,- twice divorced, no kids, can’t work –on disability, and frustrated with myself for taking so darn long to lose this weight. Life should be a lot more fulfilling at age 63! And I live in Omaha, Nebraska and its got the Henry Doorley Zoo – NOW considered THE BEST IN ZOO in the U.S.A.
    I can’t control the drugs I take encouraging me to hang onto weight, nor my health issues. What I can control is WHAT I EAT and my CHOICES OF ACTIVITY – I can increase activity to increase my over-all physical fitness and that’s what I am more interested in anyway.
    I started at 264 and now am at 231 – I was as low as 203. Thanks for everyone’s support.
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    I love how much you have been loyal to your food plan and that you 'binged' last night and actually binged on food that staying with in your guidelines....you are creating a brand new style of eating....way to go. And your exercise looks wonderful.
  • soosun
    Options
    cblue the above post is a reply to your post for Sunday, 8/17. I just didn't realize it would post at the very end instead of right below your post. Am learning the ropes here.
  • soosun
    Options
    Sunday Share

My BFF and I went to see 7 Salt Lake City Parade of Homes yesterday. They were all over 5000 square feet and pretty much were pre sold. We were just amazed at how much stuff were in these houses. Strangely enough we did not see anything we were in love with but we got in alot of stair climbing and just general walking for a few hours. It was fun.
    This morning my friend went for a run and I went for a walk. Her neighborhood is on the Avenues in Salt Lake City an area that is hilly as it is going up to the mountains that rim the city and the valley. So I walked downhill looking at beautiful historic houses and lovely landscaping of these very old smallish brick homes. I walke down hill for 40 minutes and when i got to the bottom of the hill and rounded the corner to go finish my walk it was a looooooong way back up. But I did it and ended up walking three miles in all. My knee did not bother me once so I think the healing is going so wonderfully. It was a great walk today and nice walking yesterday and a lot of walking on Thursday too. I am getting used to walking again, but I am in such a habit of walking slowly due to my torn minescus pre surgery knee that I am out of the habit of walking briskly. Something I have to consciously think about......this is a novel. Sorry to go on and on.

Weigh in for me tomorrow. I am eager to see if I have lost any weight this week, but more proud that I was lega all week recorded every thing and stayed on plan. Good for me.
  • Brenda_1129
    Brenda_1129 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Soosun~ That sounds like a fabulous day. I love going to look at homes especially the expensive ones that I would never be able to afford! It’s good to hear that you are healing. I know the troubles with knees as I am still healing from knee surgery as well. Good luck to you and nice job on the walking.

Monday Check In: Good Morning All. I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. My goal this weekend was to spend a lot of time doing schoolwork on Saturday so that I could only spend half of Sunday doing school. Well, that turned out to be wrong. I ended up spending 10 hours in front of my computer yesterday, partially because I am a perfectionist and partly because I was not as concentrated as I apparently needed to be on Saturday. On a positive note, hubby made a nice breakfast so I was full for most of the day, which prevented my snacking. When I finally needed a snack, I had grapes and water. Overall, it was a semi-productive weekend even though many things got pushed by the wayside. Time to move on with the new week. Today is a kickboxing day, which I am excited about. I really need a good workout to make the clouds in my head go away.

Have a great day everyone
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Okay I feel like I am never going to get caught up....Hehehe but I will. Here is my Monday question

I am curious. Let's say you burn over a 1,000 calories a day. Your food log shows you eat a lot but you are not able to net 1000+ calories for the day. Does that cause a problem in losing weight?
    Let me first say I know my food choices are not great but I am working on not eating out as much right now.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    @mnwalkingquee
    Are you saying that you're getting less than 1000 kcal per day after exercise? If so, that may cause your body to hang on to fat a bit longer. If I remember correctly, (feel free to correct me if I am mistaken) an average adult will need a minimum of 1200 kcal per day, after exercise.
    fyi, 1 kcal = 1 calorie.
  • cblue315
    Options
    Monday Motivation -

TREAT WILL POWER LIKE A MUSCLE - THE MORE YOU USE IT THE STRONGER IT GETS.

Next year is is my 55 th birthday. Since I cannot change that fact I've decided to do something momentous to celebrate.
    There is a triathlon sprint the week before my big day. I am announcing here that I intend to enter.
    This will help me follow through on this plan. I have until mid June to get ready for this.

Currently I swim almost 5 miles every week so the amount of training time is not an issue. However at this point I only dog paddle and back stroke. I will have to tackle the freestyle stroke at some point.

I do have a bike but it is about 10 years old and not in the best of shape. There is a bike shop around the corner from my store so I plan on trying out bikes over the next few months with the intent to purchase by Christmas.

Running is really the biggest hurdle. I never have run. I walk quite a bit but not really fast. Toward that issue I read the Couch to 5K plan and will be incorporating some of that into my weekly walking.

I know in my heart that I will need every one of you to reach these goals.

Love to all:love:
    Lori
  • cblue315
    Options
    @mnwalkingquee

Just me opinion but I think MFP tends to over estimate on the exercise calories. But that said if you net under a 1000cal/day and your body may rebel. Do what you think best for a few weeks and adjust as necessary. But if your body goes into starvation mode it may take a couple of months to get past that. My trainer says it is better to start too high then back off if you gain or are not loosing. Good luck :flowerforyou:
    Lori