Miserable about my weight & tears over photo

Options
Hey there,

Just giving a shout out for support. I am now 240 lbs (I have never been so fat) and I am miserable. I am up at least 30lbs since I got married less than two years ago. My ankles and knees hurt which makes it harder to get back into exercise.

I hate how I look. I never let people take pics of me and when I do a selfie I takes like 50 - 60 shots before I will begrudgingly post one. My sister took a pic of me at the weekend when I was not paying attention and I was HORRIFIED. The absolue state of me.

I was going to post it for motiviation but I actually can't because it literally reduced me to tears and I very rarely cry.

I keep giving up on MFP because so much else in my life is stressing me out. I need to find a way to do this that will work for me in the long term. I know there is no easy way but there has to be something to make it easier to stick to.......... It is fair to say that I have been just miserable lately. I can't keep living on take-out food..... and I'm only 30.

I love my hubby to bits but we are both lazy. I find it so hard to motivate myself and then trying to motivate him too just kills my motivation. He is not the problem though. Work and other things in life are so stressful at the moment.

I am also being bullied and I can't tell anyone other than my husband. For reasons I can't explain I can't even do anything about it. I am just exhausted all of the time.

Sorry for going on, I just wanted to reach out before I end up quitting this thing....... again. x

Replies

• MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Oh, please don't quit! I've got a ton of stress and pain in my life right now, too. I'll probably always have both, but I know being overweight just causes more. I can't exercise right now because my arthritis is so bad. I go to a pain clinic, and am getting shots in my hip later today. The doctor also told me that I'll be getting some in my lower spine at my next visit. I've managed to lose 18 pounds so far by just watching what I eat. I'm praying that once I've had the shots, I'll be able to start walking and doing crunches again. I know that losing weight will take stress off my joints, and I'm determined to succeed at this.

You are so young to be having pain in your joints, and I feel real bad you're suffering with this already. I'm sure at your age, it will disappear once you've gotten rid of some of your weight. Being horrified of photos is a great motivator. Someone at work took one of me, and I couldn't believe my eyes. I finally saw myself in a different light, and knew that if I ever wanted to get some semblance of my life back, I had to lose the extra baggage. It's a now or never type of deal.

When I was your age, I was around 125 pounds. After a few years, it crept up to 156. My husband was planning a vacation to Jamaica, and I didn't want to go looking the way I did. I began exercising religiously, and got up to 300 crunches a day. Needless to say, when the trip finally rolled around, I was 117 pounds with a well toned stomach. Due to health issues over the years, I started my second time around on MFP at 204. The older I get, the harder it is to get rid of. It's not just a slower metabolism that makes things more difficult; it's also the wear and tear on your joints from aging. I refuse to continue with my pattern of giving up.

I'd be more than happy to help you stay motivated! Feel free to send a friend request if you'd like. :) We all need support on this journey.
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!

also be careful what you post on here.
    i have noticed some people can be quite nasty

don't give up.
  • Lemster33
    Lemster33 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just take one day at a time and try to stay focused, the only person you have to try and keep on track is yourself! you keep making the wrong decisions but your letting yourself do that so give yourself that push you deserve :)
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat - I got on the scales 2 years ago and was shocked by the number I saw (266) - I've also been big, but not that big! It's taken me two years of slow and steady progress to lose 50lbs but even after bad days, weeks and sometimes months I've hopped back on the wagon and kept going, picking up a new healthy habit each time.

I'm lazy too so building exercise into my routine is difficult, even after two years it's so easy to talk myself out of it. But it helps with stress. If your knees and ankles hurt, what about swimming? or yoga? I find both are very helpful when I'm stressed out - even if it's just giving me 'me time' away from that situation.

It is possible to lose weight without exercising, you just have to keep going and keep re-motivating yourself. Find small victoires to be proud of and small easily acheivable goals to aim for - and don't forget to celebrate when you reach them! (but not with food!)
  • RSEC75
    RSEC75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Please don't quit, you are not alone in this. About 2 years ago I put on a lot of weight over a period of 6 months due to stress. Added to the steady gain in weight that probably started 20 years ago when I left my parents’ home and their control on my diet, I am now very unhappy with my weight. I also find that stress, which I still have rather a lot of and have had days off work recently due to, causes me to just eat take-out too often, and to snack through the day on anything I can.

I hate my body image just now. I was recently sorting out some photos from my Mum's birthday to share with my family and I just had to delete most of the ones I appeared in. It was in a heatwave here and so I was in shorts and T-shirt, far too hot for anything else, and I just hate how I look in those pictures (which are now gone forever, can't bear to even keep them).

I'm not good at exercising either, my husband and I are both pretty sedentary people, he also needs to lose weight though he's not put it on as quickly as me. My brother keeps telling me how exercise helps with stress and I do find myself mentally more awake after exercise, which I like. But having tried for the last couple of years to start regularly exercising and failing time and time again I know that's not the way I'm going to lose weight. Like you my hubby and I are both lazy and without him being motivated it's really hard to motivate myself, we also both have a reasonable level of stress with our jobs at the moment which doesn't help.

I'm trying just now to count my calories and reduce my intake to a sustainable level that leads to a slow steady weight loss even with a sedentary lifestyle, then supplement with exercise when I can motivate myself enough for that, but the exercise is NOT needed in my weight loss plan because I know I won't keep it up. I also don't plan to lose too fast because I think I'm more likely to succeed long term that way.

I don't know if it will work for you, but I was able to convince my hubby how low my self-esteem was and that I needed him to help by trying to take the same steps to loose weight as me (yes I admit I broke down trying to tell him because it meant admitting it to myself as much as to him). He's really tried to help, though I know he's finding it hard too, but it is much easier for us to do this together than just one of us doing it because we can plan meals together (though his heavier weight than me and just being male means he should eat more than me).

We've tried to get around the whole "takeout several times a week" thing (getting home too stressed/tried to cook) in a few of ways...

1) Frozen food we can shove in the oven (which we were eating anyway) but instead of putting fries or potato wedges, or other similar products in the oven with it we take just a few minutes to chop root veg and shove that in to roast. The frozen food is not ideal and we avoid "ready meals" that are "everything in". Rather they will be things like our local supermarket does (actually in the fresh section and we freeze them) such as real raw chicken breast in a readymade sauce, then you add what you want with it (in the old days fries, now veg). As I said not ideal but having worked out the figures it’s WAY better than takeout.

2) When having a less stressed more awake night we prepare multiple portions of good homemade meals that can be frozen and used on nights we are more tired/stressed. Again we try and put fresh chopped veg that we can shove in to roast in the oven while they are heating, rather than shoving in fries or similar as we would have done in the past.

3) Tried to find meals we can cook with little thought, even if they take time. Some meals such as Spaghetti Bolognese (from scratch) I can almost make in my sleep because it was one of the first I learnt as a teenager (even though it's changed slightly over the years). I've found some others I find easy and can do without thinking as well, it's a matter of learning a recipe really well so you don't have to think. Some nights I'm mentally but not so physically stressed. I've found if I can push myself to get into the kitchen once I'm there I switch into 'auto-pilot' and make the meal hardly thinking about it. Even though I would say I'm someone that doesn't like cooking unless I have to, I can actually find myself relaxing with making these 'easy' meals.

5) Alternating who cooks, BUT the other person is present in the kitchen (we've put one of the dining chairs in there) and even helps out with small jobs, gives the occasional stir etc. I'm lucky hubby is actually the better cook, but both of us often feel tired and stressed and don't want to go into the kitchen on our own to cook (or even just prepare the veg on a lazier day). With both of us in the kitchen generally one of us is less stressed than the other and takes the turn to cook, while we chat. The chatting helps relieve stress and by the time we've been there a few minutes the other person often feels up to giving a hand.

4) Still having the odd take out, but counting the calories and balancing it with lower calorie days. Only having one once a fortnight on the really worst stress days instead of several times a week.

In addition we have tried to cut out sweet drinks and drink a lot of water instead. I used to drink fruit flavour squashes a lot (ever since I was a kid), the sort you buy a concentrate to mix with water, and I never realised until I started calorie counting how I was almost doubling my calorie intake with the number I had (several pints worth a day as I didn’t drink anything else… except fizzy cans which I’ve also cut out, but I knew they were bad). When I feel the need for a sweet drink now I have natural fruit juice as it’s healthier and only one a day and count it in my calorie count.

This weekend hubby and I bought lots of fresh fruit and made a large bowl of fruit salad and are using it to snack instead of cookies or the like. We’ve done that in the past as well and it can last about 5 days in the fridge. It still has calories and we still count them, but is a much healthier way to snack.

And just like the takeaways I still eat some sweets, chocolates, cookies etc, but count them in my calories. I’ve found using the Android Phone app helps me keep going with MFP recording because it’s so easy (and you can scan bar-codes to quickly add things) and adding sweets, chocolates etc immediately helps me resist the temptation of eating the whole packet at once (which I usually would do, including whole packets of cookies).

These are the things we've been doing for a couple of months now, so far so good. I’ve lost weight since I started recording on MFP almost two weeks ago, but we only started measuring hubby’s weight this week so still to see on that. I’ve not given up so far even on really tired stressed nights, even though I've missed exercising quite a lot of times.

Sorry for such a long reply, but I hope some of the things I’m doing can inspire/help you. I was in just the same boat, both of us being lazy and stressed and tired and lacking motivation, but this is working so far.
  • PixieMidoriKitten
    PixieMidoriKitten Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Amy Louise,
    The first thing to say is well done on being honest and open about how you feel - this is really hard to do sometimes.
    Also, thanks for reaching out to the community, it's good to see that there are people who can offer you a lot of great advice here.

I am a batch-maker, on the odd weekend I will stick on some music and spend the day in the kitchen making healthy meals that I can chuck in the freezer. My husband works away a lot as he is involved in the Live Music industry, and I am a consultant so I often finish work late, sometimes I have 4 dinners out for work in one week and they always include offers of copious amounts of alcohol.
    I take the slimline tonic, no gin approach wherever I can, having one small glass of wine with dinner and aiming for fish, chicken or lean beef with as much veg and as little starch as I can. I normally refuse starters and will often take either sorbet or peppermint tea as my dessert. I do let loose sometimes though and have a "proper" dessert, but never more than once in a week.

I think there have been some really good bit of advice already on this thread, Particularly from RSEC75 the only thing I can add is to keep going!
    Use the barcode scanner and the app so that you are tracking all day (I have set up a separate "meal" for drinks, it's amazing how much my recent latte addiction has been ruining my figures, now I'm down to one a day, and skinny milk when I can get it) .

Good luck xx
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Let today be the first day that you drop the excuses. All of them.
  • redrose1026
    redrose1026 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started this journey a month ago at 205. My biggest motivator to get started was seeing the scale go over the 200 mark. For me it was horrifying because I had never been over 200 lb (other than being pregnant with my daughter) in my life. I am only 5 ft 1, so that is an extreme amount of weight for my little frame to be carrying around.

At some point you have to decide that enough is enough. Once you've hit that point, you have to start finding ways to motivate yourself. A huge motivator for me has been to go through the success stories board on this forum and look at pictures of what these amazing people here have accomplished and imagine myself that way in 6 months. I also go through pinterest and motivate myself. Another huge motivator for me is that I have a family wedding to attend coming up in a couple of months and I just don't want to feel disgusting in front of all those friends and family that I haven't seen in a long time. I also registered for a 5k 6-7 months out so I have plenty of time & no excuses to quit. So, if you can, pick a milestone thats coming up - vacation? new year? maybe register for a 5k or another fitness event - that you have to pay money for and therefore need to stick to a plan? family photos? or make one for yourself. Plan a reward like a vacation or a weekend get-away. Set an alarm on your phone to log your food every day & another to weigh in every single week. Hold yourself accountable.

Hope you get motivated and find it within yourself to say that enough is enough!! Feel free to add me :)
  • idmalone
    idmalone Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't quit! I would suggest trying to do two things for the next two weeks. Number one is check yourself everytime you speak/ think negatively about yourself. Just note it, and try to give yourself a break from hearing 'lazy' or 'fat' (in a negative sense - I am fat but that is OK, because I know it is a temporary thing!). A good technique is to simply not bully yourself, because you deserve to hear nice things. One good thing is - you reached out for support, go you!

The second thing is just do one healthy thing for two weeks. Just one. I would suggest some exercise, because that will make you feel a lot better and help with your stress. Start with ten minutes per day and aim to build up to 20 mins by the end of the second week. It can be ANYTHING. Dancing in your living room, walking, swimming, treadmill - anything.

Then, once you are feeling a bit more self esteem, try changing one meal per day. So week one, just change your breakfast to a healthy one. That way you are not trying to learn how to cook all new foods at one time.

Will this lead to massive weight loss and immediate gratification? No. But it will lead to you feeling a bit more in control of stuff. You sound like you feel overwhelmed and you can't win if you try to take on the entire thing at once.

Finally, stop comparing yourself to anyone else, because that way leads to madness.

And find someone to talk to about your stress, like a counsellor: it will help.

Big hugs and good luck, just keep coming back here and log everything, even the junk food - because you can track the changes once you start substituting healthy stuff.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I started. With one picture. OMG I was so disgusted with myself when I saw that picture. I immediately started on MFP and haven't looked back. If you quit now where will you be a year from now?

But if you start now where will you be a year from now?
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    _Don't give up!!!!
    _Don't worry about motivating your husband, keep yourself motivated. Maybe your results and resolve will motivate him
    _Vent your stress through exercise, you will be amazed at how much better your mind will feel after a good solid sweat session.
    Don't try to change everything at once, pick one thing, maybe home cooked good instead of take out, and focus on just that for a few weeks. Once you get back into the swing of eating at home then maybe start logging and paying attention to the calories you are consuming. Then add in a walk. Keep building your distances as your body will tolerate (know that being sore is one thing, and it is to be expected, but pain is quite another...ask yourself if you can push through the soreness and continue walking as long as you can). You will be quite amazed at how many results you will see by just eating a little less and moving a little more. Your body will adjust to the new demands and your pain will likely disappear. Good Luck!!
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Sounds as though your life is pretty tough right now. Feeling you have control over at least one thing in your life will help. Try to have control over your food -- it will make you feel better.

I eat fast food, but I order only ONE thing from the value menu or dollar menu -- all the fast food places have some kind of inexpensive menu. The portions are generally smaller, so you have portion control that way. It's still crap food, but at least it's fewer calories, less expensive and still easy to do.

I agree with batch cooking. Sometimes I'll get the ingredients for meatballs, for instance. Make a bunch of meatballs, figure out the calories. Cook them in jar pasta sauce with lots of added veggies. I like to add onion, bell peppers, tomatoes to the pasta sauce with the meatballs. I used to eat pasta with the sauce and meatballs, but now I eat the meatballs and pasta sauce with either zucchini or with a slice of toast. One slice of toast is a lot less calories than a 4-ounce portion of pasta.

Or, cook a whole chicken -- either roast it or poach it in chicken broth. When it's cool, tear the meat off and store it in a container in the frig. Then it's easy to measure out a portion and use it to make a sandwich, or add to canned soup with some frozen veggies, or shred to eat in soft tacos.

I'm concerned about the bullying. If you can't do anything about it right now, do a bunch of research online to find out how other people deal with bullying, or just to learn more about why it happens. Knowledge is power!
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is that the days, weeks, and months are going to past anyway. Where do I want to be one month from now? How about 6 months from now or a year?

The only way I'm going to get there is by making daily changes in my life. Focus on one day at a time and don't beat your self up if you have a "bad" day. You can only be responsible for yourself, your husband will either make the choice to join you or not.

I find reading the success stories on here very motivating, it is inspiring to see how people have made such fantastic changes in their lives.

See yourself a year from now posting your success story, YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!
  • songofruth
    songofruth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the weight so much, nor even the exercise. Pick just one thing, one thing that if you do it, your life will be just a bit easier. For me, that was taking a shower when I first get up, before I go to work. I used to take a shower after work instead of before. I have long hair which takes forever to blow dry so I prefer to air dry it. So I didn't like taking a shower last thing of the day because then I'd sleep on wet hair. That left my scalp wet too long leading to more dandruff... not to mention the creative ways my hair would dry. Plus I sleep much better if my hair is controlled in a braid when I sleep which wasn't doable if it was wet. But I'd get home and I'd be really tired (some health related fatigue issues) so I'd put off that shower. Or my husband would have dinner ready and we'd eat in front of the TV and so forth. And next thing I knew, it'd be bedtime and I'd be going to bed with wet hair again. So I moved the shower to when I get up. I was concerned that I'd get aggravation from my DH because we weren't spending our mornings together any more. I was concerned because I used to use that time for a gentle slow start to the day. But I did it anyway, figuring hey I don't truly need to be too awake when I have a shower and maybe it would wake me up and DH would just have to deal. That's a long way to say that that one small change is leading to other small changes. I don't beat myself up because it's 2 minutes to bedtime and I haven't had a shower so I feel better that way. DH was fine with the change so I feel like he'll be fine with other changes, which in its own way is kind of huge because when you feel like you're having to just fight for the right to breathe in the rest of your life even small things at home can feel like a huge fight. And now I'm making another small change - exercising when I get home from work. My definition of exercising that is. Which is me using one of the exercise machines here at home while I watch TV for an uninterrupted 1/2 hour, with lots of stops and starts. The small step right now is to take that 1/2 hour to at least fake exercising. I stop and start because I'm hugely out of shape. But I know that if I keep doing this every day after work, eventually I won't be stopping so much. And it's having an impact elsewhere - I used to be more casual about when I left work since it felt like it didn't matter. Well, now it does matter, it matters to me because I've made a commitment to myself to fake-exercise 1/2 hour every day after work. And once I have that down, I'll tweak something else.

So pick one thing. Maybe that one thing right now is laying out your work clothes the night before. Maybe it's getting a healthy snack ready the night before so in the morning you can just take it and go. Maybe it's buying a coffee maker with a timer so it will wake you up in the morning with lovely coffee smell. Just pick one thing, one small thing.
  • rhodieridge13
    rhodieridge13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, please don't be discouraged. You are a beautiful woman, and it sounds as if your husband truly cares for you.

Take one day at a time, if you have to, take it one hour or meal at a time. Make small changes. If you mess up, start again at the next meal; DON'T wait a full day. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

I'm concerned about the person who is bullying you. This a mean spirited person. Is there any way you can avoid contact with them (I guess you would have already.....)

I was 273 at my highest weight, today I'm down 80 pounds, but I joined MFP half way thru my journey. I wish I had MFP earlier, because I find it very helpful.

TRACK everything you eat. Even the bad stuff. It makes you more accountable, and aware. Take small fitness steps.

Feel free to friend me.

Good luck with your journey.....
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the weight so much, nor even the exercise. Pick just one thing, one thing that if you do it, your life will be just a bit easier. For me, that was taking a shower when I first get up, before I go to work. I used to take a shower after work instead of before. I have long hair which takes forever to blow dry so I prefer to air dry it. So I didn't like taking a shower last thing of the day because then I'd sleep on wet hair. That left my scalp wet too long leading to more dandruff... not to mention the creative ways my hair would dry. Plus I sleep much better if my hair is controlled in a braid when I sleep which wasn't doable if it was wet. But I'd get home and I'd be really tired (some health related fatigue issues) so I'd put off that shower. Or my husband would have dinner ready and we'd eat in front of the TV and so forth. And next thing I knew, it'd be bedtime and I'd be going to bed with wet hair again. So I moved the shower to when I get up. I was concerned that I'd get aggravation from my DH because we weren't spending our mornings together any more. I was concerned because I used to use that time for a gentle slow start to the day. But I did it anyway, figuring hey I don't truly need to be too awake when I have a shower and maybe it would wake me up and DH would just have to deal. That's a long way to say that that one small change is leading to other small changes. I don't beat myself up because it's 2 minutes to bedtime and I haven't had a shower so I feel better that way. DH was fine with the change so I feel like he'll be fine with other changes, which in its own way is kind of huge because when you feel like you're having to just fight for the right to breathe in the rest of your life even small things at home can feel like a huge fight. And now I'm making another small change - exercising when I get home from work. My definition of exercising that is. Which is me using one of the exercise machines here at home while I watch TV for an uninterrupted 1/2 hour, with lots of stops and starts. The small step right now is to take that 1/2 hour to at least fake exercising. I stop and start because I'm hugely out of shape. But I know that if I keep doing this every day after work, eventually I won't be stopping so much. And it's having an impact elsewhere - I used to be more casual about when I left work since it felt like it didn't matter. Well, now it does matter, it matters to me because I've made a commitment to myself to fake-exercise 1/2 hour every day after work. And once I have that down, I'll tweak something else.

So pick one thing. Maybe that one thing right now is laying out your work clothes the night before. Maybe it's getting a healthy snack ready the night before so in the morning you can just take it and go. Maybe it's buying a coffee maker with a timer so it will wake you up in the morning with lovely coffee smell. Just pick one thing, one small thing.

This, so much this. I love lists; maybe you don't, but give this a try anyway. Take out a calendar and write down a tiny baby step to practice for the week. One of the suggestions above, or something else. Tracking is always a good place to start. Then for the next week, do the same. Maybe make an appointment with yourself on Sunday night to review how you did for the week and pick the next thing. If you break it down into steps, it isn't so difficult.

And I highly recommend starting with diet first, then adding exercise when you are consistent with your logging and staying at calorie goals. One step at a time---you can do it!
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience. I had a picture taken of me and I was so disgusted with myself and how I looked cried that whole night and didn't sleep and cried half the day. That is when I got mad at myself for letting myself go. I stuck that picture up so I had to see it every single day and to remind me how miserable I was feeling by looking at it. I knew I was big but it didn't hit me until I saw that pic. I found this site and it's all changing for me. It took a long time to gain this weight so it's going to take a long time to get it off. I still have a ways to go but I have made a lot of progress and pretty proud of myself. Honestly, exercising helps to relieve some of that stress. You also get a sense of accomplishment for every small loss you make. Set short term goals. Once you hit one, make another. I have had snotty comments about my weight by my guys son and now it is a small part of my mission to stick it in his face when it's gone. Don't get depressed by what others say. You prove them wrong instead. I agree that you have to start being totally honest with yourself and what you need to change. Excuses are what got you in this mess to begin with. Once you stop doing that and stop letting things get in your way and making a real honest effort, things will change for you. Good luck to you and if you want to add me to your friends list I would be more than happy to accept.
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Please don't quit...I know it's hard. Please feel free to add me !!
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ohh, please don't quit!! :flowerforyou: I feel your pain, I have been in your shoes. Everyone has posted really good suggestions. I would add one thing that sounds kinda corny but it helps to get my attitude right from when I wake up in the morning. Before you even get out of bed find ONE THING to be grateful for or ONE THING to be thankful for. We all have huge stressors in our lives and I find something positive helps to keep me more focused.

Good luck and add me if you like.

Sharon
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The choice is yours... either feel worse than you already do in a year, or do something about it now and feel accomplished and proud of yourself in a year. Then take small steps. For me, it was fixing my diet first, then I started exercising.